[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently I've found out that there is a fanstranslation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: FFIIIVVI.png (549KB, 1178x377px) Image search: [Google]
FFIIIVVI.png
549KB, 1178x377px
Recently I've found out that there is a fanstranslation of the JP verions of FFVI. How good is the translation? Is it better than the Woolsey one? Is it there anything of worth in it besides the noncensored sprites?

I never really beat the NTSC VI and was looking to try it out. And can't decide which one to play.

I don't really care for memes that might've come out of either, just want to know which one gives the best experience.
>>
>>3811372
fan translations are always shit.
>>
whats wrong wit hthe original translation? its charming and well written
>>
>>3811375
From what I know he took some liberties with the script, straying away from the original at some points.

>>3811373
Yeah, but who knows. This one might be good.
>>
>>3811372
>Orthy-chan REEALLY wants you to draw his portrait for him!

I'd advise against playing the Sky Render translation (god bless his soul)
>>
>>3811384
After a quick search it looks like that it is the one I found. It's name RPGOne, but in that Sky Render dude page he says that he joined with them.
And I didn't find any other
>>
>>3811379
Most of the liberties are to do with religious references and Kefka acting like a kooky clown. When you really get into learning a bit of Japanese you soon realise that anything that transliterates it too literally is going to end up with a script that reads awkward and flat
>>
>>3811405
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

Try this one.
>>
>>3811407
When you get into learning Japanese you'll soon realize that you should play games in Japanese.
>>
>>3811412
Just have to go with that one then. That was the next thing I was going to look for. Thank you for wasting your time for me. I love you senpai.
>>
>>3811373

Not necessarily.

When considering localizers always change shit often fan translations are the only way to get a word-for-word exact translation of the original game.

The same thing for anime too.
>>
>>3811437
Languages don't work that way. Words can have different meanings.
>>
>>3811437
While it's true that on rare occasion fantranslations can turn in better results than official localizations (see: FF7)
>word-for-word exact translation
Is really, really not how it works especially with Japanese.
>>
>>3811440
Languages don't always have the same structure. And words used to convey the meaning of the same things in two languages can be used in other instances to address other stuff that is different to both languages.

Even more when they are so unrelated as Japanese and English.

What I don't like is when a translation goes so far as to change the topic and meaning of entire conversations.
>>
>>3811432
Duly noticed.
>>
No fan or official translation of FF6 has ever topped Woolsey's original.
>>
Woolsey really has a poor grasp of English. Alexander Smith (who has been working closely with Square Enix since the merger) has his own set of problems that I won't get into here and now. Fan translators are usually on par with Woolsey, and that's definitely not a compliment. Worse are those who aim to produce translations that are as "literal" as possible, often to the effect of making the script appear to have been written by an autistic person.

The only competent fan translator whose work I've personally seen is Eien ni Hen, and I'm not really sure how active she is.
>>
>>3811384
I dunno, it has it's merits. I prefer it over the Woolsey translation. Though it is obviously quite awkwardly worded it's not blatently rewritten.

I mean, the Woolsey rewrites cause people to really misunderstand the characters. Kefka is not a clown, he's a crossdressing poofter.
>>
>>3811563
>I've personally seen is Eien ni Hen, and I'm not really sure how active she is.
Based Eien ni Hen. She seems to be given credit on a lot of different projects. I've recently seen her credited for a Wizardry game and I know she's working on a new translation of Romancing Saga 3 which has badly needed one for years now.

I get the impression that she just doesn't want to be the figurehead for projects.
>>
>>3811372
The fan translation is badass fucking awesome!
They call terra a bitch instead of a witch. And Kefka says, "Son of a Bitch" instead of "Son of a submariner".
And Locke says, "Don't call me a fucking treasure hunter, fucker."
And Setzer says, "Life is a deck of mother fucking cards and I'm the god damn ace."
And Oltros says, "You look fucking delicious, bitches. I'm going to use my tentacles to eat and rape you... not necessarily in that order... fucking whore bitch ass hoes."

I really like how the fan translations make things closer to the JP original.
>>
>>3811437
>fan translations are the only way to get a word-for-word exact translation
Which is not how you should be translating anything. Sentences need to be rewritten to keep the meaning of the original text but with the grammar of the target language. The best translations are the ones you don't notice.
>>
File: likeatiger.png (62KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
likeatiger.png
62KB, 256x224px
>>3813974
Man, isn't it great we have professional level translations for these games?
>>
i've been meaning to give this one a look https://sites.google.com/site/ff6relocalized/
i enjoyed following that lina darkstar thread back when it was still being updated
>>
>>3814147
I like how Idiots like you, with zero Japanese skill like to talk crap.

I played the PSP version of this scene (I can read Japanese) and then watched the DeJap translation on youtube.

- Arche's initial comment to the boat captain is pretty well represented; it's made a little more explicit in the DJ version but it's abundantly clear what she's offering in the original Japanese as well, even though a literal translation would just be "I'll do something for you."

- The conversation between Klarth/Claus and Cless does not mention sex at all or even allude to sex, it's just talking about which one they like better. Klarth doesn't mention Arche fuck like a tiger". He does mention her being fiery or energetic; it would be possible to interpret that sexually but it's not necessarily the case.

- The original Japanese of Arche's dream does indicate that she's having some kind of sexual dream about Cless, but the language is not as blatant and vulgar as in the translation. (She does start out with "Cless, don't touch me there!")

IMO the change that represents the biggest modification to the intent of the original text is the "I bet Arche fucks like a tiger" and the subsequent explicit sexual talk.

I looked at the GBA script too -- the GBA translation does go in the opposite direction of bowdlerizing the text -- the captain's response to Arche in the first part makes it seem like he's not understanding her as offering sexual favors. The Klarth/Cless dialogue is translated fine.

Arche's dream is basically the same as the Japanese but less explicit.

So neither the GBA nor the DeJap translations are entirely accurate; the actual Japanese is somewhere between the two.
>>
>>3811372
>Recently I've found out that there is a fanstranslation of the JP verions of FFVI. How good is the translation?

Boring as hell. Even if it is 'accurate'. Who gives a shit? Just play the one that is more entertaining.
>>
>>3811412
Yep. Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition (that's such a mouthful) is my choice for best version as well.
>>
>>3815007
Final Fantasy VI is a Japanese role-playing game.
>>
OP is the son of a submariner.
>>
>>3813974

But does it have ''He'd cut his momma's throat for a nickel''?
>>
>>3815480
Kinda, but in Japanese it says:
"That is [Shadow], he would slice off his momma's fucking head for a gil. Then he'd fuck her god damn mother fucking throat hole with his fucking ninja cock. Ramming it into her bloody whole over and over until he tosses her mangled corpse to his fucking dog like the bitch whore slut ass nigger hoe she is."

You see, in Japan they don't censor stuff like we do here in the USA. We're total prudes about stuff but in Japan it's a land of censorfree bliss.

Source: I've played over 4 games in their native Japanese (using a J->E dictionary) and I've watched a ton of dubbed anime. Don't fuck with me, I'm a Japanese expert. Kwai! ^_^
>>
>>3814282
Shut the fuck up.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.