[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RE1 has its own charm that RE:Make lacks. The thing about REmake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1487589561753[1].jpg (410KB, 1600x1154px) Image search: [Google]
1487589561753[1].jpg
410KB, 1600x1154px
RE1 has its own charm that RE:Make lacks. The thing about REmake though is it looks unnaturally colored. Silent Hill for example does not look like this. For a good example of what I mean by unnaturally colored just remember all those brown and grey bloom shooters that were in for awhile. Eventually people got tired of how unnatural it looked and developers rightfully changed it. RE1 isn't cartoony colorful at all. It is colored to make each room in the mansion stand out from the others. Which was a smart thing to do. Just contrast this with the underground hunter area in the game where almost everything down there is the same color. Basically REmake has poor sense of color and lighting while Silent Hill and RE1 do not.

Yes, the graphics are worse, there's less polish and refinement, and the remake expands quite a bit on the original. However, there's something in pure fun factor that the PSX game has over the first. The surrealism of the mansion design, coupled with a more "videogamey" feel really makes the game a goddamn blast to replay. It's faster to go through, and the unrefined nature of the controls and AI make challenge runs and silly restrictions fun in a way that a more modern design philosophy prevents.

I myself prefer the faster pace and more streamlined approach of the original. RE1 is a game I can play easily and jump into with little problem. REmake feels a little slower and more methodical, which makes it harder to jump back in to. I think it's the new areas, more "cinematic" bosses, and the crimson heads that make going through the game a little bit slower.

RE:Make is a damn fine game. No one here will dispute that. But I really do think there is grounds for saying that you can prefer RE1.
>>
File: RE0.jpg (399KB, 2130x720px) Image search: [Google]
RE0.jpg
399KB, 2130x720px
>>3811765

Noticed this in RE0 too.

More powerful console somehow results in LESS color. Hope you like brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDZBRhjy_ME
>>
>>3811765
the reason REmake feels slower is because of the zombie burning
>>
>>3811804
oh, and the doorknob that's about to break
>>
REmake is a work of art. The pre-rendered backgrounds blend in with the actual polygon models so fucking well, you forget it's a pre-rendered background game.
It's still fine to prefer the original for whatever reason (look at the OOT fags arguing over N64 vs 3DS), I wouldn't say I'd prefer the original over REmake (it's be different if you asked me about RE2 though), but RE1 is still fine.
>>
>>3811765
Oh fuck off already.
>>
Brown makes sense because it was a mansion falling into disrepair. No one was around to dust and sunlight was fading things. Plus the whole thing was a front anyway, there was no need to make it look pretty.
>>
>>3811790
That's because the game on the left has potato resolution so it has lots of color to make things stand out instead of being a blurry mess while RE0 and REmake allow for higher resolution backgrounds.
>>
>>3811834

It's only 320x240 vs. 640x480. I don't buy it. It's not some massive huge resolution difference.
>>
>>3811838
That IS a big resolution difference. Go try playing Doom in its original resolution then try Crispy Doom and tell me it isn't a huge upgrade.
>>
>>3811840

I could make out all the details in RE1-3. Maybe not something like very fine print, but I could see everything just fine.
>>
>>3811838
As someone who had to watch youtube videos for years in 240p because that's all my PC could handle I can tell you the few times I got to watch in 480 felt like the jump from SNES to 1080p.
>>
>>3811851

>t. millenial

320x240 on an LCD is much different than on an SD CRT TV. Little fuzzy because of the cables, but you can see most everything in the backgrounds.
>>
>>3811854
low resolutions are still low on CRT televisions and monitors
you simply cannot fit as much detail as you could with a higher resolution and if you try to argue otherwise you are retarded
compare the PC version and console versions of starcraft and diablo and it's night and day
>>
>>3811854
>t. millenial

Cute meme, but no. I played my PS2 on a CRT last night and it's fuzzy as fuck. 240p would be way more unclear.
>>
>>3811931
PS2 has fuzzy, shitty video output period. Compare an actual PS1 at 240p to a PS2 running a PS1 game at 240p. You'll be shocked at how terrible it is.
>>
I miss blue.

remember blue.
>>
>>3811790

Left looks like babby's first try at path tracing.
>>
>>3811804
No it actually is slower in general. The movement and shooting. Thankfully the game has the quick turn because it really needs it. Probably the best gameplay mechanic introduced to the series.
>>3811790
They had to have put some sort of weird filter over those games. It doesn't even make the game scarier at all. It just makes a game with pretty good graphics look worst than what it could have looked due to all the dull coloring.
>>
>>3811765
honestly?

I felt REmake felt slower because of how sluggish movement was

in the OG 3 you ran fucking fast and basically powerwalked

to add tension and a sense of caution, they probably slowed a good majority of movement in REmake.

I do believe that RE1 is every bit as legit a game as REmake and that nobody should skip RE1 simply because it's a fine game by itself. in fact, I'd even recommend people play RE1 first just so you go into REmake thinking "oh this is gonna be the same shit but prettier" but you and up not knowing what the fuck you're doing 20 minutes in

my first RE1 run was about 3-4 hours because of how fast you run all the time

my first REmake run was 11 hours because of a mixture of extreme backtracking and the sluggish nature of the game
>>
did anyone else feel the lisa trevor subplot added nothing to the game?
she wasn't even menacing
>>
>>3812009
>No it actually is slower in general. The movement and shooting. Thankfully the game has the quick turn because it really needs it. Probably the best gameplay mechanic introduced to the series.

Didnt BIOHARARD 1 had the Quick turn alongside the Aim assist but was removed from the US versions of RE1 and 2, which is what lead people to wrongfully credit PE2 for using aiming and quick turning?
>>
>>3812053
>my first REmake run was 11 hours because of a mixture of extreme backtracking and the sluggish nature of the game

Dude my 1st run on REmake was nearly 20 Hours, i am not joking, my best run was 3:45 on Hard.
>>
>>3812178

Same. It went nowhere. And it wasn't even a good boss fight. And then you defeat her by... opening an coffin and she just fucks off. Given how damn near invincible she is, a fall like that would only partially incapacitate her. And the explosion from the mansion might not kill her.

Umbrella Chronicles made sure to kill her off for good.
>>
File: 1478399198011.jpg (108KB, 1200x739px) Image search: [Google]
1478399198011.jpg
108KB, 1200x739px
>>3812053

>my first RE1 run was about 3-4 hours

Bullshit. Why are you lying on /vr/ of all places?
>>
>>3812228
I'm not gonna lie to you anon, my first actual run of RE1 wasn't that long ago

I had the vague remnants of that one RE1 LP done by the loud yelling guy who later joined rooster teeth as the only help because I just powered through the DS version when the power was out one day

I always got a little bit bored after a while when I had the OG games on PS1 and I somehow never got all the crests in RE1, never made it past the waste plant in RE2, and I actually did beat RE3 but it was with gameshark cheats
>>
The 6th gen gets a lot of shit (and rightfully so) for the brown n' gray filter that so many 'gritty' games suffered from. However, that was because many of these games resorted to a brown battlefield filter which did not utilize darker pallets in a creative or proper way.

This is not the case with REmake. Resident Evil uses contrast and varying shades of green, brown and even red and blue in order to create an earthy and atmospheric setting. For example both Chris and Jill's uniform contrast very well against the scenery of the game, whose colors are red and greenish-blue accordingly. The game also utilizes lighting to differentiate from damp earthy settings to warmer residential ones brilliantly.

REmake is a dark colored game but brilliantly so and is to me probably the most 'Resident Evil' looking to ever be made.
>>
>>3812301

To add to this I think the original RE and the whole trilogy did a very good job using their color pallets to make the game environments stick out and work within the limitations of the system. Remake is probably one of the only remakes in which I think the revision added more to the original visual style than the original itself.

Just look at the Crash remake for example, which despite using more impressive technology is making the whole game look much more sterile compared to the original for some reason. So far I prefer the original Crash visuals to the remake.
>>
>>3812345

Crash is made by not the original company. It's just some no-names. They're using generic assets, and it wouldn't shock me if it's Unity or Unreal Engine 4. It just looks generic.
>>
>>3811765
What? To me it's RE1 that looks unnaturally colored, almost cartoony
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.