[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I made this label for your PseudoSaturn AR-based cartridge.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: PseudoSaturn2.png (37KB, 381x219px) Image search: [Google]
PseudoSaturn2.png
37KB, 381x219px
I made this label for your PseudoSaturn AR-based cartridge.

Hope you like it.

https://vgboxart.com/view/75584/pseudosaturn-cover/
>>
>>3761840
Thanks but I have long updated to superior Saturn Rhea devices.
>>
>>3761847

Info pls...
>>
>>3761847
>>3761850

Consulted Google, SD boot. Okay anon.
>>
>>3761851
Yes, it is 100% accurate unlike PSIO.
>>
>>3761861
>100%
More like 95%. Love mine to death but it gives me some audio issues in the timeless classic Minnesota Fats Pool Legend. Also had some issues with Brain Dead 13 but that can be played on a million other platforms. Still love mine to death.
>>
>>3761847
Same. Bought a JP Saturn to use Rhea then bought a Phoebe because why the fuck not, and threw it in my Saturn I bought in '97. Love using them vs PSIO also.
>>
File: mother.png (352KB, 1824x1816px) Image search: [Google]
mother.png
352KB, 1824x1816px
It looks good, I like the JP logo.
The planet on the back looks a bit weird though, why not try something more defined, something similar to the Mother logo, in terms of contrast con composition, not saying you should copy it.
>>
File: Victor V-Saturn Controller.jpg (33KB, 433x317px) Image search: [Google]
Victor V-Saturn Controller.jpg
33KB, 433x317px
>>3762090
Or how about you know

SATURN
>>
>>3762095
Agreed, that would make it even better. Just suggested a change of contrast on what was already on the design.
>>
File: sega-japan-1.jpg (188KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sega-japan-1.jpg
188KB, 1024x768px
>>3762090

OP here. That was the idea. It's inspired on the Mega CD boot, and that thing in the SEGA Japan HQ in Tokyo...
>>
File: Whataboutnow.png (73KB, 476x274px) Image search: [Google]
Whataboutnow.png
73KB, 476x274px
>>3762125
>>3762090
>>
>>3762137
Better, but I think it needs to be just one shade of grey, make it look uniform and it'll look fantastic.
>>
File: SATURN ALIENWARE.jpg (4MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
SATURN ALIENWARE.jpg
4MB, 4272x2848px
>>3761847
same here. PSeudosaturn never really had a place honestly. Before it you could get a modchip for the same price, and today you can get SD loaders. Or still get modchips. there's no point in using pseudosaturn.
>>
>>3762169
Except for all us who just happened to own a Action Replay derivative of some sort.
>>
>>3761861
>>3761890

The real question here is why is PSIO (still) such a piece of flaming horse shit? And when will something better come along?
>>
>>3762169
>today you can get SD loaders
Yeah if you're willing to be 3 years on a waitlist and then miss the batch of 2 being produced each time
>>
>>3761847
>not having a mod chip before you were born
>>
Anyone having trouble with some games besides the games that are already stated to not work with this?
>>
>>3762364
Not really, works fine for all the games I tried.
Only game I had trouble with was Panzer Dragoon II, which is said to not work with pseudo, although I've read some anons saying the lastest version of pseudo (Kai, I think?) makes these games work too, not sure if that's true, haven't really bothered to upgrade, it still has a pretty amazing compatibility list.
>>
>>3762174
>Except for all us who just happened to own a Action Replay derivative of some sort.

You still need to modify your console to load backups, in order to flash your action replay. Which, once you do, defeats the point of flashing the AR to load backups, because you can already load backups, and flashing the AR will take away the ability to use cheats or save games.
>>
>>3762169
>and today you can get SD loaders
good fucking luck buying them from the one guy in fucking poland or something who makes five of them that sell out in 1 minute at 6am for something like 180 euros
>>
>>3762374
To install the pseudo you just need to do the swap trick once. The only "mod" you need to do is attaching a bit of tape to a switch inside the console (the one that checks if the disc tray is closed to spin discs), and it's only necessary on the model 2.
>>
>>3762332
>Yeah if you're willing to be 3 years on a waitlist and then miss the batch of 2 being produced each time

Or you could just put up a RSS feed on ebay for "Sega Saturn Rhea" and wait for two weeks. They pop up pretty often for how rare they are.
>>
>>3762379
>The only "mod" you need to do is attaching a bit of tape to a switch inside the console (the one that checks if the disc tray is closed to spin discs), and it's only necessary on the model 2.

But once you do that you can already boot backups, you idiot. Flashing the AR card after that gets you LESS compatibility - games are known not to work with it, plus you can't save games anymore either.
>>
>>3762381
>swap trick
enjoy killing the motor even faster than usual
>>
>>3762381
Doing the swap trick can be pretty bothersome and inconvenient, as well as >>3762382 (although I think it's not reall doing the swap trick what could cause the laser's death, but an accidental hit to the laster while doing it might, if you're careful I don't think it can do any actual damage).
It's true that a minority of games are not compatible with pseudo, but as already stated there's a newer version now, Kai, which is said to have a better compatibilty, not sure because I haven't tried it yet.
So basically, yeah doing the swap trick you can play any CD-R, but pseudo makes it more practical, like a modchip.

>plus you can't save games anymore either.
In my experience, the flash memory on the AR carts ins't too reliable. I've lost saves on mine. I recommend just buying a regular watch battery and replace the internal Saturn one which is probably dead by now. That way you can save to the system, and if you can get a hold of an official Saturn memory cart, you can transfer the saves there for backup, but you only need to do it every once in a while, just in case the internal battery dies (some say they don't last long, I've had mine for 1.5 years, so far is still going).
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>3762403
regardless of laser health you damage the drive's motor by stopping it while switching discs.

I've been playing lots of saturn games with kai and I haven't found any that don't work yet.

Elevator Action Returns is fun af why didn't anyone bother publishing this outside Japan
>>
>>3762403
There's really no winning with saving on the Saturn. The AR carts are notoriously unreliable. The internal battery is meant for saving arcade scores and you run out of space pretty quickly if you're playing a strategy game or an RPG. Transferring to saves for backup every so often puts a lot of stress on the cart slot (pull out AR cart, put in save cart, pull out save cart, put in AR cart) and it feels like the part of the Saturn that's going to break first. Small memory cards were something Sony got right.
>>
>>3762421
>(pull out AR cart, put in save cart, pull out save cart, put in AR cart

You only really need to do it every once in a while. Unless you plan to play like 10 RPGs at the same time.
I know the cart slot is said to be very sensitive, but just do it very carefully and soft, don't slam and cart in, and take it off gently as well, do it with care and love and it will be alright.
>>
>>3762421
Modchip + OEM Memory Cart works pretty good for me.
>>
>>3761878
Audio issues are caused by bad rips. There are a ton of bad, old Saturn rips.
>>
>>3762453
Anyone have a source for consistently clean saturn rips? I've had a ton of issues with them not working on real hardware. Got a disc into PDS and had to spend half a day hunting down a rip that would work on my system for the second disc.
>>
>>3762382
>enjoy killing the motor even faster than usual
Urban fucking legend. The motor does not deteriorate because you hold it down for one third of a second, it's designed to withstand that much. It's the laser that wears out, and if the laser cannot see the disc, it won't tell the motor to spin it up.

>>3762403
>Doing the swap trick can be pretty bothersome and inconvenient
Going through a menu each time you boot games is equally bothersome and inconvenient. That's why I use a modchip.

>although I think it's not reall doing the swap trick what could cause the laser's death, but an accidental hit to the laster while doing it might, if you're careful I don't think it can do any actual damage
The laser sits below the entire tray, which sites below the top assembly. You cannot "hit" it accidentally by putting in a disc. You could only hit the laser if you'd specifically hammer it through the hole in the tray, or if you'd remove both the top of the unit and the tray as well.

>In my experience, the flash memory on the AR carts ins't too reliable.
The flash memory is reliable. It's the cart slot that is unreliable. And if the cart does not connect perfectly, the system will end up overwriting your saves with junk. Since the AR stores both firmware and saves in the same flash memory, this will end up bricking your card. Normal memory carts have the same problem.
>>
>>3763347
Pleasuredome.
>>
>>3762376
You subscribe to blog, wait for update, get e-mail, read the post when new batch is announced and order it.
That's it.
>>
>>3763347
I think Darkwater's dumps on Theisozone are good
>>
>>3762376
Actually I got them the first time and it took 3 ~4 hours before they closed orders.
>>
>>3763401
>the developers originally intended the motor to be fucked with
Over the top kek. You sound very mad. Might be a good idea to take a break from /neo-v/ and spend some quality time with the family while the babies scratch each other eyes out.
>>
>>3763401
>Going through a menu each time you boot games is equally bothersome

"going through a menu" is just pressing the A button once, it takes like 1 second.
Definitely not as bothersome as doing the swap trick, come on.

>The flash memory is reliable. It's the cart slot that is unreliable.

I didn't even touch the cart at all, and my memory on the AR cart got erased randomly one day, I doubt it was the cart slot.
According to what I've read various people say, it's a common issue with the AR carts, where the flash memory gets fucked. At any rate, I decided to turn the cart into a pseudo and I bought an official memory cart to store saves separately (and a watch battery to save internally). I'm not risking my saves getting deleted again. If my official cart ever deletes my saves, then I'll change my mind. So far the bad experience was with the AR.
>>
>>3764154
>the developers originally intended the motor to be fucked with

Not the developers, the hardware manufacturers. Every piece of hardware is fault tolerant to some degree. In the case of a motor, that means not burning up the second the motor stalls for whatever reason (because stalling can happen for practically any reason).

When you stall a DC motor, it can get damaged because it will draw more amps, and this causes excessive heat built, which will damage its components. The motors also may rely on their own movement to generate air currents to cool themselves down, which exacerbates the overheating when the motor is stalled.

But, heat does not rise up instantly. It takes some time. When you swap the disc, you stall the motor for an extremely short time. Not long enough for heat to build up to levels beyond normal operational limits.

There are other mitigating factors as well. You usually swap discs after the console has been turned on, so it was likely turned off before you do a swap, and therefore it is much cooler than it is during normal operation. Once the motor resumes, they force air currents by their own movement, helping the drive to cool down.

Additionally, the drives may have current limiters on their controller, which could prevent or heavily reduce the problem.

swapping will not damage your Saturns motor, unless you are a moron who holds the disc down for minutes every time when you swap. Just pop the disc off and the unit will be fine.
>>
>>3764172
>I didn't even touch the cart at all, and my memory on the AR cart got erased randomly one day, I doubt it was the cart slot.

The slot is extremely finicky. Even a minor buildup of dust can prevent some of the pins from making proper contact, and it may just be a temporary drop in connection, not a permanent one. If that happens at the wrong time, you'll either have the wrong data written on the flash, or data will get written in the wrong address, or the WRITE ENABLED pin will get enabled at the wrong time and a data read will instead do a data write, etc.. Either one of these are enough to corrupt the AR carts firmware.

If you could then reflash the cart, that means the flash chip is functioning 100% correct - you just overwrite all data on it successfully. So the flash memory is fine, it's the cart connection that sucks.

>If my official cart ever deletes my saves, then I'll change my mind.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, then I ended up with two of my official memory carts getting corrupted. I had to dump the flash chip to analyse what happened.

The first time it only got the filesystem header corrupted, which was easy to fix, it was just a repeating string, but if it is missing the cart is not recognized as a backup cart.

The second time, it had a partial data block of a save game written to nearly every empty sector on the cart, plus overwriting some of its own sectors as well. The silver lining was that this happened a very short time after the other corruption, so I did not lose much data.

Since then I clean the save carts more often, and check the memory manager to see if they are readable before booting a game.
>>
>>3764250
So far I haven't had any problem with my pseudo AR cart, and my memory backup cart is fine also.
No plans to change anything for now.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.