[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A local Arcade Bar is opening up near me in 2 months. They are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1487630183200.jpg (38KB, 470x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487630183200.jpg
38KB, 470x720px
A local Arcade Bar is opening up near me in 2 months. They are saying they are going to carry up to 45 arcade games no older than 2004.

Anyone have Barcades near them? Do most owners know how to treat and fix the cabinets or they just say FUCK IT LOL.
>>
>>3812483
>none older than 2004
WAIT A GOD DAMN MINUTE
NOT RETRO REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3812492
The majority of them are 80's 90's games.
>>
Yeah, I usually just drink beer and play South Park pinball or beat le so retro hipsters at MK2. That's if I even go because I'd rather buy booze cheaper and play with friends on the couch.
>>
I haven't been to Ground Kontrol in years but last I went they had employees trying to fix a house of the dead cabinet while I was there shitting on niggas on 3rd Strike, which had bummy buttons on 2P though.
>>
>>3812496
you sure you didn't mean no NEWER than 2004 OP?

personally I think putting cutoff dates on the games is dumb, just have an arcade full of good stuff.
>>
>>3812483
>Do most owners know how to treat and fix the cabinets or they just say FUCK IT LOL.

Usually the latter. Thankfully I'm like the only guy at my local barcade that plays Strikers so it's still in great condition however tons of the more popular ones just end up in shit condition and stay like that until they're finally replaced. What infuriates me the most is when they never bother to calibrate their lightgun games.
>>
I've been to quite a few barcodes lately. Most of them are complete shit. Throw a couple cabinets you could find in a laundromat into a small ass space and serve half the drinks a normal bar would. This is a trend that should die.
>>
>>3812550
>I DON'T LIKE THING SO IT SHOULD DIE EVEN IF OTHERS ENJOY IT CAUSE THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ONLY ME MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!

Ok kid back to /v/ with you.
>>
Besides the fact that I'm a dateless autistic what I hate about barcades are the drunks. Drunks don't treat hardware well so naturally shit is broken no matter how on top the staff is.
>>
>>3812483
My local one is decent about upkeep. The Outrun cabinet hasn't worked in a while but they did fix the controls on MvC the couple of times that they started acting screwy.
>>
>>3812559
Because I don't like going to bars with a bad game selection, poorly maintained cabinets, and even worse drinks? Okay.
>>
>Arcade has a game in a candy cabinet.
>No stool to sit on.
Really triggers me.
>>
File: mini me.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mini me.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>3812483
Not aware of any barcades anywhere near me. Only hundreds of real arcades. Should I feel sad?

>>3812958
Who says short people got no reason to live?
>>
I've been to two different ones. One cab (maybe 2? can't remember for sure) had a 16:9 LCD in one of the cabs.

I wonder how many of these types of places actually employ techs, even if on a temporary basis, or if they just buy cabs on Craigslist and proceed to run them until they reach an unplayable state. I have a decent collection of arcade stuff myself, so seeing things like overbright/washed out and minimally calibrated monitors really bothers me, especially since I'd guess that a good deal of the time the monitor is mostly fine and would look a hundred times better if they spent five minutes in the game's test mode to calibrate the colors.

Finding an arcade run by a fellow enthusiast would be awesome.
>>
>>3812958
>go to Gameworks in Ontario
>they have Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom in a candy cab
>sit down
>the stool is too high, my knees are above the joystick

Thankfully they had a better stool the next time I came.
>>
>>3812483
Theres a barcade in dallas, its shit. nothing but 21 year olds there for le epik culture, and music. last time I went with friends it was crowded it took forever to get a drink and I couldnt even get a game in because the fucking kids stood infront of the cabinets. So it's not made to actually play vidya but to socialize with some faux nerdy bitches.
>>
>>3812483
The one that opened up in my town only has old boring ass 70s and 80s retro-hipster arcade stuff and fighting games. Which is OK if you like that stuff but I have been hard pressed to find a fucking Time Crisis cabinet in 50 miles.
>>
Up-Down KC here

We actually contract with a guy who comes down four times a year from Omaha to fix any of our cabinets/displays that have problems. It's pretty cheap, especially compared to the costs of shipping them somewhere (freight is usually cheapest then, and it's still just monstrously expensive), and he does quality work -- the longest we ever had to wait was when he drove back to Omaha for a weekend to get a specialty part for our Sega Rally Driver cabinet.

I will say that there are a lot of owners catching up to the idea that these machines are like classic cars and deserve quality replacements, but neither can I blame some of the smaller operations for cutting corners, especially if their revenue doesn't allow for expensive repairs. The best way you as the customer can ensure we have quality machines with quality fixes is to come patronize the machines we do have.

Oh, and one other piece of advice: Ask about machines you'd like to see. Often! After about the 20th person asked me if I was gonna get an X-Men arcade cabinet, I went and bought the fucker.
>>
>>3814670
You guys related to Up-Down in Des Moines? I haven't gone to ours in forever because so many of the machines had issues. X-Men arcade being a huge one, why wouldn't I want to play that with friends?
>>
>>3813084
>Not aware of any barcades anywhere near me. Only hundreds of real arcades. Should I feel sad?
No. Barcades only exist once regularly arcades don't make enough money to be sustainable.
>>
>>3814680

No, we're a separate business, though I do know of them (funny story -- a guy once came into our business with about $5000 in cash because he wanted to buy a machine we didn't have -- turns out it was the Up Down in Des Moines and I guess he didn't do the research?).

X-Men Arcade is a nice one, we actually have the Children Of The Atom multiplayer cabinet right now and there's always a line of reserve quarters on it by 7.
>>
>>3814545
freeplay?
>>
Local club has Street fighter and a couple of other games in the corner. I go there with friends and end up just spending my change from beer on Street Fighter most of the time.
>>
16 bit arcade in Columbus Ohio. A nice mixture of old titles like Tron, Defender, and Robotron with newer games like Deer Hunter or NBA Jam.

The beer is also top notch and theres an awesome hotdog place right next door called Dirty Franks.
>>
Saint Louis here. We have a few Arcade Bars opening up but at the moment, none are very special. I once went to one in Chicago that blew my mind. Emporium was what it was called. Fuck, it was like heaven for me. Amazing cabs and great beer.
>>
https://m.yelp.com/biz/another-castle-oakland-park

I know one of the owners of this place. Pretty cool people desu if youre ever in south florida.
>>
>>3814717

Not him, but I've been to both Freeplay (Richardson) and Barcadia (Lower Greenville).

Of the two, Freeplay had the better selection of games when I went. Stuff that you can't easily emulate (or buy a PCB of and throw in a standard JAMMA cab and be good-to-go) is always nice to see in an arcade, so Lucky and Wild was fun.
>>
>>3814717
Nah barcadia. I forgot about freeplay. That place is actually decent imo.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.