[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>dat feel when SEGA has lost every single console war What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 24

File: segafan.jpg (73KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
segafan.jpg
73KB, 500x500px
>dat feel when SEGA has lost every single console war

What went so fucking wrong?
>>
they're number one in my heart.
>>
>>3763021
>muh console war

How many great arcade games have Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft made? About ten, combined.

Sega's actual competition was Namco, Capcom, Konami, Taito, etc.
>>
>>3763021
>every single
Except one.

Also in general their consoles were pretty great especially when paired with the competition, they're quite complimentary. Don't know why it always has to be one or the other.
>>
>>3763035
>Megadrive has won the 4ht generation
KEK
I don't think so
>>
>>3763038
It literally did in Japan and Europe and was divided down the middle in the US.

But I say again; Sega consoles are great especially when paired with the competition - doesn't have to be one or the other.
>>
>>3763041
>doesn't have to be one or the other
Sega is dead because every single console arrived second or worst
>>
>>3763046
Sega is dead because of bad management and bad decisions, doesn't reflect the quality of the games though.

I honestly don't care too much about Sega, your OP pic just rustled me so now I'm rooting for the underdog.
>>
Poor communication between SEGA Japan and US led to a toxic culture between the two. Lead to mixed messages to devs and retailers with crap like the 32x and Saturn in the mid 90's. Not to mention completely ignoring PAL regions where they already led the home console market, partly due to shitty exchange rates. By the time they started to get it together with the DC they'd been entirely pushed out of their demographic by Sony.

Fun fact - The Saturn was originally planned by SEGA US to be developed by SGI, i.e. an N64 with a CD drive. The 32x was meant to be the tech to keep them in there 'til '96/'97 like the SuperFX was for Nintendo when they picked it up. But SEGA Japan was more concerned with Sony so they took the Model 2 arcade board, swapped in cheaper components and shoved it out in '93 to compete with the PS1.
>>
>>3763041
>It literally did in Japan
>was divided down the middle in the US.
Both wrong. Mega Drive was steamrolled by Super Famicom in Japan, and lost even to PC-Engine. In US it lost but put up quite a battle. Where divided "down the middle" with SNES was in Europe, where Master System had a some degree of success before.

SNES:
US—22.88 mln
Europe—8.15 mln
Japan—17.17 mln

Genesis:
US—16.98 mln
Europe—8.39 mln
Japan—3.58 mln
>>
>>3763041
>It literally did in Japan
The PCE and SFC were far more successful there than the Megadrive. The Genesis would've won the North American market hadn't it been for Sega's ineptitude which allowed the SNES to thrive into the mid-late 90s however.
>>
>>3763021
Master System was doomed from the start. Not only Nintendo was strong as ever back then, they also engaged in very shady anti-competition practices. In result the platform was left without much 3rd party support.

Genesis was Sega's most successful console in the West. Perhaps some of its success can be attributed to Kalinske. However, in Japan it failed to get much traction, not in the least because it barely had any RPGs. And again, Nintendo still had a firm hold on most devs.

Then Sega started losing their touch. Infighting between SoJ and SoA was getting more intense. Sega made failed hardware like Sega CD and 32X, and although Game Gear sold better, it couldn't compete with GameBoy and had horrendous battery life.

Then came Saturn. It was a really flawed piece of hardware, but it was the first and the last time when Sega beat Nintendo in Japan. However, it didn't matter anymore, as PS crushed both. PS was simply cheaper, better hardware, with better games and more support. Also, Sega made lots of missteps with Saturn, like no 3D Sonic and early distribution fiasco. In result, it barely got traction in the West.

This was when Sega lost all of the momentum they built with Genesis. Whatever they did afterwards, they wouldn't recover. It was over for them; in a tight, unforgiving competition of '90s video game industry, a single misstep could mean you were out of business. And Sega had been a losing streak which lasted several years too long. They were a sinking ship, only held afloat by their previous successes.

Still, they made DC—and frankly, this time Sega at least got the hardware right. It was cheap, and it could compete with 6th gen graphics-wise. But at the same time, they got hit by the decline of arcades. One of Sega's biggest income sources was going down. An DC's promise of "real arcade experience" didn't wow anyone anymore.

Still, it was too late to fix anything. Sega dug its own grave back in the early '90s.
>>
File: PC-Engine-Console-Set.jpg (1MB, 3700x1600px) Image search: [Google]
PC-Engine-Console-Set.jpg
1MB, 3700x1600px
>>3763041
>in Japan
Nope.
>>
>>3763057
>europe
>master system won
>genesis won
Did the Saturn win, too? God Europe ruins everything, except the Xenoblade localization.
>>
>>3763091
Saturn was more common than N64 here, The only reason the Saturn jobbed hard against the PS1 in Europe was thanks to SOA not letting SOE do their thing.
>>
>>3763041
>It literally did in Japan and Europe and was divided down the middle in the US.

No, they were a complete failure in japan. Like almost as bad as the Xbox.

They won in Europe and South America (mostly due to Nintendos absence), I they were doing great in Australia, and they were winning in North America until late 94 / early 95 - when their flood of new hardware took its toll and parents grew tired of their shit and bought a super nintendo or a sony psx.
>>
File: UdkO2i7.png (113KB, 1223x821px) Image search: [Google]
UdkO2i7.png
113KB, 1223x821px
>>3763091
Nope, Saturn failed everywhere except for Japan.
NA: 1.83 mln
EU: 1.12
JP: 5.80

Compare that to N64:
NA: 20.11 mln
EU: 6.35
JP: 5.54

And actually, Master System numbers in EU seems kinda vague. I've seen them differ quite a lot from source to source. But the funny thing is, look at that official Nintendo sales report in the pic. NES truly took off in Europe only after 1991… The fuck.
>>
>>3763076
>However, in Japan it failed to get much traction, not in the least because it barely had any RPGs.

It wasn't RPGs that made a difference. It was the fact that the Famicom had legendary status there, and the Super Famicom got a huge head start because of that. It was not unlike how the PS2 killed the DC on hype alone before the console was even out.
>>
>>3763119
>NES truly took off in Europe only after 1991… The fuck.

They got their shit together with distribution and marketing around then. Also, eastern europe just opened up, and they could sell the units for potatoes there.
>>
>>3763125
>. Also, eastern europe just opened up, and they could sell the units for potatoes there.

Nintendo pretty much didn't exist in Eastern Europe outside of hand me downs from relatives in the West.
Outside of cloned systems SEGA was the one dominating that field until some smart ass thought it was intelligent to pull the plug on the Mega Drive in Europe(1997) despite printing money.
>>
File: Terminator2game.jpg (392KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Terminator2game.jpg
392KB, 800x600px
>>3763125
> eastern europe just opened up, and they could sell the units for potatoes there.

pretty sure nintendo didnt sell these
>>
>>3763126
>Nintendo pretty much didn't exist in Eastern Europe outside of hand me downs from relatives in the West.

I'm eastern european, we had people playing Super Mario Bros through phones live on TV, we had some of the nintendo adventure books localized (I still have two, Monster Mix-up and the one with Luigi), shitload of Gameboy and NES ads, even had a store specializing in Nintendo gear in our small town.
>>
>>3763135

Well that's not how it was for here ,say Nintendo and you get refereed to this >>3763131 meanwhile in stores you could get new Mega Drive II's the only guy who I knew had a SNES was given it by relatives in Germany he couldn't even buy games for it anywhere.
>>
>>3763121
Yeah, sorry, didn't proofread that paragraph I wrote. I meant, it was one of the reasons, but of course not the biggest one.

You're right, Famicom cult was at its strongest in Japan back then. Plus they had all the devs, plus Master System went unnoticed in Japan… And they didn't even have the headstart advantage in 4th gen, because PC-Engine was there from 1987.

It was an uphill battle for Sega. Even Sonic failed in Japan, selling measly 300,000 copies.

But still, for interest, take a look at best-selling SFC games.

1. Super Mario Kart—3,82 mln
2. Super Mario World—3,55
3. Dragon Quest VI—3,19
4. Super Donkey Kong—3,00
5. Street Fighter II—2,88
6. Dragon Quest V—2,80
7. Final Fantasy VI—2,55
8. Final Fantasy V—2,45
9. Super Donkey Kong 2—2,20
10. Super Mario Collection (All Stars)—2,12
11. Street Fighter II Turbo—2,10
12. Chrono Trigger—2,03
13. Super Mario Yoshi Island—1,77
14. Super Donkey Kong 3—1,77
15. Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana)—1,50
16. Super Mario RPG—1,47
17. Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden—1,45
18. Final Fantasy IV—1,44
19. Dragon Quest III—1,40
20. Romancing SaGa 3—1,30

That's right: 10 (!) out of 20 best-selling games on the system in Japan were RPGs. So I think it was pretty important as to why MD failed.
>>
File: Chip n Dale 3.jpg (134KB, 950x482px) Image search: [Google]
Chip n Dale 3.jpg
134KB, 950x482px
>>3763125
You greatly overestimate the buying power of Eastern Europe. Anyway, we had Dendy and all the sequels you burgers didn't get. Jelly yet?
>>
>>3763152
Well we did get the only non shit Ghost Busters game ever made
>>
File: 024c_tn[2].jpg (94KB, 331x426px) Image search: [Google]
024c_tn[2].jpg
94KB, 331x426px
>>3763046
Jeez what's been keeping Nintendo afloat for the last 20 years then?

>yfw N64 is older now than SG-1000 was when Dreamcast was released
>>
>>3763118
>they were winning in North America until late 94 / early 95 - when their flood of new hardware took its toll and parents grew tired of their shit and bought a super nintendo or a sony psx.
To be fair, Nintendo brought in some big guns late in SNES life cycle. Namely, the 3 DKC games, Yoshi's Island and Killer Instinct. But yeah, Sega shoot itself in the leg with 32X.

>>3763116
Looks like the 6.75 mln claimed N64 sales in EU & Australia were mostly localized in the latter region.
>>
>>3763173

I am from Spain seriously i did not know a single person with a nintendo 64. Plenty of saturns here and there.
>>
>>3763167
First of all, Nintendo won every portable gen. DS sold over 150 million units, tying with PS2 as the best-selling console of all time.

Second, Wii. Hate it or love it, Nintendo claims it shipped 100 mln units—which would mean it won 7th gen (or at least tied with PS3 and X360).

Third, Nintendo has some of the world's strongest IPs. The best selling retail game of 2016 wasn't CoD or even FIFA. It was Pokemon Sun/Moon.

Fourth, you might have heard that the company has so much cash stashed that it can operate at a loss for 200 years or so.

Lastly, you will be surprised, but you know who leads 8th gen right now in Japan? It's Wii U. Makes you think, doesn't it.
>>
>>3763205
It didn't win, but it put on quite a fight in America. It wasn't like in Japan where Mega Drive was outsold 5 to 1 by SFC.

The mere fact that some hotshots seriously threatened Nintendo goes to show that the console made quite an impact. Although Sega subsequently managed to fuck it all up.
>>
>>3763215
>Lastly, you will be surprised, but you know who leads 8th gen right now in Japan? It's Wii U. Makes you think, doesn't it.
They're on par last time I heard, but home console sales haven pretty irreverent in Japan for quite a while. It's all about the portables over there, since even the Vita has been outselling both. Hence why Nintendo's new console is a hybrid.
>>
>>3763276
Hard to say. Might be that they really became irrelevant. I'd need a good article or source on this though.

But it could be that Sony simply buried Japanese home console market. They were the last beacon of "normal" domestic console games for Japan. Now Japanese have the following choice:
> PS4, which westernized everything to become the new X360—and in result it barely sells in Japan (given it's a fucking Sony)
>XB One—as usual, struggling to break 100,000 barrier here
> And Wii U, which is the last non-westernized console they have.
So I think the situation is really bad if they're buying this deadborn child of a console.
>>
>>3763215
>baited so fucking hard lol
why are nintendrones so simple

No, the real reason that Sega failed is because they always, always at every single step of their console production had a self-destructive compulsion to be on the bleeding edge. Their strategy was to be first to market with jaw dropping hardware while their competitors delayed (often learning from Sega's experiences) and released more balanced systems that didn't have the shortcomings that months or even years revealed in the Sega systems.

I suspect this philosophy was a direct result of Sega being an arcade facing company at heart. Arcade machines benefit significantly from incorporating the newest technology to set them apart from the machines sitting right beside them and next year, the new hot game could also incorporate new and exciting hardware since it would be an entirely new board or even a "conversion kit" that included new stuff.

Even the 4th gen debacle represents this as Sega thought it would be a good idea to release expensive add-ons while Nintendo more wisely just included relatively cheap add-ons like SA-1 and Super-FX in each cart without it pushing the release prices up that much and Nintendo's game mark-up was shocking anyway so they could afford to shrink margins in order to extend the life of their console.
>>
>>3763057
>In US it lost but put up quite a battle. Where divided "down the middle" with SNES was in Europe

Stop trotting out these long debunked numbers. You are comparing Genesis sales prior to Christmas 1994 against Nintendo's end-of-life SNES sales as reported in 2003.

It is estimated by Nintendo themselves, and other market analysis, that Genesis sold between 22 to 23 million units in US before it was discontinued. Nobody knows the exact figure because Sega never released it, but the pallbark is known. In any case, the sales in US between the two platforms were so close it was virtually a tie.

It's also well understood that Sega won Europe in that generation. However the actual success of platforms varied from country to country. Germany was a win for Nintendo, but UK was a win for Sega.

Sega got decimated in Japan. That alone accounts for the difference in world sales. However, Sega won in the West. There's no question.
>>
>>3763041
>literally did in Japan

Why do you lie, anon? I love Sega, but don't be a lying faggot.
>>
>still arguing between Sega and Nintendo

No matter which lost, we all won in end.
>>
>>3763357
Look, I don't really insist on these numbers. If they're wrong, please correct me, I'll accept new information, alright. It'd be silly for me to make a holywar out of sales figures. I try to understand what the market shaped like. In fact, it doesn't even matter to me who "won". I'd like to know more accurate numbers, but I just see that both Genesis and SNES sold really well. I don't really care who took a slight lead.

That said,
> According to a 2004 study of NPD sales data that presents year by year charts through 2001, the Sega Genesis was able to maintain its lead over the Super NES in the American 16-bit console market.[54] According to a 2014 Wedbush Securities report based on revised NPD sales data, the SNES outsold the Genesis in the U.S. market.

The "North American sales" part of Genesis article on Wikipedia just goes to show how hard the estimation was.

>It is estimated by Nintendo themselves, and other market analysis
Source please.
>>
>>3763339
I don't care if it was bait or not. I just answered the question.

>No, the real reason that Sega failed is because they always, always at every single step of their console production had a self-destructive compulsion to be on the bleeding edge.
You're might be right, but it worked for them with Genesis. Didn't work with Saturn and Game Gear though.
>>
>>3763368
I like how people say "lost" as if Yamauchi committed picross as soon as he saw Kalinske congratulated by Bill Clinton on TV for winning console war.
>>
>>3763315
Apparently Sony doesn't see much future in the Japanese console gaming market, since they moved their Computer Entertainment division to California last year and renamed the company Sony Interactive Entertainment.

If I recall correctly, it took them quite a while for them to really sell the PS3 in Japan too and the only thing that was keeping them afloat during that period was the continued PS2 support and the PSP. Not exactly encouraging, considering the PS3 was being sold at a loss until the slim model.

At least now they have an infrastructure that allows Japanese companies to make multiplats on PS4 and Vita with ease, so they could support both platforms without any hurdle.
>>
>>3763315
> PS4, which westernized everything to become the new X360—and in result it barely sells in Japan (given it's a fucking Sony)

I find this comment rather funny because Microsoft seriously tried to capture the Japanese market in the early to mid years of the 360 catering as fuck to the Japanese by getting rpgs,visual novels,semi lewd weeb games like galgun/idolmasters,arcade shooters etc. Offering the developers massive discounts on the dev kits(if they didn't know how to program something microsoft would send them a guy to show them how its done).

In the end despite the system being priced very generously they simply refused to purchase it.
RROD or not they wouldn't buy the system simply because it was American.
>>
>>3763420
Yet, it got more Cave ports and shumps than the PS3. Funny how that worked out.
>>
>>3763406
All that you say is true. They sold around 10 million PS3s in Japan. That's a joke compared to PS2's 23 million. Sure, the latter is in the longer timespan, but still the difference is striking. PS4 is now around 50 million mark worldwide, which is very impressive. But, only ~4 of these are in Japan. This is very sad news. Maybe FFXV will help things take over. But so far, to me it's looking to become the new least-selling FF in Japan.

>At least now they have an infrastructure that allows Japanese companies to make multiplats on PS4 and Vita with ease, so they could support both platforms without any hurdle.
I guess for most Japanese devs, raised development costs will still be a problem. If even in PS3 times most switched to cheaper platforms or simply went out of business, I'm afraid even the bigger ones will quit when PS4 allegedly raises game development budgets 2–3 times compared to PS3.
>>
>>3763435
>I guess for most Japanese devs, raised development costs will still be a problem.

Pretty much this the "budget" commercial game died out on home consoles, these days you can't get away with not having voice acting nor having a tad bit more primitive visuals etc. This entire branch has pretty much been relegated to handhelds.
>>
>>3763420
And you're actually right. MS even did Blue Dragon. I imagine MS top manager nervously smoking in a room full of people working 24/7, laying out the foolproof plan of finally taking Japan, angrily shouting "get me Sakaguchi on the phone!!!", bribing Toriyama with underage Western maidens, etc. And it really did help! They went from selling literally nothing, to a selling slightly more than that.

They underestimated Japanese patriotism when it comes to consoles. When MS went into Japan, I doubt they expected Vietnam war-tier of resistance.
>>
>>3763041
> Won in Japan
What the fuck are you talking about? Nintendo was first and the second best selling console in Japan was the fucking pc engine not the megadrive. Good god. Some people on this fucking board are dumb as hell
>>
>>3763450
I would assume it was a /v/ crossposter, but I don't think there are that many deluded Segafags over there.

I like Sega, but they were always behind someone in the Japanese industry, whether it was Nintendo or Sony.
>>
>>3763449
Lost Odyssey,Ace Combat 6,Ninja Gaiden II etc
>>
>>3763445
I think the biggest problem is, games have to sell way more now just to break even. But in turn, they sell way less in Japan. And it's even worse now with PS4. Maybe we have to wait a bit now that FFXV has come out. But currently, it's looking pretty fucking grim. So far, the best-selling games on the system have sold around 500,000 copies. They even buy Western shit now, I guess from the lack of Japanese-made games.

It's just unsustainable to keep making games in this environment. The simple arithmetics tells us: if your game cost $60 mln to develop, you'd have to sell a million copies as possible minimum without DLC.

Meanwhile, these games sell millions in the West. No wonder Sony ditched Japan. They used to be 1/3 of the world market, now they shrunk to maybe 5% of it.
>>
>>3763459
>Ninja Gaiden II
Ahem

>Lost Odyssey
Made by the same hobo and race traitor Sakaguchi
>>
File: 1037444-itagaki.jpg (93KB, 672x576px) Image search: [Google]
1037444-itagaki.jpg
93KB, 672x576px
>>3763487

Don't talk shit about the great pancake face
>>
File: Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg (798KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg
798KB, 2592x1944px
>>3763021
Image looks almost like Kanzaki Sumire of Sakura Taisen. Somewhat fitting of a metaphor, when reading of the character on Wikia. Sega did put lots of money into the Sakura Taisen games, and they were supposed to be system seller games, but they are now used Madden-tier valued games. In this context, I do have dat feel that everything went fucking wrong, but I still loved my time with every Sega console I have.

>>3763028
>>3763034
This. Arcades were great, all of those developers/publishers knew how to occupy my time. There's just an energy about them which makes me happy inside. To Sega: https://youtu.be/9XBNfhlQtuU?t=5m51s

I live near a very large arcade not 10 minutes away, but I'm too poor to even go there. I chanced the Google maps search, the Sega owned arcade around here still is in operation too, but my friend no longer works there and has moved on; it would add to the hurt if it were gone.

>>3763035
Yeah, I too had the benefit of multiple makes of consoles between my friends and family. However, it seems a bit less exciting to me without some NEC, Sega, SNK, et al.

>>3763041
Numbers would suggest otherwise. Yet, in my personal experience, the PC Engine seemed to be the hotness of its day followed by Nintendo with the MegaDrive being completely stomped as no one had that. The numbers and stories I read now does indicate the Super Famicom was the one everywhere, but kids loved what the PC-Engine showed off.

>>3763118
I can only speak of what I witnessed, and all I ever seen purchases and trade-ins for Xbox products in Japan were from foreign military personnel. Then again, when I was on Xbox Live, 90% of gamercards I see from Japanese users, has to have Idolm@ster on it, so it was the Idolm@s machine at best. Again, this is just my personal experience. Unlike MS where they had that audience, I have no clue what audience the Japanese Mega Drive had.

Thread has sad feels, has a emo nu-metal music vibe now.
>>
>>3763629
>I can only speak of what I witnessed, and all I ever seen purchases and trade-ins for Xbox products in Japan were from foreign military personnel.
That's actually a pretty common joke within Japanese gaming forums.

>Unlike MS where they had that audience, I have no clue what audience the Japanese Mega Drive had.
Arcade freaks who wanted to play Sega games at home.
>>
>>3763021
>dat feel when you don't give a fuck.
Happened to me around 13. Only a few years for you sport.
>>
Sega was always the patrician choice.
>>
>>3764260
>Literally the poor kid's console
>patrician choice
topkek, m8 :^)
>>
>>3763021
They released too many consoles and add-ons during the 4th gen, then got cock slapped by Sony in the 5th. The Saturn was a cesspit or weeb shit and arcade ports.
>>
>>3763054
The saturn is nothing like the model 2 arcade board, if anything it's like a system32 taken to it's logical conclusion
>>
>>3764327
Not exactly.
>Game Boy vs. Game Gear vs. Lynx (vs. Turbo Express, which shared the TG16's HuCard catalog)
>Game Boy Pocket/Color vs. Neo Geo Pocket (Color) vs. Wonderswan (Color) vs. Game.com
>Game Boy Advance vs. Crystalswan
>>
>>3763175
Off-topic, but what do you think of that Sasel idiot? That guy is such a tryhard poseur.
>>
literally who?
>>
Master System > nes
Megadrive > Snes
Saturn > PSX
Dreamcast > PS2

SEGAs problem never was the hardware or the games. They had an image/marketing problem for the most part. I remember in the mid nineties
SEGA had a great reputation among gamers just from their incredible arcade machines. But when you asked those guys if they are going to buy the new SEGA home console, answer always was like, hell no i will get a playstation. SEGA was always too hardcore for the dumb masses. And the videogame market isn't won over by hardcore its won over by casual "light" gaming.
>>
>>3764367
There aws no such thing as casual gaming - at least by name - until 7th gen. This is just revisionist history: the post.
>>
File: 75757575fvovo1_1280.png (538KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
75757575fvovo1_1280.png
538KB, 1280x1280px
>>3764372
dude there is no such thing as gaming, our universe is a holographic illusion, kay?
>>
File: 756.jpg (131KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
756.jpg
131KB, 1024x732px
>>3764367
>This post
I can see the tears from here.
>>
>>3764367
>They had an image/marketing problem for the most part.
That's an understatement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDCor5WCns
>>
File: Dr-Evil.png (320KB, 502x362px) Image search: [Google]
Dr-Evil.png
320KB, 502x362px
>>3764384
>>3764393
>>
>>3764407
You can smell the desperation of Sega trying to one-up PlayStation after all these 20 years in this commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sok61uLI7Ws
>>
File: otacon(1).jpg (22KB, 475x267px) Image search: [Google]
otacon(1).jpg
22KB, 475x267px
>While the PS2's October 26 U.S. launch was marred by shortages—with only 500,000 of a planned 1 million units shipped due to a manufacturing glitch—this did not benefit the Dreamcast as much as expected, as many disappointed consumers continued to wait for a PS2
>while the PSone, a remodeled version of the original PlayStation, was the best-selling console in the U.S. at the start of the 2000 holiday season

>hoped to sell over 1 million Dreamcast units in Japan by February 1999, but less than 900,000 were sold, undermining Sega's attempts to build up a sufficient installed base to ensure the Dreamcast's survival after the arrival of competition from other manufacturers.
>There were reports of disappointed Japanese consumers returning their Dreamcasts and using the refund to purchase additional PlayStation software

SEGA...had a hard life.
>>
>>3763035
Is that you, Brazil?
>>
>>3763173
>>3763175
>nintendo 64.

The N64 was mostly a burger console, 20 out of the 32 million units were sold in the Americas, Howard Lincoln the former NoA CEO was really pushing for 3rd parties to publish sports and mature games for the system, that's why it got edgy games like Turok and Shadow Man and those Major Sport Leagues games starring Kobe Bryant and Ken Griffey published by Nintendo.

Ironic if you think about it , NoA back then was trying to be the dudebro console, not too different than what the Xbox is today, while current NoA only wants to be the family friendly Mario-only publisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRs6IVYJBg
>>
>>3764535
I think it was Yamauchi himself who pushed for western support, since he wasn't liking the direction the Japanese gaming industry was taking but saw much progress within the west.
>>
>>3763215
>but you know who leads 8th gen right now in Japan? It's Wii U. Makes you think, doesn't it.

Makes me wonder why the Wii U didn't get any Japanese 3rd party support , PS3 and VITA that have around the same graphical capacity are still getting 3rd party games there.
>>
>>3764548
Because most of the 3rd support is going to the 3DS, which has the higher install base out of all the platforms in Japan.
>>
>>3764548
That's because most japanese devs are dead.
>>
>>3763629

I love that Japanese used games are usually in pristine condition,at least based on what I've seen on the internet, while used games on this side of the ocean are in terrible condition because stupid spoiled kids ripped-off the labels and clueless parents threw cardboard boxes and manuals to the garbage.
>>
>>3764262

>paying more for a lesser console
>patrician
>>
>>3764372
>JRPGs
>easy "cinematic games" like MGS, soul reaver, and the entire survival horror genre
>N64, the literal party game machine
>N64, the piss easy platformer and adventure game machine
>the huge drop in difficulty in general during the transition from 2d to 3d

and of course:
>normie racing games and sports games
>>
>>3764727
The saturn exists anon
>>
>>3763167
I miss Weekly World News.
>>
File: doc6jrlg2zltm9o8tgz4u1-770x470.jpg (118KB, 770x470px) Image search: [Google]
doc6jrlg2zltm9o8tgz4u1-770x470.jpg
118KB, 770x470px
>>3764372
>revisionist history

Low IQ ? ;-)
>>
>>3764535
Exactly. It's ironic Microsoft even acquired Rare afterwards. I think Genesis actually started this trend with Sonic 2 developed partly my Americans, games like Comix Zone and so on.

>>3764548
What >>3764565 said, basically. Just look at the numbers from the end of last year:
3DS: 21 mln
PS3: 10
PSV: 5
Wii U: 3.28
PS4: 3.6
This is approximate, but it goes to show the big picture.

Also, the target auditories of consoles are different. Wii U had casual appeal, lots of hardware gimmicks, and was also positioned as "family fun". On the other hand, PS Vita continued in the same way as PSP, presenting solid "classic" platform oriented towards more mature auditory, and thus becoming one of the best consoles for JRPGs.
>>
File: sirene.jpg (76KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
sirene.jpg
76KB, 640x905px
>>3764632
>and the entire survival horror genre
Yeah, that's why the entire genre literally died in the early days of the seven generation
Too casual, like Siren
>>
>>3763420
The original Xbox also had an enormous japanese support system. Microsoft basically pumped massive amounts of money in devs to get their library up and going so they could compete with the PS2. In japan they also threw around a load of money. Giving games like NUDE, metal wolf choas and gun valkyrie.

They shouldve just made a puppet japanese company which made the Xbox, make an Xbox-tan character which is delicious brown to go with the dark color scheme of the xbox, "accidently" drop a few devkits in front of porn companies with a big wad of money, put a skirt and panties on the console itself so every time you have to fire it up you have to lift up the skirt and move aside the panties and make the startup screen of the xbox feature xbox-tan who is a ditz and tries to help you go through hte menu but screws up cutely.

Maybe then they couldve won from the PS2
>>
>>3765173
Fucking japs, two bombs were not enough
>>
File: nude video game xbox.jpg (177KB, 1167x800px) Image search: [Google]
nude video game xbox.jpg
177KB, 1167x800px
>>3765173
Forgot picture.
>>
>>3764124

You're going to die sooner than young people.
>>
>>3763629
Sorry for repeating myself, but every time Sakura Wars is mentioned, your opinion on series gets more and more negative. There were lots of good memories with series, and personally I want to appreciate these moments.
>they are now used Madden-tier valued games
This is common for most first party bestseller games though.
>>
File: My_only_way_to_play_SegaCD.jpg (546KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
My_only_way_to_play_SegaCD.jpg
546KB, 2592x1944px
>>3763641
I don't know if it is a joke, just observances I had. The guys are great to talk to that by them, but when they return to their home, they sell their Xbox stuff back to the stores awaiting the next non-Japanese person to buy them. I'm not part of the military, but I bought a Japanese 360 (as they are region locked) with a few games and I just think I am bringing the device back home to the US where it would be appreciated since it gets no more love in Japan.

There are those PCB collectors. Hooking up a whole board to a supergun, which I think are the real arcade freaks.

>>3764586
A lot of them are in very fine condition. I remember getting a lot of used games prior to Y2k and it sure felt like getting new games at a discount. However, recently, on searches on eBay ('cus I am curious with the games I learn about), I have noticed a lot of filthy, dirty, sunfaded, with missing spine card/obi titles everywhere. I am guessing that is all which remains in this day, which store owners are embarrassed to display.

>>3765563
Yes, it's true, I want to love Sakura Taisen. It was the chosen one, and it never delivered. As mentioned the OP's pic looks a lot like Sumire to me, and I feel exactly as that image portrays.

Sadly, I do not feel that for my lost to my thieving cousin Super Punch Out or Mario RPG for example. Hell, I've never tried Earthbound, and without emulation I likely will not. Damn first-party best sellers are expensive to me. I understand they are good games, I just can't get back what I have lost to time (and thieving cousins).
>>
>>3765173

MS were very, very close to buying Sega. Sega Japan's board was all for it. Sega's employees were for it (Because it would end Sega's absolutely insane management and likely replace it with way more sane MS Japan management). Microsoft had huge Japanese presence for years and were well respected in the dev community there because of the MSX being where a lot of developers got their start. While in the states, Bill Gates thought it was a great idea and was willing to spend a decent amount of money to start them off with a library and include Dreamcast compatability so they could start off with that audience.

Problem. Steve Ballmer. Sweaty Balls didn't like the Xbox project, failed to kill it. Even secretly met former console CEO's like Trip Hawkins for advice. And he basically shut down any plans to buy Sega because he didn't want a "Failed Brand" associated with the Xbox from the start because he feared it would be the next 3DO and Bill was wasting their time (Especially as it would be a messy acquisition as they would have to sell off Sega's Arcade and Pachinko operations along with other concerns in Japan). Eventually there was a showdown between Bill and Steve, and Steve won out but he started turning around on the Xbox project by the end of the launch.

Had they bought Sega, there would be no doubt it would have been the "Sega Xbox" in Japan and likely done a lot better than it did with the Japanese branding.

But then the whole reception of the Xbox in Japan has always been weird because Japan loves Microsoft products and they are just below Apple there as far as affection for their products go, all except for the Xbox.

It's one of those interesting "What if" moments in gaming history.
>>
>>3765603
>But then the whole reception of the Xbox in Japan has always been weird
I don't know if they like MS, it's the first time I'm hearing about this. And after all, they don't exactly have their own OS able to compete with Windows. But Japan hates Western games in general, maybe with a slight exception of RPGs (thanks to Wizardry and Ultima) and mascot platformers (see DKC sales, also Crash managed to do reasonably well there). Their sense of patriotism and national pride is also well-known.

Even then, a handful of Japanese games weren't going to save Xbox, unless they were like what D was for 3DO. They weren't in this category, they were just reasonably good. PS2 had all the big guns like FF, DQ and Gran Turismo carried over from PS, plus the brand recognition.
>>
>>3763021
>this thread

Nigga, I ain't reading all that shit.

1. SEGA made aand had a lot of great games on their consoles which I still play to this day

2. They're still in business after all these years.

3. Who the fuck cares about brands and logos. Don't get so invested in shit that doesn't matter.
>>
The real cancer is people defining console wars through the lens of globalization instead of country by country, or region by region.

Sega won a lot of console wars.
>>
File: hitler.jpg (15KB, 240x165px) Image search: [Google]
hitler.jpg
15KB, 240x165px
>>3765668
>The real cancer is people defining console wars through the lens of globalization
>instead of country by country, or region by region
Say that to Hitler
>>
File: PC_version.jpg (703KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
PC_version.jpg
703KB, 2592x1944px
>>3765563
Also notice how I do not have 4. I even introduced the games/series to a friend, and he even got 4 when even I didn't, to tell me it was only a few missions/chapters just to gather everyone together for one last time to say goodbye. Only at my first post there finally read the wikia to spoil a bit of 4 and found out: Kanzaki Sumire, who prides herself in her skill (the better than everyone else ojou), lost her power and had to fade away in retirement, which mirrors Sega's fate. A narrative which is tragic to me, but reflective of the cold reality. The doctors gave us the chance to say goodbye, and now we're escorted out to allow for the plug to be pulled. Roll credits.
>>
>>3765603

>Hey Sega, shut down all your arcade developers and get to work making the next halo :^)
>>
>>3765682
Jesus, your apt/house/shack in the woods must look like an akishop. Jelly!
>>
>>3765703
its not like sega never made xbox games themselves.
>>
>>3765682
>and had to fade away in retirement
Never seen this as Sega metaphore. Probably because I found out about her seiyuu retirement from series before playing 4.
Same with idolm@ster you mentioned.

>and now we're escorted out to allow for the plug to be pulled
Some series have worse fate. For Sakura series it was a good run.

>Sadly, I do not feel that for my lost
Japanese copies are still in reasonable price tier, but you probably want exactly same things you lost back then.

Wish I knew this kind of attachment, but I only had bootleg stuff until previous gen. Only had one legit Mega Drive game, and rebought it recently.
>>
>>3765740
>Same with idolm@ster you mentioned.
Here I wanted to say something about seiyuus being really important for me in these series, but lost my point. Well, something like that.
>>
Sega didn't what Nintendoes.
>>
>>3763021
There is speculation that the Genesis sold much closer to the Super Nintendo and that it was covered up.
>>
>>3765601
found one of these at goodwill years ago for 10 bucks. sounds like the laser is about to give out
>>
>>3765173

I was a PS2 and DC guy that gen but if they released the XBOX just like how you described it, I would have bought one right aways. My horny little 13 year old brain would be blown away by that panty and skirt concept. Fuck, I still would buy it now and I'm close to 30.
>>
You guys seem to know what you are talking about. How do you think the switch will affect Nintendos position in the market? I got burnt hard with the WiiU (hey, I'm a tragic for some monster hunter). The switch may very well be the first Nintendo console I pass on.
>>
>>3766237
I skipped out on the Wii U completely, but I'm pretty tempted to pick up the Switch for some reason.
>>
>>3763380
>Look

Stopped reading there only faggots who can't admit they're wrong start a sentence with the word "look".

Go fuck yourself kid.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>3765603
>Problem. Steve Ballmer.
As much as i hate sweaty balls Steve i think thats the greatest thing he ever did. Preventing the sega/ms buyout. All hail the disgusting balmer mofo!

SEGA is doing financially great these days without the home hardware market.
>>
>>3766275
Mind sharing what kind of penises you like the most?
>>
Sega sucked shit at courting good (or maybe not necessarily good but popular) third party developers, probably partially because of poorer business acumen and partially because some aspects of the Genesis turned them off (like the sound chip).
>>
>every single
SMS: obvious loss to NES because of obscurity at the time and fewer titles
Genesis: virtual tie with SNES
SCD/32x: no real competitor, wins by default
Saturn: won among niche gamers that didn't drink the nugamer casual fucking Sony/Nintendo koolaid and delivered vastly superior games in a time when gaming devolved into style over substance bullshit
Dreamcast: won for at least 2 years over everything else until the fucking Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo clusterfuck caught up and dumb fanboys fell for all that garbage.
>>
>>3766353
>SEGA is doing financially great these days without the home hardware market.
How so? Sega Sammy relied heavily on pachinko sales. Now they're going down. Video games haven't even been their main source of profit for many years.
>>
>>3766450
>SCD/32x: no real competitor, wins by default
PC Engine CD systems?
>>
>>3763076
The Master System wasn't the NES' competition, the SC-3000 was.
>>
>>3766450
> Saturn: won among niche gamers
Read: only total spergs bought it

>Dreamcast: won for at least 2 years over everything else

False. Get your facts straight.
>Though the Dreamcast launch had been successful, Sony still held 60 percent of the overall video game market share in North America with the PlayStation at the end of 1999.
>Sega's initial momentum proved fleeting as U.S. Dreamcast sales—which exceeded 1.5 million by the end of 1999[91]—began to decline as early as January 2000.[92]
>While the PS2's October 26 U.S. launch was marred by shortages—with only 500,000 of a planned 1 million units shipped due to a manufacturing glitch—this did not benefit the Dreamcast as much as expected, as many disappointed consumers continued to wait for a PS2
>PSone, a remodeled version of the original PlayStation, was the best-selling console in the U.S. at the start of the 2000 holiday season.
>>
SG-1000/SC-3000 was moderately successful in Australia and New Zealand, not so much in Japan. Destroyed by the Famicom in Japan. Wasn't released to a large extent in Europe and the United States.

Master System had the longest life of any Sega console as a budget Mega Drive in the 90s. The Master System II was cheap and extremely popular in Australia. It continued to have official Sega releases until 1995. Outsold its competition, the PC Engine, globally. Ended up competing with the NES in the 90s once Nintendo dropped the price, but still won out in its larger markets.

The Mega Drive was Sega's most successful console globally. Edged out a late run of the SNES. Sonic the Hedgehog was a popular mascot and was essentially the face of video games in Australia.

The Mega CD was a moderate success in some markets, but a failure overall. It outsold its competition, the PC Engine CD, but did little to advance the Sega brand.

The 32x released the same year as the Saturn in Australia and was marred by a lackluster advertising campaign by Ozisoft, Sega's distributor in Australia. Was doomed from the start being released so late.

The Saturn led the Japanese market for some time, but lost to the Playstation. The Playstation won globally by a long way, with Sega a distant second in all markets except America.

The Dreamcast was a moderate success in Australia but was overshadowed by the Playstation almost immediately, not being released until late November 1999. Their partnership with Telstra, Australia's largest internet provider at the time, was good in theory, but Australia was too far behind in the internet for it to matter.
>>
>>3766615
>The Mega CD was a moderate success in some markets, but a failure overall. It outsold its competition, the PC Engine CD, but did little to advance the Sega brand.
Pretty sure there were more CD-ROM2 owners in Japan than there were Mega CD owners.
>>
>>3766640
Everything suggests so. I'm reading that together, CD-ROM2 and Duo models sold 1.5 million combined in Japan by around late 1993 (numbers taken from Famitsu, IIRC). And Mega CD was at 380,000 mark by March 1994.
>>
File: download.png (9KB, 347x145px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
9KB, 347x145px
Sega has never had as many hit games as their competitors and so they always end up going under.

Nintendo often makes many hit games THEMSELVES, never mind third party titles that are on their systems.

What are memorable franchises that are on Sega systems? Phantasy Star, Panzer Dragoon, what else? There's almost nothing with any real legs.

Sonic has a loyal fan base of furries, but most people who actually play videogames don't like the series (hence why practically every attempt to make a new Sonic game has been a big flop) Where as almost every single Super Mario game is a beloved title.

There's really only two things I like about Sega, the Genesis' audio and Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that they went under as a console producer unless they just don't have even a cursory knowledge of the era in which Sega systems existed
>>
File: C3UqT2MUMAAq4Gc.jpg (157KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
C3UqT2MUMAAq4Gc.jpg
157KB, 1200x900px
>>
>>3766691
>Phantasy Star, Panzer Dragoon, what else?
Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shining Force, and many more. That's just Genesis. Then there's Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Sakura Taisen, etc etc all the way up to Shenmue.

>most people who actually play videogames don't like Sonic
Wrong. Every game in the series sold over a million copies on Genesis. And I don't know what Nintendo circlejerk you're referring to, but Sonic is considered a great game by most players and critics with non-fringe opinions.

>hence why practically every attempt to make a new Sonic game has been a big flop
Because 2 good games were on DC and the rest was simply poorly made, because Sega went out of business and lost most of their good staff. Sonic Advance was good, as was Rush.

>Where as almost every single Super Mario game is a beloved title.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Nintendo sits on heaps of money, and has less asinine management.

Also, I sure liked New Super Waluigi 3D Land U, an iconic game we all played. But what a surprise, literally no one talks about Sunshine. Why? Because no one had played it. Just like you haven't played Sonic.
>>
>>3766743
>Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shining Force
>Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Sakura Taisen, etc etc all the way up to Shenmue.
Noonecares.jpg
When Segafags understand this?
Those games never make great numbers
>>
>>3766640
No, there were nearly 2.5 million Mega CDs sold globally.
>>
>>3766851
Daytona USA was huge everywhere and Virtua Fighter was once the number 1 fighting game in the world.
>>
>>3763041
Horseshit m8

SNES raped it in Europe
>>
>>3767418
Good meme kraut now go get bombed and dissolved again.
>>
>>3766851
Are you retarded? Why do you even mention Panzer Dragoon, it didn't sell all that well. In case you didn't know, VF2 was a system seller for Saturn, let alone the game Tekken and DoA pulled all feature from. I'm pretty sure though that you had no idea, and don't even know what Shinobi or Sakura Taisen is, so back to YouTube comments with you

Also, we're measuring numbers now? Just goes to show the bias people have.

Streets of Rage: 1.86 mln in US alone, outsold Final Fight
>"bla bla bla I'm not listening no one cares"

Super Metroid: 0.57 mln in US, 1.42 mln total
>MUH MASTERPIECE 10/10 EVERYONE KNOWS THIS GAME BECAUSE ITS SO GREAT
>>
>>3767418
False.

First off, Nintendo sales are based on their data divided for their 3 separate divisions: Japan, NA and "other (Europe, Australia, etc)". And the official data suggests they shipped around 8.5 mln consoles in "other" regions.

Not only this number ties with Mega Drive sales in Europe; but what's more, that 8.5 mln is a sum of Europe + Australia + some other regions.
>>
>>3766275
>Shit, he's being reasonable and open-minded
>Better divert attention to some minor detail so I can claim superiority that I didn't actually earn.
Look lad, it's clear that you're just bullshitting at this point.
>>
>>3766691
>most people who actually play videogames don't like the series
Imagine being this underage and up your own ass with dank /v/ maymays for 14 year old retards. Nice reddit spacing btw.
>>
>>3763021
A FUCKTON of cocaine.
>>
>>3763028
Thanks mom!

>>3763041
>it won in shit countries that no one cares about
Neat

I actually had a friend growing up that swore that Nintendo had a mole inside of Sega undermining them from within due to how crazy they got with the Saturn onward.
>>
>>3767132
Yeah, but I was talking about Japan specifically, not worldwide. The Mega CD did better worldwide, but was pretty meh in every market.
>>
>>3767817
But why only talk about Japan? That was Sega's weakest major market.
>>
File: MegaRPG_MD_JP_Badge.jpg (29KB, 329x266px) Image search: [Google]
MegaRPG_MD_JP_Badge.jpg
29KB, 329x266px
>>3767862
Well, it's not unreasonable to compare Sega and NEC/Hudson. Both weren't Nintendo who had a firm gripe on the industry in Japan.

Mega Drive's lack of RPGs was a problem (see >>3763142 )—so much so that Sega eventually started Mega RPG Project initiative. And technically, Mega CD capability could solve this and allow it to compete with CD-ROM2. But that didn't happen. The add-on mostly only got ports from its competitor.
>>
>>3765658

Windows is really popular over there. 7 and 8 had campouts outside electronics stores and the branding is everywhere. MS also has a very big history over in Japan where their Japanese branch created the MSX Home computing OS and the Japan Branch started because legendary programmer Kazuhiko Nishi (Who founded ASCII Corporation) and Bill Gates correspondance and eventual alliance. Japan was one of their strongest regions because of their known custmer support (MS even encouraged the OS-Tan craze when it started on 2ch back in the early 00's and eventually made their own official versions)

Japan loves the MS brand, but it could never love the Xbox. It's not "patriotism". The whole thing had a branding problem from day 1 they could never fix.

>>3765713

The 11 game deal MS signed with Sega (In lieu of the buyout) also saved Sega's ass because MS paid the majority up front for it instead of per game so it gave them operational cash for years.

>>3765802

Even Tom Kalinske said it was very close but Genesis basically dying in 1995 while SNES had arguably it's strongest year with tons of "Must have" software at a very consumer friendly price and library that went down drastically in price put the SNES over the edge at the very end. It was close but Nintendo took that generation.
>>
>>3766353
>>3766490

It was a give and take. MS having control wouldn't have been the best but It put Sega directly in the hands of Sammy who, after two years of rocketing profits completely crashed the company.

It would have sucked either way

IMO He should have used Sega's desperation for a company saving deal harder. No DC Hardware in the Xbox but guaranteed up front money with a potential buyout if they only produced games for Xbox and allowed MS to use their branding in Asia (And maybe got what was left of their hardware division to make a slimmer, more Japanese appealing revision of the hardware). But the whole thing was really short tempered and short sighted anyway. The books are fantastic, by the way
>>
>>3769956
Well, what you describe about Windows can be said about most countries. Because frankly MS has little to no competition. I've heard though that most of Japanese don't use PCs as often as people do in the West; might be wrong here but after all they had their flip phones and consoles since forever.

Japan also "loves" iPhone, they hold ~40% market share there despite they have Sharp and Sony (on a side note, ironically, both make/made components for Apple, at least they did once in the past). But then again, Apple is big everywhere. Don't think Japan likes Samsung very much though.

MS simply went to compete where Japanese already had 2 established leaders: Sony and Nintendo. It's a big question if their brand name was even relevant to consoles, especially in Japan.
>>
>>3767862
It matters when it comes to collecting games. It's much easier to buy a copy of Snatcher on PC Engine without mortgaging your house.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.