[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started playing pic related like 5 times and always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: muhdragonkillingspear.jpg (315KB, 858x858px) Image search: [Google]
muhdragonkillingspear.jpg
315KB, 858x858px
I've started playing pic related like 5 times and always dropped it mid-game. I just lose interest over the convoluted affinity system and all that time spent in the menu scree. Why is it considered a masterpiece again? I bet if the game didn't have this seemingly "adult" tone it wouldn't be valued as much
>>
>>3805583
sounds like a personal problem
gems and fusion spells make the game a cakewalk
it's also probably the only good matsuno game along with FFT
>>
File: 1434071775094.jpg (297KB, 536x640px) Image search: [Google]
1434071775094.jpg
297KB, 536x640px
>>3805583
>it's also probably the only good matsuno game along with FFT
>>
>dropped the game 5 times

That's the hint that you don't actually like the game. Which is perfectly normal because it's not a good game and isn't worth playing.
>>
>>3805583
I don't like it either. Just play something else duder.
>>
Vagrant Story isn't a game - not really. It's a convoluted crafting system in disguise of a game which theorycrafters love to spank themselves off over - which is perfect for them because goddamn do you get punished if you either ignore or fail to grasp said crafting.
>>
>>3805583
>convoluted affinity system
>Convoluted
So, having a list of very cheeseable plus and minuses is considered convoluted nowadays?
>Why is it considered a masterpiece again?
Because it has good, unique gameplay, nice graphics, a great OST and even a decent, non intrusive story on top of that.

It's simply not for plebs.
>>
>>3805583
To spite you
>>3805586
>not Tactics Ogre or Person of Lordly Calibur
Wew lad
>>
>>3805583
> I just lose interest over the convoluted affinity system
It barely matters, you can cover all your bases attack wise with 3 weapons and buff/debuffs
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 208x180px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 208x180px
I stopped this game on 80-90%, tried to play it with a friend years later to give it another chance. We bashed the game for crappy gameplay, ditched it and went for FF 7-9 becouse he still havent played it.

>>3805696
>good, unique gameplay
No. Boring dungeon crawling with one character. Combat involves having the right weapon for the right enemy and then bashing it until it dies, standing prone(so the 3D is for show). You need to hide in your basement "craft" that weapon, then repeat.

> nice graphics
Yes, too bad it's just dungeons. Aside from enemy models the game is far from being pretty.
>great OST
Ok, like in any Square game.

>and even a decent, non intrusive story on top of that.
You forgot to mention they feed you as much story as in NES game(or first diablo game). Most of gameplay is walking in dungeon. You will forget the story soon enough. FFT did it better and in similar dark theme.

>It's simply not for plebs
It's for people who do not value their time and find dungeon crawling with almost no story and lacking gameplay entertaining.

/vr /v will defend/bash any game, so whatever
>>
>>3805726
Sounds like you and your friend (lel) are not only autistic, but have incredibly shit taste as well.
>>
>>3805696
pretty much this.

and you never have to craft. the game gives you several means to best your enemies. if you don't want to craft an all-purpose weapon and don't want to menu to weapon-swap, then use a good combination of skills and get good at chaining. the game isn't press-x-to-win, but it's only impossible or tedious if you refuse to figure anything out.

granted, faster menuing would always be nice. overclocking in retroarch might help, but i haven't tried it.

>>3805726
so not only do you bash the gameplay because you couldn't be assed to figure out the basics, but you're bashing the story because it's streamlined instead of bloated.

mainline ff games are definitely more your thing.
>>
I've played the game only once when I was 14 (so, 16 years ago), all I remember is reaching a boss (I think it was a dragon) and finding that all my available weapons dealt about 1-8 dmg to the thing, which made the battle pretty much impossible. Did I just not understand the system or is it really possible to get stuck like that if you don't grind enough for materials and such?
>>
>>3805761
you get the dragonite gem just before the boss, there's also the prostasia spell
I believe his head is weak to piercing weapons, I think I used a spear to beat him, or the rapier and rending gale
>>
>>3805758
>and you never have to craft. the game gives you several means to best your enemies. if you don't want to craft an all-purpose weapon and don't want to menu to weapon-swap, then use a good combination of skills and get good at chaining. the game isn't press-x-to-win, but it's only impossible or tedious if you refuse to figure anything out.

Does not matter, the game is boring no matter how you aproach the combat. Crafting wasn't focus of this post.

>so not only do you bash the gameplay because you couldn't be assed to figure out the basics
I think i pretty much figured basicsout if I completed 80-90% game without much problem no?

> you're bashing the story because it's streamlined instead of bloated.
I did not bash the story. I just pointed out it's pretty much nonexistent compared to dungeon crawling.

>streamlined story
How? The enemies and levels have no connection to the storyline. It is playing levels and being rewarded a bit of story every 5 hours.

You mistook "streamlined" for "short". The story is really short and could be fit on one page. Not that it's bad. The game is bad.
>>
>>3805794
>Crafting wasn't focus of this post.
do you really not understand how replies work?

>I think i pretty much figured basicsout if I completed 80-90% game without much problem no?
no, because you don't need "the right weapon for the right enemy". you figured out enough to limp your way through. this is even more evident by how it took you five hours to get from one story segment to the next.

>I did not bash the story. I just pointed out it's pretty much nonexistent compared to dungeon crawling.
two points. first, it isn't nonexistent by comparison. sparse, sure, but story segments are at most a couple hours apart, with the possible exception of the one maze section. you shouldn't lose track of what's going on.

second, you did bash the story, even if you didn't realize it. you don't forget the story just because story segments are sparse; you forget it because it's forgettable. and it isn't. the storytelling is excellent, and that's what matters, not length. using a non-/vr/ example: sotc has perhaps the best storytelling of any game and does so without a word.

>The enemies and levels have no connection to the storyline.
the bosses do, and normal enemies fit the levels which in turn fit the setting.

>The game is bad.
be sour about your experience if you want, but the fault is yours, not the game's.
>>
>>3805834
>no, because you don't need "the right weapon for the right enemy". you figured out enough to limp your way through. this is even more evident by how it took you five hours to get from one story segment to the next.

I did not write much about combat, just so that OP gets the concept. I will be more verbose now.

The right "weapon" could be the right spell or chain. Whatever. I had no problems with playing the game fast, I was not limping, believe me. I was playing it 10 years ago so i dont remember if story sections were separated by 5 hours or 3 hours.

The point is the combat is boring becouse:
-3D is unnused. range does not matter. Nothing matters.
-only one character. This means less tactics.
-dungeon crawling, only one aspect of game in a game. No any other means of enhancing gameplay.
-You just grab a weapon or magic and kill one enemy after another, If that does not work you change it or make yourself another. Pretty weak concept for 50 hours of gameplay, don't you think?

>two points. first, it isn't nonexistent by comparison. sparse, sure, but story segments are at most a couple hours apart, with the possible exception of the one maze section. you shouldn't lose track of what's going on.

second, you did bash the story, even if you didn't realize it. you don't forget the story just because story segments are sparse; you forget it because it's forgettable. and it isn't. the storytelling is excellent, and that's what matters, not length. using a non-/vr/ example: sotc has perhaps the best storytelling of any game and does so without a word.

It's just a short theatre play, with no character development, just drama set. Ofcourse you forget short stuff like this after 10 years, you only remember the overall theme.

>the bosses do, and normal enemies fit the levels which in turn fit the setting.
Fitting setting is not fitting story. Spoopy skeltals

>The game is good.
be happy about your experience if you want, but the fault is yours, not the game's.
>>
File: o1RBNMy.png (44KB, 229x230px) Image search: [Google]
o1RBNMy.png
44KB, 229x230px
>>3805853
So to summarize this game:
-no roleplaying
-no tactics
-no other means of immersion or gameplay aside from dungeon crawling
-no character development, short drama
-easy game
-good OST if you like moaning ambient
-crappy ugly dank cellars with spooky skeltals
-pushing blocks if youre bored mate
-no open world
-????
-10/10
>>
>>3805865
This is pretty much it. I remember that trailer and intro of the game, just had to buy it. Little did i know...The game did not deliver what it promised.
>>
>>3805853
Not him but you make it clear you never played the game and you're just shitposting.
None of your points make any sense.
3D not mattering? The enemies, and you, can take cover behind plaforms or other objects. Range is extremely important because every single attack in the game has a range and if you're not in active range you can't attack/be attacked, there's a reason each weapon, spell and attack has its range, you would know this if you played the game. Moreover, enemy weakpoints such as a Dragon's tail are literally out of your range most of the time unless you use spells or crossbows, and if an enemy is in the way of your target you'll hit that enemy instead.
>only one character. This means less tactics.
This means nothing whatsoever, the game is designed around one character, moreover, if you played the game you would know that you can have partners at a few points in the game and temporarily befriend monsters. Does Brandish have no tactics because you control only one character? Does Daggerfall have no tactics?
>No any other means of enhancing gameplay.
Well, duh, it's a dungeon crawler. But still, it's funny how you completely ignore both block puzzles and platforming sections.
>Pretty weak concept for 50 hours of gameplay, don't you think?
It's literally the core of any action game, if you think that's weak maybe you should stop playing games altogether. The game doesn't even manage to get around 30 hours by the way.
>with no character development
So Ashley has no character development? Laughable.

Stop talking about games you evidently didn't even watch a youtube video of, you're pathetic.
>>
>>3805878
don't try to reason with him, it's obviously a pleb who's still butthurt because the game beat him
>>
>>3805853
>Fitting setting is not fitting story. Spoopy skeltals
when do common enemies ever fit into a story?

do your random encounters in mainline ff games add to the lore? hell, do they even make sense most of the time?

>>3805865
>moaning ambient
is this a genre?

this should be a genre.
>>
>>3805878
>3D not mattering? The enemies, and you, can take cover behind plaforms or other objects.
That's a lie. This is irrelevant. You just smash enemy, and if youre good you win. The enemies almost never hide, use terrain. The game uses 3D aspects poorly.

>Single character games having less tactics.
Yes thats a fact. It's more about getting your character stronger and less about tactics. TES games like Daggerfall or any other are LESS tactical than group RPGs. Usually.
>Well, duh, it's a dungeon crawler. But still, it's funny how you completely ignore both block puzzles and platforming sections
Block puzzles are disaster here and can be completed by a retard. The same applies to "platforming".
>It's literally the core of any action game, if you think that's weak maybe you should stop playing games altogether.
I don'' play games that suck. Its that simple.
>So Ashley has no character development? Laughable.
Please, tell me something about Ashley. Pretty strong guy and not afraid of anything, what else? Let me guess, now you will start shitting on other shitty games you know that they have also shallow characters.

>Stop talking about games you evidently didn't even watch a youtube video of, you're pathetic.
You are resorting to personal attacks as a last means. You are the one who is pathetic.
>>
>>3805878
>3D not mattering? The enemies, and you, can take cover behind plaforms or other objects. Range is extremely important because every single attack in the game has a range and if you're not in active range you can't attack/be attacked, there's a reason each weapon, spell and attack has its range, you would know this if you played the game. Moreover, enemy weakpoints such as a Dragon's tail are literally out of your range most of the time unless you use spells or crossbows, and if an enemy is in the way of your target you'll hit that enemy instead.

It seems that the game was much smarter than you.
>>
>>3805878
>TAKING COVER in Vagrant Story
>bl ock puzzles
>puzzles involving grabbing a block and putting it somewhere
>platforming
>involves jumping that 3 year old can pull off
>Daggerfall tactics
>tactics as in choosing best gear

How it is like to be easly amused?
>>
>>3806379
>>puzzles involving grabbing a block and putting it somewhere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoban
>>
>>3805583
Don't use the affinity system on your first playthrough, stick to gems and spells.
>>
>>3806468
Better to not play the game at all.
>>
>>3806406
The devil is in the details. Vagrant story has puzzles for idiots, pretty much like Resident series. If you want to think this way, Resident evil 5 has platforming and puzzle sections.
>>
>>3805586
>it's also probably the only good matsuno game along with FFT
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>/vr/ hates Vagrant
Always suspected this board was full of plebs.
>>
>>3807381
Thank you for your wonderful contribiution. Valuable post indeed.
>>
>>3805716
Mah nigga!
>>
>>3805765
I found poking dragons in their tail with a spear to be the best
>>
File: hmm.jpg (397KB, 2560x960px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
397KB, 2560x960px
>>3805765
>class gems
What am I doing wrong?
Other than the emulator and its settings, but that's not the point here.
>>
>>3807381
It's just one samefag shitposter.
>>
>>3807441
that looks like the hand of light, but I don't remember getting the destroyer in the first place
anyway, those trinity gems seem to be lowering your dragon class
don't remember blunt working on dragons either

what dragon are you fighting anyway? thunder (air) dragon?

here are some general tips, just in case

>equip shields, fuck 2H weapons
>use the analyze spell whenever possible
>type is the most important stat, followed by elemental affinity, with class being pretty unimportant
>phantom pain (good with instill) and raging ache are godly
>don't do more than 8 chains unless you're desperate
>you can learn all chain attacks on the first dummy by spamming gain life and gain magic (those won't damage the dummy)
>warlock spells are useless
>herakles + prostasia or elemental fusion is great
>you can cast guard spells on enemies to lower their affinities (pyro guard will raise their fire affinity but lower their armor's water affinity)
>>
>>3807382
more valuable than your shitposting
>>
>>3807381
So why do you hate Vagrant Story? Or are you not counting yourself, someone posting on /vr/, as someone who posts on /vr/?
>>
I gave up on this bullshit game after I reached a boss that needed a certain weapon or armor to even hope to defeat him but I was physically unable to go back and retrieve it leaving me doomed to die everytime I fought it, so yea fuck this game.
>>
>>3807667
I'm not against a dragon, see the last pic on both lines.
Guess what I'm trying to say is that class is worthless.
>>
>>3807712
>I reached a boss that needed a certain weapon or armor to even hope to defeat him
No such thing exists.
>>
File: deep breath.png (4KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
deep breath.png
4KB, 204x247px
>>3805583
I got to the final boss and stopped playing.

The problem with the game is that every time I think I understand the crafting system, I don't. Sometimes I make weapons that do the opposite amount of damage I thought they would do.

Haha, you're gonna get it now, Earth Dragon!

>- 2hp
>>
>>3805873
He was shitting on you, fàm.
>>
>>3805878
REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>3806348
>>3806360
>>3806379
Hello Op, we meet again.
>>
>>3807381
It's just one faggot spamming shitposts, like that Aussie wanker from Castlevania threads.
>>
>>3805726
>becouse
Don't you mean beacause?
>>
>>3805761
You get additional damage everytime you chain.
I played through the game with 100 risk and missing most of the time.
>>
>>3805761
Only doing 1 damage per hit doesn't make a boss impossible, I once punched the stone golem boss to death on a new save file
>>
>>3805949
>is this a genre?

>this should be a genre.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Dungeon+Synth/
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.