[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/. I am taking a quick census regarding 3d platformer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (368KB, 840x334px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
368KB, 840x334px
Hey /vr/. I am taking a quick census regarding 3d platformer collectathon games. If you could take a short minute to answer the following questions and share your opinions I'd be most grateful. Please feel free to answer in as much or little words as you want.
>1.What do you enjoy most about the genre? What do you think improvements could be made towards it?
>2. What is your favorite collectathon game? What is it you enjoyed most about said game and how it was implemented?
>3.What was it that made the genre fun for you? This does not limit to gameplay, visuals/sounds, or mechanics.
>4. The genre has changed and aged, just as any does, since the dawn of the 3d era. Has it changed for the better or worse, why, and how?
>5. There has been a resurgence of the 3d collectathon genre, particularity with indie devs and kickstarter programs. Based on what you've seen of these projects do you like the direction of them, and would they possibly better the genre or worsen it?
>6. What are some bad elements of collectathon games that are overused/unneeded, and examples of such? How do you think these elements could be improved?
If anyone also wants to elicit any discussion on the subject of collectathons, I would be more than happy to talk about mechanics, design, or other elements. I figure this would be a great place to discuss them seeing as most popular collectathons are considered retro. Thanks in advance for your time.
>>
>>3803145
Happy to help.
1. I can resell the games for a profit.
2. Conker's Bad Fur Day is a consistent moneymaker. It's surprising how often they turn up at garage sales or public storage auctions yet the online price is very high. Also I can put +++RARE GAME+++ in the buy it now listing without upsetting my conscience.
3. It feels like I'm rescuing a small piece of people's childhood. Many 30-somethings feel a strong nostalgia for the genre. Teens and 20-somethings like to jump on the bandwagon too which keeps the games in demand.
4. The genre becomes more and more rose-tinted every day.
5. Don't care about indies. I deal in carts.
6. Outside of the Nintendo stuff, the games can start looking pretty cheap. People constantly trying to low-ball.
>>
>>3803297
Ah so you deal in the retro market. Do you run a shop or just sell out of the house?
>>
>>3803312
No need for a shop. These type of games are in high enough demand that people will seek them out themselves. I sell the carts online under a few different names.
>>
>>3803145
I finished Jak & Daxter last week and boy was I happy.
1. Gameplay is simple and fun. Does what it does correctly, doesn't try to cram in as much "content" and subsystems as possible. J&D was the only collectathon I played (aside from bits of Spyro) and it was almost like a chill-only OoT in atmosphere, BUT the NPC's were a bit too static and didn't feel as alive as Zelda games. That's the only improvement I can think of.
2. As I said, J&D was the only one I played. Definitely the atmosphere and immersion. The adaptive soundtrack, the seagulls at the beach, stopping to look at the scenery and seeing their hairs move with the wind, etc. No world transitions were the icing on the cake. All of it perfectly complementing the rest.
3. Simplicity, everything mentioned in 2 kept the game from ever becoming boring even though the gameplay is so simple and doesn't change at all during the whole game, good controls and animations.
5. I know none aside from Yooka Laylee and I didn't have any interest in the genre until last week so I can't help you with this.
I would love some recommendations though, both old and new, as Jak 2 was by far the most disappointing game I've ever played, and I mean this quite literally.
>>
>>3803331
Thanks for the input. Many collectathons have very rich atmospheres with setting and ost.
If you're looking for more, you could always start out with Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, Croc, or alternative ones like Glover and Conker's Bad Fur Day. DK64 I feel isn't as strong as Banjo, and I don't want to turn you off the genre with its flaws (still a decent game though).
>>
>>3803339
Mario 64 counts? I've played (and very much enjoyed) it too then. Also, are Rayman Origins/Legends considered collectathons? Legends is my favorite platformer in like a decade.
I have my eye on Banjo, but I'm too much of a purist to play it on VC.
>>
>>3803351
It's one of the more loose ones, because it has much less to collect, but still has the sandbox design with collectables in it. I'd say Sunshine is a better example, as you're collecting Blue Coins as well.
Rayman Origins is more a 2d platformer, but have you played Rayman 2? That's a 3d collectathon, more linear but counts.
>>
>>3803353
I'm trying to clear my schedule a bit so I can play Rayman 2 in fact. So, Legends doesn't count as it doesn't have sandbox/open design, is that it?
Played Sunshine when it came out but never finished it.
>>
>>3803360
So I've never played Legends before, and looking it up it is considered a collectathon. Sorry I mislead you. But what I'm more trying to get a feel for are people's opinions of the 3d collectathon genre. So yes it is.
I've played Rayman 2 years ago, and I heard it still holds up today.
>>
>>3803145
1. collecting things, colourful environments, gameplay which aims to have fun rather than be a serious experience.
2. spyro 2 or ratchet and clank 1. both games have there orbs/golden bolts hidden in tough to find places which really make you explore every crevice of the map (particularly in r+c).
3. the colourful visuals, fun landscapes. smb3 in particular, is a beautiful game to look at, and a masterful example of great art design (despite the limitations of the nes system).
4. i dont think it has changed for the worse, i think a large majority of games follow the same principles of similar games that game out years ago. nowadays there is more stress of replayability (with r+c, there are tonnes of weapon upgrades to do, and hidden skill points). i think it has only changed for the better, since graphics these days are getting to pixar levels of quality. (not that im adverse to chunky polygons from ps1 era).
5. no comment, havnt played any new indie platform games. but more games can not be a bad thing imo.
6. in r+c the games tend to get a bit too difficult at the end (but this is a very minor complaint), spyro games can be a tad frustrating searching for that last gem. spyro 3 ruined the formula somewhat by introducing too many mini games, and a cast of other playable characters (none of which were as fun to play with as spyro.) the new smb games seem too cute compared to the smb3, and there are far too many 1ups. i love a good challenge, smb3 excelled at gradually upping the difficulty every world. also the goomba shoe and tanooki suit were rarely found items that were exciting features of the game, nowadays theres too little things like that (ie: items u can only find very rarely, in opposed to being able to buy them at shops, or find them in every world.).

in case u didnt guess, my fav. games are r&c, smb3, spyro 2. >>3803331
jak + dax seems like a great series, i'll have to play it one of these days.
the only reason i'd buy ps4 is for new r&c.
>>
>>3803367
>jak + dax seems like a great series
It's not. It's a great game. There's no series. There's the one game. Jak 2/3 is a different series pretty much.
>>
What's the difference between a collectathon and a platformer with collectables?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.