[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.ph p?f=22&t=1527 Thoug

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 20

File: snesisdead.png (100KB, 1878x594px) Image search: [Google]
snesisdead.png
100KB, 1878x594px
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1527

Thoughts? Anyone wanna help, or was he a dumbass to trust USPS?
>>
>>3798117
>was he a dumbass to trust USPS?

Holy fuck, yes.

USPS is basically another branch of federal welfare nowadays. Half their employees are fat, black women, who give zero fucks about their job and wish you would fuck off from the counter so they can get back to gossiping. Several of my packages just "disappeared" en route while two others arrived at their destinations with nothing in them but packing shit (it wasn't eBay or anything, these were to people I already knew).

If you're sending anything of value, use FedEx.
>>
>USPS
USPS is fucking garbage, and its employees, like most people who work for the federal government, are either braindead morons or blacks who steal shit from packages.

I wish Trump would just fucking dissolve USPS.
>>
>>3798117
>PAL set
ANd nothing of value was lost.
>>
Five bucks says nothing was 'lost' and he just wants to get away with shitty PAL vidya.
>>
8 days over a month is troubling, but it really, truly, definitely is too early to call it lost. I'd take action, for sure, but unless he has other evidence, I don't think it is time to give up hope. I don't even know if USPS would take action on an insurance claim at this point.
>>
File: 1478336164507.jpg (21KB, 313x235px) Image search: [Google]
1478336164507.jpg
21KB, 313x235px
>>3798117
>PAL

Who fucking cares.
>>
>>3798117
Open up a claim ASAP. Make sure to contact the Main Distribution Center in Atlanta, GA.

If the package was undeliverable they'll hold it there for a while, but not tell anyone where it actually is. Give them the best description of what it looks like, email them photos of the package if you have any and pictures of what the games/lot looks like so if they find it they can set it aside.

Primary advice- STAY ON TOP OF THIS. If you let it go, they'll let it go. They'll only work as hard as you make them.

Keep notes of all your interactions. Dates, times, phone number called, who you spoke to, and what the "next step" they told you was. Refer to these notes everytime you call so you have details of what you were previously told.
>>
>>3798151
USPS tends to be the best out of the 3 for delivery at least in my experience.
>>
I've never had any issues with USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

He's more an idiot for using USPS to ship internationally than UPS.

Of all shipping carriers, I've found DHL to be the most incompetent. I've bought things from people who use DHL and it takes over two weeks for the item to arrive from a fucking state away.
>>
>>3798282
Same. I'm wondering if this is a regional thing.
>>
>Not insuring your package that has a value of more than $50

Could be stuck in customs? I had a set of Warhammer miniatures returned to me after what semed like forever that were to be shipped to France.
>>
>>3798197
https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/826544349890674691

He's a dick in general, used gpl v3 to steal code that wasn't his and was an idiot to trust Usps with a parcel of this importance, but he's not a thief.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 619x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 619x350px
>>3798498
last one.
>>
>>3798503
>>3798498
>>3798495
so it's not lost?

>people ITT hating PAL-region
I though we were friends ;_;
>>
>>3798620
It is lost, he doesn't know where it is and the tracking hasn't updated in some time.

Truth is, byuu is probably autistic and overreacting, it's stuck in customs and will arrive eventually.
>>
>>3798117
>was he a dumbass to trust USPS?

Absolutely yes. Why would anyone send anything important over regular mail? Let alone regular American mail? You'd have better luck throwing them in the trash and hoping it ends up at a nearby dump.

At least they were PAL games.
>>
>>3798117
>being so autistic to put a stop on your project because you're afraid your package will never be delivered and making such a huge deal about it
>gaming websites take this tantrum without a grain of salt and seriously think it's this dramatic

Don't get me wrong, I love all the contributions he's done for the emulation scene but this is just ridiculous. What's even worse is that journalists don't even do some more research or that they even think this is newsworthy. I fucking hate this world.
>>
>>3799513

Wait, so gaming news sites are covering this?
>>
>PAL
>USPS
>no tracking
>no real insurance
>was a donation
>going to stop whatever gay thing he was doing 4evur
>going to spend several paychecks "compensating"

I think I'd rather just pretend my eyes hadn't witnessed the extreme faggotry in contained within that image
>>
>muh PAL is shit! lololol xD
You do realize that PAL versions often have new content and bug fixes quietly slipped in right?

The frequency of the game 50hz/60hz isn't set by the ROM but by the console.
>>
>>3798435
He did insure it, for over-sea shipping. Not local shipping.
>>
>>3798117
>or was he a dumbass to trust USPS?
I thought it was the collector (who is in europe) that was a dumbass to trust USPS, not Byuu.

Still sucks though. I bet the games will show up at his house randomly in a month or so.
>>
>>3798435
The original courier (DHL I think?) already said it got through customs. It's very likely just stuck in a distribution center and USPS being incompetent lost track of it.

Byuu's still trying to track down the packages, but will start paying the money back soon enough if he doesn't get any immediate leads. Sucks though, I certainly would not want to be in his position.
>>
>>3800220
>I certainly would not want to be in his position.
On all fours with his ass cheeks spread widely apart?
>>
>>3798407
Like any widespread service it depends on the employees themselves. Take for example Lucky Supermarket. There are three in my area, the one downtown near the slums is always dirty and have shit customer service, another next to the university employs college students who slack off at work all the time and are only there to pay off expenses, and then there is the one at the edge of town that is actually clean and ran by competent people.
>>
>>3798117
More in-depth info: https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/lost-package/
>>
>>3798117
I read that thread but I see nothing about the details of his delivery, how it was delivered, or where he shipped it to. If he sent it just to his house then it could just be that some nigger just stole it off his porch while he was gone.
>>
>>3800230
>DHL
So basically it's lost
>>
>>3798367
His package actually shipped using DHL first and supposedly transfered to USPS after hitting a warehouse. He is retarded for not trying to investigate both services and simply blaming the latter.
>>
>>3800230
>DHL
>Getting a confirmation from DHL's Twitter person instead of the warehouse they dropped it off instead
>>
>>3799525
Vidya news is slow, gotta get those clicks somehow you know.
I wonder if the articles are gonna be written immaturely and heavily biased considering modern day "journalism"
>>
>>3800263
Knowing that, I'd say that the fault lies more with DHL than USPS. I don't know why anyone uses DHL, they're awful. UPS operates globally and I trust them far more than I'd ever trust DHL.
>>
I'm having a real hard time with this whole shitshow.

This is the same byuu who's spent the last, what, 13 fucking years developing an emulator that no one needs or wants using code that wasn't his in the first place, right?

Let me guess, the "SNES Preservation Project" was supposed to be a "Patreon Project" and the money just wasn't there? Now we have to watch this dishonest clown fiesta play itself out?
>>
>>3800416
I'm in Australia and my input is probably irrelevant however importing hundreds of games I've found:

DHL: slow but gets here everytime, eventually
UPS: very fast, arrives everytime
FedEx: extremely fast (I can order something from California Friday evening and it's on my doorstep Monday morning)
USPS: slow, tries to integrate itself with Australia Post which is equally slow, several articles have never turned up.
>>
>>3800635
>no one needs or wants
There were at least 3 games that weren't fully playable on any emulator until his autism was rustled enough.

>Patreon Project
No, actually. He got the games how he could, some he bought, the absolute rarest ones he had to loan. What happened here is that USPS lost 100 loaned games. He never asked for money, now he's saying he might ask for money to repay the original owner if he can't get the money through freelancing. Really, where the fuck are people getting the idea that Byuu is some scam artist who spent 13 years acting like he cares about the SNES just to steal not even 10 grand in rare PAL games who no one in the US is going to buy?
>>
>>3800691
You expect common sense on a board full of autistic assholes
>>
>>3800691
Byuu is the SNES version of Mike Kennedy.
Steals and plays the innocent card, over and over.
>>
>>3800774
Are people just mad that he's a liberal or something? I can't see any other way he could've triggered so much people in the emu community, since he barely even talks to other emu devs.
>>
>>3800215
>I thought it was the collector (who is in europe) that was a dumbass to trust USPS
Person in Europe has no control over who handles the package in the US.

>no tracking
ok, that's unforgivable.
>>
>>3800981
There's tracking. It's just not working.
>>
>>3800272
Looks like you're right about that last statement. I found a site where they wrote in a different language where they even took some article from Eurogamer word for word without even googling for the forum in OPs picture. God damn it those guys are lazy.
>>
>>3798449
>used gpl v3 to steal code
>but he's not a thief
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5uckkd/100_snes_pal_game_shipment_update_package_was/

They sent him a torn up packing label and claimed the machine ate it
>>
Serves him well for being a fucking autist requiring special ROM dumps so they can work on his emulator that wotn even run zipped ROMs... eat shit you fucking autist.
>>
>>3802683
Judging by the cardboard it looks like it wasn't strong enough to actually handle the load, and it's wet in the right corner too. I wouldn't ship 100 snes games all at once unless it was being put in a good transport container, especially if it's going long distance.
>"FUCKING THIEVES ARE LYING I SWEAR I DON'T HAVE PROOF BUT I KNOW THEY STOLE MUH GAMES PLEASE DONATE TO MY PATREON"
>>
>>3802698
The box was being sent to byuu not the other way around, the sender is the one that wrapped them like that. Although that doesn't look like part of a box it looks more like brown wrapping paper used for shipping.
>>
>>3802683
>"for future mailings please reinforce the packaging with heavy duty mailing tape all the way around"
Watch it actually have been the donor's fault for skimping out on how he packed the games in.
>>
>>3800208
>The frequency of the game 50hz/60hz isn't set by the ROM but by the console.

Thats wrong. Maybe for some consoles but definitely not for the snes.
>>
>>3802694
that's not at all why he's redumping (some existing dumps have already been proven to be bad during this effort to redump), but, you know, keep being retarded

>>3802698
it's paper used to wrap a box, as >>3802714 pointed out. most likely what happened was that the sender wrapped the box with paper for whatever reason, which can (and often does) get torn off during the sorting process, resulting in a misplaced package.

Never a good idea to do this, ever. I never do it and I always cover the entire mailing label with clear packing tape to ensure that it gets where it is going.

I doubt anyone stole it, more likely the USPS was unable to reunite the box with the label and the box is in a lost and found.
>>
Why is a DHL-package being handled by USPS?

Just tell them the package is Mexican, they will be forced find it and send it back. xd
>>
>>3802776
Yep, this is the most likely scenario. From the picture it's clearly not cardboard, definitely paper. He's got an uphill battle if he wants to reclaim that package since if they even allow him to look through his post office's lost and found to try to match the paper up, he could still choose wrong.
>>
>>3798117
Kek in so many ways. No, he is a dumbass.

>>3798157
lel

>>3800789
Yeah, it's a vast right wing conspiracy. huehue. Fucking fucktard.
>>
>>3802903
I've ordered something in states that ended up being transferred over to USPS but I assume we don't have a fancy DHL station or whatever.
>>
>>3798145
>>3798151
>>3798282
>>3798367

So I run a small e-commerce company and sent out about 50 packages per day. I couldn't find any data on carrier reliability so I decided to split up my shipments between the 3 major companies and collect it myself.

I found that over several thousand parcels all over the country, USPS actually has a slightly (but not statistically significant) advantage. They tend to get packages lost more whereas UPS and FedEx tend to damage them more (again, this is slight though). I decided to just stick with USPS outside of a few problem regions because they are cheaper and faster than USPS and FedEx at our price point.

I've thought about this a lot and I think it makes sense because FedEx and UPS often hire the delivery people as independent contractors instead of employees, so they get paid per package delivered and are essentially incentivized to do a bad job so they can get paid more. This is contrasted by USPS workers who get a salary and benefits. I would have a few late or missing packages that often turn up later (64% according to my data) than broken packages as a result of UPS and FedEx trying to save on labor costs.

USPS shittiness goes down to the local level, not regional. For example, I never use USPS to deliver to Denver because they often mark things as delivered then they show up 2 days later.

Also, I haven't collected data on this, re: anons comment about black female USPS workers, all of the screwed up orders to my company have been from white guys.

RE: Byuu, he should have used a guaranteed carrier. Dude is being a big baby in my opinion. One mistake and we have a fit and quits If you're gonna take on big projects you can't be so risk averse.

If Trump dissolves USPS, FedEx and UPS will jack up their prices and lower their service, guaranteed. Competition is good.

I'm sure the package was lost or stolen as it was scanned in New Jersey meaning it can't be stuck in customs or anything. Hope it turns up though.
>>
File: kLxZo0Z.jpg (699KB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
kLxZo0Z.jpg
699KB, 4000x2992px
kek
>>
File: satania .jpg (91KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
satania .jpg
91KB, 1366x768px
>>3803083
wow they just tore out all the sending information from the package

good luck finding the games now
>>
>>3803083
Oh fuck, its lost forever unless the sender was smart enough to include delevery information inside the box also.
>>
File: fs.jpg (20KB, 371x253px) Image search: [Google]
fs.jpg
20KB, 371x253px
>>3803083
Kek at First Class.
Strangely their letter arrived in pristine condition and like some reditor said, surely that letter is on file and sent out many times per week/month.
>where the weight of contests rest
Strange about the typo if that is the case.
>>
>>3803083
>dat shitty, xeros/printing-quality of the letter
holy crap, USPS confirmed nigger-tier.
>>
Dey stole mah vidyo gaems
>>
Maybe it would be smart to check recent ebay- and craigslist-entries for PAL SNES games coming from the US.
There got to be a sudden influx now.
>>
>a bunch of plastic bullshit
>worth 10k dollarinos
>>
>>3803083

>American postal services
>>
>>3803206
>hands you a check

>a bunch of paper bullshit
>worth 10k dollarinos
>>
File: 1332597258383.jpg (37KB, 630x470px) Image search: [Google]
1332597258383.jpg
37KB, 630x470px
>>3803083
If they where smart, they would have split up the damn shipment into several shipments over several months to mitigate any risk of theft.

TL;DR Don't put all your eggs in one basket kids.
>>
>>3802776
>some existing dumps have already been proven to be bad during this effort to redump
which?
>>
>>3803076
My older brother is a driver for UPS. They aren't paid per package delivered, but every stop is tracked via the handheld computer they carry. Drivers are given a set number of packages and the handheld computer provides a pre-determined route to follow and any delays in stops demand explanations. It especially doesn't help if you have to deliver to a hospital for instance, where the hospital is listed as a single stop. Then you have a supervisor breathing down your neck asking why a single stop took 45 minutes.

Also, UPS is unionized via the Teamsters. They have a salary and benefits. FedEx isn't unionized labor.
>>
>>3800691
Yeah, they sure did. The postal service stole his games and then sent him a hastily-printed homemade letter of apology, complete with a typo. Yeah, fuck this guy.
>>
>>3798449
>used gpl v3 to steal code that wasn't his
I don't think you know how GPL works...
>>
>>3803224
They did. This was to be the second of five shipments from the same German collector. He received the first package without incident some time ago. How else do you think he had a legit looking German package to tear up to go with the phony USPS letter?
>>
>>3800981
>Person in Europe has no control over who handles the package in the US.
Neither does the Person in the US. The only possible control would be the person who shipped it.
>>3802694
>special ROM dumps so they can work on his emulator
Are you completely retarded? That's entirely not why he's redumping these. He's redumping them because the existing dumps are not proper dumps, let alone 1:1 dumps of the cartridges. This is fairly important for proper preservation. Any other emulator is free to support this dump format.

What's funny is you harbor this hate towards byuu, someone who has done magnitudes more work for the emulation community than you've probably done with your life, while you can't even curb your idiocy long enough to actually think about why he's redumping these, and yet he's the autist? Go to the fucking doctor man...
>>
>>3803347
Not him, but you sucking this guy's dick is equally annoying, especially considering you're just another nobody like the faggot you're replying to.

On a more important note, am I the only one finding it hard to believe that with the tens of thousands of people who've been involved with preservation/emulation over the years, that no one has these "correct dumps" already? That multiple people don't?
>>
>>3803348
Not him, but you shitting on this guy's dick is equally annoying, especially considering you're just another nobody like the faggot you're replying to.
>>
>>3803354
All I wanted you to do was get byuu's nuts out of your mouth. It's been multiple posts now. If you want to idolize some filthy little thief feel free, but don't shit up a thread with it.
>>
>>3803357
Nah, I'm not the same anon, I only have one of byuu's nuts in my mouth.
>>
>>3803184
I'm sensing liberal butthurt. Gonna be a long eight years, friend.
>>
>>3803368
Wait what? I'm laughing so hard right now. Where in the fuck did that come from?
>>
File: boxFront[1].jpg (114KB, 900x539px) Image search: [Google]
boxFront[1].jpg
114KB, 900x539px
>>3798117

The type of person dumb enough to send 100 carts through the mail to someone as a "donation", is probably dumb enough to put a bunch of kitsch and campy snes references on the box.

pic related - the box he probably sent it in, unwrapped.
>>
>>3803368
>"Hey man, how's it going?"
>"Whoa there, I'm sensing liberal butthurt. Gonna be a long eight years, FRIEND."
>>
>>3802903
I think all of the private delivery companies piggyback on USPS infrastructure. If the package is delivered to a rural area USPS might even deliver it themselves. In my area UPS frequently has packages delivered by USPS rather than by their trucks.
>>
>>3803381
Yup. That's what liberal butthurt feels like, friendo.
>>
>>3803383
Yeah, FedEx SmartPost works similarly. They all cooperate with the USPS.
>>
Why did he needed to have all those carts shipped to him into America? I live in mainland Europe and I could dump all the carts for him and scan all boxes and manuals. Only limitation is that my scanner only takes A4 size max, and if any carts have the screws covered with a sticker, then I'm not able to open them without destroying the sticker.

Shipping from europe to america costs an arm and a leg even for a basic package. I had $30 CDs for which USPS required something like $50 to ship over.
>>
>>3799525
>Wait, so gaming news sites are covering this?

Gaming news sites cover fucking twitter messages.
>>
>>3803829
You don't understand the type of autist byuu really is.

He makes squarepusher blush.
>>
>>3799098
(Origin Post is preparing shipment)

It means it's on a boat, taking the slowest route to the US it can. Byuu is an overreacting faggot.
>>
>>3803829
The lesser known part of it is determining the physical mapping of the cartridges which is important for emulation. Basically he's making a huge list which says "game x is distributed on PCB y which uses this particular memory mapping".

Most games fall into what is generally known as lorom or hirom, but there are a lot of other types. Some games like Mario All-Stars (?) for instance have their own unique memory layout. The idea is that a game with an incorrectly assigned layout could potentially bork at some point in an emulator because it's expecting ROM or SRAM to be mirrored somewhere that it's not or vice versa. It's not something that could be feasibly done on a case by case basis.

That said, I don't think there would be a lot of mapping surprises in a PAL set. The ROM verification angle probably works a lot better for PR.

I'm not too familiar with the process of obtaining the memory map. For a while he was using a modded SNES, interfacing with the serial port and hotswapping cartridges, but apparently he's using some specially crafted custom setup. More than just some $30 ROM dumper by the sound of it.
>>
>>3803854
In that case, he fully deserved it.

Not the fact that it was lost, but that it was a LOANED game that he now has to pay full. If you are really that autistic, then fucking buy the game. Don't bitch for donations or loans.
>>
>>3803870
AFAIK the guy who sent the games didn't even want reimbursed. It's byuu who's insisting on paying the guy back.
>>
>>3803868
I'm sure that all of those mappings are based on templates, ie. they used one type of mapping for 100 carts, another type for 120 other carts, etc etc. The mappings could be determined then from the cart PCB layout, and by identifying the mapper chips, which you can do from their labels. So if you simply have hi-res PCB shots of all the carts, with the chip labels all readable, then you can figure out what mapping a game uses from that.

Provided that you already have the template done, but if you had hundreds of carts already dumped, then chances are you already got the majority of them done.

That leaves the unique items which you don't have a template for. But this alone cuts down the amount of games that need to be shipped to a small fraction.
>>
>>3803870
It's not one game,
100 games were in that package
>>
>>3803883
point still stands. Buy them for yourself if you want to make some autistic black magic documentation with them. Don't ask for """""donations""""".
>>
>>3803250
Thanks for correcting me. I was under the impression that the people in the back of the truck are not salaried.
>>
>>3803898
How so? The donor was willing and they've done this before too.
It's the shipping company that fucked up.
>>
>100 rare SNES carts goes missing, possibly worst
>Attention seekers from /v/ tries to make it about themself
>>
>>3803939
*worse
Sorry, I'm being a filthy phone poster, but at least I'm not shit posting like most phone posters
>>
>>3803908
Well in that case we have a case of Dumb & Dumber here.

Also, how were the games packaged? Looking at this image:
>>3803083
if the address info could be torn off that easy, then I question if the stuff was packaged properly. And by properly I mean properly for $10000 worth of content.
>>
File: 1486649160202.gif (134KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
1486649160202.gif
134KB, 393x393px
>>3798117
Am I supposed to know who this person is and why I care about their postal issues?
>>
>>3804036
>Am I supposed to know who this person is and why I care about their postal issues?
No, but he's involved in the emulation/preservation scene and deserves respect for his work, even if we can look with derision at his decision to use USPS for anything of value.
>>
>>3804036
>I'm a nobody with no power.
At least he's finally facing reality. Turns out no one cares about the autistic cataloging of the SNES for posterity. Dust to dust.
>>
>>3803076
>absolutely no proof whatsoever
okay tough guy you can drop the roleplaying now, fooling yourself isn't going to fool others into your bullshit
>>
>>3803905
Some drivers have helpers, but not all of them do. They obviously have helpers during the holiday season since they need all the help they can get, but a lot of the time the person you see driving the truck is the person that delivers the packages. Everything is based on seniority there. The guys with the most seniority get first dibs on things like bidding for routes and vacation weeks, then you go down the chain from there.
>>
Yes, it probably would've been much safer to break down the load and send them piece by piece instead of all at once. That still doesn't mean you are at fault when the USPS fucks up. I've bought many things over the years and, as best I can recall, everything arrived in one piece. Whatever the case, byuu was trying to do something good and contribute to the SNES scene, he shouldn't be ragged on for this.
>>
>>3803958
>if the address info could be torn off that easy, then I question if the stuff was packaged properly
You'd think something as important as donated SNES games would be shipped in something sturdier, especially given how it was apparently $10k worth of games. When my parents send fuckhuge amounts of silly USA goods back to the Philipines as presents to our distant relatives they don't just settle for cardboard alone, they actually tie up the box using rope and slap laminated shipping labels on all sides to guarantee my cousins get it.
>>
>>3804036
He made bsnes I think. Apparently somebody donated him 100 pal region SNES games but it got lost in transit due to poor packaging, now this guy is super mad about it and is claiming that USPS stole it and is out to get him while also begging for patreon donations.
>>
>>3804048
USPS has handled almost all deliveries for me for the past 15 years. Computer parts, books, vidya, merch, etc. have all come to me just fine save for the one time a couple niggers stole a package off my porch. I think the only real time I had a problem with them was when I tried out Amazon Locker the other month and they couldn't deliver it because the locker I chose was full, and then I couldn't just pick it up from the post office because usually you're supposed to hand them a notice of attempted delivery to pick it up in person so I had to wait the next day when the locker had a free spot.
>>
>>3804589
The only thing I'm ragging him for is how he's just jumping to conclusions about USPS "stealing" his package and trying to convince everybody else that the only reason the games are gone is because the mailman stole his shit, when really this just seems like another case of poor packaging/poor handling.
>>
>my autistic dream of scanning boxes will never come true

maybe he can find some cereal or funko pop boxes to scan instead
>>
File: 1401519574362.gif (1MB, 399x197px) Image search: [Google]
1401519574362.gif
1MB, 399x197px
>>3798117
Hey look the games media "journalists" decided to crawl out of their hugboxes for easy clicks. Let's see what these bloggers are saying:
>Eurogamer
SNES preservation project "dead" after $10k of games lost in the post [no mention of these being pal region games and the images in the article use us region games]
http://archive.is/xLN7L

Yet more bad news for SNES preservation project which lost $10k of games in the post [which is just >>3803083]
http://archive.is/MZTVC

>Kuntaku
$10,000 Worth Of SNES Games Goes Missing In The Mail [says byuu admits that the fault lies in both him and the donor in how they were packaging and shipping the games, but still blames USPS wholly]
http://archive.is/r3QtA

>Gamezone
USPS effectively stopped a SNES game preservation project after around $10K of games lost [uses US region material for images, no mention that these were pal games]
http://archive.is/7rKef

>Destructoid
$10,000 worth of SNES history is missing [no mention of these being pal games]
http://archive.is/quB1Z

So in conclusion they all say pretty much the same shit: usps failed to deliver the snes games and we all need to really care about this not because they are snes games, not because it could have led to better romdumps using new methods, but because this happened to a guy with some kind of fame to his name and we all need to donate to his patreon right now.
I'm posting a duckling just because.
>>
>>3804673
That is a really cute sleepy duckling.
>>
>>3803860
Tracking showed it scanned in NJ
>>
>>3804673
It seems like a lot of people are interested in this story judging by this thread. Their job is to write about stuff their readers are interested in.
>>
>>3804775
>judging by this thread
>52 IPs
>>
>>3804775
Capt Obvious.
>>
>>3804051
Actually the best thing to come out of the whole situation.
>>
>>3804838

It's all because of Pmurt and the fact that the US isn't socialist.
>>
File: ObamaSmirk.jpg (79KB, 580x440px) Image search: [Google]
ObamaSmirk.jpg
79KB, 580x440px
>>3804839
>US isn't socialist.
>>
>>3804790

That's like 85% of regular and semi-regular /vr posters.
>>
>>3804620
>The only thing I'm ragging him for is how he's just jumping to conclusions about USPS "stealing" his package
come on, imagine how huge a pile of 100 SNES-cartridges is.
you can't just lose that this easily.
>>
>>3805426
The outer covering with the label was brown paper and got torn off. Now it's just a big box full of who-knows-what. Like thousands of others.

I call shenanigans on the whole affair. What kind of German would settle for such shoddy packaging?
>>
>>3802694
I thought people on /vr/ are supposed to be smarter than this.
>>
>>3804036
Did seeing this thread on the front page or catalog of /vr/ hurt your so much you had to come in and tell everyone you don't know the guy?

Fait enough, I'll make a note in my diary that anon 3804036 on /vr/ doesn't know byuu.
>>
File: ayylmao.png (48KB, 797x224px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.png
48KB, 797x224px
>>3805437
>What kind of German would settle for such shoddy packaging?

He was on Hartz IV (long-term welfare/benefits) according to byuu. I wouldn't expect well thought out decisions from these kind of people. Not that every Hartzi is retarded, but a lot of them are.
>>
>>3805517
>He was on Hartz IV (long-term welfare/benefits)
PFFFHAHA
>>
>>3805437
Imagine if this was for a HDTV or a computer case. If the seller didn't slap a label on the box itself then it becomes a problem for the carrier to be able to deliver it to the recipient.
>>
>>3805426
USPS "stealing" a package and them losing it are two different things. Hell byuu's starting to talk about hiring a lawyer to sue them for federal theft, he's being serious about that claim he's making.
>>
>USPS
>>
>>3805517
>Hartz IV (long-term welfare/benefits)

Now everything makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>3806247

Nigga his worldview comes from an unhealthy mix of anime, Twitter friends, and heavy autism. Rational decisions are a non-starter for people like him.
>>
File: byuuuuuu.jpg (489KB, 1248x1992px) Image search: [Google]
byuuuuuu.jpg
489KB, 1248x1992px
>>3798117
>>
Who the feck needs Higan and this guys retarded SNES non-public preservation project when we have the bsnes-core for Retroarch and No-Intro, lol
>>
File: 1486659703134.png (466KB, 604x565px) Image search: [Google]
1486659703134.png
466KB, 604x565px
>>3805517

So this guy blew his NEETbux on collecting PAL SNES games, then got fucked over because he couldn't bother to package the stupid thing properly?
>>
>>3798117
USPS just lost one of packages and is fighting me on it being insured when it clearly was. They are a bunch of fuck ups.
>>
>>3806320
LOL!!1
>>
>>3803225
Maximum Carnage and a few others (Fatal Fury I think).

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14920
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14799

inb4 autism, even if it's just a few pixels, redumping for verification and proper presevation is of tantamount importance

>>3805517
german post office actually tells people to wrap their packages in brown paper, fucking unbelieveable. never ever do this.

>>3806303
byuu literally has mental issues, read his twitter or his message board sometime.

>>3806320
the sha 256 checksums are hosted on his site for you to verify your ROMs are accurate:
https://preservation.byuu.org/Super+Nintendo+%28USA%29

his goal is not to pirate games for bums like you.
>>
>>3808354
>byuu literally has mental issues
Well he avatars with anime girl faces, so you don't even need to read the content of his posts to know something's wrong.
>>
>>3808379
>girls

Pretty sure he has a shota obsession, not lolis
>>
>>3803076
>New Jersey
WTF happens there. Most of Slashdot claimed the same thing
>>
>>3808379

So he's an autistic, weeaboo, leftist, likely pedophile that lives on Twitter and must have everything perfect. My god, he's a living summary of the retro gaming community.
>>
>>3806341
Most likely he has been NEETing for decade or two, and hoarded a gigantic collection of flea marked sales.
Their marked value in 2017 is a entirely different thing.

>>3803346
Also this is a good detail.
Second shipment? First went fine? Good.
>>
>>3798117
>USPS

Even if the package arrived the guy would've just tossed it on the front porch either damaging the carts or causing someone else to steal the package after he leaves.
>>
>>3800208
That was common on the N64 but how often did it happen on the SNES?
>>
>>3803346
Well they should have split it up into more.

100 cartridges is asking to be stolen because you have to declare the value.
>>
>>3808543
He's legit on the spectrum, very weeaboo and very leftist, but also gay, employed long term and married to some guy, so at least he's not a total outcast lie the German dude on benefits who can't even package a big box properly.

I hope byuu gets a reality check because USPS isn't in on some conspiracy to steal his carts. If he thinks he's gonna get sympathy bucks on Patreon so he can pay it back to that German neet he's got another thing coming.
>>
>>3798117

>stealing 50hz garbage

The world has sunk to a new low.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (73KB, 320x603px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
73KB, 320x603px
>Buy vidya from Japan
>regular mail, 3-5 dollar shipment, no tracking number
>always arrives

>Buy vidya from Europe
>regular mail, 5-10 dollar shipment, no tracking number
>always arrives

>Buy vidya from the US
>USPS/Fedex, 300 dollars shipment, tracking number, GPS, FBI code, etc
>They steal/lose your shit

Fuck you americans and your pathetic excuse of postal service. I live in the third world and even here is better and we dont jew other countries to send shit.
>>
>>3809053
>Europe
>reasonable international shipping charges
>>
Really wish someone would track down this alleged German NEET collector. I have a feeling he's not aware of much, if not any, of this situation.
>>
>>3809337
Somebody asked about it on byuu's forums but now that I try looking for the post it's gone
>>
>>3809053
>Live in U.S.
>buy stuff from China, Japan, and Europe
>Takes a couple weeks but it always arrives

With the pictures byuu posted, it's patently obvious this is a problem with how the shipper packed the games and not the postal service. The shipper is an idiot that wrapped the package with paper. There's literally zero need to do that. A simple cardboard box that's properly taped shut with a properly secured shipping label will have zero issues.
>>
>>3808354
>Maximum Carnage and a few others (Fatal Fury I think).
fug
>>
>>3808525
It's a Jersey thing.
>>
>>3808354
>https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14920

>Ninty programmed ROMs with faulty data after a certain date

How the hell do you verify that kind of game?
>>
>>3798157
This. Why in the fuck would ANYONE care about the PAL set? It's literally inferior in every possible way, I'd actually be happy if PAL was forever purged from the world, because sometimes I download a PSX iso and it turns out to be mislabelled PAL trash.

60hz is already headache inducing on CRTs. 50hz is like smashing your own head in with a hammer.

The number of PAL titles actually worth preserving can be counted on one hand, and they're all safely preserved already.
>>
>>3809550
>safely preserved
You haven't even read the threads, have you? Game dumps were corrupted to hell and back. One game had a wildly noticeable bad pixel on the "Good"ROM set. Preservation isn't just "hurrdurr I can play it", preservation means having it in as close to the original form as possible.
>>
>>3809550
you are free to ignore PAL-stuff, why are you sperging out so hard?
>>
>>3802724
>Maybe for some consoles but definitely not for the snes.
Definitely for the SNES you stupid fuck. The PS1 and N64 were the first consoles I know of that had software control over output frequency.

Even the Saturn needs a physical switch.
>>
>>3809564
OK byuu, go back to begging on Patreon. "Bad" pixel? Please.
>>
>>3809550
>60hz is already headache inducing on CRTs. 50hz is like smashing your own head in with a hammer.

Please explain further. I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>3809620
Look at this shit though
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14920
This went through for however long this shit has been copied, which is likely 2 or 3 hours after release. 24 years of this shit and it's a popular game, imagine the level of bullshit the niche games must be at.
>>
>>3809309
It is, for upper middle class Euro.
Unless you want to send half a meter large crates, in which case you reach "fuck you" territory.
>>
>>3809631
To be fair, if a single bit in a graphic gets corrupted, what's to say that a single bit in the code itself isn't corrupted as well?
>>
>>3809653
I think he said there was one game where it happened, but it didn't actually fuck anything up.
>>
>>3809621
It's probably just him. A tiny amount of the population are able to see far higher frequencies than others. You know those long tube lights on ceilings? Those can induce headaches and stress in people, even if they do not perceive the flickering.
>>
>>3809631
Fair enough, I just hate byuu.
>>
>>3809631
>Note how the sum of the bytes add up to a correct internal ROM header checksum either way.

Bravo, Ninty.
>>
>>3809567
Pal snes games will play at 50hz on a NTSC console. Hence why 60hz patches exist for pal exclusives.
>>
>>3811260
uh, no.
>>
>>3811260
Those patches would only exist to bypass region security and/or undo any 50hz optimization that may have been applied to the ROM.
>>
>>3803153
>Strange about the typo if that is the case.
You underestimate the lack of care people have in my country. Anyone that noticed the typo isn't going to report it, even if they did nobody cares enough about their job to fix it. They don't even care enough to ship packages, which is their entire business.
>>
>>3809337
>>3809372

Of course he is aware of the situation

https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1527&start=60#p38012
>>
>>3809396
>finding more excuses

Not surprising your postal service is so shitty when you got US people basically being proud of eating shit and thanking the ass it comes from
>>
>>3811285
>Poorly pack a package
>Act surprised when said package gets damaged en route
>>
>>3811294
How do you know it was poorly packaged? Are you the USPS employee who stole it ?

Just because there was paper put around the box does not necessarily mean the inside box was not correctly protected... and certainly does not explain where those 100 games disappeared.
>>
>>3811308
>Just because there was paper put around the box does not necessarily mean the inside box was not correctly protected.
maybe, but that box now is unmarked and without a shipping label.
>>
>>3811308
Yeah that guy worded it poorly, but still it'd be pretty hard to match some torn brown packing paper to the correct box when there could be a dozen baker's dozens of boxes just like it constantly being shuffled around in and out of the building nonstop around the clock. If this was at a processing center then trying to reunite the label to its box would be like trying to stop niggers from committing crimes, it ain't gonna happen no matter how hard you try. What the guy should've done is either forego the wrapping altogether and reinforce the box with tape instead or attach additional shipping labels on the box's other faces.
You know just as an aside I ordered a mechanical keyboard off Amazon the other day and the seller was so lazy and cheap that he just slapped the label on the keyboard's actual packaging and mailed it to me bare. Fucking $3.99 S/H fee for that shit, I'm actually surprised the thing even arrived safely like that, and something bad happening to it wouldn't even really be USPS's fault in that case. I complained to the seller about his bullshit and he refunded me the cost entirely.
>>
>>3811308
>How do you know it was poorly packaged? Are you the USPS employee who stole it ?
>Two boxes taped together with brown paper around them
>>
>>3811464
How do you know there were two boxes and the paper was brown? Are you an USPS employee? Which local store are you going to sell that lot? I will pay $275 for the MMX3 cart, thx.
>>
>>3811491
The German sender said so in the forum post someone else linked
>>
File: need_more_ziploc_bags.jpg (694KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
need_more_ziploc_bags.jpg
694KB, 2592x1944px
I can imagine how two boxes wrapped in a paper bag can tear. Given the gap between the two boxes can cause stretching and tearing of the outer paper bag, especially going through machines/processing where other packages (or people) bang/thrown together. Taping the two boxes together may have helped a bit, but there is no reason for any package not insulated enough to take the beating going through machines and unhappy workers. Also if the same package was exposed to the elements in some way, the moisture can weaken that outer paper-bag material.

It is a shame because I would like a nice complete ROMset too of verified accurate dumps, even including the PAL releases in case I want to emulate those games.
>>
File: c7xhOav.jpg (100KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
c7xhOav.jpg
100KB, 533x400px
>PAL
>>
>>3811308
>How do you know it was poorly packaged?
Because the sender wrapped brown paper around the damn thing and said brown paper was damaged en route.

>Just because there was paper put around the box does not necessarily mean the inside box was not correctly protected
I'm not talking about the insides, I'm talking about the outside. Wrapping a box in what is effectively brown construction paper is fucking stupid because that paper is going to get scuffed, ripped, and torn just from regular handling during shipping — and what a surprise, the paper wrapping got torn off and now the box has no shipping label and thus cannot be reliably delivered.
>>
>>3798449
>used gpl v3 to steal code
How can you be this fucking dumb
>>
whats that niggers tracking number say?
>>
>>3812206
Wrapping shit in brown paper is standard procedure at the post office, granted, it's a relic since most USPS stuff is flat rate.

It's the guys fault for not being adequate with packing tape. If you wrap enough tape around the brown paper it holds together much better and you won't have ot ripping and tearing.

>source
I do it all the fucking time.
>>
>>3811272
>>3811281
So your telling me my pal snes games will play at the proper speeds if i play them on a super famicom?
>>
I'm so happy that I'm not autistic as fuck and don't care for perfect rom dumps and 100% emulator accuracy. Makes life just so much better and more effecient, spending time to actually care about worthwhile shit.
>>
>>3798449
Whats with his obsession with little boys?
>>
>>3806320
, lol!
>>
>>3812171
Fuck that's a luscious image.
>>
>>3813321
if the game has not been PAL optimized, yes. Otherwise it'll run too fast and/or have bugs.
>>
>>3812171
It's the same reason why /CRT/ tells people not to have your displays shipped any distance if they can avoid it, if the guy sending it can't properly wrap it up then that shit is bound to get fucked and thus a good piece of outdated tech will be lost forever.
>>
>>3814158
>if the game has not been PAL optimized, yes. Otherwise it'll run too fast and/or have bugs.

So I was lied to, thanks, Ill stick to emulation.
>>
>>3808354
What the fuck is the point of a preservation project if it's holed up on some autist's hard drive?

That's not preservation, that's data hoarding.
>>
>>3813241
you're just as dumb as the fucking germans who think doing this is a good idea.

>>3814873
the checksums are there for you to validate against your own ROMs/dumps. again, it isn't his job to pirate things for you.
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.