[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>speedrunners find a collectible in a game 17 years later

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: dk64.jpg (30KB, 382x260px) Image search: [Google]
dk64.jpg
30KB, 382x260px
>speedrunners find a collectible in a game 17 years later in some area literally no one bothered to slam
>it fucks up every 100% speedrun
Discuss.
Has anything else like this ever happened?
>>
>>3807720
Usually when discoveries like this happen after a long period of time, speedrunners just create a new speedrun category.
>>
>>3807720
What are you talking about?
>>
how the fuck do you speedrun dk64
>>
>>3807773

Very quickly, I'd imagine
>>
>>3807769
Not OP, but a runner of DK64 found a 977th coin just recently.
>>
I found that coin when I was 12 years old
>>
>>3807779
Kek
>>
>>3807790
Coin or banana?

I can't remember what coins do, it's been so long. I know bananas weren't counted in the percentage score, but this discovery doesn't change the game's percentage counter so surely there's no problem doing a "101%" run?
>>
>>3807720

Super Mario Bros., flag pole glitch was just discovered a few months ago (or at least a consistent way to do it non-TAS) and allowed for a new world record to be set.
>>
>>3807947
That doesn't invalidate past runs, it just results in quicker ones.
>>
Speedrunning is cancer.
>>
>>3808342
>I'm not capable of doing something so it's cancer
>>
>>3808351
It's still cancer no matter how you slice it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5DxvnPV4w

this is what OP's talking about
>>
>>3807720
That's the magic of n64 games. So weirdly coded it's so beautiful but also human. I love them.
>>
>>3808409
That's not new. Nice clickbait. "Oh hurf durf I found a thuper thekwit", not every faggot runs screaming to the internet when they discover something hidden in a game.
>>
>>3808428
>That's not new.

got a shred of evidence? or are you just talking out of your ass
>>
>>3808416
>weirdly coded
But this has nothing to do with the coding.
>>
>>3808351
>projecting
>>
>>3808469
It's not even hidden any better than half the shit in older games. It's next to a very obvious terrain feature and it visibly shunts you up when you move over it. Not if, when.
>>
It ISN'T new, it just wasn't known to the gaming/speedrunning community at large because it's so obscure.

The coin is in a patch of dirt hidden in grass, and you're supposed to figure out it's there by the fact that you rise a bit when you walk over it. That is a dick move, but it is findable and obviously some people've found it before.

I can't believe that speedrunners, knowing full well that Banana Coins are worth 25 each, never stopped to question the fact that the game seemingly caps at 975 coins. Like, seriously? How inattentive do you have to be to not realize there must be a another one?
>>
>>3808469
Nothing short of anecdotes, I heard of it back in high school.
>>
>>3808505
>never stopped to question the fact that the game seemingly caps at 975 coins

Could be that Nintendo didn't want you going over 999, which is possible given this is the same console that brought us Super Mario 64 which had a 999 coin cap.

I dunno, I've seen stranger totals.
>>
In Banjo-Kazooie there's a jump pad behind Click Clock Wood's world entrance also hidden in the grass. I've never seen anyone else find it, but you can tell it's there by the sudden metalic sound your footsteps make.

This is the same thing.
>>
>>3808514
That is a fair point.
>>
>>3808505
Look, speedrunners are the biggest autists out there in gaming. If they don't know about something, then NOBODY knows about it.
>>
>>3808524
That's not true. Demonstrably so, in fact.

I'm really not going to bother to research, but I guarantee you can find SOME mention of that coin online somewhere. In some old let's play or article or SOMEthing. People have found it before. It's not like it's invisible or intangible, you just need intuition (and luck) to notice it.
>>
>>3807773
Probably most of it takes place on the drawing board. It's like an incredibly complicated travelling salesman problem, especially with the teleports.
>>
Those cheeky fucking brits.
>>
>>3808535
>I'm not gonna back up my argument but I'm totally right guys!
>>
>>3808558
You're asking for the impossible, mate. You can't prove a negative, and nobody recorded their gaming shit back in 2000
>>
This is like that one secret in FF9 that NOBODY knew of EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR oh wait it was mentioned in Ultimania false alarm.
>>
i didn't think coins actually counted towards percentage in dk64?
>>
>>3808573
They don't. This only affects meme categories like "all coins%".
>>
>>3807947
>flag pole glitch

Elaborate. You mean jumping over the pole? I did that stuff too.
>>
File: Flagpoleglitchn.gif (128KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Flagpoleglitchn.gif
128KB, 256x240px
>>3808587
It's that circumvents the flag's animation, saving a few seconds on each level. I don't know the specifics but you basically jump into the block below the flagpole and it skips the animation.
>>
>>3808587

18 minutes into the video, does a better job explaining than I could -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAkY7RfajY
>>
>>3808524

Unless it's a game like DK64 in which only a handful of autists would ever likely try to run it.
>>
>>3807720
Not retro, but I'm still hoping that the pendant from dark souls 1 has some use that nobody has discovered yet.
>>
>>3807720
>Has anything else like this ever happened?
The brothers sidequest in FFIX, some years ago.
>>
>>3808827
Ehhh that doesn't really count. The Japanese knew about it the whole time, to the point that it was even detailed in a strategy guide.
>>
>>3808563
You just need to prove that people DID know about it, BEFORE these speedrunners. You said it was likely mentioned in a Let's Play made earlier. Find and post a link, bro.
>>
>>3808515
Wow. I just tried this and got a useless one-up.
>>
>>3808837
You could've asked what it was for beforehand, buddy. >.>

Sorry I didn't mention. Aslo I think part of the reason people don't find it is because when you later take the Bee transformation out there to get the Jiggy, it would seem like that's how you're meant to get it, so no one questions it.
>>
File: Click Clock Wood.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Click Clock Wood.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>3808860
>You could've asked what it was for beforehand, buddy. >.>
You would have told me, without complaining that I wasting your time? You sound like a real pal, anon! :)
It was no trouble. I just loaded my state on top of the sun switch in Click Clock, dropped down to the floor, and exited. No trouble.

Do you know of any other level that is as awesome as Click Clock Woods?
>>3808794
>>
>>3808870
>You would have told me, without complaining that I wasting your time?

Well... Yeah! Probably quicker to just do it your way, though.

Let's move this convo back to that thread.

>>3808914
>>
>>3808342
>>3808393
What exactly makes speedrunning cancer?
>>
>>3808930
If you make a lifestyles out of speedrunning, it means that your not relaxing the game the way it was meant to be relaxed.
>>
>>3808940
So what you're saying is you either make a lifestyle out of speedrunning or you never speedrun at all? It's totally inconceivable to you that some people do it just as a hobby?
>>
File: 1414802069069.png (474KB, 541x525px) Image search: [Google]
1414802069069.png
474KB, 541x525px
>>3808940
>there's no middleground between autistic speedrunning and casual gaming
>>
>>3808940
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm guessing your point is that speedrunning ruins the game, because you aren't playing it the way you're supposed to. If that's what you meant, I can see why you'd feel that way.

Though, here's something to consider: more often than not, the sorts of people who would do this are doing this with a game they're very familiar with. Something they've played multiple times as intended before trying a speedrun.

Notice how most of these speedrun and exploit videos popping up are of fairly old games? Like that whole deal with pannenkoek and Mario 64? Most of these runners likely played these games as intended when they were younger. Surely they can be forgiven for trying something different now, yes?
>>
>>3809072
>Surely they can be forgiven for trying something different now, yes?
Yeah. That's a fair point.
>>
>>3808940
>they're cancer because they're enjoying videogames THE WRONG WAY
>>
>>3807720
>Has anything else like this ever happened?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391332
>>
>>3807773
cheezing to get to the final boss without collecting anything
>>
>>3808524
Leo, except TAS autists find all speedrunner's tricks
>>
>>3808484

every single thing in a game has to do with coding on some level
>>
>>3810735
Level design is typically drawn on paper before getting coded into the game.
>>
File: 14079010.jpg (29KB, 373x327px) Image search: [Google]
14079010.jpg
29KB, 373x327px
You know, that's what annoys me the most about speedrunners. Their pretense for doing something actually important, treating their hobby like sort of contribution to society.

"977th coin", my ass… It sounds like a joke at this point. That's what it's like when collectathon meets autism. People make 5 fucking HOUR videos of beating this game. Even watching these requires autism.

But at least this case is people playing the game, no matter how tedious it is. This distantly resembles sport. THE absolute worst is when they find new glitches, plain breaking the rules of the game itself, and still treat it like an achievement. It's not even about skill or fun at this point. And then they still pride themselves in that "contribution to humanity" like they just found a cure for cancer.

You wonder, who the fuck would actually be proud of something like this… And then you watch AGDC or something like that, and you see EXACTLY the types who would do it. The kind of guys that make Mike Matey look like an actually cool guy to hang around with. It's not even about autism, it's simply their insufferable attitude.
>>
>>3807720
Link with video or in writing? Does it actually change anything?
>>
>>3810792
It means there's one more known collectible in the game. If I'm not mistaken it only changes anything for 100% runs (by invalidating all current runs), but it's possible some other runs could benefit from it (though IDK, I'm not familiar with DK64 speedrunning).
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.