[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Ridge Racer on PS1? Ridge Racer Ridge Racer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Ridge_Racer_Coverart.png (209KB, 256x429px) Image search: [Google]
Ridge_Racer_Coverart.png
209KB, 256x429px
What's the best Ridge Racer on PS1?
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer Revolution
Rage Racer
R4
Ridge Racer Turbo/Hi-Spec
>>
R4 easily. You didn't even need to make this thread, it's unanimously agreed upon across the internet.
>>
>>3768479
Fucking this, Christ man
>>
File: ridgeracerrevolution.png (163KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ridgeracerrevolution.png
163KB, 960x720px
>>3768479
>>3768480
That's like saying Wipeout 3 is the best one because everyone knows it achieved vidya kino and shove 2097 under it.

Here's the real answer OP, Type 4 was the most refined and complete package. Gameplay and tuning wise, there's still reason to play 1 (or Turbo), 2 and Rage. Every game except between 1 and 2 offers something new and different.
>>
I prefer rage racer myself, type 4 is great but too damn easy
>>
File: rageracerjapbackor1.jpg (139KB, 838x650px) Image search: [Google]
rageracerjapbackor1.jpg
139KB, 838x650px
Rage Racer hands down.
From the moment the intro plays, the cars and the manufacturers, the logo customization, the rocking music, the progression system, to the courses themselves (!), the way each of them is geared towards a specific car/play style, and all the great little intricate details in them, I could go on. First Ridge Racer I bought so I could play at home, definitely hit the bullseye, what a ride
>>
>>3768428
Ridge Racer Revolution is the funniest.

Type 4 is the most mature and chill.

It's like the difference between a 16-year-old and a 36-year-old.
>>
>>3768428

type 4 is, maybe, the comfiest driving game ever.

pretty world

arcade driving at its best

awesome music: Pearl Blue Soul, Thru, Motor Species...
>>
REAL
RACING
ROOTS
'99

IN

SHOOTING HOOPS
>>
>>3768501
>That's like saying Wipeout 3 is the best one because everyone knows it achieved vidya kino and shove 2097 under it.
2097/XL and 3 are viewed equally, but it's unanimously agreed that the first one is skippable.
>>
>>3770748
>but it's unanimously agreed that the first one is skippable.
Why would anyone do such a thing? I mean sure, it wasnt perfect, but damn if it isnt fun as hell
>>
>>3770748
>>3770925
Not him but pitching in on this. Wipeout's biggest issue was having an unrefined idea on how hitboxes and collisions should be handled. So in Wipeout 1, even the slightest contact of your wingtip against the walls result in a full bonk. So to really ace Wipeout 1 you had to stay the fuck away from the edges regardless of what your driving line tells you. They fixed this in Wipeout 2097 where you can brush your wings against the walls and it would having a grazing effect instead of a bonk. Grazing your sides in a particular way can actually give you a speed boost (think surfing in Counter-Strike).

Back to Ridge Racer, Type 4 is such a damn good package and they toned down the ridiculousness of drifting that it's actually slightly less exciting of a game. Sort of like how Wipeout 3 leaned towards the whole smart, intelligent future theme that it lost all the gritty and exciting vibe of Wipeout 2097. I actually went back to rediscover and learn Ridge Racer 1, Revolution and Rage Racer because of this. Type 4 is like driving kino with a euphoric vibe while the old games have a more trancey and eurobeatish energy. This is why I don't think Type 4 is necessarily "the best" other than critically speaking.
>>
>>3771327
Oh yeah I totally agree that WipEout had problems. it was unrefined and unpolished in a way that you dont see now that everyone has a handle on 3D, but those faults gave it a certain charm. The low view range and pop-in forced you to actually learn the tracks, the shitty collision made it borderline necessary to perfect a track to win, atleast in the later levels. Not saying the faults are good, because they really arent, but still. Besides, it had the best track in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5JBLkjgP4Q

While I do totally prefer the gritty aesthetic that 1 and 2097 had, I feel like the way it changed from 3 and upwards was fine, because Wipeout tells the story of the society through racing. In the beginning, the AG racing was new, it was raw and people were still testing the boundaries of what that meant while pushing forward into unknown territory. As the series go on and the league and tech has been around for a while, its become streamlined and clean. I know its going a bit overboard, but its a cool progression.
>>
Type 4 fanboy reporting in
>>
>>3768428

For me, Rage Racer & Ridge Racer Type 4 are the best. I've played the fuck-ton out of RR4, but I need to replay Rage Racer again sometime soon.
>>
>>3771612
I found Rage Racer pretty boring. Sure the tracks look nice, but they're 5 minutes long and the driving isn't particularly challenging or enjoyable. The OST doesn't even save this game.
>>
Damn, Ridge Racer will always hold a place in my heart. It was the first PS1 game I purchased with the system and I played it to death.

Ridge Racer Revolution was essentially the same game with more cars and somewhat more track variety, but it had its charm.

I only played the Rage Racer demo and wasn't that impressed with it. I had been playing the Wipeout and Gran Turismo series at the time and, while I think Rage Racer was a beautiful game, I just didn't care much about it.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is the pinnacle of the series and just an amazing game. They got everything right with it and I played it as much as the original.
>>
>>3768652
>I prefer rage racer myself, type 4 is great but too damn easy
this
>>3769768
this to, the hardcore/jungle man in me will take rage racers ost over r4s and r4s finish in random places to unlock cars was stupid as fuck. The best thing about r4 was the rocking intro.
>>
>>3768428
Hey Rad Racer, Street Beat here. Word on the street is that R4 is the best Ridge Racer ob PS1. But here's a secret hombre. If you're a hard, pipe hittin' nigga, you'll want Rage Racer.
>>
type 4
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.