[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your stance on japanese games whose western version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png (192KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png
192KB, 250x355px
What's your stance on japanese games whose western version is more difficult than the japanese original?

Which one is the true version for you?

This applies to:
Castlevania 3
Contra: Hard Corps
Popful Mail
Streets Of Rage 3

Yesterday I saw Mike's playthrough of Contra: Hard Corps' american release. Very impressive.
>>
I think generally the original version is more enjoyable. Everything was likely more carefully thought out as opposed to being cranked up later.
>>
Rental measures.
>>
>>3813762
Obviously the originals, they're far better balanced.

I like hard games, but when they're carefully thought, things like Shillhoete Mirage and Exile 2 were a mess.
>>
>>3813762
Depends on the game
SoR 3 is censored, so the original may be better.
But I think unlimited continues and 3-hit death on Hard Corps killed the challenge.
>>
Well, even Hardcoregaming101 called Hard Corps out for being unbearably difficult. I haven't played it myself but is the US version really that retarded?
>>
It depends on the game,

>>3813976
>even Hardcoregaming101
You mean the retards that suck at video games and write stupid shit like this
>[The Genesis version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts] also has a cheat mode where you can slow down the game, play it in Japanese, make Arthur invulnerable (you will be amazed at how difficult the game is even then), or select which level to begin at. Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats, this is easily the best version of the game and arguably the best platformer on the console.
>>
>>3813762
I think the US version of Contra HC is the ideal, after all it's a contra, you should die after one hit.

SoR3 on the other hands gets too tiresome with enemies having infinite lifebars
>>
>>3813976
>even Hardcoregaming101 called Hard Corps out for being unbearably difficult.
Hardcore Gaming 101 is a complete misnomer. Their writers credit-feed arcade games on MAME and recommend console ports with invincibility cheats (pic related). Their Darius and Kunio-kun reviews have some pretty cringe-worthy opinions on their difficulty too. Let's not even get started on Kurt's Cave shooters editorial.
>>
>>3813762
You can add Ninja Gaiden III to that list.
>>
>>3814014
Hard Corps doesn't differ that much between the JP and US versions outside the lack of a life gauge and limited continues in the latter. Ideally you should be mastering the game to the point that you shouldn't even be hit.
>>
>>3814007
>>3814017
Yeah fuck those guys for having a life!
>>
>>3814757
and how that relates to being a complete shitter in your hobby
>>
>>3814764
Good at games? YOU MUST HAVE NO LIFE!
>>
>>3814764
>>3814765
>I waste literally every second of my life perfecting some ancient ass game no one cares about I'm soooo coool!
>W-why don't girls like me?!

But hey I guess that high score in Chase the Chuck Wagon was totally worth being a 37 year old virgin!
>>
>>3814774
They have time for writing shitty reviews, then they have time for playing video games, as simple as that you stupid fuck.
>>
>>3814774
sweet projection, nerd

>ywn be naturally good at games and an alpha male lady's man like me
>>
>>3814774
>But hey I guess that high score in Chase the Chuck Wagon was totally worth being a 37 year old virgin!
That's nice anon, but we're talking about HG101 here, not your life story.

At any rate, I don't even mind their self-professed casualness that much. Even they admit that their site's name was a misnomer (although they have a bunch of other issues). So them bitching about Contra Hard Corps' U.S. difficulty is not really a good indicator of how difficult it is.
>>
How solid is the rental theory when it comes to these games?

It's beyond me how anyone can say that the american verion of Contra Hard Corps is the real one. It is a japanese game developen in Japan for a japanese console and people seriously consider the retarded american localisation as the one to go for? Just because it's more difficult? The japanese version is difficult enough.
>>
>>3815327
The Contra games were generally made for the western market in mind. It was never a big name in Japan like Gradius and Goemon, hence why the Genesis never got those two IPs.

I know Shattered Soldier came out first in the U.S. and there's evidence to suggest that the NES Contra was actually made BEFORE the Famicom version with the VRC2 chip and added cutscenes.
>>
>>3813762
fuck i love this game
>>
>>3815327
>It is a japanese game developed in Japan
And the same people decided that the western version should be harder, your point?
>>
>>3813762
i like the japanese version of contra hard corps better but that's because im a little priss.
>>
>>3813762
Mixed. Sometimes original stuff is too easy and sometimes extra difficulty is just anal.

Bare Knuckle 3 is too easy but enjoyable, SoR3 is too hard it just gets unfun.

Contra Hard Corps needed a one hit kill mode as an option at least.

Akumajou Densetsu had parts too easy like the Leviathan and mummies while Castlevania 3 was just a piece of shit for spamming bats for cheap deaths.
>>
>>3816159

Yes, what is the point of that bullshit? Didn't Konami have a US branch? Maybe they were able to cash in on the highter rental revenue.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.