[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come roguelikes never went the 'openworld' road?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: big-tiles[1].gif (12KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
big-tiles[1].gif
12KB, 640x400px
How come roguelikes never went the 'openworld' road? Given how old Ultima saga is, i was expecting more old fashioned roguelikes outside the Dungeon Crawling experience.
>>
"Open world" games weren't really seen as feasible before GTA III was released. Also, consoles were the main driving force behind gaming back then, so imagine cramming an open world game in a SNES cartridge.

(Although Metal Max tries this, it's not a roguelike).
>>
bump for interest.

>>3805673
Create an OpenWorld is fucking difficult, and the development requires a lot of time and money.
>>
>>3805673
You might enjoy ZZT or MUDs and derivatives (MOOs, MUSHs etc)
>>
File: 2017-02-17_16-39-44.jpg (109KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-17_16-39-44.jpg
109KB, 512x448px
Roguelikes are roguelikes,

Besides that:
She will rob me right?
>>
>>3805673
Play Atrinik, it's an old-style mmorpg based on Crossfire.
>>
File: gioll.png (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gioll.png
13KB, 640x480px
Ragnarok
>>
>>3805695
link
>>
Ragnarok>>3805697
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok_(video_game)
http://www.roguetemple.com/reviews/ragnarok/
>>
>>3805694
it look nice
>>
>>3805673
Just play ADOM. You start off on the road and you go to multiple towns and different dungeons. There is one main dungeon that you will spend most of the game in, but it's definitely a mid-game venture, and before it, there's at least 20 quests and related dungeons, some of which exclude one another.
>>
File: 2017-02-17_17-22-55.jpg (81KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-17_17-22-55.jpg
81KB, 512x448px
>>
>>3805691
>>3805729
Fuck off, not a rogue.
>>
>>3805676
Gta3 was smaller than many of the games considered not being an open world

also, dwarf fortress adventure mode
>>
>>3805734
>Fuck off, not a rogue.
Are you kidding?
>That guy doesn't know Shiren the Wanderer and Mystery Dungeon games
>laughing bitches.jpg
>>
File: screenshot[3].png (19KB, 650x346px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot[3].png
19KB, 650x346px
>>3805676
>games weren't really seen as feasible before GTA III
Not that sure. Almost each jrpg offers you a big map to explore. Dungeons included. Sure, they are not 'open world' enough. Yet, it could have rang a bell.

>>3805689
>the development requires a lot of time and money.
Most roguelikes have been in development for years, if not decades. I don't see this a problem.

>>3805695
Didn't know this, i'll give it a try thanks.

>>3805715
Yes, ADOM is an exception. Yet, the world is predefined. Noone thought about proc generating the world like they do with dungeons?
>>
>>3805673
But anon, 50% of major classic roguelikes are open world or had open world added at some point
>ADOM
>Angband variants (PCB, TOME)

>>3805676
Wut? Consolebabby plz go play some Fallout. Or JA2. Or any TES.
>>
>>3805676
There have been open world games since the '80s retarded dumbfuck
>>
>>3805673
ToME back when it was Tales/Troubles of Middle Earth

Still dunno why they got rid of that.
>>
>>3805806
they wanted to sell it on steam
>>
>>3805814
Middle Earth isn't a copyrighted term though, is it?

It's not like Tolkien invented it, it has mythological origins.
>>
Noone mentioned Ctaclysm: DDA yet? I am surprised. This is the game zomboid stealing off all the ideas. And, as I think, it is the best (true) roguelike in terms of gamedesign, the parts fitting each other. ADOM and Crawl and DF has weird thing sticking out of them sometimes (ADOM pretty much consists of things sticking out), while the DDA is the game that feels... united.
>>
Why is "Shiren the Wanderer" not a roguelike. Please explain.
>>
File: screenshot1.png (5KB, 639x399px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot1.png
5KB, 639x399px
>>3805673
What do you mean by 'roguelike' ? there's been ascii art games with vast territory, and there's been "die and start over" games with vast territory. Elite was a roguelike in that sense. If you absolutely need tile-based & turn-based play, ASCII Sector is an open world.

Maybe instead of asserting "I didn't see it so there must be none," you could ask "I haven't found what I'm looking for, have you seen it?"
>>
>>3805689
Most rogue-likes have randomly generated levels. It's more of a design issue than a technical one.
>>
dwarf fortress adventure mode
>>
>>3805928
I thought that SCZ was the game Zomboid ripped off?
>>
>>3805691
>She will rob me right?
She blinds you instead.

Which now that I think of it, might be harder to do when your eyes are closed.
>>
>>3805805
Name 10 80's open world games, faggot.
>>
>>3811091
Not that faggot but:
Elite, Wasteland, Ultimas, Midwinter, etc. Plus some JRPG bullshit I don't care about but exist.
>>
>>3811195
RPGs don't count.
>>
>>3811264
Care to explain why?
>>
>>3805673
>UnReal World
>Cataclysm
>ADOM
>TOME
>various Angband variants
>Caves Of Qud
Yeah, absolutely no open-world roguelikes.
>>
>>3811362
Because that would be too easy.
>>
>>3805676
>"Open world" games weren't really seen as feasible before GTA III was released.

Is this some misplaced bait on /vr/ or are you genuinely this stupid?
>>
>>3811408
You think that's bad? Check out this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/479990/

>"We expect you are already very familiar with dungeon RPGs by now, right? We felt that this genre needed to be brought to the next level, with real time action that was difficult to achieve with the hardware specs of the previous generation."

This is being said almost two decades after the release of GTA3
>>
>>3811387
>>3811264
There's still open world sand box games like Elite or Pirates.
>>
>>3811383
My friend, this is a retro board.
>>3808137
That's not the question. It is in the blood of roguelikes to provide freedom, yet the most obvious feature you could expect to achieve that freedom, an open world, never was there.

Even some of the games mentioned here are nothing but a mere fixed map with proc generated dungeons.
>>
>>3806132
He's an idiot who's just trying to troll.

>>3805691
She blinds you, the masseuse injures you and your brother takes your food. They're all well worth it though since after a few times of that they will join you normally when you meet them and they're very helpful for getting through the middle section of the dungeon.
>>
>>3813206
>It is in the blood of roguelikes to provide freedom
citation fucking needed.
Rogue itself was 80x24 tile-based. How is that an "open world" ?
>>
>>3813886
That guy has no idea what he's talking about.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.