[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Duck Hunt a big deal back in the day? It's one of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: duckhunt-prize.jpg (87KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
duckhunt-prize.jpg
87KB, 1366x768px
Was Duck Hunt a big deal back in the day? It's one of the best selling games on the system but a big part of that seems like it's just the 2-in-1 cartridge with SMB being counted. You never really see anyone talk about it anymore, how popular of a game was it back when the NES first came out? Was it a phenomenon like SMB was?

Also why did so few NES games make use of the zapper? Was working with the thing particularly difficult or something? It came with a lot of systems at launch so there should have been a good install base for games that made use of it. Why did support for it get dropped so completely?
>>
>>3813390
Duck Hunt is shit.
At least Alex the Kid was cool.
t. born in 1999 so fuck you lol
>>
>>3813392
Kill Em All 1989
I am trash man
>>
It was just a novelty at the time
>Holy shit you use an actual gun to play this game
>Aww you can't shoot the dog for laughing at you.
>Let's play Mario or Megaman instead
>>
>>3813390

I'd say so, was the first game I ever played and I'm still hooked... probably happend to other people as well
>>
>>3813390

Was Duck Hunt even available as a separate cart?
>>
File: IMG_3535.jpg (139KB, 934x1049px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3535.jpg
139KB, 934x1049px
>>3813879
Yes it was. I own a standalone Duck Hunt cartridge.
>>
>>3813390
Its just a very basic game, for better or for worse. Today something like this would count as a flash game or something from WarioWare. The majority of people nowadays forget that Nintendo used to make very simple arcade-style games before SMB, some of which didn't even use side scrolling. It was closer to Atari-style stuff than anything.
So I guess Duck Hunt falls into the same category as Wild Gunman, Urban Champion, Ice Climber, etc. It's not that these are bad games. It's just that they're very shallow, short and primitive even by NES standards. Pac-Man was simple, but it had its layer of depth; even today it's an addictive game. And Duck Hunt simply becomes stale after what, a day of playing.

> Also why did so few NES games make use of the zapper?
It's not like lightgun shooters were big on any console after it. They remain a thing of their own.
>>
>>3813963

Neat.
>>
>>3813390
It is a two player game. You can control the ducks with one of the controllers.
>>
>>3813390
It's just that the guns would break...
I loved it. That and mike tyson's punch out were probably the only games I played all the time.

we had popeye. SMB/DH. Ghost n goblins. Mike Tyson's. and Contra.

I was pretty young so the other games were just too hard for me. Duck Hunt was just a fun little game anyone could play and still is.

problem is the guns always seemed to fuck up eventually.
>>
>>3813390
Well I couldn't really be sure since I was young. It was one of the first games I played.
>>3814025
Yeah it is definitely a game about score. Not getting to any end point. So it would be more similar to Atari games. I was pretty excited to see the dog in Smash until I found out they made it into a shitty character with a duck friend.
>>
>>3813486
>It was just a novelty at the time
No it wasn't
Fucking Magnavox Oddysey had a shotgun
>>
> Was Duck Hunt a big deal back in the day?

yeh it was like magic. cant even do something like that today w LCD or even plasma.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_040540.jpg (83KB, 1280x695px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_040540.jpg
83KB, 1280x695px
nes had joke tier light gun games
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.