[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo 64 appreciation thread. I know the library wasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: Nintendo 64 Rotating Logo.gif (105KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo 64 Rotating Logo.gif
105KB, 500x230px
Nintendo 64 appreciation thread.
I know the library wasn't very impressive, especially compared to the Playstation, but there were more than a few solid games, and I have very fond memories of the console growing up.
What are your top 5 Nintendo 64 games?
Which games do you remember playing with friends back in the day?
Do you still break out your N64 and play it with friends every now and then?
Which console did you have? The regular one, or a colored one?
>>
Was anybody else alive and playing video games when this came out? Kids today probably won't understand because it looks like shit today, but Super Mario 64 blew my fucking mind at the time. I had never seen anything like it. The feeling I got when I saw a fully rendered 3D environment for the first time is indescribable.
>>
>>3811907
> What are your top 5 Nintendo 64 games?
Literally every first party and Rareware title is a contender for this list.

> Which games do you remember playing with friends back in the day?
Really only played with my older brother, but I do remember McDonald's having one of those kiosks back in the day. Had a weird selection of games including Majora's Mask, I remember playing some Mario's Tennis with some random kids.

> Do you still break out your N64 and play it with friends every now and then?
Me and my wife play it a lot. Drunk Pokemon Snap is a blast.
>>
>>3811907
>What are your top 5 Nintendo 64 games?
1P: Pod Racer, Banjo, Rogue Squadron, Pokemon Puzzle League, Ocarina
>Which games do you remember playing with friends back in the day?
GoldenEye, Smash, Mario Kart, all the hits
>Do you still break out your N64 and play it with friends every now and then?
Almost weekly. We play N64 games more than any other multiplayer.
>Which console did you have? The regular one, or a colored one?
Regular. I don't even know if colored 64s were a thing when I got mine.
>>
>>3811907
Sure the N64 didn't have a massive library of games, but sure did have it where it counts. It's probably due to the cartridges, but that also meant less shovelware. The n64 has the superior title for almost every popular genre of the time. Platformer? Mario. FPS? Goldeneye. Kart Racer, Mario Kart, Action? OOT. Fighting? muthafuckin smash bros. Who cares about those weeb genres like JRPGs or sim racers. The N64 was still solid because of how influential the games it had were. Each of those games I listed above set down the formula for most 3d games we play today. Ps1 was an awesome system, but I don't like hearing the extra flak the N64 gets.
>>
Ill be lurking this thread for a while. N64 is comfy as fuck and it's raining outside. Just finished playing Smash 64 with some friends last night, we bust that shit out every couple of days and hype up the competition. Loads of fun
>>
>top 5
These are in no particular order.
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Pokemon Stadium
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Smash Bros.
Generic, I know, but there's a reason these games are so highly praised.

>which games did you play with friends
Mario Kart and Smash for multiplayer. I played Ocarina Of Time with my best friend back in the day. The first time I ever beat it was with him.

>do you still play with friends
Yes, but now we're older and we're usually stoned

>which console did you have
Black as a kid, but I recently picked up the blue and yellow Pikachu console.

>>3811918
This was a defining moment in video game history. I doubt anything this significant will ever happen again.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (17KB, 350x277px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
17KB, 350x277px
>>3811907
>top 5
Lode Runner, Robotron, Star Soldier... I guess that's it.
>>
>>3811956
I agree with all of these except shooters. I'll take Quake II on a Playstation over Goldeneye any day.
>>
>>3811907
What >>3811936 said. It's honestly a really tough call for me. Both Banjo games are probably up there, though.

I honestly can't remember ever playing too many games with my friends as a kid. I mostly just talked to them at school. I still had Mario Party for some reason, though.

I still have a CRT and it's still hooked up, to this day.

The regular one, with a gray controller and a purple one. I'd kill for a red or blue one, though, but at the same time I like all my consoles to kinda match.

And now, a question for the thread: What N64 game do you think needs a sequel? What about an enhanced port?
>>
>>3811998
>Lode Runner

First time I see someone else mention that game here, besides me. Good game, very underappreciated. Wouldn't have it on my top 5 on the console but it's worth playing.
Have you tried the N64 Bomberman games? They're honestly pretty fun, both multiplayer and single player.
Also you should try Bangai-O and Sin and Punishment if you like shooting games.
>>
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
sin and Punishment
Mario kart 64
F Zero X

special mention:
pokemon snap

I remember swithcing off on mario 64 with friends, we'd each play a level and swithc off after completion/dying. I think the hair salon I went to as a kid had an n64 for kids to play it on too, Id just fuck around the level until I got called up to get a haircut

I play mario kart 64 every new years eve with my friends, beerio kart especially. I bring out my console all the time too, its unironically my favorite console. I keep buying games for it, and I hope to have at least 80% of the library soon
>>
>>3812021
I was once addicted to the PC Lode Runner. it was a solid game, and it had a level editor. I never played it on console though.
>>
File: loderunner3d.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
loderunner3d.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>3812046
The one on N64 I think never came out on PC, you probably played the old classic 2D version? it was on NES, and it's a pretty good version made by Hudson (they even made Bomberman transform into lode runner guy at the end of the game, suggesting Bomberman is a prequel to Lode Runner)
The N64 one was THREE DEE Lode Runner.
>>
>>3811907
1. Starfox 64
2. F-Zero X
3. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Wave Race 64/1080° Snowboarding
>>
i play my 64 every day
just got kirby its dope
>>
>>3811907
man, i loved it back in the day.
top 5 n64 - Five is difficult but
1, Perfect Dark
2, F - Zero X
3, Ocarina of time
4, Banjo Kazooie
5, Goldeneye

i remember well playing Mario Party, Goldeneye and perfect dark. I also remember a few of us playing thru Ocarina for the first time, so epic. i remember playing FZX at the time too , that game blew my mind. The controls are so deep, its insane.

I play it almost daily. Ive gone off new games, too many violent FPSs and too much feminist bullcrap. I also CBA with online play, i dont want to play some 11 year old weird autistic Nazi kid from Holland or something.
I had the black one but recently bought the Pikachu edition online - console, 2 pads, all the trimmings AND 2 memory paks and 1 rumble pak for £ 20, i say, i did a fine job there

>Also just while we're here

HOW comfy was Christmas 2000 for Nintendo ? We always think, oh 2000 / 2001 Ps2 had come out, it was all over for Nintendo.

but Xmas 2000 you had...
>Zelda Majora
>Perfect Dark
>Mario Tennis
>Banjo Tooie
>Pokemon Gold and Silver

and Conker's Bad Fur Day about to come out in'01 -- those games all got me right thru '01,and up to the Gamecube's release.

>Comfy af tbqh
>>
>>3811907

GoldenEye, Mario Kart and ISS.
>>
mfw no Extreme G
>>
>>3812860
Without even googling it i can remember the cheat for the cool bikes : 81GGD5
>>
File: tfw_baby.jpg (30KB, 855x433px) Image search: [Google]
tfw_baby.jpg
30KB, 855x433px
My first (and favorite) console.
>>
Nostalgia...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mziWJeDYQkc
>>
>>3812879
Also inb4 "Extreme G was a Wipeout knockoff"
It was actually better than Wipeout 64 !
>>
I feel that the reason consoles are going to go the way of the dodo is
>optical media
I haven't used optical media in years
>>
>>3812901
Yes, you can download but you don't need a dedicated console for that. Any old computer can be a gaming system now. The prophecy of digital convergence will be realized in our lifetimes.
>>
My current top 5, in no particular order:
>Blast Corps
>Majora's Mask
>Doom 64
>Super Smash Bros
>Forsaken 64

Also, shoutout for Aerofighters: Assault.
>>
>>3812002
your taste is objectively awful
>>
>>3811907
the clunky early games are extremely underrated.
>Pilotwings
>Aero Fighters Assault
The rest in this category are merely a blur to me now. They went the way of Blockbuster Video.

Then there is Rocket: Robot on Wheels which was a later B title with a lot of charm and creative physics puzzle gameplay.

I also don't see the rayman game here. It has spectacular art direction and level design, especially the latter half of the game.
>>
>>3811907
Hard to really say but as a kid I'd definitely rank it this way:

1. Pokemon Stadium 2
2. Pokemon Stadium 1
3. SM64
4. SSB
5. Star Wars Episode I Pod Racer

Definitely SSB, Stadium games and Goldeneye mostly.

I would but I believe one of the cords for my console is busted so I can't really play it unfortunately. I also am broke with no job so I can't even buy a cord.

>Which console did you have?
A regular one. I'd love to have a colored one even now.

If I were to rank the games now though I'd have Stadium games lower for sure. For an "official" top 3 I'd say it should look like this:

1. SM64
2. OOT
3. SSB

Yeah most would probably put OOT above SM64 but I think SM64 was always the better game of the two. SM64 speedruns are also imo the most entertaining to watch as far as speedruns go. No 3D platformer that I've seen can really match it as far as movement goes.
>>
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Turok 2
Namco Museum
Kirby 64
Banjo Kazooie
Usually Turok and Episode 1 Racer splitscreen.
Unfortunately no, had a few too many drunk nights in college and it got quite beat up and spilled on.
Purple master race.
>>
Top 5:
Pilotwings 64
Blast Corps
Super Mario 64
Snowboard Kids
Wave Racer

This five might change, but that seems about right.

I just got an ED64 and it is pretty fucking cool. I've been playing a bunch of old games over. Just yesterday I finished getting all the medals on every level in expert mode in Star Fox 64. That shit was tough, but it's crazy how well integrated the story is into that game. Drama and tension and good character development. Unfortunately it's so easy and the medals are so hard and tedious that I feel like most people probably either only play it a few times and miss a ton of stuff, or they play it over and over and get sick of Corneria.

N64 probably deserved the flack it got for having a sub-par library overall, but the dozen or so good games are truly great. And moreover, many N64 games never got counterparts or sequels on later systems. Short of Pilotwings Resort, there isn't another game like PW64, making it more special. Same for Blast Corps and Snowboard Kids. There was only a really short window of level-based, story-wise 3D titles.

I like older games, not just because of the 2D, but because they are so pickup and play. Like, I can't imagine Nintendo releasing a game like Star Fox 64 nowadays where you have to rebeat everything over and over to get the medals. Or Wave Race where you play different difficulties to u lock more difficulties to unlock more tracks. That's what I like about the 64.
>>
File: cosmos.gif (4MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
cosmos.gif
4MB, 300x225px
>>3811918
>Super Mario 64 blew my fucking mind at the time. I had never seen anything like it. The feeling I got when I saw a fully rendered 3D environment for the first time is indescribable.
I think almost anyone who experienced it back then had that precise impression. I know I did. It was an amazing time to be alive.
>>
>>3813094
What if we bought you a cord anon?
>>
>>3811907
In no particular order:
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
Goemon's Great Adventure
F-Zero X
Diddy Kong Racing
Star Fox
No friends back then, but I played Mario Party 2 and Smash Bros religiously with my cousins.
The damn thing is still plugged in and I play it almost daily. I've only played WWF No Mercy with some pals a couple months back and it was fun.
Regular one, and I can't believe it's still kickin'
>>
1 Ocarina of time

Blew my mind. I never ever felt something as atmospheric as entering the deku tree, when the camera went up.
It was all up to me saving everyone.
It was new to me to read text, having a story and characters. I sucked everything up.
The games i knew had no text and just jumping around and then this.

2 Smash Brothers

Unforgetable multiplayeraction with friends. Just the memories.

3 Diddy Kong Racing

I found myself liking it more than MK 64. That was the first time i acknowledged a game not directly made by Nintendo.
It was hard not like MK 64 peasycake. It was way longer and i didnt beat it as a kid.
Also me and my friends loved the battlemode over the one in MK 64.

4 Worms Armageddon

Dont ask me. It isnt a special title for the N64 but it was hella fun. The Story mode was also hard i never could beat it. Good times with my brother.
Aiming and calculating the wind was a cool mechanic.

5 Wrestlemania 2000

I liked wrestling as kid a lot, i hate it today.
I also checked the playstation games. They were a mess and any move was the same.
But on N64 you could take your own move/punch/hard punch/grabs/anything. They really put love into that.
The possibilities were endless.
The best part was to create own Wrestlers. Sadly no mercy had issues with saving the game. So ill choose this.

Honorable mention would be Extreme G or Bomberman Hero.
They had special soundtracks and were nice to play. Go take a listen. Its so hard to leave games like Banjo, DK64, Pokemon or Mario 64 out. They were all great.

I had the black N64 and i am using a Wii U to play those games now.
>>
File: IMG_0082.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0082.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Post 'em!
>>
>>3814681
Your Majora's Mask copy has a different label than mine. Also my nigga, I've never seen someone with a copy of Mischief Makers.
>>
>>3812878
U too young.

I remember when super nintendo was the shit.

Id give anything to redo those simpler times
>>
>>3814681
Is your name Brandon?

That collection and carpet looks awfully familiar.
>>
Top 5:

Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Star Fox 64

Honorable Mentions:

Banjo Kazooie
Toy Story 2

Damn I miss playing that thing.
>>
>>3814385
No that would make me awful how I could be such a pathetic piece of NEET shit. Also I wouldn't trust someone on chan to send me anything.

I'll get around to buying it when I get employed.
>>3814674
You reminded me of No Mercy. Damn that game for me has to be high up there to. If not top 5 then probably number 6.
>>
>>3811956
Ocarina of time isn't a strong action game in any regard.
>>
>>3811907
There were enough solid games that I couldn't pick just 5.
For a console with 4 built in controller ports it had a surprisingly small number of good multi player games. A shitty mini-game is not a game. But taking turns on collectathons was fun and smash and mario cart were good.
I still use mine pretty regularly. A lot of that is development but I do play with friends every so often.
I have several versions of the N64 but they're all the original black.
>>
Why did they put Tony Hawk on N64 in 2002?
>>
File: 1449028025273.jpg (32KB, 620x455px) Image search: [Google]
1449028025273.jpg
32KB, 620x455px
>>3814681
>Ken Griffey Jr.

Really fun game and I never see anybody talk about it. Many hours were wasted on home run derbies back in the day
>>
File: n64c.jpg (150KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
n64c.jpg
150KB, 800x470px
>>3814681
>>
>>3811907
Kek
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.