[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that the 32X had the hardware to be a Neo-Geo kille

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 32x.jpg (57KB, 579x338px) Image search: [Google]
32x.jpg
57KB, 579x338px
Reminder that the 32X had the hardware to be a Neo-Geo killer at a way lower price.

Let us know when your $649.99 machine can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB1a7FJF8A
>>
Let us know when the 32X can do that too.
>>
>>3779924
>Neo-Geo gets killed
>DOZENS of fanboys across the world moan in anguish.
>>
>>3779908
32X was already less powerful than the Saturn. The two were released like a week apart, Sega thought the 32X would be an "entry level" console or some shit and the Saturn would be an enthusiast console (surprise: developers didn't want to develop for consoles with a split market so both consoles ended up dying).
>>
>>3779908
The 32x did not have the hardware to beat the Neogeo, since the hardware could only access 4 Mbyte cart space.
>>
>>3779908

At the end Kalinske killed Sega with the 32X.
>>
File: 1383527055722[2].jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1383527055722[2].jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>3779975
It just really really should have been one or the other.

>>3779978
No

>>3780581
I know the current, edgy trend is to hate on Kalinske and enshrine the Saturn with your weeb ancestors' spirits but Saturn didn't do so hot.

If we're going to once again have this argument in this thread we should try to avoid debates like "could 32xCD have had the same games Saturn had" or especially "did the SoA/SoJ disparity derail Sage in the mid 90s" I hate that argument. So I'll make a statement I believe to be objectively true that leads directly to my personal subjective take on the whole thing

Under Tom Kalinske's direction, Sega had the greatest success they ever had in the console marketplace

Prove me wrong, Eggs.
>>
>>3780891
I don't want to talk about any of that, 32X could have been an enthusiast platform for people who wanted an arcade machine in their home. But wasn't ridiculously priced for outdated hardware like Neo Neo.
>>
>>3779908
I literally just tried to hook one of these up the other day. I have an entire museum-worth of equipment, and we still couldn't get the damn thing plugged in because it was missing cables. We even have the actual pass through. We're missing the Genesis 3 TV adapter. You know, because this thing doesn't work on earlier Genesis without yet another adapter. Which we don't have.

Such a poorly designed piece of junk.
>>
>>3781050
Well in that case I submit to you that by 1994 the arcade experience was already beginning to flag and the next gen additionally really hurt the market for arcade style games that Neo Geo had carved itself a particular market for over the previous four years - essentially a whole console generation. In 1994, to penetrate that market, it would have been up against the comparably priced Neo Geo CD. Also an uphill battle.
>>
Sega was so retarded, goddamnit. 32x got some good arcade ports like After Burner, Space Harrier, WWF Wrestlemania, MK2 was decent. If they had focused only in porting arcade games with a higher accuracy than the Genesis there for a reasonable price it wouldn't be regarded as an absolute failure.
>>
File: 1483565285436.jpg (33KB, 542x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483565285436.jpg
33KB, 542x600px
>>3779908
>Neo-Geo killer
Why try to kill what was already dead
>>
>>3781080
The arcade games are SoJ properties and they wanted them on Saturn and in cases where we can do apples to apples comparison the Saturn versions are objectively superior too.
>>
>>3780891
>No

Yes.
The 32x was at best on par with the Neogeo hardware wise (it used a completely different approach - framebuffer vs hardware sprites). Even assuming that the gpu could push as many sprites per second as the Neogeo, there's still the problem that you simply can not fit as much graphics on a 32x cart as on a Neogeo one.

And when you push the Neogeo to its limits, it can draw more animation frames per second than the 32x and probably even the Saturn.

Yeah, the 32x has more cpu power and more colours. But that's about it. It has less memory and it has way the fuck less fillrate. Mortal Kombat 2 was already pushing the hardware, let alone Garou MOTW or Metal Slug 3 or Matrimelee.
>>
>>3779908
Neo Geo was primarily an arcade cab, they didn't give a fuck about competing with home consoles.
>>
>>3781086
>Matrimelee
No one gives a shit about that weeb trash.
>>
>>3781091
it's a better game than the entire 32x library.
>>
>>3781082
>best selling arcade machine ever made
>official games released for it all the way to 2004 and only stopped because chinks cracked the security and made cheap bootleg cart.
>several of its games still played competitively in tournaments
>still has an active homebrew scene today

>dead in late '94 when the 32X was released

Stupid dogposter.
>>
>>3781086
What's wrong is the part about 4mb carts. Not only were there 16mb Genesis games (with more possible using bank switching) but there are 32x CD games. You probably meant that the hardware could only address considerably less memory at a time which is true and even when SNK decided to sort of "lock down" the specs on Neo Geo by releasing the CD in '94 I'm sure it was notably larger. The 32x is much more flexible though and more suited to so called "next gen" 3D gaming which I think is the point OP was trying to make. I agree with you though the 32x would have had its work cut out for it to try to penetrate the Neo Geo's market which as >>3781082 so eloquently points out was already pretty much carved in stone by then
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.