[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a Saturn. Never even played one before in my life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: tmp_24980-images(6)1045842017.jpg (3KB, 200x110px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24980-images(6)1045842017.jpg
3KB, 200x110px
I just bought a Saturn. Never even played one before in my life because everyone I knew including myself was playing ps1 or n64 back then.

What are the essential games for it? Especially shmups, I bought it because I heard it's even better than the dreamcast in the shmup department
>>
It is better than the dreamcast for pretty much everything. As far as essentials go:

Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Panzer Dragoon Saga are rightfully considered timeless games. Challenging, high energy, and beautiful. The third game is an RPG but the first two will suck you into the universe that you'll be eager for a game like that.

Guardian Heroes is an awesome brawler style game with tons of characters who you level up and improve stats bit by bit, control an undead knight and send him on rampages against the enemies who you fight in 3 different fields on a stage. Very fun game, I always tell people to try doing fighting game style inputs and when they notice how they work, they fall in love with the game.

The first game I played for my Saturn (apart from Mega Man X4) was Cotton 2 and its sequel, Cotton Boomerang. They are both amazing STGs and they're a lot of fun with great music and a very unique game play mechanic called grab. You can grab just about everything, enemies, projectiles, and upgrades and they all give different results when you throw them at enemies. Boomerang is a flat out improvement and makes the grab a punch and a grab, so when enemies are shooting waves of danmaku at you, you're given the option to go full kenshiro and punch your way through waves and waves of bullets and also punch the shit out of enemies. The grab really sells the game once you realize you can grab entire bosses, their weapons, throw them back at them, it's a wonderful mechanic.

Also check out Assault Suit Leynos 2, I just started this one but man it's really something else. It has these cool rotational sprite graphics and you pilot a mech suit which you zoom around these battle fields with jets and take on massive robots and enemy tanks and helicopters and mechs. It's a real killer game.
>>
File: 1485809590809.jpg (35KB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
1485809590809.jpg
35KB, 290x260px
>>3784061
>It is better than the dreamcast for pretty much everything
>>
>>3784061
Very solid list. I would like to add this though:

Before you buy any game do yourself a favor and buy an Action Replay. Flash it with Pseudo Saturn and enjoy all the NA and JPN releases without breaking the bank!
>>
>>3784064
Definitely. I don't buy retro games. Any system I'm buying for the first time I either get a flashcart for or mod it however I need to to play burned games.
>>
>>3784073
pseudo saturn's compatibility isn't perfect, and you want the fork called pseudo saturn kai for the best results. Do you have a model 1 (oval buttons) or a model 2 (round buttons) system? Model 1's have the highest compatibility with PSKai because it allows you to select two different compatibility modes.

Oh and if you've got a second controller grab a friend and play twinkle star sprites. It's a VS shooter/puzzle game where you try to destroy your opponent by overwhelming them with attacks and counter-attacks, you won't find a more fun competitive game around.
>>
>>3784080
I'm not sure yet, I don't know the hardware that we'll and it's not actually in my possession because I bought it off of eBay a few days ago.

Twinklestar Sprites is awesome, I have it on Dreamcast
>>
>>3784101
Yeah, but the saturn version is better
>>
>>3784061
I've never played a cotton game. Is the grab mechanic similar to triggerheart exelica or something?
>>
>>3785075
I don't know. The way it works is you can grab enemies, boss limbs, use grabs for a critical strike against minibosses, grab projectiles, and power ups. The most interesting thing to grab is the power up crystals, either light/red/green/blue crystals (yellow doesn't do anything interesting offensive) From there, you throw the crystal at an enemy and they are encapsulated in a bubble of that element, and each bubble behaves differently. You chain shots on these bubbles and rack up high hit combos and the higher the combo, the more points and you also grow larger and larger life recoveries from these. They also act as a defensive shield and any enemy who makes contact with them dies. Shooting bubbles makes them react in different ways depending on their element. Fire rises when shot, green attracts to the player when shot, etc. You can also pick up and grab these bubbles, it becomes the central way of dealing with hordes of enemies and downplays the actual shooting part of the shooting game.

It's a high reward mechanic that encourages intelligent management of your power ups and the enemies. While the bubble is being tended to, you get no additional power up drops and the game reaches its peak intensity.

It helps the music is really good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMve9x9dJ30
>>
Are Saturn prices just a meme at this point? I know PDS is pricey because of its low run and all but why do games like Guardian Heroes cost over $100, and why does Burning Rangers cost as much as PDS?
>>
>>3785398
Pretty much any game older then PS2 have meme prices.
That's why you either buy jap versions or just pirate/emulate games in some way.
>>
>>3784061
Yeah, except for arcade ports and non-shit 3D.
>>
File: 1485388727488.jpg (185KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485388727488.jpg
185KB, 600x600px
>>3784061
>It is better than the dreamcast for pretty much everything.
>>
>>3785463
I know retro is expensive but Saturn is just another level of jewery.
I'm gonna flash my AR for Pseudo Saturn next weekend.
>>
>>3785398
Just ignore the US prices. There you go, all the games are affordable now.
>>
>>3784050
I love saturn. I got a mod chip from racketboy for 25$ back around 2004 or 5. Then got the entire US library and most of the JAP from underground gamer. Saturn bomberman is my favorite multiplayer game. Sokyugourentai is my favorite shooter. Die hard arcade and gaurdian heroes are my favorite beat em ups. Virtua photo studio is my favorite titty game.
>>
File: Hb04oO4.png (6KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hb04oO4.png
6KB, 1024x1024px
>>3784050
woooaaah, the Sega Saturn, my very first console!

I can strongly recommend Die Hard Arcade in 2-player modus. I still remember the good times I had with my sis punching all the way up and down that tower.

Another wonderful 2-player experience is Baku Baku Animals, a tetris clone that comes in candy colours and allows you to create combo-tricks that can destroy your opponent in one move. Enraging ssomeone never felt so good.

The Panzer Dragoon games, as already mentioned, are a must have for the Saturn.

Nights into Dreams is a bit cheesy for my taste but you should give it a try since there is no comparable game out there I know.

Best racing game is probably Sega Rally (along with Daytona USA). For the time it came out it had the best physics, and even if it has only 4 tracks (!) I remember having lots of fun with them.

Then there's also a WipEout 2097 version for the Saturn. Virtual On is a well made Arcade Mech game. Waht else.... you can also check out Loaded, Swagman and if you like 2D platformers: Keio Flying Squadron 2.
>>
I recommend finding and installing a mod chip. Saturn games aren't cheap.
>>
>>3786198
You can just flash those ram carts to allow backups to be played now.
>>
>>3786198
Japanese games aren't that expensive. Most under 30 bucks.
>>
Asuka 120% is an amazing fighting game.

SOTN is a lot of fun because the character select.

I'm waiting for Dragon Force and Deep Fear in the mail, but I've heard good things.
>>
>>3784050

So...You bought the system without looking up games you want to play? Go fuck yourself.

Also, this thread again?
>>
>>3786315
Maybe he found a good deal or someone gave one to him?

I don't see the big deal. If he wants to waste his money anyway I don't see how it is your concern.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.