[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you consider the PC Engine/TruborGrafx 16 a 3rd gen system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

File: PC_Engine.jpg (7KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
PC_Engine.jpg
7KB, 245x184px
Do you consider the PC Engine/TruborGrafx 16 a 3rd gen system or a 4th gen system?
>>
>>3781354
It was dank as fuck that's all which matters
>>
>>3781354
3.5 gen.
>>
I consider it the first generation of NEC's home consoles.
>>
>>3781354
4th Gen.
>>
It was the console that kicked off the 4th gen by forcing Nintendo to upgrade or die. Might very well have even been point at which the concept of "console generations" began
>>
File: red_fireball_pce.gif (19KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
red_fireball_pce.gif
19KB, 256x224px
>>3781354
Obviously 4th gen.

>about as powerful as the Mega Drive and the SNES
>even by 1995 it still was a viable platform (in Japan, at least)
>>
>>3781354
Why wouldn't it be 4th gen when it is supposed to match up better with Genesis and SNES? They blundered with a two button only controller though. It limited them on the kind of games they could do.
>>
>>3782126
which is why the 3- and later 6-button controllers came out. not ideal, but at least the option exists
>>
>>3782126
>>3782304
Technically the PC Engine has as many buttons as the Genesis and the original NES. Select and Run are as valid buttons as any of the action buttons. Many games that required a third action button (such as Bloody Wolf and Shinobi) simply just used Select or Run for the required function. In fact, the third button on the Avenue Pad 3 simply duplicates whatever function Select or Run has.

The lack of an additional action buttons was really only an issue on the Famicom, since Player 2's controller on the original model lacked the Select and Start buttons. Hence why Player 2's controller had no pause function on most games.

It wasn't until Street Fighter II that joypads started requiring at least six buttons.
>>
Why not, in some case it even had superior counterparts to the SNES/MD
>>
256 onscreen colors put it ahead of Genesis in a very important area of 16 bit visuals. That alone, for me, settles the question.
>>
File: 130488350822.png (44KB, 238x177px) Image search: [Google]
130488350822.png
44KB, 238x177px
Friendly neighborhood reminder that no one ever numbered any generations until the mid 2000s. And even then the numbers only cover console marketing campaigns and don't describe computers, arcade machines, or handhelds which are all a huge part of gaming history.
>>
File: 2nd_gen_consoles_classification.png (3MB, 3700x4003px) Image search: [Google]
2nd_gen_consoles_classification.png
3MB, 3700x4003px
>>3782364
>Friendly neighborhood reminder that no one ever numbered any generations until the mid 2000s.
Wikipedia were the ones who started this shit since their editors were gullible enough to buy into the bits meme that was propagated throughout the 90s by console manufacturers.

Instead of admitting they fucked up and just classify things by their launch date or decade, the Wikipedians choose an asinine categorization method to arbitrarily shoehorn different consoles that were mere often than not released years apart. And then they betray their lack of interest on pre-NES consoles by classifying everything that wasn't a Pong machine into the 2nd gen category.
>>
>>3782364
>>3782675
That's why generation (like 3rd 4th) is a better way to categorize them.
>>
File: 1484585903143.png (398KB, 950x972px) Image search: [Google]
1484585903143.png
398KB, 950x972px
>>3782691
Generation numbering doesn't really make much sense until the Xbox, since they and PlayStation tend to release their consoles really closely and with very similar specs, while Nintendo went on to do their own thing with their blue ocean strategy.

It kinda fascinates me how Nintendo diehards think that the Wii outselling the 360 and PS3 means anything when half of the userbase consisted of elderly people who only used the thing as a Wii Sports box and never bothered playing anything else.
>>
>>3782765
>It kinda fascinates me how Nintendo diehards think that the Wii outselling the 360 and PS3 means anything

It fascinates me more how HD Twin diehards try to change the generational winner rules (always based on most sales) because the Wii won.
>>
>>3782794
Hardware sales don't really matter that much when half of the userbase never bought more than a few games for the platform, since software is where the real money is made. The Wii had the highest hardware sales, but the worst attach rate out of the so-called 7th gen consoles.

I will give Wii U owners credit for buying almost everything that came out for that console. The Wii U could've done well had it came out earlier and didn't have a tablet gimmick.
>>
File: eye.jpg (37KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
eye.jpg
37KB, 350x233px
>>3782765
>NES wins thanks to global sales
>SNES wins thanks to global sales
>Playstation wins thanks to global sales
>Playstation 2 wins thanks to global sales
>N-no, guise. Th-the Nintendo Wii didn't win becoz muh hardware and stuff!
Ridiculous. And this is coming from someone that doesn't even like the Wii.
>>
File: tie-ratio.jpg (86KB, 651x411px) Image search: [Google]
tie-ratio.jpg
86KB, 651x411px
>>3782823
>when half of the userbase never bought more than a few games for the platform
You really need to stop getting your facts from spicy memes.

>but the worst attach rate out of the so-called 7th gen consoles
True strictly speaking but highly misleading as the attach rate wasn't much worse (also not to mention the Wii had a shorter market lifespan).
>>
File: what's in this box.png (259KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
what's in this box.png
259KB, 600x480px
>>3782765
>that nasty void
Begone, Exadeath!
>>
>>3782824
Every other console that won due to global sales actually had a game library to justify it. The Wii sold as a novelty, straight up senior citizens who just played Wii Sports. And another thing is that all those other consoles had contemporary horsepower. They shared multiplats with their competitors. The Wii was so far behind, that that wasn't always possible. It's a good /vr/ console, but its exclusives are really fucking lame compared to the Cube.
>>
>>3782340
>It wasn't until Street Fighter II that joypads started requiring at least six buttons.
Wolfenstein 3d, smash TV, bart vs the space mutants, eye or the beholder, contra 3, super metroid...
>>
>>3781632
>Might very well have even been point at which the concept of "console generations" began

The Colecovision was advertised as being next-generation compared to the 2600 and Intellivision. The games can actually compete with first wave Famicom games.
>>
>>3782765
>An illustration of why console gaming is dead
>>
>>3784245
>And another thing is that all those other consoles had contemporary horsepower.
SNES and Genesis didn't have contemporary horsepower compared to Neo-Geo.
>>
>>3784449
Neo Geo is more far fetched than PCs in that modern scenario.
>>
>>3782364
More like early 2000's starting with the PS2
>>
File: napd1002padfront.jpg (31KB, 602x291px) Image search: [Google]
napd1002padfront.jpg
31KB, 602x291px
>>3784265
>Wolfenstein 3d, smash TV, bart vs the space mutants, eye or the beholder, contra 3, super metroid...
None of those games caused Sega and NEC to make 6-button controllers for their consoles. Contra III and Super Metroid weren't even released outside the Super NES, while Smash TV, Bart's Nightmare and Eye of the Beholder on Genesis all got different control schemes to compensate for the fewer action buttons.

It was with the 1993 console ports of Champion Edition on PC Engine and Genesis that we got the Avenue Pad 6 and Fighting Pad 6B respectively for those platforms. I doubt Sega and NEC would've been pressured to add more buttons to their controllers if Street Fighter wasn't the big phenomenon it was.
>>
>>3784349
It gets even weirder when you consider that a modified colecovision could play Night Trap of all games.
>>
>>3784521
Sega suffered a shitty, damaged port of smash TV, without even the option to use a multitap to get proper controls for it.

Contra III and Super Metroid would have been impossible with 3rd generation controls.

Bart vs. **the space mutants** suffered from inadequate controls, it wouldn't have been as much of a fuckup with 3 buttons plus start and select. And I'm not talking three buttons side by side and the mode buttons in the center, more effectively bunched than that (or one trigger).

Eye of the Beholder was rather lousy without the mouse or 6 button pad.
>>
>>3785957
>with 3 buttons plus start and select
That would be 4 or 5 buttons across the board, among many consoles, so that they couldn't have gotten badly influenced from something like the master system.
>>
File: Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set[1].jpg (2MB, 3780x2280px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set[1].jpg
2MB, 3780x2280px
>>3784349
>Colecovision games can actually compete with first wave Famicom games.
Sega thought so
>>
>>3784245
>>3784245
True I only play wii sports or emulate!

I'm no senior citizen tho!
>>
>>3786023
Well, it did have nicer versions of Elevator Action and Choplifter.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.