[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm playing Donkey Kong Country 2 and I get to the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: donkey kong country.jpg (901KB, 1053x924px) Image search: [Google]
donkey kong country.jpg
901KB, 1053x924px
So I'm playing Donkey Kong Country 2 and I get to the first level of the last world. I drain like all my lives on this section before looking up and learning that there's a roll-jump technique where you jump after rolling off an edge. Wtf? I never learned that through gameplay and did the whole game without it. This is just bad design, to never require a player use a technique (that's never taught!) until the VERY end of the game. Not impressed in the least.
>>
yeah get good faggot
>>
Alright, jump... Get over there! C'mon! Get... OVER THERE!!! UGGHH!! Why can't I clear this jump?

Oh, wait. You mean there's a ROLL jump? A ROLL JUMP!? How was I suppose to know how to do that? The *game* never told me anything about a stupid roll jump, I thought the bananas were just there to tell me to leap into the bramble and kill myself, a game designer's "fuck you," if you will. What a shitload of fuck! I mean, a ROLL JUMP? What were they thinking!?!? Did a human being even playtest this monkey turd?

I'd rather eat a mongoose's rancid fuckfarts with a side of seagull caca than play this shitty game!
>>
Such a nice looking game though.
>>
>>3796893
Its in the manual.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>3796893
This happened to me with Wario Land 2. I didn't know you could crouch slide until the final fucking level lmao

I wasn't a little bitch about it like you though.
>>
>>3796931
>I wasn't a little bitch about it like you though.
Can you clarify? Is just saying "this is bad design" being a little bitch?
>>
>>3796937
>Is just saying "this is bad design" being a little bitch?

Yeah pretty much lol
>>
>>3796908
Thanks for the laugh, you really captured his spirit
>>
File: 14852032890.jpg (25KB, 450x339px) Image search: [Google]
14852032890.jpg
25KB, 450x339px
>>3796893
>He never paid for the Kong Kollege
>>
I had the same problem as a kid
Just learn the rolljump, it's not hard.

And think on the bright side: now you have an enjoyable postgame with your newly learned trick.
>>
>>3796979
I somewhat regret phrasing the OP like I did, it's not actually a big deal. Only took a second to learn to roll jump and no other part of the level/game needs it so yeah. I was just surprised that they'd only make it necessary at one point in the whole game.
>>
>>3796985
the game tries to teach it to you from the previous game even. There's kong letters, bananas, lives, etc. that all requires knowing how to use it. Obviously you aren't supposed to die and get the letter, you wouldn't keep it then. You're supposed to experiment.
>>
>>3797010
I actually got most of those through the kong throw. Well, from the beginning I wasn't aiming for a 100% run, so I skimmed past many, but whenever there was a (now obviously) roll jump area, the throw worked fine.
>>
File: KongKollege.png (18KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
KongKollege.png
18KB, 256x224px
>being a dropout
>>
>>3796893
You probably also think the crouch-jump in half life is bad design

are you DSP's brother?
>>
>>3797065
OP probably got stuck on the jump in White Land II in F-Zero because he didn't know that pressing down while jumping makes you go higher and farther, and gives you a smooth landing.
>>
WOOOOOOW what am I supposed to do here? I can't jump. Fuck this, come on mayn. I dunno what to do!

Someone in the stream chat says you have to roll off the edge then jump. What the fuck? How is anybody supposed to know to do that? The game doesn't tell you! It's a beginner's trap!
>>
I keep getting stuck in Brinstar after I get the power bombs. There's this energy tank and then you fall down a pit and there's no way out. There's a door that leads to nowhere but a straight vertical shaft. How the hell am I supposed to get out of here?
>>
>>3796893
>Never taught

Bullshit! Wrinkly Kong teaches you that shit in the first world.
>>
>>3797013
yeah the Kong throw kinda fucks over what the game is conveying

for what it is worth, there were bits like this in the first game - there was no throw mechanic there, so you HAD to figure out rolljumping to get those items; if you came in from 1 it was obvious what to do, but in 2 it's easy to just assume that's what throwing is for
>>
>>3797109
To be fair, telling a game mechanic textually is worse than through subtext. I'm not a native English speaker and I visited Kong Kollege only to save because my English was ultra shit as a kid.
>>
>>3797127
Good thing that the game manual was printed in your language, then!

Unless it actually wasn't, but I'm not going to withdraw my sarcastic reply just because of that!
>>
File: 1452694519662.webm (601KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
1452694519662.webm
601KB, 512x448px
OP is full of shit, I've learned how to jump in midair by myself when I was just a snot nosed kid.
You know what's bullshit? This.
>>
>>3796893
> Bad level design
This is where you learn to do it. It's an advanced technique, so it doesn't appear until the end. The level clearly makes jumping a no go, and the trail of bananas suggest that you need to walk off the platform. The level design is fine, you are just dumb.
>>
>>3798148
I remember feeling like such a pro the first time I managed to pull that off.
>>
>>3798148
You can fly over there with Dixie as well. Doing that water skip with Kiddy took me so many tries until I finally mastered it and to be honest, it made playing the game a lot more fun, especially for speedrunning it.
>>
>>3796893

Can't you helicopter hair over that?

And banana trails don't often lie - there's in on the far left of the drop. What happens if you hit it?
>>
>>3796893
Go away Arin.
>>
>>3797094

Having just experienced this a few weeks ago for the very first time, it really IS bullshit. They explain literally every other button and control in the game EXCEPT the run function. And there's a delay, so it doesn't immediately have an effect when you try it out either.
>>
>>3796985

There's a once-in-the-whole-game moment in DK3 too, where you need Kiddy to bounce on the water twice to reach a bonus barrel.

It's a pain to get the timing right and if you miss you have to re-enter the level.
>>
>>3796893
>So I'm playing Donkey Kong Country 2 and I get to the first level of the last world. I drain like all my lives on this section before looking up and learning that there's a roll-jump technique where you jump after rolling off an edge. Wtf? I never learned that through gameplay and did the whole game without it. This is just bad design, to never require a player use a technique (that's never taught!) until the VERY end of the game. Not impressed in the least.

When a game is so awesome, people try to nitpick on the smallest things.
>>
File: git gud.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
git gud.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>waaah dk2 is too haaaard
>*sniffles* d-dk2 just sucks, its just bad design. *wipes tear* that's the reason i can't beat it.
>>
>>3796893
I didn't actually think it was possible to be this retarded, I'm genuinely impressed.
>>
DKC3 thread when guys?
>>
>>3796893
I'm pretty sure Wrinkly tells you about it.
>>
>>3796893
Anyone who's played the original should know about the trick.
>>
You know when you watch somebody play a platformer and they only press one button at a time and they are moving so slowly and not jumping far? It pains me when I see that and this is the same thing. I just always knew to hold Y to run and to press it to roll into an enemy and when you roll off a cliff you hit jump while in the air. I can't even imagine how you made it this far in the game. Did you always throw your buddy across large gaps?
>>
>>3796893
Beat the full game when I was 9 years old, no guides or anything used, no problems. Guess that makes me more intelligent than u eh op?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.