[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm sure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 0-49123052352.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0-49123052352.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
So I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm sure this topic comes up often on the board but did /vr/ games have something that modern games don't?

I play both modern and /vr/ games and the latter always gives me the feeling of comfy and really getting into a game while the former usually I just feel like I'm going through the motions. The only exceptions being dark souls, furi, and shovel knight, all are some of my favorite neo games.

But I also notice a lot of people on this board enjoyed those too, shovel knight being a bit more obvious but what did they do differently that other games don't... why did those games "bring me back" in a sense when so many others just don't do anything.

Sure it's all subjective but I feel like I'm on to something.. I dunno, can anyone here relate? Maybe I'm just getting old...
>>
>>3788646
Retro games required imagination, often pushed hardware limits and in the eyes of a teen/child were amazing.
Do we have rose tinted glasses? Maybe.
Do retro games invoke nostalgia? Definitely.
>>
>>3788651
>Retro games required imagination

That's what I dislike in the big modern games. They're wrapping a whole detailed, mind-numbing world around you that leaves no place to imagination (because everything has been imagined for you, and is forced through your eyeballs).

I prefer modest games with more fantasy and more simplicity. They let me fill the blank by myself.
>>
>>3788651
>>3788659

Yea that might be a big factor, not everything is laid out for you in some 5minute cut-scene during the beginning of the game and you get to work with what you have.

I also kinda feel games now-a-days kind of have this feel that they need to be "rushed through" its 2017 and everyone's busy while /vr/ games always felt more relaxed and you could take your time, you might die 5,10,15 times but you'll get through that part eventually.

Not thinking too deeply into it but older games would teach perseverance and problem solving rather then just laying the solution out in front of you or letting you skip if you don't get it the first couple tries... I've noticed my niece totally gives up on any of my games if she dies more than three times and then usually goes on a tantrum...
>>
Well, one thing you can give retro games is that there was a lot more diversity, in general. Modern games have pretty much solidified the mechanics of genres and different games in the same genre are differentiated only be "art style" and maybe some gimmicks. There was a lot of experimentation in retro games and stuff you just don't see in modern games. Experimentation doesn't necessarily mean "good", but there was a lot of diversity.

That's not to say clones didn't exist on retro consoles, of course. There's dozens of Dragon Quest clones on the Famicom.
>>
>>3788646
>did /vr/ games have something that modern games don't?
Yes, a secret cocaine compartment in each cartridge. Only us really good gamers know that secret.
>>
File: winners.jpg (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
winners.jpg
11KB, 320x240px
>>3788694
B-but I thought winners didn't use drugs
>>
File: Console Graphics.jpg (58KB, 507x723px) Image search: [Google]
Console Graphics.jpg
58KB, 507x723px
>>3788646
I suppose one thing is that when you get the game on release it's considered "complete" right then and there. No need for DLC, pre-order bonuses, microtransactions, day one patches, full hard drive installations, and so on. You pop Mario 3 into the control deck, hit the power switch and bam, ready to play through that whole bitch right off the bat.
Retro PC bros on here are probably losing their goats since there's a sizable chunk of their games that had installs, patches, xpaks, etc. but the thing is that nearly all of them offered such things optionally and much later after the release. It's not like nowadays where developers pre-plan additional content post-release by cutting content out of the base game to resell it to you separately, back then they actually added shit to the game way after the fact that it became a huge success.
Things change over time, though. The vidya market is a very different place compared to the old days, games have become more disposable and the people making them are focusing more on the marketing of their products or how good the promotional material for it looks than the actual end-user experience.
>>
Also games are not spoiled as much as they where then, and most things traveled through word of mouth or you actually had to read it. When someone was stuck at something you had to figure it out or ask for help instead of looking up a youtube video or watching a play-through.

It seems like games get announced, they show a trailer which shows a lot of it, then a gameplay trailer, then gameplay footage from closed beta and beta comes out and by the time people play it they've already seen 90% of the game then complain it didnt surprise them
>>
>>3788646

I think the limitations of the hardware encouraged innovation and creativity.

For example, the Playstation's low draw distance: using fog to set the atmosphere for one of the most iconic survival horror series of all time.
>>
>>3789415
This. Modern games suffer from the sameness that comes from ample processing power and storage space to hold entire "engines" in addition to the game itself. Successful retro games required careful consideration of every element, all the way down to the conservation of every byte during the 2nd and even 3rd gen.
>>
>>3788646
release dates
>>
>>3789428

HA!

Yup, still waiting for Starfox 2
>>
>>3788646
>So I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm sure this topic comes up often on the board but did /vr/ games have something that modern games don't?
Yeah, gameplay.
>>
>>3788646

Everything that has been released since 2006 has been some variation of a shooter/open world/LGBT simulator
>>
Realism honestly doesn't make for a very compelling game play experience a lot of the time. It's why open world games are boring. The outside world is boring, why simulate it?
>>
>>3789472

>Playing a genderqueer buttpirate lizard king in space

This is my dream
>>
1 word: teams.
Retro games were made with small teams, often just 1 of each department so it was tightly designed around a small number of people's best ideas.
Modern games are made with massive teams all arguing to get their suggestion into the build. This results in watering down and generalising.
>>
No more catchy tunes.
It's insane, you got games with huges budgets and systems that allow you to do anything ('cause no lousy chipsets) but fuck that, let's add some bland ambiant so it will sound like a real movie.
>>
>>3789597
This desu. It's like total liberty has to dissolve into a shapeless mess of unfocused music.
>>
I miss the whole "press start to play" thing.

You could pop a game in. Turn the console on and be playing something in seconds.

Now you have to turn your console on, sometimes log in to your account, wait for the menus to load, pick a game, wait for it to load, go through a dozen logos, go trough an opening cutscene (sometimes unskipable) go through a tutorial (sometimes unskipable).

And then, maybe, you can start playing.

What i´m saying is fuck Hideo Kojima.
>>
>>3789415
I think this is ultimately what it boils down to. There isn't a lack of creativity in 2017, there is a lack of limitations that force you to cultivate that creativity.
>>
retro games respect the player enough to fail them for poor performance.
>>
>>3788646
Modern games in various genres have adopted a bunch of bad habits that add up to a worse experience. E.g., in so many games, there's a noticeable delay between moving the stick and having your character start/stop moving, in the name of "realism". It increases the distance between you and the game and makes it feel worse, I think.
>>
>>3790047

death stranding will be the greatest video game of all time
>>
>>3788646
>did /vr/ games have something that modern games don't?
difficulty
balanced game play
cater to a niche market instead of trying to please every potential consumer
creation and curation by gamers instead of suits
novelty
differences between eachother
>>
>It's a "/vr/ thinks all modern games are COD" episode again.
>>
>>3790684
nice projection
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.