[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>decide to play Terranigma since it's a classic and stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: terranigma.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
terranigma.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
>decide to play Terranigma since it's a classic and stuff
>I guess I'll play the whole trilogy thing so I can appreciate the improvements they made with each new game

>play Soul Blazer
>enjoy the shit out of it despite its no-story, the flawed magic system and the repetition

>play Illusion of Gaia/Time
>enjoy it but not as much as SB, the story could have been good for its time but nowadays it's extremely generic, and the removal of weapons, armors and magic felt like a downgrade to me

>3 hours into Terranigma
This game fucking sucks. Since the weapon is a lance your only attack is a thrust and some variants of it. The magic system sucks. The whole menu system is so goddamn awful. Bosses are extremely level-dependant.

Can you guys convince me it's worth finishing it?
>>
Soul Blazer is the best
>>
>>3766774
I love Terranigma.

All of your criticisms are 100% correct, irrefutably the gameplay isn't very good. This game is very similar to Nier in the sense that both have mediocre gameplay but are masters in atmosphere and theme. I do hope that you'll end up appreciating it anon. It gives unexplainable feels.
>>
>>3766779
Actually, I love NieR. If the story really takes off I might end up liking it. Thanks.
>>
>>3766774
Just like the other anon said, I love it for the classic story, but grew bored of the gameplay like 1/4th in.
>>
>>3766778
Fucking this. I had no problem playing through SB and had fun in the process. Playing through IoG was a slog, but I somehow forced myself through. Playing Terranigma, I just quit about halfway and have no motivation to continue.
>>
>>3766780
you gotta drag yourself through the first bit but it's pretty worth it
>>
>>3766779
>This game is very similar to Nier in the sense that both have mediocre gameplay but are masters in atmosphere and theme

Hahahahaha OP you got meme'd into an "experience".
>>
Terranigma is a great game. Give a chance to it.
>>
OP here. Got to Bloody Mary. Fuck this game.
>>
>>3767880
Use magic
>>
>>3767880
Throw the Ice Pike to the trash, she's inmune to it.
>>
>>3767880
git gud at equipping the light pole and mashing dash slash
>>
>>3767880
Either magic or grind the fuck up. Your grind now will prevent any grind in the future however. It's literally just Mary that's the issue.

My issue with Terranigma is that there's no real down time, and if there is its disguised as stupid side quests. SB and Gaia gave indicators of how long their levels were, meanwhile that fucking Tibetan mountain is so fucking long, and that's before the avalanche shit.

Magic was a mess too. It implies magirocks are a form of currency, but really they're more like inventory space for spells you buy. Use the spell and the slot gets freed up.

There's all this buildup for some amazing ending, but it's not there. Some random guy you heard about in the last 2 hours of the game is the final antagonist, dark Gaia's doing something, and the dual world stuff is BS. They tack on an emotional conclusion for characters we never had any emotional attraction to.
>>
>>3770831

>Your grind now will prevent any grind in the future however. It's literally just Mary that's the issue.

When I played Terranigma I grinded enough to beat Mary and figured it'd be fine from then on, and then it took me like 45 minutes to beat the fucking big red robot boss.
>>
Hey, OP here. Just beat the game some minutes ago. Honestly, I didn't like it. I can see why people love it, it has some great ideas and a really epic feel to the whole thing, but the gameplay killed it for me.

Making cities grow is really cool, and I'd say it is the best thing in the entire game, despite just being a bunch of chain talk-to-this-npc quests.

But as I thought 3 hours in, the combat is awful. Magic is only useful in one boss. The menu system is so boring to use I couldn't even bother checking the map most of the time.

And the leveling system is just fucking broken. I kind of appreciate the change from SB or IoG which had limited enemies, but the fact that 1 level of difference in some bosses is the difference between making 2 and 40 damage is utterly stupid. I beat the first phase of the final boss just fine, and found myself having to go back and level up just so I could do some damage in the second phase.

I didn't find the story that impressive, mostly because I'm fucking retarded and didn't understand many of the concepts that the game would constantly throw at my face. I get the whole "progress might not be that good for humanity" vibe, but when you start talking about dark and light worlds I start to lose track. But that's just me, I'm not criticizing the game for this.
>>
>>3766774
Holy fuck, Terranigma is my all time favorite game. Yeah, magic sucks, and I have never used it myself, but man, that lance gameplay is amazing.
>>
Is Granstream Saga worth playing? Looks pretty slow paced.
>>
>>3771270

It's not the best, but it's clunkiness is sort of charming if you like that kind of thing.
>>
>>3771270
I enjoyed it. You may not. The best weapon is hidden at tge beginning of the game. Use it if you just want to plow through.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.