[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to play Mother 1, whats the best version of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

I want to play Mother 1, whats the best version of this? Nes,GBA or Wii U VC?
>>
>>3796268
See >>3795907
>>
>>3796274
thanks dude, I have a Wii U but also a NES, will decide between those 2.
>>
It's a bit of a catch-22.

The fanmade translation patch for the GBA version is far better and more faithful to the original script than the official translation, and also has a lot more offbeat Earthbound-style humor, whereas the official version is very dry.

The downside is, the GBA version's sound quality is godawful compared to the NES original. It sucks that there's no way to patch the superior fan translation onto the NES ROM.
>>
>>3796359
>It sucks that there's no way to patch the superior fan translation onto the NES ROM.

Take a peek at the 25th anniversary hack. It's got Tomato's translation and includes improved visuals.
>>
famicom
>>
File: 1430716100790.png (373KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1430716100790.png
373KB, 480x640px
>>3796268
ACTUAL answer here. Allow me to go maximum autism.

NES/Wii U: original translation done by Phil Sandhop meant for the US release. Sandhop's translation is pretty dry and has certain lines and sprites censored. On top of that he also made some changes himself for things he thought sounded "childish". Personally I don't recommend it as I feel it just is too much.

GBA: A retranslation by Tomato, who did the M3 version. On top of still having the improvements incorporated in the US version this now has a more faithful script and is entirely uncensored. The biggest flaw comes more from the GBA, which had inferior color and sound. There does exist a color restoration patch however a sound patch still doesn't exist.

NES retranslation: A kind of weird case. This is someone who basically put Tomato's translation on the NES version. Although this sounds ideal it has one kind of big flaw. The reason Tomato translated the GBA version was due to it having more space, meaning lines wouldn't have to put on a limit of characters. On the NES version the character limit is quite shorter meaning certain lines were butchered or kept from the Sandhop translation.

Personally I say either the GBA or the NES version is the way to go. Pick your poison with inferior music or kind of butcheted lines.

Feel free to ask anything else and I'll try to help.
>>
>>3797326
>On the NES version the character limit is quite shorter meaning certain lines were butchered or kept from the Sandhop translation.
Oh crap man. They never fixed this? Is this the thing you're talking about: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Earthbound-for-NES-with-tomato-s-translation
>>
>>3797326
>NES retranslation
Is this the same thing as the 25th anniversary hack >>3796718 mentioned? If not, do you have anything to say about it?
>>
File: mother25thanniversary.png (38KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
mother25thanniversary.png
38KB, 512x448px
>>3797650
It has """improved""" visuals, or more like "we fix what hasn't been broken". Don't know about you, but to me it looks much like other similar hacks, i.e. like a total shit.

The fucking irony is that Mother had a very similar pixel art style to EB. So they basically axed it to stay "more faithful" to concept art, i.e. clay models. No comments
>>
>>3797650
>>3796718
just play the 25th anniversary, or wait for the remake built on snes earthbound
>>
>>3797660
It's the shit advice guy again. Stop recommending your cancerous fan remake shit. Earthbound prototype (vanilla or retranslation) is the way to go. 25th anniversary hack is fan diarrhea that looks nothing like the original. Unless shit tier indie homebrew graphics is your thing
>>
>>3797650
no, it's just made by the same guy and he included it in his 25th anniversary patch.

if you just want the retranslation, see >>3797497
>>
>>3797731
>it's just made by the same guy
How so? The author of Mother 25th Anniversary hack is DragonDePlatino. The guy behind the standalone retranslation patch goes by the nickname wyatt8740, as far as I know.
>>
File: 1449110838459.jpg (436KB, 691x565px) Image search: [Google]
1449110838459.jpg
436KB, 691x565px
>>3797650
Actual guy you're responding to, here are my thoughts.

Firstly, no, they are different. Theh25th anniversary hack was made by a group as a way to sort of "update" Mother 1. The entire game has received a graphical overhaul with the goal of being more accurate to the clay models seen for the game's marketing.

The 25th anniversary hack is an impressive and commendable project but not one I can really recommend myself. I feel the makers of it really did try when making it but that ultimately it falls flat. The translation used is Tomato's and the sound is the original NES version. Personally I'll just be honest and say I think it looks lind of ugly myself. You can watch a few videos and form your oen view but I will say the graphics don't feel like Mother. I can't recommend it as a first time player.

If you need links to any version feel free to ask.
>>
>>3797770
my bad then. i was going by the credits in the rhdn readme: no credit for retranslation, so i assumed that fell under "everything else".
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.