[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any sites better than HCG101 for cataloging and reviewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: 324234234.png (34KB, 1067x365px) Image search: [Google]
324234234.png
34KB, 1067x365px
Are there any sites better than HCG101 for cataloging and reviewing retro/Japanese PC88+98 games?
>>
Refuge Tokyo for PC98.
https://refuge.tokyo/pc9801/pc9801.html
>>
>>3808219
nice & thanks
>>
>2017
>Going to HG101
I seriously hope you don't do this.
>>
>>3808317
Didn't even mention the Sega port was programmed by Yuji Naka. What a shit writer.
>>
File: 1478790840208.png (171KB, 1093x322px) Image search: [Google]
1478790840208.png
171KB, 1093x322px
>>3808337
For a site proclaiming themselves to be Hardcore, they're surprisingly light on actual facts besides the obvious shit and they don't even get half of that right either. A lot of time they betray themselves as emulation kiddies.
>>
>>3808435
They're probably one of those sites that think that "hardcore" is a difficulty setting and not a design style.
>>
File: Quality_HG101_writing.png (7KB, 623x191px) Image search: [Google]
Quality_HG101_writing.png
7KB, 623x191px
>>3808445
Funny, 'cause most of the arcade game articles written by Kurt Kalata consists of him whining about how difficulty they were.
>>
HCG101? Is this that SJW site that reviews indie pixel crap?
>>
>>3808453
>you can pay to revive
>credit-feeding in an arcade game ever
I'm not sure if you're baiting or you're just ignorant.
>>
File: tumblr_ollskpQ06m1rl9w9no3_1280.png (233KB, 1074x959px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ollskpQ06m1rl9w9no3_1280.png
233KB, 1074x959px
Kalata and Derboo are hacks.
Joey Jojo where you at, you need to feed us with some more drama.
>>
>>3809365
I like how Kalata's review of The Schemer is just him regurgitating what is mentioned on Project EGG's description of game while pretending to act if he was there for the game's launch without adding anything of note himself.

Also, most of the images he uses for game covers and flyers are ripped off from other sources.

For fuck's sake, the guy didn't even know what DECO stood for until a few years ago.
>>
Various Japanese blogs. If you can't read those, well, you can't read PC98 games either, so you don't have much reason to care.
>>
>>3809594
>I like how Kalata's review of The Schemer is just him regurgitating what is mentioned on Project EGG's description of game while pretending to act if he was there for the game's launch without adding anything of note himself.
And even then, he still gets a few facts wrong. Bothtec never became Quest, Quest was simply founded by former Bothtec employees. Bothtec was still active until 2009.
>>
File: DoorDoor.png (3KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
DoorDoor.png
3KB, 640x400px
>>3809594
>>3809610
Their article on Japanese computers has screenshots of V1 games running in V2 mode.
>>
>>3809610
They were merged for a few years before Bothtec split again, but Quest definitely existed as a separate entity before the merger.
>>
>reading their revievs
>not just look on screenshots
>>
>>3809365
I'm all out of gossip since I cut ties with the podcast people / vice versa. All I have left is to deface the hg101 books I own and sell them. And like, hope and pray their virtue signalling backfires down the line like it seems to do on all the numale comic guys.

Problem is that most people don't know and don't care that it's all inaccurate; they just want a "retro" coffee table book. And kurt will keep crapping them out - I was going to try to finish a few articles for the Namco book(s) out of principle (since I take forever, but if I say I'll do something I'll do it), but based on what I've heard (and that one anon said in previous hg101 threads) kurt (or worse yet, rasa) would just edit the hell out of it. Fuck that.

Speaking of neorasa I hope someone kicks the shit out of him someday.
>>
>>3810075
What exactly happened between you and Neorasa anyway?
>>
>>3808453
>and you can pay to revive
pls stop
>>
>>3810634
Don't feed him the (you)s
>>
>>3810592
Sometimes you meet someone that you can't help but hate I guess. Like, I think kurt is full of shit and a hypocrite, but even now I still think he's an ok guy at some level if you manage to separate him from the socjus shit. Not neorasa. He's just a fucking asshole. He made it his mission to try and be an asshole to me at every possible opportunity, even before all of the "political" bullshit the past few years. I don't know what it is really, but we never, ever got along. I guess it's partly because he's one of those types that will never admit when they're wrong, and will just amp it up when you call them out on it. What's not surprising is that he's apparently total pussy IRL and wouldn't have the balls to say the kind of shit he says online.
>>
>>3812280
I never had much interaction with NeoRasa back when I was still posting at HG101 regularly, so I don't really have any strong opinion about him, which is weird since I used to piss a lot of people there.
>>
>>3808317
Site turned into shit not too long ago sadly, the difference in quality between the newest articles and previous ones is too fucking noticeable. .
>>
>>3808435
>highlighted text
what the fuck
why involving girl as a main hero must be a political message
i'm tired of this
>>
File: 05163.jpg (82KB, 385x239px) Image search: [Google]
05163.jpg
82KB, 385x239px
>>3808219
>rpg
We must be missing a lot of stuff.
>>
>>3813135
They actually revisit and edit the old articles to include complains about misogny I shit you not
>>
>>3813225
What do you mean miss?
Those games are in the Archive's sets.
>>
>>3813123
Granted, it was mostly on the irc channel - thankfully there were long spans where he wasn't on the forums because he had a couple of meltdowns (then again I'm one to talk).

But yeah, the more I look back at it the more I realize how full of shit I am for hanging out with those trifling fuckheads. I bitch about echo chamber shit and yet I was often part of it on that forum. Ah well. Hindsight's 20-20.
>>
File: kurt kalata in 1 screencap.png (622KB, 1174x928px) Image search: [Google]
kurt kalata in 1 screencap.png
622KB, 1174x928px
>HG101
>>
File: atomic robo kid.jpg (52KB, 791x387px) Image search: [Google]
atomic robo kid.jpg
52KB, 791x387px
>not just trying every rom, instead of looking for someone's opinion.
>>
There are a fuckton of good games on the PC-98, but most of them require Japanese knowledge to enjoy. A lot of really cool and unique RPGs and things like that. To name a few that I've been messing around with:

> Tekkou Kikan Atragon
An RPG where instead of a party of people you control a battleship and boat around the world in a super anime storyline as the Masked Captain.

> Different Realm -Kuon no Kenja-
You play a couple of scientists who were transported to a different dimension after a freak accident and now have to figure out how to get home from a world filled with 4 sentient species including humans. Features a neat freeform tactical turn-based battle system.

> Libros de Chilam Balam
Pretty solid RPG set in the Wild West where you buy guns and ammo, but also gain access to increasingly powerful magic through the story.

> Freewill -Knight of Argent-
Some great designs for monsters and everything, but also you can basically recruit anyone to be in your party, or choose to kill them if you so desire (including quest NPCs). Lots of freedom.
>>
>>3813234
Which articles did they update besides the Valis? I'm guessing any game with a damsel in distress theme (like Rolling Thunder and Phelios) would probably fall under this scope. It's kinda funny, because I remember how Kurt's review of Martial Champions basically had him admitting that he only knew Rachel and Titi (the two female fighters in the game) from H-dojinshi (I wonder if it's that part is still up). I'm guessing he's trying to make amends for being such a pervert in the past.

I know they did a Double Dragon retrospective recently, but I haven't bothered reading it since I have no doubt they're going to say something stupid or inaccurate in it. I bet they probably bitch about the opening scene with Marian being punched and carried off caveman-style by the Black Warriors.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.