[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just played through Sam and Max Hit the Road for the first time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: Sam&Max.jpg (85KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sam&Max.jpg
85KB, 640x400px
Just played through Sam and Max Hit the Road for the first time. I thought it was great. What are some other good point and click adventures?
>>
>>3812552
Discworld 1&2
Beneath a Steel Sky
I Have No Mouth
Monkey Island 1&2
Gabriel Knight
The Neverhood
King's Quest VI
Garage: Bad Dream Adventure
>>
>>3812608
Covers a lot, but I'd add:
The rest of LucasArts' games, especially Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle
Broken Sword 1 & 2
The Longest Journey
Flight of the Amazon Queen
>>
>>3812608
You forgot Monkey Island 3, son.

Also Teen Agent, which is free off gog.
>>
>>3812630
Curse was shit, sorry.
>>
Fate of Atlantis, Baby.
>>
>>3812552
The Dig?
>>
>>3812552
Much of the Sierra-era Leisure suit Larry-series. Except Larry 4, that was really shit.

Lure of the Temptress.

Full Throttle.
>>
>>3812658
Fuck you, your taste is shit.
>>
Does /vr/ use Scummvm?
>>
>>3812715
why would you NOT use it?

i believe ron gilbert (programmer of the original SCUMM engine) even claims that it's the definitive way to play these games now
>>
>>3812715
I use dosbox.
>>
File: harvester house of flame.jpg (345KB, 1030x793px) Image search: [Google]
harvester house of flame.jpg
345KB, 1030x793px
Harvester
>>
>>3812608
>>3812620
>>3812630
>>3812676
All good suggestions, especially the Monkey Island series pre #4.
Broken Sword 1, 2 and 5 (not retro) are excellent.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlanis talkie version is amazing.

>>3812715
I sure hope so.
Coupled with MT-32 emulation, it is the best way to play these games.
>>
Hit the Road is my favorite adventure game, great choice.

Runner up is Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, a lot more serious but nails the atmosphere and is just comfy as hell.

The Monkey Islands are also great and Full Throttle is short but sweet.
>>
File: discnoir10.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
discnoir10.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>3812608
And Discworld Noir

Graphics are skanky but the humour and game itself are amazing.
>>
I have no idea if pic related is good but I definitely enjoyed it when I was a kid and it's got some decent voice talent in it so I'd assume it's worth a look.
>>
>>3812630
>>3812710
Agree with the second poster.
Huge Monkey Island fan and Curse is my favourite. Not a popular opinion as MI2 is considered by most to be the best.
However Curse has spectacular art (those backgrounds) and great voice acting that holds up today,
Don't let idiot neckbeards disparage you. Play MI1, MI2 and Curse.
It's honestly my favourite game of all time and I play through it yearly.

For reference:
CMI > MI2 > MI > TMI 4 > TMI 1 > TMI 5 > TMI 2 > TMI 3 > MI 4
>>
>>3813571
You're... ranking the individual Tales episodes? I just lump them all together.
>>
I appreciate all the suggestions, guys. I'm currently playing Day of the Tentacle as well as Fate of Atlantis. Also just got I Have No Mouth.
>>
Just going through Grim Fandango now, it's pretty great, which adventure games are similar/as good?
>>
>>3812676
>>3812697

These guys know whats up

Although "The Dig" is pro-mode. Play a few more point and clicks before moving onto that beast
>>
>no Loom, LucasArts' magnum opus

/vr/, I AM GREATLY DISAPPOINT.
>>
Broken Sword 1 & 2 are great.
[Spoiler]Not played the 3rd one, I have no xbox[/spoiler]
>>
>>3812552
Might be a bit of a meme answer but Eastern Mind is really fucking neat.
>>
>>3814551
so tell me about loom
>>
>>3814780
Why does he wear the mask!?
>>
>>3813580
Well, some are merely ok and some are absolute dog shit.
Tales never came close to the originals :(
>>
>>3814930
The episodic nature was ultimately its downfall. Each & every episode boiled down to "Get 3 of ____" & this didn't allow for grander, encompassing meta-puzzles which tied better into the plot.
>>
Why are Telltale adventure games so shit?
>>
>>3814950
The Sam & Max games are fine, and the Strong Bad one is damn close to a masterpiece, but they kinda lost their steam after those.
>>
>>3813571
>great voice acting
You'd have to be deaf in one ear and only know voice acting from Saturday morning cartoons to seriously think that.
>>
I'm jonesing pretty hard. Is there any p-n-c horror game with quality on the scale of the Trilby series?
>>
The Kyrandia series
>>
>>3814950
I liked the the walking dead games.
>>
File: bttf telltale.jpg (65KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
bttf telltale.jpg
65KB, 700x394px
>>3814950
>overly simplified gameplay mechanics
>episodic format ruins the pacing
>puzzles are not really puzzles
>illusion of choices

I loved TWD, but it's not the type of adventure game that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place. I don't think the episodic format is inherently bad either, but I think a full consistent game is always better than episodic game released piece by piece.

My biggest beef with telltale games is that they're not the classic style point'n'click adventure games. There is no hassling with the inventory because there is barely any items to be hold in the inventory, puzzles are lame and so obvious that they are barely even puzzles ie. use key on door.

Back to the Future game was alright and the closest thing we'll ever get to BTTF: Part 4, but it's more like an interactive cartoon than actual adventure game.
>>
>>3812552
I love Sam and Max Hit the Road! I have them tattooed on my leg (but more for the comic than the game).

My favorite from that sort of point and click adventures is Flight of the Amazon Queen.

The Dig is very good, I don't see why people think it was so difficult.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream has great atmosphere. It's dark and weird, try it if you think it's for you.

Beneath a Steel Sky is great fun, consider that one as well.
>>
File: dreamcast-31922-11314144750.jpg (249KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast-31922-11314144750.jpg
249KB, 640x480px
I want to second the recommendations for the Broken Sword games.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.