[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this wiki any good? Do you guys maintain the retro sectio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: Wiki-wordmark.png (21KB, 250x65px) Image search: [Google]
Wiki-wordmark.png
21KB, 250x65px
Is this wiki any good? Do you guys maintain the retro sections at all?

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki//v/%27s_Recommended_Games_Wiki
>>
>>3786978
For the millionth time, no. No section of the wiki is good.
Back in like 2011 it was fine but then reddit (literally) found it and a bunch of kids just started putting any piece of shit game that they enjoyed on there- what was supposed to be essentials for each console became "any game above 5/10" and thus every console is awash with licensed games that were no more than mediocre.
>>
No, the lists are far too bloated with more than 5 games of the same genre for the same console and there is no way to fix it.
>>
>>3786981
>>3786982
So it does have all the essentials, and isn't missing anything? I don't mind wading through some bloat as long as it's the best point of reference for someone trying to get into a new retro console they have no idea about.
>>
>>3786987
Try 96% bloat.
I hope you have a discerning eye and plenty of spare time.
>>
>>3786978
Taken over by reddit. Last time I've been there they had Daikatana listed as a recommended PC game.
>>
>>3786998
>>3786987
>>3786982
>>3786981
>>3787017
It's better to look up games and/or try them yourself, a wiki like this only helps for PC games because it isn't always so easy to find information about certain games
>>
How I see it the point of the wiki is that you go through the list, check the game titles/descriptions/cover/screenshots, and see if there is anything that you may enjoy.

The point surely isn't to make a list of >your taste because Anon's taste is different from Anon's taste.

and I don't think the point is either to be reduced to "5 games per genre" (whatever that would mean anyway considering /vr/ view on genres and the fact that genres are often mixed creating subgenres), because then it would be pointless and you could just google whatever other recommended games list you can find if all you want to see is Super Mario, Metroid and Doom.

>>3786978
>Is this wiki any good? Do you guys maintain the retro sections at all?

I added a lot of stuff in the NES sections a few years ago, before /vr/ existed, but I haven't logged in since. There are some unknown Famicom games I've discovered since but I honestly couldn't be bothered.
>>
They're a bit bloated, but that almost assures you're at least not missing anything truly worth playing. As long as you think about them as "every game worth your time is here" instead of "essentials list". And I do prefer it like that, essentials are well known most of the time, no need to have ANOTHER list of essentials.
>>
What do you guys think are good lists? Maybe it'll help me sort out my priorities.
>>
It's bloated but who cares? As long as the descriptions aren't half-assed you should get a feel for what each game is, how it scored and whether you'd like it as you're skimming down the list. For that purpose it's fine.
>>
I think it's fine. As >>3787239 said, pretty much any game worth your time is there. Does this make for a bloated list? Sure. But it also makes sure you have all your possible bases covered.
>>
>>3787463
It's missing many of the best games like Quest 64.
>>
>>3786981
I still use it, but to put it bluntly, it's pretty bloated. It probably needs to be adjusted to a tiering system.

I actually have the reverse problem after using it so long, there's not enough games mentioned on it in the genres I like, so it's not really useful to me anymore. I've played through just about everything listed there.
>>
>>3787113
I think we should just scrap the wiki entirely and make a new one that simply catelogs every game available for a system and includes searchable tools to narrow down what you're looking for. So many times I've wanted to search for "All JRPG games" or "All games made by Westwood" on a specific platform but no site or function really exists.

This way, we can look for games in the genre we want, on the system we want, and start reading through a synopsis and detailed account of each that might interest us.
>>
Anyone wanna help me prune it?

I'm gonna start with N64
>>
People blame Reddit, but the shittiness was inevitable. The site has no quality control.
>>
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Games_Made_by_/V/irgins

>all that shilling
>no notable games besides Katawa Shoujo
>>
>>3787675
>It probably needs to be adjusted to a tiering system.
I really like this idea, but I think it would require way too much input to actually pull off.

>>3787684
Same, lots of times I just want to play a specific genre but I can't really search for it on the wiki.
>>
>>3787684
So basically, you just want to remake mobygames.
>>
>>3787490
>best games
>Quest 64
>>
I kinda like how it is in a way. Some people play games for the story/experience, so won't care about Tetris. Others just want to have fun or go for mastery, and would probably enjoy Tetris quite a lot. So, the wiki accounts for both.
>>
It essentially boils down to
>every 1st and 2nd party game
>every game with Star Wars
>every game with "my favorite anime"
>every game with comic book licenses
>every game that involved Hideo Kojima somehow
For every given system
>>
>>3787847
Well memed.
>>
>>3787017
>Daikatana

This like it or not, classifies as a cult game and despite its technical defects, its an ambitious game content-wise for the time and I'd rather play it over 70% of modern FPS games.
>>
>>3787871
This is right. And exactly the reason we need tiers and categories.
>>
>>3787871
Daikatana for PC and N64 is a horrible game. The GBC version is a bit better but still not worth the time.
>>
>>3787889
>GBC version

Nice meme.
>>
>>3787871
Go back to bed Romero.
>>
>>3787896
GBC version is actually great
>>
>>3786978
Fuck the haters, it's good.
People forget the fact that it's just for recommendations and not a comprehensive list with only good games and should be used as a guideline for titles you may want to give a shot plus it doesn't hurt that 90% (pre-7th gen) of the games on there were actually picked by /v/ and circulated in various picture guides.
>>
File: NHL_'94_Cover.jpg (20KB, 264x377px) Image search: [Google]
NHL_'94_Cover.jpg
20KB, 264x377px
>every game worth your time is here

This isn't really true at all. For example if you happen to like sports games, you won't find any there.
>>
>>3786978
There are plenty of good games on there. Some system pages are rubbish though, like the x68k page and the c64/amiga pages.
>>
>>3787684
>I think we should just scrap the wiki entirely and make a new one that simply catelogs every game available for a system and includes searchable tools to narrow down what you're looking for. So many times I've wanted to search for "All JRPG games" or "All games made by Westwood" on a specific platform but no site or function really exists.

Mobygames?
>>
>>3788554
Just make a new page about sports games with categories for each sport.
>>
>>3788968
http://www.gamefaqs.com/search?game=
>>
File: 1485807792479.png (113KB, 208x232px) Image search: [Google]
1485807792479.png
113KB, 208x232px
>>3787871
>>3787889
>>3787905
>play daikatana with two friends over netplay
>it's actually fun despite all the anti-hype
>>
>>3787684
>but no site or function really exists.
There are multiple sites that have done that for decades.
>>
>>3786987
>>3787239
>>3787463
nope. >>3788554 is right, and it's missing notable games in highly-covered genres, so it's not just a problem with sports games.

no wipeout xl; both it and 3 should be there, but at least xl should be noted in 3's description. no armored core master of arena (pp is there but not moa; the fuck?). suikoden 2 is there, but there's no mention of the patches, most notably the one that restores music on the ntsc-u release. bishi bashi had a pal release but it's only listed under ntsc-j.

i can understand leaving out quirky, unique-but-flawed, and lesser-known games like incredible crisis, echo night, brahma force, and umihara kawase. but if you're going leave out those, then you can't include shit like tail of the sun or final fantasy mystic quest. and you definitely can't miss any really good, big-name games or omit critical information about them.

it's a mess. it should only be used in conjunction with other resources because it misses way too much and has too much crap. frankly, i think it's superfluous.

>>3787684
try gamefaqs. like mobygames, you can click on a dev or publisher and a list of works by them. you can also get a list of games in a given genre by platform (sorted alpha or by user rating), and you can get an overall ranked list of games by platform. user ratings can be shit at times (ex: alien resurrection is panned largely because it uses dual-analog controls), but overall they're good enough for the rankings to be useful.

ps1 examples, just choose a genre:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/games/rankings?platform=78&genre=0&list_type=rate&view_type=0&dlc=1&min_votes=2 (raise min votes to cull out jp-only titles, although you'll miss a few good jp-only games and some good western releases)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/category/999-all
>>
>>3790006
meant to say umihara kawase shun, so i goofed that, and now i see it's under ds as the enhanced port. it still ought to be noted in the ps1 list, but i was wrong in saying it was omitted.
>>
>>3790006
Well of course it's missing a lot of extras, the wiki isn't probably updated at all past the current gen
Hell I wouldn't expect any changes to have been done for a year or two for a lot of the older gens
>>
>>3788968

imo, mobygames would be perfect, IF they allowed you to exclude games with no English translation.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>>3790052
what?

it's missing essentials, not just "extras".

>>3790058
can you sort by rating? i can't figure out how.

that's the main reason i use gamefaqs.
>>
>>3790130

I don't think you can sort by rating, which means gamefaqs might still be the best option right now.
>>
Maybe it's worth creating a new one and trying an improved one strictly for /vr/? Might get some redditors tampering with it, but at least the neo-/v/irgins won't be very interested.

If I created one and posted the link, would people contribute?
>>
>>3787684
>we should just scrap the wiki entirely
this would've been feasible if the wiki was actually still run by /v/irgins and not redditfags using the name as a brand to push their own shit.
>>
>>3790908
No one will ever be happy about a list.

At the end of the day, you need to either step up and do it yourself, or stop caring that
>le reddit
"took over"

I've been on 4chan for like 10 years. I don't get reddit, and I have no idea how to navigate it. The fact is, I disagree with a shitload of people on 4chan. /vr/ isn't one person.

Besides,y ou probably know what would be the first things on a new wiki.

Earthbound, Super Metroid, Super Mario world. At which point, whats even the point of going on?
>>
>>3790006
>suikoden 2 is there
Unfortunately.
>>
>>3790006
You know you can edit the wiki right? That's the whole point of a wiki. Everything you're pointing out could be solved, by you.
I also don't think adding all those would be wise, we were complaining about bloat... Just make new pages for specific recommendations racers (maybe in the futuristic category), or "Armored Core series", etc. I mean, Are those actually worth playing for someone who hasn't touched the series? You have to take that into accout when adding something like that IMO.
>>
>>3788540
>picture guides
Yeah these are great actually, if you want the essentials. I've got all of them saved.
>>
that wiki says that the random encounter system of zelda 2 is lame. wtf, it's one of the best random encounter systems I've seen
>>
>>3791238
How does it work?
>>
>>3791256
when you're on the overworld, enemy sprites appear at regular intervals and run around. if you bump into one, you get into an encounter. the sprites represent regular monsters, stronger monsters, and (on occasion) a fairy to heal you. they only appear when you travel off of roads. by setting how far away they spawn, and how frequently, the game can control how intense a given area should be. different tiles (forest, swamp, etc.) lead to different types of encounters.

with this system, you'll inevitably get into random encounters when you wander around, but there's a sense of having some degree of prediction and control over what encounters happen to you -- much more so than the usual system, which is sudden screen changes at certain intervals.
>>
Just cross-reference. Search games that look interesting and see what other sites have to say about them.
>>
>>3791270
That's not too bad, but still shit in a Zelda game.
>>
>>3791116
you seem to be implying that i'm bitching without offering an alternative. i gave an alternative. use gamefaqs (or mobygames) and try whatever interests you.

and of course you can lurk /vr/ for the occassional game that you missed and check pastebins in general threads in /vr/ and /vg/. and, as another anon mentioned, there are the recommendation images. they aren't perfect, but they're concise and sorted by category. and the ones made by /vr/ are quite good.

a better solution exists, so i'm not going to spend the time and effort to fix a problem that doesn't need fixing. especially when it's irreparable, as actually making it good would involve deleting a ton of stuff that would never stay deleted. but you'd have to fight that unwinnable war before just adding what should be there because, like you said, would largely be considered contributing to bloat and subject to deletion itself.

if you want to try, go for it. just don't recommend it over the other options until it's as good as them.
>>
>>3786978
I used it for the Dragon Quest page, back when I started playing the series for the first time. Very useful.

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest

Not sure about the rest of the wiki, though.
>>
>>3791450
Zelda 2 was set up differently from the others. it's the black sheep, like smb2 and castlevania 2.

I don't think it's shit personally but you're welcome to disagree.
>>
The site is still viable as a tool and a sort of interesting look trough to see what a console generally has to offer. It's porbably very rarely the case that you really don't have anything to play and need to look trough tons of libraries to find something.

Seriously anyone here should have outgrown the period where we search for games to play. Anyone here should know exactly what they want. It's just often if you concentrate you can't find anything because you're scanning a very limited area of the brain, but when you don't think about it your brain randomly gives you great video game recommendations that you often forget since you don't write them down.
>>
>>3791558
It's a great game.
>>
File: 1377890351478.gif (333KB, 289x149px) Image search: [Google]
1377890351478.gif
333KB, 289x149px
>>3790006
I've used gamefaqs, but
>Mobygames

How did I never know about this?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.