[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the Jaguar truly capable of? I'm particularly intrigued

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: HotRod DS-final.jpg (254KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
HotRod DS-final.jpg
254KB, 1236x1600px
What was the Jaguar truly capable of?
I'm particularly intrigued by its 3D capabilities.

In theory, could it have produced anything close to the "proper" 5th Generation consoles?
"Skyhammer" looks kind of impressive.
>>
>>3779542
The Atari Jaguar is about as powerful as the Playstation, so it could have done pretty well with 3D games. The problem was is that the console was hell to develop on, so not many games took full potential of the hardware. If it didn't have so many problems regarding game development, its could've been a good competitor the PS1
>>
>>3779562
>The Atari Jaguar is about as powerful as the Playstation,

It's nowhere near as strong. Maybe a fifth as powerful at best.
>>
>>3779542
say what you want to, but i don't recall seeing no repurposed virtual boys hanging next to the operating table as i drift into a medically induced coma...also, did anyone actually ever see one of these dental units in use?
>>
>>3780375
I didn't realize the first time i saw them but when i went with a friend to the hospital we saw a bunch of those things in the hall of the hospital my friend told that those things where made from some old shitty console, when i went home i started googling and i found out that they where Atari Jaguars.
>>
>>3780375
obviously because the virtual boy sucks and doesn't have the versatility that the jaguar has.
>>
>>3779542
I'm using it to experience Doom for the first time.
>>
I think the Jaguar is cursed.
>had a pretty shady console run
>the Nuon which was an spiritual successor of the Jaguar was a failure and had shitty forgettable movies
>the case ends up as dental equipment
>the case ends up in the Coleco Chameleon which turned out to be a scam.
>>
>>3779542
The Jaguar is such an interesting system.

In theory, even with the Jaguar CD attachment and full usage of the hardware correctly, it would struggle to produce anything close to first gen PS1 games.

Ridge Racer, Toshinden, Warhawk, Wipeout, etc. - even with all the power and CD use in the world the Jaguar would never be able to produce games like this.
>>
Pretty much this. They might have had a shot if they had just released the panther to compete with the SNES and genesis but trying to shoehorn in 3D stuck it right between generations and ultimately made it unimpressive almost immediately after it launched.
>>
>>3782306
Come back to us after you've programmed for both consoles. Jaguar is a beast of a system.
>>
It was a fucking toaster.
>>
>>3779542

It had a single crippling hardware design oversight which drastically reduced its 3D capabilities. If not for that, according to Carmack it could have been competitive with PS1 and Saturn in terms of textured polygons.

As-is, it has roughly the same 3D capabilities as Gameboy Advance, the GBA port of Doom was even based on the Jaguar version.
>>
>>3781293

Not a bad choice. Jag Doom was the truest to the experience of playing it on a mid range 486. Looked pretty much identical to the PC version. PS1 port added CD music and colored lighting
>>
>>3782315
Not that guy nor am I a programmer. But if it's true, how is that possible?
>>
>>3782375

He's full of shit. On paper it's at that level, but there's a needless bottleneck in the architecture that severely limits what can be done with it. Those engineers were incompetent retards.
>>
>>3781267
Yes, molds for plastic injection are expensive as fuck so they just reused the ones for the jaguar.

They saved a good chunk of monies.
>>
>>3779542
It could've competed handily with the PSOne and Saturn with a few minor tweaks, but as it stands I would say it's more like a 32X or PC-FX competitor.
>>
>>3782375

Jaguar has TWO pretty powerful coprocessors for the time.
If you were able to master the connection to TOm and Jerry you could squeeze quite some power out off the machine.
Unfortunately that was so complicated that most developers did not bother and used its mediocre Motorola 68000 for most things (running at about half the speed as Tom)...
>>
>>3779542
A guy on here actually managed to rig the Atari Jaguar to have cross compatibility functions with games from other consoles. That should tell you a thing or two about what it could do. >>3782140
>>
>>3779542
>What was the Jaguar truly capable of?
Collecting more dust than an A/C filter.
>>
>>3784427
Its Edgar you fucking idiot hes the same guy who "modded" his n64 to play SNES games by stretching out the contacts and his dad is electronics
>>
>>3779542
What games can I play on that dental equipment?
>>
File: plaque-attract.jpg (54KB, 600x356px) Image search: [Google]
plaque-attract.jpg
54KB, 600x356px
>>3786717
>>
Why isn't there a dentist mod for the Jag?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.