[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people really unironically enjoy racing games like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (129KB, 1350x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129KB, 1350x1080px
Do people really unironically enjoy racing games like this?

All you do is slide left and right and you can't see shit when the road turns

I much prefer top down racers on old consoles.
>>
File: outrunoXZaIB9qw.gif (2MB, 637x445px) Image search: [Google]
outrunoXZaIB9qw.gif
2MB, 637x445px
>>3772980
Yes.

>I much prefer top down racers on old consoles.
That's nice.
>>
yeah

Just recently got into them. Top down is also cool, but you see even less in those. Single screen racers are the best 2D racers, but sadly only a couple exist.
>>
They also require you get get fucking good.
>>
>>3772980
>can't see shit
How many top down racers can you name show you further down the road than your screenshot.
>>
>>3772980
I had more than a few when I was a kid. My brother and I both loved cars, so racing games were always on the table. Once Mario Kart and F-Zero came along, though, I never looked back. Racing games are one of the few genres that I feel has truly benefited from the progression of game technology.

There is still some appeal to classics like OutRun, but that's pretty much just nostalgia, and I admit it.
>>
Super Hang-On is godlike. Starts out a little rough, but by the end you really get a feel for how to maneuver every turn. Easily one of my favorite games. Outrun is also a lot of fun but seems to be more about presentation, though I haven't played enough to really say for sure. It really depends on how nuanced the controls are, as with most retro games.
>>
>>3772986
That is some amazing use of colors

you can see when the devs really cared about their game
>>
>>3772980
Better question is why /vr/ janitors allow threads like these.
>>
>>3773225
For what reason should it be deleted?
>>
>>3773228
You really think "do people unironically like these games?" is a serious question?
>>
>>3773232
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>3773228
The /v/ meme of using the word "unironically" in a way to suggest people should only enjoy the game as a joke.

The over simplification of racing games of the era also.
>>
>>3773242
Why don't you downvote and move on buddy
>>
>>3773246
I left /vr/ for awhile. The place only got worse it seems. Thanks cancer.
>>
>>3773235
Are you acting stupid? Asking if anyone "unironically" liked a popular genre of video games is at best just pure ignorance by someone with low emotional intelligence. In reality it's just weak shitposting for god knows what reason.
>>
>>3773249
>low emotional intelligence

/v/ poster much? Instead of pretty insults you could try explaining what's good about this style of racer.
>>
>>3773261
I haven't posted on /v/ in some time. Not liking this kind of game is totally fine, not all kinds of games appeal to all kinds of people, that's obvious. But not being able to understand how someone can enjoy something that you happen not to is a sign on low intelligence in general and low emotional intelligence specifically.

I don't see any need to explain to you what's good about this kind of game. If you don't like them that's no skin off my back. But if you honestly need to ask if anyone liked them "unironically" you're frankly a stupid person.
>>
>>3772980
I grew up playing them so yes, although obviously they're flawed.

I used to like stuff like Road Rash, Chase HQ and Cisco Heat where the object of the game is to take out another racer or bad guy rather than simply race from point A to point B.
>>
>>3773169
>Racing games are one of the few genres that I feel has truly benefited from the progression of game technology.

This.
So many amazing racing games in every generation, and they always seem to get better, unlike many other genres and so many great classics still fun to play.
linking racing games is truly getting the best of both worlds.
>>
>>3773406
*Liking
>>
>>3773212
Outrun is probably one of my favorite games.
There is a great interview with Yu Suzuki about it's creation and he talks about his road trip across Europe that was a part of it's development.
The way i've described Outrun is that it's a 1980's day dream you can live for 25 cents.
>>
>>3772980
You've clearly never played OutRun or Rad Racer.
>>
File: bigrun.jpg (243KB, 850x1192px) Image search: [Google]
bigrun.jpg
243KB, 850x1192px
>>3772980

I sure love they
>>
>>3772980
nigga play outrun, top gear, and chase hq

https://youtu.be/sZYPITxZAPg?t=57
>>
Road Rash 2 is my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdi_PL7v3Tg
>>
>>3773793
>nigga play top gear

This.
Seriously. But 2 is a tad better.
I picked it up recently, liking racers and it was cheap.
Was honestly impressed with this.
>>
>>3773809
I recently got top gear 2, i was surprised at how good it was
>>
>>3772980
I burned that game when I was a kid
>>
>>3772980
Your problem is you are playing trash console ports instead of arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ma2Q4jIi7s

PCBs and cabinets are too expensive though; just saw a slot in one of the drive bay covers on your PC and insert a quarter each time you boot up MAME.
>>
>>3772980
out of all that I've played, the only top down racer I like is Neo Drift Out, and none of them let you see as far as any pseudo-3D linescroll racer without being obnoxiously zoomed out or single-screen

>>3773194
Super Hang-On is one of my all time favorite games, but there's something about Outrun that keeps me coming back to it instead. I don't really even know. It deserves to be remembered better, too -- the kind of sluggish Genesis port probably hurt it in that regard (it's totally playable, but it looks and feels slow -- Outrun on Genesis is choppy, but feels properly fast), but there's brilliant arcade perfect ports of both these days.

shit, I feel like Super Hang-On is better designed overall, too
It very well could be stylistic. Outrun's style is 10/10, while Super Hang-On is just okay in that regard.
>>
You play them for the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQSsq7HCNHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkEu-p4JZX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUZYWX2BoY
>>
File: HANG-ON.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
HANG-ON.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>3772980
You can see even less on top-down racers...
>>
I started playing Mach Rider just a few weeks ago and I think it's top fucking notch. It's also a bad example to start the thread with since you don't just move left and right, you shoot and more importantly control your speed, but you were clearly shitposting so whatever.

But seriously you guys I fucking love Mach Rider. It's so much fun. I can't remember the last game I played that's felt so constantly intense.
>>
File: world rally fever.webm (3MB, 319x233px) Image search: [Google]
world rally fever.webm
3MB, 319x233px
>>
>>3773598
>25 cents

Were arcade games that cheap in USA?

Here in Europe, it was more like... $1 per game (and even a whopping $2 for the latest 3D games, later in the 90s).

At best you could have two credits for $1 (our equivalent of $1), but only for old, outdated games.
>>
>>3775853
Used to be
Arcades now are a dollar a game
>>
File: 33056.png (41KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
33056.png
41KB, 1200x630px
>>3775857
>Arcades now
>>
>>3775860
They still exist

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/best-arcades-in-vancouver/
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.