[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how come no one has made 1:1 hardware clones for retro consoles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: LmAcS6f.jpg (186KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
LmAcS6f.jpg
186KB, 1200x800px
So how come no one has made 1:1 hardware clones for retro consoles? Why is everything glorified emulators with cartridge slots? How has some chink not dug up and leaked old snes manufacturing specs?
>>
>>3792996
Because Chinks didn't make the consoles back then.
>>
>>3792996
No one manufacturers the parts for these things anymore, it would be very expensive and time consuming.
>>
because they're making superior FPGA simulations instead

why even post threads like this if you can't do some research first
>>
>>3792996
>So how come no one has made 1:1 hardware clones for retro consoles?

Pretty sure old school taiwanese famiclones were close to that
>>
but they did
>>
That's exactly what the Atari Flashback 2 was, and it was pretty cheap, a plug n play console kinda thing, I don't know why other companies don't follow this example.
>>
>>3793075
Do you think they'll make an FPGA SNES like they did for the NES with the RetroUSB AVS? Or would it be prohibitively expensive right now?
>>
File: analogue_nt1.jpg (456KB, 1920x964px) Image search: [Google]
analogue_nt1.jpg
456KB, 1920x964px
>>3792996
But someone has, anon.
>>
>>3793258
Someone needs to finish programming the SNES core, it hasn't been completed yet.
>>
>>3792996
>start-select buttonless second controller
Fucking retardos
>>
File: reh.jpg (7KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
reh.jpg
7KB, 280x180px
>>3793296

I know, right
>>
File: 1472744733415.jpg (38KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
1472744733415.jpg
38KB, 500x343px
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-newest-snes-16-Bit-Game-Console-NTSC-version-and-PAL-version/32706267994.html
Here is one of them. It isn't 1:1 but it's a perfect clone and not an emubox. I have one. It has S-Video output and it fucking runs SuperFX games, look in the Ali comments, I made screenshots. Really good stuff. NOAC consoles and famiclones are still shit, though, but playable. I finished a lot of games on a D99 noac and it wasn't that bad. My friend has a MD mini clone and it runs games flawlessly, too. Give it some years and we'll see fucking N64 clones on chink webshops.
>>
>>3793283
I don't believe anyone is working on the SA-1 core and the SFX core isn't even in pre-alpha
>>
>>3793270
thats an emulator.
>>
>>3794267
its actually a Frankenstein NES
>>
>>3794267
No, it's a custom FPGA board built to replicate the original NES hardware. You know, exactly what OP was after.
>>
>>3792996
Because if you never heard of something it doesn't exist. lol.

>>3793258
Clones were made years ago using separate logic for various chips. No doubt some russian kid will some day reverse engineer ancient chink technology and put it all in one package.

>>3794262
Pics of where those chips are located in an SNES? Fucktard.
>>
>>3794267
Hardware simulation isn't emulation.
>>
File: minimig_1.jpg (132KB, 613x600px) Image search: [Google]
minimig_1.jpg
132KB, 613x600px
>>3792996
What you say?
>>
>>3793270
only the mini is; the pictured device has actual NES hardware inside

seriously why are so many people wrong on the internet; it bothers me more and more each day
>>
>>3792996
There are FPGA-based clones made today. Anything closer isn't really possible because the original chips are dependent on manufacturing processes that aren't in use anymore.
>>
>>3793270
That's not a clone. They tear apart real NES consoles and repackage them in a custom enclosure before selling them for $499 USD.

They're not making more consoles, they're recycling ones that already exist. And assuming they don't have a 100% success rate, they're destroying some too.
>>
>>3794945
Correct. Hardware simulation is broad term usually used to describe a process of simulating hardware in software with even less accuracy than a HLE.
The more you know.
The analogue nt does not use hardware simulation.
>>
>>3794989
Not anymore. Analogue NT uses FPGA boards now.
>>
>>3795108
So why would you pay $500 for this over the $180 RetroUSB AVS, unless you absolutely have to have an aluminium chassis or whatever the fuck the Analogue NT is made out of.
>>
>>3792996
>So how come no one has made 1:1 hardware clones for retro consoles?

Because accuracy of hardware takes a back seat to just having the thing work. Anyone interested enough to want that shit running through the right chips will also tell you to fuck off with your reproduction hardware.
>>
>>3794956
your a moran
>>
>>3794945
EMULATOR
>>
>>3795131
Not saying it's worth the price, but the NT Mini has RGB output for people that like that sort of thing as well as considerably more powerful hardware inside which is actually having "jailbroken" cores/firmware released for it to allow for other consoles to be played back as well as loading games from an SD rather than requiring carts. I say "jailbroken" since kevtris is both the one behind the original software as well as the one releasing the "unofficial" cores.
>>
Is the FPGA code for these devices opensource?

It would be pretty swell to make a device that just plays Roms on the original hardware instead of buying a everdrive or real carts.

You could also do all the upscaling stuff so it's not shit on a HDTV.

Wouldn't mind a FPGA of the Saturn. that would be pretty fucking awesome. Saturn is not emulated well and buying original hardware is expensive since modchip are hard to come by and even if you buy all the games you still rely on the cddrive which is slow and just waiting to fail and die.

FPGAs have really dropped in price too.
>>
>>3795020
so what would you call it if not hardware simulation?
>>
>>3795321
the nt mini also outputs 1080p and has analog output, which the avs does not.

>>3795665
if I spent a bunch of time writing a core for a retro console, I either wouldn't release it, or I'd use some license
>>
>>3794945

It's not even simulation. This is real hardware, real gates are in there.

FPGAs are used to prototype hardware designs before they go into mass production. They are also used when volume is so low that it doesn't make economic sense. (Ie you are selling a special piece of hardware for 100k and maybe sell 10-20 of them a year) even at higher volumes you will still see FPGAs , I have a PCI hdmi capture card with a FPGA.

Other reason is for flexibility, it may cost alot of actually replace the hardware once it's in the field, or special customer requests might require you to change the software.

FPGAs are real hardware.
>>
>>3795685
>hardware simulation
May as well call it slippery flying buttplug rape. It would be just as accurate. Seriously, you fucking fucks and your "werds mean what I say they do" bullshit.

Depending on the model the nt is either
1. A fucking famicom
2. A clone

In the second case you can call it hardware emulation if you want to prove you're a fedora tipping sperglord.
Or you can call it hardware simulation if you want to prove you're a retarded fuck.
Your call sport.
>>
>>3796060
lol dude
might be time for a vacation
>>
>>3795694
>FPGAs are real hardware.
yes, and in this case they are simulating another hardware platform.

sounds like hardware simulation to me.
p.s. have you taken your heart medication today?
>>
File: you keep using that word.png (181KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
you keep using that word.png
181KB, 400x345px
>>3798067
>simulation
>>
>>3794267

It's also worth noting that this thing is incapable of doing a lot of things true emulator boxes do, further proving anon wrong--

it can't save state
it can't screenshot
it can't backup saves
it can't record gameplay

And it can't do anything without a cartridge inserted. Remove the cartridge during play and it freaks out the same as an NES. It doesn't play dirty carts, the same as an NES. As clone hardware it's pretty neat, but as an emulator it's garbage.
>>
>>3794262
what the hell are you talking about
>>
>>3795321
For $500 I can build a decent ITX emulation rig that can run far more than that under-powered pile of junk.

If it's not even using real hardware anymore, the Anal Log NT has no reason to exist.
>>
>>3798568
Like I said, it's still absolutely not worth the price to me and not something I'm interested in myself, just that it does have something over it's competition. Not enough to warrant a $300-400 price gap by any means.
>>
>>3793087
They were indeed, some even used actual Famicom PPUs/CPUs
>>3792996
The vast majority of modern (and vintage) clones aren't emulators, they're System On a Chip hardware clones.
>>
>>3794956
>seriously why are so many people wrong on the internet

It is purposeful because too many people think baiting/trolling is funny.
>>
>>3799170
>being wrong about thinking they're baiting/trolling
funny
>>
Why not,
Crazy idea, I know
Just buy a real fucking NES for $60
>>
>>3798445
>it can't save state
>it can't backup saves

Not yet. They said they're gonna put those in a firmware update.
>>
>>3798568
Still going to be emulation though
>>
>>3798836
Quality upscalers cost a shit ton, just look at the Framemeister. Even if the AVS outputs 720, it's going to be upscaled to 1080 on most TVs, introducing lag.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.