[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Not refurbishing/repairing trashed or broken retro stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

> Not refurbishing/repairing trashed or broken retro stuff
> Not helping to increase lifespans of retro vidya
> Not helping to keep the supply of retro vidya up
> Not learning a few useful skills
> Not doubling your money on the refurbished stuff

Well faggots, what is your excuse?
>>
just emulate lol
>>
I have no fucking obligation to "help" the "retro community". There's no reason to play shit on inferior hardware except MUH NOSTALGIA.
>>
>>3781258
Why anyone would willingly use a Gameboy today is beyond me. Emulate the games on a better portable.
>>
>>3781919
I for one would advocate playing it on a GBA
>>
Can you get new LCDs for the Gameboy? Preferably identical to stock.
>>
>>3781258
I bought a brick GB the other day for $5 and it's in pretty sweet condition, clean and crispy.
I have an older one that might have been mine from way earlier than needs the faceplate re attaching because it keeps coming loose, slightly yellowing.

my local reseller scumbag is charging $50 for a brick that is a similar colour to mine that needs fixing.

So should I 'help my community' by charging $45 for it once it's fixed?
>>
>>3781258
Not all of us possess the trade skills to do this for one. Soldering takes practice, you can't learn electrical in a day, and painting/coating requires a trained hand. Also you need all of the repair equipment, good tools ain't cheap.
>>
>>3781919

I guess for lsdj shit, but I agree with you
>>
>>3781919
Super Game Boy all the way nigga!
>>
>>3782549
>good tools ain't cheap.

$5 for solder
$5 for a 20w fixed Soldering Iron
Both of those come included with a $15 practice kit.

The only real expense is the time you spend practicing.

There's enough $5 kits for you to get good for under $50.
>>
>>3782390
$45 is a good price for a refurb.
Granted you can do a good job and aren't leaving blobs of solder everywhere.
>>
Not >>3782549, but any links to these kits?
>>3785247

Also where do you learn how to problem solve issues on the Nintendo boards? I've never tried this shit and have zero expierence but always wanted to try. Any book recommendations or websites about reviving retro consoles?
>>
>>3785341
Also any recommendations on what is easier to start out on and move up on? Gameboys, snes, nes, genesis?
>>
File: 20170109_200839_Burst01-1.jpg (742KB, 3233x1547px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_200839_Burst01-1.jpg
742KB, 3233x1547px
So long as I have at least one working unit in good condition, I don't care what happens to the rest.
>>
>>3785341
Practice kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009Z3JJA
For other kits just search Elenco.

The only problem that GBs get is vertical lines, which is a fairly easy fix. (Although I would get a good feel for soldering before trying to fix the vertical lines.)
Horizontal lines can be fixed, but you need a SMD oven, which is rather expensive.

Once you get good at soldering, you can do stuff like backlight+bivert.
>>
>>3781258
Do you only refurbish GBs? Or actual consoles and cartridges?
>>
where can I go to learn how to refurbish old game systems?
>>
>>3781919
For playing on a portable, I play on a modded OG GBA with the AGS-101 screen and brightness toggle mod, that glass screen and some Hi-Fi speaker mod called the GBAmp3.

If I want to play Game Boy or backwards-compatible Game Boy Color games on a big screen, I play on a Super Game Boy 2 (proper speed and link cable, only in Japan, though).

Some other Game Boy Color games (mostly exclusives) and Game Boy Advance games go on the Game Boy Player for GameCube, though. I do use the GBI-ULL homebrew boot disc as well.

I usually use my CRT but if I want to play on my LG OLED 4K TV, I use a Framemeister.

GameCube goes direct to the TV unless I want it to fill my screen, when it happens, I use my Framemeister.

I still play on my CRT since it looks better to my eyes, though.
>>
I have a 6 figure job that keeps me occupied so I don't want to waste time fixing shit when I can play games
>>
I nearly failed my electronics class because of how bad I am at soldering.

That's the excuse. If you fuck up, you deprive the world of a non-renewable piece of technology.
>>
>>3781729
Why are you even here retard? Are you lost?
>>
>>3785976
>Do you only refurbish GBs? Or actual consoles and cartridges?

OP here.
I refurbish/repair/rrstore everything.
I just like the idea to bring something back to a nice condition and "release it back into the wild" if you get what I'm trying to say. Additionally I earn a buck or two that way, (even when I undercharge) and it is a nice hobby. Sitting there, a movie in the background, working on my stuff. Makes for a nice quiet evening.
>>
>>3781919
I honestly don't understand why people play games on the original game boy when every alternative from the pocket to the advanced is superior to the original in every way.
>>
>>3786386
Playing and enjoying retro games != Paying for old consoles.
>>
>>3786157
>where can I go to learn how to refurbish old game systems?

None of the skills are exactly secrets, look at youtube videos, google for how-to's, etc.
It is a lot easier than people think, the majority of issues are dirt & grime, broken solder joints (95% of the time in the same handful of locations) or broken components that are easy to replace.

Get a 3.8 and 4.5 Gamebit, a Philips and a Triwing-Screwdriver, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and contact spray and start with basic maintenace.

After a few successes, get a soldering iron (something like pic related isn't too expensive) and learn/practice to solder.
Finally go find cheap sources of replacement parts.
>>
>>3786210
I once thought I was bad at soldering, but once I laid my hands on the right tools (a good soldering station with temperature control, a microscope and good solder alloy) I realized I was actually good at it.
>>
>>3788136
get high percent alcohol, i found some 70% for cheap but it leaves a residue, get 90% or higher
>>
>>3781258
I'll repair something if it's not going to take a lot of time or if it's a relatively rare item. Broken common cheap as fuck shit like a gameboy just get tossed in a box. I have a million better things to do with my time.
>>
I feel like I'm on the precipice of jumping into the console preservation/sutismo scene with buying cables and old peripherals and shit. Should I bother?

I kinda feel like I should just emulate shit while my consoles just sit there. I don't see a reason to delve deep in the physical department, yet I feel the need anyway.

Send help.
>>
>>3788136
You sound like you know your stuff.
I had a long, windy post asking you something, but I think this sums my question up very nicely, though I dislike the phrase:

Would you "redpill" me on purchasing 72 pin connectors? EG: Are resellers buying them all from the same place(china?)? Are they made equal?

Please help, Anon.
>>
>>3788340
This.
Get rubbing alcohol as pure as possible (Manicure suppliers or shops are a cheap source for this)
I should have added that in the first place, thank you.

>>3788847
>I feel like I'm on the precipice of jumping into the console preservation/sutismo scene with buying cables and old peripherals and shit. Should I bother?

Depends on what you want to achieve with this.

>>3788870
>Are resellers buying them all from the same place(china?)? Are they made equal?

Generally speaking:
From China. Probably yes. At least most of them. All made equal? Doubt it. When you buy "chinkshit", in my experience at least, you can never be 100% sure about its origins within China. Some stuff is better, some is worse. You have to experiment. Either by buying from different sellers in China and gamble (with cheap stuff this is less of an issue. And AliExpress has product ratings, very often even with photos, for example) or start with a "sample" from an Ebay seller or something with good reputation and then try to trace its origin to source it cheaper.

But if you only want to fix/mod your own device I'd say it is easier to just get it from somewhere more convenient and less headache inducing. And it will be faster, too.

For pin connectors:
Go the second route, preferably some place with product ratings. Some of them seem to hold the cartridges too tight.

A third way to go are Japanese eBay sellers, especially for replacement parts. I never had an issue with stuff I bought from Japan, even when it's obviously from China originally. It's basically a middle way: Cheaper than domestic sellers, but faster and at least somewhat safer than Chinese ones.
>>
>>3785247
I was talking stuff like painting tools for restoring cases, a decent little detailer cost $100 at the least.
>there are cheaper guns
And they suck ass, good luck getting an even unblemished coat with a cheap Chinese piece of shit.
>>
>>3789352
Thank you, Anon!
>When you buy "chinkshit"[...] and gamble[...]
I've read quite a few horror stories that make the prospect of dealing with Chinese sellers seem...arduous, to say the least. What with things like shipping a few good "samples", then dumping a load of useless junk on large orders, intentionally 'misunderstanding' you and shipping wrong orders, etc... Not that I'm looking into anything large at the moment, I really just want a nice(cheap AND reliable, hooboy) source for whenever I happen to find a nes that needs a connector.

That's a good idea about tracking one down from an ebay listing too.

Guess I need to buck up and learn how to deal with the Chinese. Thank you again man.
>>
Why do people buy battery replacements from ebay when they could get them from somewhere like digikey or mouser for $1?
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-bsg/CR-2032-F2N/P657-ND/2404062
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CR-2032-F2N-3V-Lithium-Coin-Battery-SMD-SMT-Tabs-for-CMOS-Calendar-/231966999813?hash=item36024f8505:g:nwcAAOSw9eVXUemG
>>
>>3789941
You're welcome.

But don't misunderstand my previous post. There may be quite some funky shit with the Chinese, there are also plenty of very good sellers. They basically live off their reputation (plenty of good reviews do make you more attractive for potential new customers after all), but nowhere is "buyers beware" more important than with the chinks.
But if you go with AliExpress for example you should be good.

I bought a few GB screen lenses lately and one was badly scratched, I contacted the seller and he replied really fast with an refund or new item offer, they dread bad reviews sometimes. They do have families to feed and daughters to drown, after all.

And for small batches there is always Ebay, and what I forgot to mention: You can find a lot of those AE sellers on Ebay too, just slightly more expensive sometimes.

>>3789902
You are aware that very accurate replacement shells for most devices are a thing, do you?
And if we are just talking yellowing just bleach.
Get higher concentrated professional hairdressers development cream, its basically hydrogen in creamy/foamy form and works nicely
>>
I've been meaning to learn how to do this at some point since I got into Playstation and Playstation 2 collecting. Is there a good source for parts for these consoles?
>>
>>3790167
>I've been meaning to learn how to do this at some point since I got into Playstation and Playstation 2 collecting. Is there a good source for parts for these consoles?

Aren't the parts that actually break down in these pretty much Sony of-the-shelf stuff?
>>
>>3781258
>> Not refurbishing/repairing trashed or broken retro stuff
>> Not helping to increase lifespans of retro vidya
>> Not helping to keep the supply of retro vidya up
>> Not learning a few useful skills
Nothing wrong with this

>> Not doubling your money on the refurbished stuff
Because I'm not a fucking kike
>>
>>3789902
>And they suck ass
Confirmed for never even touching paint. You can literally go to walmart and get a $20 airbrush kit for most applications. Everything else is brush work, which you can get in packs of 50 at the dollar store.
>>
>>3781258
Let them die gracefully.
Keeping useless toys for your own imagined enjoyment.
It's not for enjoyment, but a connection to the past you refuse to let go of.
>>
>>3791367
What's wrong with earning some money from a skill? You do it every day on your job.
You are not entitled to my efforts for free just because "Muh reseller scum, reeee".

(Also I sell my stuff way under current market value, ideally to someone who really appreciates it. And I still make a profit)
>>
I tried looking for SNES shells on eBay but all I got was cartridge shells, not console shells.

Does anyone know about any seller who sells the console shell? Also, is there any place where I can order labels? I might sell my old and shamefully beaten up SNES someday and I might make an extra penny of two of I turn the console and games in a state that's almost new.
>>
>>3793760
I've seen console shells on ali. Might check there. What kind of labels are you looking for? Preprinted precut?
>>
>>3794590
Labels for carts, so might be both preprinted and precut.
>>
>>3781258
Why go through all that hassle when I could just emulate?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.