[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the N64 lacked JRPGs? Yes I know, the cartridge and muh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: serveimage.jpg (178KB, 1215x698px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
178KB, 1215x698px
Why did the N64 lacked JRPGs? Yes I know, the cartridge and muh FMVs but still you would think companies would make some non AAA rpgs for it. Even the cube had a lot more of them.

What is the best n64 rpg not named Paper Mario?
>>
Wonder Project maybe if you consider that an RPG. Quest64 is rather primitive but its sequel Aidyn Chronicles is passable. Excluding Paper Mario, the game you'll probably end up playing is pic related.
>>
>>3799035
N64 lacked JRPGs because PSX
>>
>>3799035
Damn, T-1000 is a devious fucker
>>
>>3799047
>an action game with some stats
Not an RPG. Not even a little bit. Megaman 64 is more of an RPG than that fucking beat-em-up.
>>
>>3799035

I guess thats why Zelda oot became so popular.
>>
>>3799059
Out have never even played Hybrid Heaven.
>>
>>3799059
It's literally nothing like a beat em up, it's a turned based wrestling game with a sort of active battle system where you strafe around your enemy until you have enough energy to input a command.
Somewhat similar to Quest 64 but with a wrestling focus.
>>
>>3799035

My experience tells me that possible there must be some JRPG stuck in Japan.
>>
>>3799096

Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPa1nvRu01A
>>
>>3799103
Fuck, would've loved a mystery dungeon game for my N64, would've played it for hours.
>>
>>3799103

Robot Ponkottsu 64
Zoor Majū Tsukai Densetsu

And thats all I can find for the moment.

Sorry mate, I'd really like to help you.
>>
>>3799114

>>3799116
>>3799103
>>3799096

Totally agree. But well, this is like the Dreamcast: "We can consider ourselves satisfied if the console did it good".

And It did!
>>
>>3799096
The N64 was really unpopular in Japan.
>>
File: seinfeld sd gaiden sfc.jpg (52KB, 357x646px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld sd gaiden sfc.jpg
52KB, 357x646px
>>3799035
What would be the point?

Nintendo 64:
—low sales (it tied with Saturn in gen 5 in Japan)
—very questionable 2D capabilities
—cartridges meant a huge step back for a genre which already had a love affair with CD-ROM2
—no support from Square/Enix, industry's 2 undisputed leaders, which you could tailgate
—no commitment from most Japanese devs for that matter
—retarded control over devs, licensing and anti-competition practices that everyone got sick of
—Nintendo's overall focus on Western market

Sony:
—huge sales
—CD-based, relatively easy to develop for, with no retarded shift to either 2D or 3D
—Square/Enix support meant that RPG fans would surely buy the console
—commitment from most Japanese devs
—no licensing hurdles, "free-for-all" console
>>
>>3799035
>Why did the N64 lacked
you italians need to learn proper english
>>
>>3799126
>—low sales (it tied with Saturn in gen 5 in Japan)
I'm pretty certain the Saturn outsold the N64 in Japan because _>muh Virtua Fighter.

The fact that they discontinued the Saturn so early to push the Dreamcast was seen as a betrayal among Japanese consumers
>>
>>3799126
Tied with the Saturn? The Saturn destroyed it in Japan. It was a distant third.
>>
>>3799132
They supported the Saturn up to 2000 in Japan.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 248x203px
>>3799035
ere wii go again it starts wif a pii
>>
It's a shit nintoddler console so not surprised
>>
>>3799132
>>3799135
From respective systems' Wikipedia articles:
> the Nintendo 64 had yielded a lifetime total of 5.54 million system units sold in Japan
> Saturn: 5.8 million units (Japanese page)
Technically, Saturn beat N64 in Japan, but it's not a "winner-takes-all" competition. I'd say they were around the same when compared to PS with its lifetime 19 million consoles in Japan. Maybe if Sega didn't fuck up this badly it'd be better.
>>
>>3799158
That must be stopping sales early, because the Saturn sold 6 million units by 1997.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Saturn
>>
n64 lacked
rpgs
jrpgs
adventure games
lightgun games
racing games
fighting games
mecha games
stealth games
tactical games
puzzle games
and even sports
>>
>>3799168
Thanks Stolar
>>
>>3799179
>racing games
Uh what? That's one of the genres it certainly didn't lack.
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Episode 1 Racer
World Driver Championship
Beetle Adventure Racing
Top Gear Overdrive
Extreme-G
Wipeout 64
Ridge Racer 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Hydro Thunder
Rush 2049
Snowboard Kids
Stunt Racer 64
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
>stealth games
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Winback
>and even sports
A whole bunch of top-tier wrestling games, some of the racing games listed above are sports-related, ISS 98 is GOAT soccer game. If you want to loosen the realism, it also had THPS1 and 2 and Mario Tennis/Golf.
>>
>>3799126
>—very questionable 2D capabilities
in theory, N64 can blit sprites almost 4 times faster than PS1 can
>>
>>3799193
>in theory
You said it yourself.
>>
Why has no one mentioned the best N64 game and the best Ogre Battle Saga game. Ogre Battle 64: Person of the Lordly Caliber.
>>
>>3799047
You're forgetting Ogre Battle 64.
>>
>>3799035
Because it flopped. Especially in Japan.
>>
>>3799190
The N64 doesn't even have a Fire Pro Wrestling game. It has one good wrestling game released four times and it's Japan only sequel.
>>
>>3799202
that doesn't make it questionable, just underutilized for other reasons
>>
>>3799203
>Ogre Battle 64: Person of the Lordly Caliber
certainly the GOAT game title
>>
File: latest[1].png (413KB, 878x318px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
413KB, 878x318px
>>3799205
Woops. Shit, you're right. I always forget it because I still don't understand how to play those kind of SRPGs. It's my Sega kidness showing. I learned on Shining Force and moved straight to Tactics. I don't really get Dragon Force either. Not to be confused with Dragonforce which I love
>>
>>3799257
>spoiler
Poor man's Helloween.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_JdOQDxwY
>>
>>3799179
Racing is the only genre that this console did well.
>>
>>3799082

this sounds fucking awesome
>>
>>3799035
*RATTLES TITS* I LIKE TWIPLE A GAAAEEEEEMMMS
>>
Why bother making an rpg for a console which is harder to develop for, came 3rd in your target market, is owned by a company who are notoriously difficult to work with, will require you to charge more for the game, and will give you a lower profit margin on the games you still manage to sell?
>>
>>3799035
The n64 lacked rpgs because most of them went to the psx because the n64 simply wasn't a very good system. The controller was pretty odd too now that I think about it and this is coming from someone that liked the n64. The playstation had ffvii so a lot of people tried to copy it's success and make their own rpgs.
>>
>>3799035
Im getting triggered thinking about all the fingerprints.
>>
>>3799035
Rip mother 64
>>
>>3799382
Yeah it's pretty fun and can get really technical the more stats you get depending what moves you use a lot, certain body parts get stronger unlocking new moves if you meet stat requirements.
>>
>>3799226
Negro...No fucking Mercy, which is still declared the king of wrestling games and even gets new updates with fan support.
>>
File: 1484868899191m.jpg (145KB, 892x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1484868899191m.jpg
145KB, 892x1024px
>>3799457
I'm still fucking sad that this never became a thing.
>>
>>3799226
>>3799515
I'd argue that WCW vs NWO Revenge as well as Wrestlemania 2000 were also great. No Mercy was definitely the high point for wrestling games of the era though. When that came out it pretty much became the only wrestling game I continued to play.
>>
>>3799035
A: The N64 flopped in glorious nippon so few glorious nipponese numbergrinding games were made for it.
B: Glorious nipponese numbergrinding games were focusing on playtime, and you can't (easily) do a multi-cart game like you can a multi-disk game. Plus, the carts were smaller storage wise than the disks.
>>
>>3799573
OK, but their not great as wrestling games. Fun to play, sure, but they are shallow. WWF Wrrstlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, WCW World Tour, and WCW/nWo Revenge are all, at the core, the same game.
>>
>>3799035
Fingerprint magnet
>>
>>3799659
Well they're made with the same engine, really the series improved with each release from new content to the CAW mode and other options you can fuck around with, which is why No Mercy is so highly regarded. Then again the only other wrestling games I've played aside from the N64 ganes are SvR 2007 and the Def Jam games so take my opinion as you will. I've heard nothing but good things from the FPW and may check it out one day.
>>
>>3799059
Combat isn't action based, it is more about what skills you use and positioning. The only parts that are action based are outside of combat, such as the light platforming and sections when you have to shoot robots with your diffuser.
>>
>>3799659
>OK, but their not great as wrestling games.

Then which ones are? I played many of the Smackdown games and some are good but they feel so different from the N64 games that the N64 games really are in a league of their own. Pretty much apples and oranges.

Looking at FPW and it uses sprites. I never liked wrestling games with sprites. Especially pre N64. They always felt way too awful and needlessly difficult to play. So really this is all a matter of preference and you just apparently don't find them great. Most I've talked to like it if they like wrestling games. You are literally the only one I've ever seen actually say the N64 wrestling games aren't great. Truly a first for me on this site but this should come as no surprise I guess.
>>
>>3799035
When the big name JRPG series moved to PS1 all the smaller knew followed suit because that is where the genre's market was.
>>
Maybe a combination of Nintendo possibly irritating 3rd party developers during the NES and SNES era coupled with how hard it was to develop for the console. Capcom and Konami made their JRPG's for the PS1 and made a TON of games for the PS1 that weren't JRPG's compared to how many games they made for the N64. Sure they made/ported some games for the N64, but nowhere near the volume as they did for the PS1.
>>
>>3800287
Fire PEO Wrestling series is great, All Japan vs Virtual on the Saturn is also good. Giant Gram 2000 on Dreamcast, too.
The Aki games, especially in comparison to FPW, are far too shallow and the mechanics are too easy to manipulate. The strength of FPW is the combat, it plays the best of any wrestling game by far. Using sprites doesn't make it any better or worse.
>>
>>3799035

Not a JRPG, but Aidyn Chronicles - the first mage was the best WRPG of its gen, a real gen ahead of it's time.
>>
>>3799179

>racing games

you do realize the N64 was the best console for racing games like... ever?
>>
>>3799203

I have this game but I never got into it. Could never pass the first few hours without getting bored.
>>
>>3799516
this now my favorite image.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.