[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did any of you guys ever experience the magic of BBS games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: img-screen_feemployment.gif (16KB, 470x294px) Image search: [Google]
img-screen_feemployment.gif
16KB, 470x294px
Did any of you guys ever experience the magic of BBS games?

>or the crushing despair of having somebody pick up the phone and shitcan your dial-up modem connection

Legend of Red Dragon is the one that most people remember. Falcon's Eye was a cool sort of war-game MMO, as was Barren Realms Elite...they're kind of like the civ-quest games on /qst/.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>3777820
Yeah LoRD was the shit.
I remember topping the leader board, killing the dragon and then having to start again from level 1.
My BBS only had two nodes but there were only about 40 members, we traded so much warez.
>>
>>3778262
LoRD 2! Mother fucker! MMO before MMO was a thing! Fucking castles and everything! FUCKIIN' EH! LoRD 2!
>>
does anybody remember a bbs door called Food Fight?
>>
>>3777820
I was never around for this shit. Kinda wish I was.
>>
>>3779783
Me neither.

Some of these (door) games can be configured to run on DOSBox, though I'm sure
it's not quite as satisfying as the original experience.

I recall LoRD (and maybe other games) being hosted in a browser somewhere, not sure if this service is still available.
>>
>>3779783
>>3779865
It was unique, that's for sure.
Setting the modem with ATDT commands and then waiting for hours for a non-busy signal only for your sister to try and use the phone and disconnect you straight after.
>>
>>3777820
I remember playing a game called Planets a lot. Objective was mostly just to conquer the universe by taking over planets and absorbing resources off them. Also no real protection, so things could happen like someone leaving your allied group and just take everything with them while they ran and leave you penniless except for what was on your ship. The hostility in our bbs reached the level that someone was jumped from the bushes on his way to a bbs party (I was not involved in this incident).
>>
>>3777820
I was on a BBS called knightfall or nightfall. It was a batman themed BBS where I new the sysop personally. He had few classics like LORD and I think ZORK. One of my favorite games was one called Evangelism Wars. You had to build a mega church. You even had the option to diddle the choir boy.

That was back when you actually had to know a bit about the internet to actually use it.
>>
File: 158850-tw2002[1].jpg (115KB, 575x400px) Image search: [Google]
158850-tw2002[1].jpg
115KB, 575x400px
I operated a WWIV BBS during the early 90s. Met my first little girlfriend that way. Trade Wars was by far the most popular game but my personal favorite was Operation Overkill ][, which is what I usually post about in door threads but I'm trying to go a little farther these days for the good of the board.

One game that I always thought was really neat even though pretty much none of my users ever really played it was Pyroto Mountain. It was originally created as a stand alone BBS where you had to answer increasingly difficult trivia questions to gain access to even normal features like mail or downloads and theoretically users could even moderate themselves based on how good they were at the trivia. The questions and answers were just stored in plain text files so of course it was spoiled for me but you could also easily edit them. I always had an idea in the back of my head that it would make an interesting and mysterious telnet site if I changed the questions to be about my personal experiences and/or philosophies that couldn't be researched.

I see that it's actually still maintained as a web game though. I should really play it to see how much similarity it bears to the version that's on my Pheonix Shareware 2 CD.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.