[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point to owning any physical retro consoles/ games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: Emu-wild[1].jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Emu-wild[1].jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
What is the point to owning any physical retro consoles/ games when you can throw old PC parts together and run Lakka easy as fuck?

You could even buy USB versions of console-specific controllers if you still want the feel of them in your hand.

For me, I'm running Lakka and using wireless Logitech F710 controllers. I have hundreds of games across multiple platforms available without having to move or fuck with wires and AV switches. The only thing I'm missing out on is blowing into cartridges before ramming them into a hole.
>>
It's often said that no emulator is as accurate as the physical device. In my experience, it has to do with a very, very slight lag between a button press and when that press is expressed in-game. Very, very, very slight. It's generally imperceptible excepting only a handful of instances that I've noticed or unless you're really looking for it. One situation that comes immediately to mind where this lag is highly noticeable is the Yoshi races in Mario RPG. I was fan-fucking-tastic at them when I owned a physical console and cartridge but emulation's inability to note button presses with the same immediacy as hardware makes it nigh impossible. Another is Track and Field 2 for NES. With certain parts of the game, I used to affix a plastic ruler to the controller and flick at it. Doing this hits the buttons super quickly and results in the best possible time, faster even than turbo controllers. Emulation, however, can't handle that set up. I've only noticed this issue in a few other games that aren't springing to mind just yet. While emulation inaccuracies (including lag issues) are certainly noticeable if you pay close attention for it, it's not nearly as bad as some people here make it out to be and most games run just fine.
All that said, unless you're a stickler for whatever reason or just have an attachment to owning and playing the physical hardware, emulation should be fine for most of your gaming needs.
>>
>>3795151

tl;dr version
>autism and nostalgia
>>
it's better than emulation.
>>
i agree with you on emulation, although i still buy games in the rare instance i can find them for cheap. I just love hoarding dusty old junk! :D that being said, i think emulation will be superseded by FPGAs eventually, removing any lag inherent to the device, and when monitor tech catches up and allows no input lag and color depth and to actually look like a crt, then your old consoles will be absolutely obsolete, and only collected by weirdo dingleberries like us who like sittin around looking at walls of dusty old crapola, pretty cool huh :D
>>
>What is the point of going to a museum when you can just look at pictures of art online?
>>
>>3795082
>What is the point
For you? Nothing. If you just want to play around with a few old games there's no reason to spend tens of dollars and learn how to plug in AV cables. The only reason you'd use original hardware is if you want to play and complete those other thousands of games that aren't emulated well.
>>
Lemme piggy back here with a Retromuharch question that someone here might know the answer to:

Playing with a keyboard, is there any way to map the same button to more than one key?
Lemme clarify: say you're playing a Playstation game. Can you map triangle from controller 1 to both the [ key and 7 on the number pad or whatever two other keys you might want or are you stuck picking only one key per controller button?
Being able to map one button to multiple keys would greatly help my Retroarch experience.

>>3795156
I guess? Not quite what I was trying to say, but nor is your tl;dr synopsis inaccurate, either.
>>
>>3795292
banpu.
>>
>>3795082
>Lakka
Wtf, just run a linux box with some emulators. No special hardware required. How hard is it to navigate a filesystem? Ain't no need for second rate garbage.
>>
good to see the aussies shitpost on more than one board
>>
>>3795082

What's the point of owning an emu? It's going to shit on your carpet. Fuck you
>>
>>3796487
Their flesh and eggs are yummy
>>
>>3795082
My game collection doubles as my retirement fund. My CiB Harvest Moon 64 will be worth a year of college tuition in due time.
>>
>>3796715

>this is what game "investors" actually believe
>>
>>3796720
I don't invest in shit. Most of it is my childhood collection. I'm just glad I sold very little of it back in the day.
>>
>>3796715
that's why one going for $100 BiN is not selling right?
>>
>>3796715
that game has already hit its all time of around $500-700 it definitely will not ever go more than that.
>>
>>3796728

I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Either way, I honestly believe it is overly optimistic to think that any one game outside of shit like Stadium Events or other games already in the 4-figure+ range will ever be valued at several grand. Is it POSSIBLE? Sure, I guess there are things far more unlikely that have come to pass, but I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>3796750
just noticed you meant the n64 version
lol that shit is worth nothing
>>
>>3796751
I'm being mostly facetious when I say it'll be worth a college fund, but I have no doubt it could at least be worth a couple months' rent money.
>>
>>3796756
nah bro the n64 version of harvest moon is not in demand at all and saw huge distribution, in fact it's probably one of natsume's most distributed games ever. official natsume repros of the snes game go for a little over 2grand, the n64 version has never been sold for more than $150 on ebay unless it was completely mint or brand new or sealed / vga rated.

this is getting completely off topic tho so im gonna stop replying to your shitty baits
>>
>>3795292
>>3796458
Banpuru.
>>
>>3796715
Wouldn't it be easier to build your hobo shelter out of a big cardboard box instead of a bunch of little ones?
>>
muh epic authenticity and hipster cred
>>
>>3795082
The only reason I buy physical carts or disc games nowadays is to resell them. This spring and summer at the flea market I'm going to sell off most of my games because they just sit in totes or on the shelf and it's much easier to just play on emulators.
>>
File: 1486906667254.jpg (32KB, 234x254px) Image search: [Google]
1486906667254.jpg
32KB, 234x254px
>>3795168
>spend tens of dollars and learn how to plug in AV cables

Are you 8 years old?
>>
>>3795151
>>3795151

Paragraphs. For the love of god, please use paragraphs.
>>
>>3798271

>>3795168
your head
>>
my grandma doesn't know how to computers
>>
Look, I like emulators, preserving history should be the number one priority for everyone in the videogame community regardless of if they use emus or not. But fuck playing on an HDTV, fuck playing with ROMs that have been messed around with and nobody noticed until Byuu was bored enough, fuck dealing with inaccuracy until someone realizes there's no fucking shadows in a flight game that desperately needs them, and most of all, fuck having to fumble with configurations for 3 hours because the emu devs can't just settle on OpenGL/Vulkan and desperately have to develop 50 different backends that only work on whatever the dev is using at the moment, only to find out that configuration doesn't work with another game because fuck being accurate, this workaround gives me 3 more FPS on Mario Kart. I'd have no issue with any of these if we were back in the ZSNES era and we were totally in the dark about how the SNES works and had to squeeze as much as possible out of a Pentium 2, but there's documentation out the ass for retro consoles nowadays, and PCs are strong enough to be accurate. Not as accurate as BSNES, but at the very least accurate enough that graphic effects actually work on N64 games without using some Glide bullshit.
>>
>>3798274
Don't read Thomas Bernhard's novels m8, because the whole book is literally one paragraph

>>3798416
Jajajaja
>>
>>3798274
its often said that no emulator is as accurate as the physical device in my experience it has to do with a very very slight lag between a button press and when that press is expressed ingame very very very slight its generally imperceptible excepting only a handful of instances that ive noticed or unless youre really looking for it one situation that comes immediately to mind where this lag is highly noticeable is the yoshi races in mario rpg i was fanfuckingtastic at them when i owned a physical console and cartridge but emulations inability to note button presses with the same immediacy as hardware makes it nigh impossible

another is track and field 2 for nes with certain parts of the game i used to affix a plastic ruler to the controller and flick at it doing this hits the buttons super quickly and results in the best possible time faster even than turbo controllers emulation however cant handle that set up ive only noticed this issue in a few other games that arent springing to mind just yet while emulation inaccuracies (including lag issues) are certainly noticeable if you pay close attention for it its not nearly as bad as some people here make it out to be and most games run just fine

all that said unless youre a stickler for whatever reason or just have an attachment to owning and playing the physical hardware emulation should be fine for most of your gaming needs

Is that better, you pedantic cum-queef?
>>
>>3799864
>use paragraphs
He meant next time cum-queef. No one wants to read that shit again
>>
>>3795082
>You could even buy USB versions of console-specific controllers if you still want the feel of them in your hand.
You know, for the most part I agree with everything else you said, but this part is just plain wrong. I've gone through dozens of controllers like this and they all have shit tier D pads. Even if the shape is right, the firmness never is and they always end up feeling fake. That alone is what puts me into flash cart town.
>>
>>3795082
>m-muh input lag
is the only rebuttal you're going to get from delusional collectards trying to rationalize their hundreds of dollars spent on plastic toys. They also suck at video games so they use imaginary lag as an excuse.

I guarantee if you did a double-blind test with real hardware and emulator on a CRT with original controllers, nobody would be able to tell the difference.
>>
>>3799995
Just get a USB to Whatever adapter and Bam you can use your original controller for a fraction the price of a flashcart
>>
>>3800271
>i totally did this and it totally works and i totally know what im talking about
>>
>>3800528
I have the SNES to USB adapter and it works just fine
>>
>>3800551
>i played eb on my pc
Cool story kiddo
>>
>>3795292
Anyone?
>>
>>3795082
gg
>>
>>3800030
It's a real thing, but people often exaggerate the degree to which it detracts from gameplay. It's. noticeable and distracting in a few games but in most, while the lag is certainly there, you'd only notice if you went out of your way to do so, kinda like those magic eye posters that were so popular in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>3795159
Not enough to justify the cost and effort.
>>
>>3795167
You believe that playing a game on a marginally different device than it was intended is the equivalent to viewing a Picasso on a screen literally a fraction of the size of the original?
>>
>>3798441
Jesus man, calm down.
>>
>>3795082
Emulation brings lag. For most, it's not important. But as a fighter and shooter player, it's important to me.

Emulation has errors sometimes. Nothing that impacts me, but I know it's a problem for some things like Saturn and N64 games.

Another is that I own the games from the day I purchased it already. I have no desire to spend more money just so I can play the games I already own.
>>
>>3795156
Try playing parappa on an emulator and tell me it is not noticeably harder than on an actual ps1
>>
>>3795082
Because hunting around in old fleamarkets and second hand stores, occasionally finding that gem to add to your collection is fun. Plus you get to own a little piece of video game history, a history that is very quickly being lost to time as more and more stuff breaks or is thrown out. This coming from a guy who has a very nice retro pie setup.
>>
>>3799987
I didn't read it the first time either
>>
>>3802390
>>3795163
>>3797787
>>3795292
Bueller?
>>
>>3803809
It's hard to do with a dude's crotch in your face, cocksucker. Take the balls off your chin and you'll be better able to read what's in front of you.
>>
File: 14874590644976.jpg (31KB, 486x457px) Image search: [Google]
14874590644976.jpg
31KB, 486x457px
>>3795292
First of all
>Using a keyboard
Why?

>Playing with a keyboard, is there any way to map the same button to more than one key?

Yes but its a bit involved. See ONLY using Retroarch you could have "A" be "]" on your keyboard and "A" on your controller, but no more than one button/key per controller/keyboard, per bind, per user, so in this case both would input as "A" simultaneously. Also you can't use more than one controller at a time per user, you'd have to switch in between the "user index" to change what controller you want per that user.

BUT lets say you want to have the "Q" "T" "]" and "9" keys as well as the "A" and "L1" buttons on your controller all be mapped to "A' and use more than two controllers per user at once. You can do so using third party programs the first being JoyToKey and the second being RocketLauncher. Here is a somewhat OK guide I found for integrating RA with RL and another for using JTK,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYgHzjCfbxw
https://gameroomsolutions.com/hyperspin-controller-setup-with-joytokey-and-gamepad/

You could just use JTK but RL will automatically switch between profiles used for different systems if you use it as a front end or set up HyperSpin as a front end.

God speed anon if you need help feel free to ask or make a thread hope my autism helped shed some light on the matter.
>>
>>3808375
>why keyboard
I have an LG Enact smartphone. It has a built in, slide out keyboard. I use WASD as the directional buttons using my left thumb and various other keys on the opposite side for the play buttons with my right thumb. I love it for discreet, on-the-go and in-between-time emulation. I 100%ed DKC recently for example, just with the free time during meal breaks and other down time at work.

>all that explanation
Well damn. Looks like I can't do anything since I don't believe there's a J2K for Android. I'm familiar with it already since I use it on my PC.

See, what I wanted was to map directional button UP to W as well as Q and E then map LEFT to A as well as Q and Z, RIGHT to D, E and C and DOWN to S, Z and C because Retroarch lacks diagonal inputs altogether. This way, I can use Q, E, C and Z for UP-LEFT, UP-RIGHT, DOWN-RIGHT and DOWN-LEFT, respectively. Guess that's a bust, then. Unless you know some other way.

Thanks for the input, Anon. Wish there was something I could do for you in kind. If you lived near, I'd bake you something.
>>
>>3808657
Some other way to get diagonals in Android Retroarch, anyone?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.