[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why there's a "Nintendo tax" when products

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: QUESTION.jpg (7KB, 236x226px) Image search: [Google]
QUESTION.jpg
7KB, 236x226px
Explain why there's a "Nintendo tax" when products of other companies generally don't suffer such a thing too.
HARD MODE: Do it without insulting the Nintendo fanbase.
>>
>>3776217
Can I use the words 'cuck' and 'faggot' which could be taken either way depending on the person reading it?
>>
>>3776239
You can, but you won't be awarded the Gold Challenger medallion.
>>
>>3776217
Mario is popular, and the fanbase is vehemently attached to nintendo.

Also, normies love it, they also want to be "in" and hip, so they have to have Mario Party 1-3, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart just so they can be validated when their friends come over twice a year and pop it in.
>>
>>3776217

higher demand = higher price
>>
>>3776263
So why isn't Sega in demand then? I mean the sega fans claim their system is so great and so much better, yet - with few exceptions - you can buy any Genesis game for 8 bucks or less.
>>
>>3776268
Quality =/= popularity

Also people who make bold blanket claims like that regardless of what system they're for are likely fanboys who can't let go of a twenty-five year old "grudge".
>>
>>3776271
Being a fanboy is part of the game. Just like sports, which are also games.
>>
>>3776217
It's just a joke term what's the point?
>>
>>3776217
As someone who runs a used game store, I'll try to explain it as best I understand it.

There are just a whole lot more people looking for Nintendo games than any other system. There are people in their 50's, 40's, 30's, 20's, teenagers, and younger kids who want two things the games they played as kids, and all the games that came before and after.

Using the Super Nintendo as an example, it shows why these things are getting so stupid expensive. Most of the best selling SNES games sold 1-2 million copies when they were new. That's all there are, there will never be more. It also happens that those games are the ones that people not only remeber for themselves, but have become regarded as classics. And now there are a handful of generations more of people who want copies of games where only 1-2 million copies exists, then you limit those down to four categories.

>Copies actively in circulation and up for sale
>Copies in personal collections that will never go back into circulation.
>Copies that are sitting in attics and basements across the world that may or may not ever come back into circulation
>Copies that have been lost or destroyed.

Of those four categories there is only one in which people looking for those games now can get their games from, the ones actively in circulation.

So naturally, these things are going to fetch a higher price. So despite games on other systems having the similar inital copies sold/later supply problem the fact is that there just aren't nearly as many people looking for them. A lot of other consoles it's just us game nerds who want copies, but with Nintendo games, it's us and every other person in the world who wants them. And that is what drives up prices compared to other games of similar availability.

This is all made worse by resellers who jack up the prices, so that when the person who bought a game at a stupid high price won't settle for selling it at the price they paid OR higher. It's a viscous cycle.
>>
>>3776989
This is all well and good but I am going to just blame the resellers because it validates my victim mentality.
>>
>>3776217
I think the big difference is that Sega and many other big companies failed, busy running their franchises into the ground or making B and C-grade games. And Nintendo managed to ride the wave of nostalgia and grow a huge cult of itself.

I think the current wave of "retro" is not coming from past, but rather from the present. A huge chunk of 'retro' crowd didn't even own Nintendo consoles, and weren't even alive in the '90s. They look at the past through the eyes of the present.

Look at Earthbound for example. The game miserably failed when it came out. Literally no one played it back on SNES. Then Smash Bros got big, people saw Ness, and that's how the myth of "great lost Nintendo RPG" was born. And eventually, the myth has outgrown the game itself. It's now retroactively considered a "touchstone" because of all the indie games and hype associated with it. And heck, Smash Bros Melee itself owes its success to Brawl. If not for Wii, only die-hard GC spergs would play discuss it in their containment boards.

Look at other current "retro" trends. Daggerfall and Fallout both have huge followings—and what a coincidence, they have big sequels topping worldwide charts. But what about Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry? The series ended, and literally no one cares what they did anymore aside from a bunch of oldfags, or—oh the irony—JRPG fans looking for the "roots" of their favorite genre. So much for the "childhood memories" for you.

Same way FFVI and Chrono Trigger both got revised into "all-time classics" after Square went mainstream with FFVII and later Kingdom Hearts. The list goes on and on.

The "real" retro gaming is a very small niche.
>>
>>3777054
>Wizardry
The last Wizardry game came out not even two years ago though, it's not half bad either as long as you like pre 6 Wizardry.
>>
>>3777118
It's nowhere near big and I know perfectly well that Wizardry is still technically active, as well as Might and Magic.
>>
>>3776217

Part of it is just Nintendos model, unfortunately

But I do think they hold some consumer preference above other companies

The chances that a random customer is going to walk in and ask for Pokemon or Mario are pretty high. Sure they could just as easily ask for the latest Call of Duty or Minecraft on any system but Nintendo has the advantage of those being first party games so having prices stay more firm just sees to make them more money

What really irks me though is just how less likely they are to drop prices on games than they used to be

I have plenty of old SNES, Gameboy, N64, Gamecube era games that all have "Players Choice" variants because they were discounted after selling so much

With the Wii and DS though, Nintendo quit this practice.

They tried to rebrand it with their "Nintendo Selects" line of games but it just didn't catch on as well.

I think that's where people get frustrated.

You can go on Amazon on look up New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. An 11 year old game, and it's still sold for about what it's original retail price was.

Sure you could argue, people are still going to want the game, so make as much money off it as you can but that seems to foster poor consumer producer relations in some buyers.
>>
>>3776217
just picked up smash 64 for 45$
did i get nintendo taxed?
my local reseller sells it for 70 but i found mine on craigslist
>>
>>3777160

Smash is an odd duck because there's also a competitive scene around Smash 64 so that's going to drive prices

The game was literally a million seller though so I don't really know

That's kinda nintendo tax but at the same time $45 isn't that bad for a game with such high replay value

My rule with retro collecting is, as long as it doesn't exceed current "new" vidya prices and it's something I really want, I've no problem buying it

The only games I've ever spent more than 60ish on were Panzer Dragoon Saga and Tron Bonne on PS1
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.