[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite version of the ORIGINAL arcade SFII? Not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

What is your favorite version of the ORIGINAL arcade SFII? Not Super, X, Anniversary, or console ports, but the original CPS1 games:

World Warrior (aka the Thinking Man's SFII)

Champion Edition (aka Why is the Snake Orange Edition)

Turbo: Hyper Fighting (aka The Official Bootleg SFII)

*insert SFII bootleg here* (aka ChingChong Edition)
>>
The first one for SNES. First and last time I cared about SF.
>>
>>3759330
>World Warrior (aka the Thinking Man's SFII)
Aka fighting in a swimming pool, aka 8 chars where 2 are pretty much the same.

Everything before Super was broken. 3 hits = dizzy rule killed the game. Super acknowledged combos and toned down dizzies, finally allowing for matches that didn't end with 1 hit. If you hate Super, you're a pleb and a casual and should stick to Smash Bros.
>>
>>3759330
World Warrior, cos fuck the haters
CE (rainbow bootleg), cos pretty
Super, cos characters

Who does everyone play with?

Akuma>Ryu>Ken
>>
>playing anything other than SFIBM

Casuals pls go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBeQKNzCFqs
>>
>>3759330
Turbo
>>
File: Sf2ww-ryu-srk-a2.png (3KB, 81x128px) Image search: [Google]
Sf2ww-ryu-srk-a2.png
3KB, 81x128px
>>3759427
!nekuyrooohS
>>
>>3759427
Shoutout to whoever did the voice acting on that port
https://youtu.be/kqq4lTbuJ8s
>>
>>3759340
>Everything before Super was broken. 3 hits = dizzy rule killed the game. Super acknowledged combos and toned down dizzies, finally allowing for matches that didn't end with 1 hit. If you hate Super, you're a pleb and a casual and should stick to Smash Bros.
This. I never understood the obsession with Hyper Fighting., especially among SNESfags and people who make shitty "best of" lists. The higher speed wasn't even implemented naturally, everyone acts like their on caffeine.
>>
>>3759762
Same guy here. Even if we're speaking strictly about the CPS1 original games, I much rather play SF2CE over SF2T. Even the extra moves in Turbo felt cheaply made, since they're all made of recycled assets. I can get never get over Chun-li's blue yoga fire.
>>
>>3759762
'Best of' lists simply mirror best-seller lists. They are made to simply confirm most popular opinions in order to get clicks/likes.

Initially, the devs of SFII were aware of the bug which allowed for the basic jump-in combo. They kept it because they thought the players wouldn't use it. So from what I understand, World Warrior was build with single strikes in mind, with no combos performed.

Super was the update that World Warrior needed, and it was a huge turning point in the evolution of fighting games. It was so influential on the genre that up to present day most of 2D fighters use the groundwork that it laid back 1993.
>>
>>3759796
>'Best of' lists simply mirror best-seller lists. They are made to simply confirm most popular opinions in order to get clicks/likes.
Yeah, but didn't SF2WW along sold more on SNES than SF2 Turbo (and SF2 Special CE on Genesis combined)? SF2WW should really override the later games if it was a choice of which is the most influential.

It seems to be mostly western players that are most obsessed with SF2T for some reason, since that got even a stand-alone digital release on Xbox 360 (I think there's an airplane version too). When Capcom started porting SF2 on non-SFC platforms in Japan (Mega Drive, PC Engine and X68000) they went with SF2CE over Turbo, even though Turbo was a year old by that point. The only reason why the Genesis version of SF2CE had a Turbo mode was because of the SNES port and even the SNES version had the option for a CE setting.

>Super was the update that World Warrior needed, and it was a huge turning point in the evolution of fighting games. It was so influential on the genre that up to present day most of 2D fighters use the groundwork that it laid back 1993.
I never understood why they didn't just make Super SF2 into a SF3. They went through the trouble of remaking the game on a new hardware, drawing new art assets and even gave the bosses proper jumping punches when they didn't have any before. It might as well had been a numbered sequel if they had made completely new backgrounds and endings
>>
world 920313 Street Fighter II' CE, cause that's the board i have
>>
>>3760125
>920313
Is there any site that details all the differences between the various revisions of Capcom games. I know there's like six or so revisions of Final Fight, including the obvious regional variants (USA, WORLD, JAPAN).
>>
>>3760157

I'd be curious to know that as well. The problem is that when trying to search for revisions, you're going to find stuff about the differences between WW/CE/T. You find people referencing that different revision dates do indeed exist, but I've yet to find any sort of hard list referencing what exactly is different besides the boot screen numbers.

Interestingly enough, there was a Japanese revision of CE that was only dumped within the past ~5 years or so (originating from Drakon, humorously enough). There also seems to be an early version of WW that has yet to be dumped (USA 910204; you'll find some guy going nuts over it if you search, but despite his claims of insane value, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay a meaningful premium for it). My guess is that since SFII PCBs are so common, people don't bother to check, or even know to check, to see if they have a rare or otherwise unknown revision and just assume that it has already been dumped.
>>
>>3760228
Maybe the dates are not meant to be actual software revisions but print runs?
>>
>>3759330
Champion Edition all the way.

World Warrior felt like a Beta, they even had ugly art in the cutscenes.

>Hello Tranny Eliza
>>
>>3759427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfzVzOtQ8f0
>>
dash and hyper fighting for the same reason, you can convert them to daimakaimura or strider hiryu or some other cp1 games. also ww can be converted but I don't know how.
>>
>>3760270

I'd wondered that. They apparently signify the different revisions on the ROM labels themselves by way of letters on certain EPROMs which are linked to different revisions. Some discussion of it here references that the undumped 910204 version has fewer "A" markers on EPROMs than the earliest one in MAME which was a few days later:

>the earliest version in mame has all A's and this one has A's only on some then yeah all fingers point to it being earlier.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=314298&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Print run date seems logical, though I have to wonder why they would've felt the need to update in-game code to reflect this. The guy on MAMEWorld references AI and stage changes.
>>
>>3760067
>I never understood why they didn't just make Super SF2 into a SF3. They went through the trouble of remaking the game on a new hardware, drawing new art assets and even gave the bosses proper jumping punches when they didn't have any before. It might as well had been a numbered sequel if they had made completely new backgrounds and endings

Cause it wasn't a sequel, from what i heard or read, Super Vanilla was released as a holdover test game for the CPS2 and to compete with MKII and Samurai Shodown, since Super Turbo felt like what Super Vanilla was meant to be in the beginning, like the new moves, ryu and ken completely reworked with this new punches and kicks, Chunli getting that new kick attack, Guile getting proper frontal strong kick and strong punch attacks, blanka getting those side stepping like jumps, Bison getting a couple of new aerial punches, and even the new challengers got a few new moves and regular punches.
>>
>>3759330
Street fighter 2 arcade
>>
>>3760157
alas there is none, no list or anything, the difference between my CE and the second revision is that dictators torpedo move hits five times when blocked in mine and 3 times in the second revision. I think world warrior has like 14 revisions or so with zero documentation what was changed from rev to rev. However there is a site that tells the difference between regions. If you know more than me please share...

http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/R/ARC/1.html
>>
>>3759742
i cant stop laughing. thx anon, very pretty
>>
if you pick any thing other than hyper fighting about those 3, you know nothing about street fighter ii
>>
i also have a rare usa world warrior revision, where all bugs are fixed. No magic handcuffs, no dhalsim TP's, no crashing the game. Guiles roundhouse sonic boom doesnt go as high anymore as it did in previous revisions. But seriously i wish someone would make a list of all the changes.
>>
>>3760484
Hyper Fighting is overrated.
>>
>>3760507
do you even play fighting games above a mashing level? champion edition is absurdly broken and so is world warrior. hyper fighting is one of the most balanced sf games and easily the most balanced sf2 one. if you just mashed on the snes with your brother 20 years ago don't pretend you have any thing relevant to add to the discussion
>>
>>3760510
All the SF2's prior to Super and Super Turbo are broken, anon.
>>
>>3760514
proof? because all the best sf2 players who were around back then say hyper fighting is the most balanced one next to super turbo

>super
yeah okay, nigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0qYi2ueHg
>>
>>3760526
Balanced fighting games are fucking disgusting
>>
>>3760067
Frankly, I wouldn't call that obsession.

I think Capcom realized that WW–Turbo games were what most people remembered from arcades and consoles. But at the same time, they realized they were flawed. So they simply made a quick port of Turbo for XBL, since for most people it's pretty much "SF2 with all characters, more moves and speed choice". But for Super Turbo, Capcom did a whole remake + accurate port in the form of HD Remix.

Super Turbo remains a standard of competitive SF2 play all over the world. Hyper Fighting is just normie's SF2 with all the bonuses, a sort of SF2 complete/deluxe.
>>
File: 90's kid.jpg (50KB, 460x681px) Image search: [Google]
90's kid.jpg
50KB, 460x681px
>>3759330
OP, my favorite actually turns out to be the championship edition for the Genesis. Now I know some may gripe that while playing it with the traditional 3 button controller is laughable because you had to press start to alternate between kick and punch stances. Being a guy who was lucky enough to even have a Genesis, I was pleased with whichever controllers I had. And thus only having the 3 button, you really get to experience a different kind of strategy when playing friends in Vs. The incorporation of the start button into your rhythm adds a strategic element of splicing in starts into combo-ing. While not a perfect arcade repro, it unintentionally creates a new rhythm from the original arcade. A small paradigm shift.
>>
>>3761130
the MEGADRIVE version is closer to the CPS1 version than either PC-engine or the snes one. Especially the snes sf2 feels like an entirely different game with its stiff animations and missing combos.
MD version only sounds like shit because capcom fucked the audio driver up. Thank you capcom.

I think part of the appeal with street fighter is that these games aren't balanced. None of the SFII games are balanced.
>>
Hyper Fighting is better than Super Turbo simply because of Vega.
>>
>>3760447
derp
>>
>>3761274
>the MEGADRIVE version is closer to the CPS1 version than either PC-engine or the snes one
Really? I'm struggling to cast my mind back, but I thought the SNES versions were always the closest
>>
>>3761478
snes has post KO animations missing, snes has different remixed music, snes has the cps1 chain combos missing, snes has the entire intro missing, snes has lots of animations missing that makes the game feel a little stiff, not necessarily in a really bad way, but it sure feels different from the cps1 game. On the bright side snes SF2 has more onscreen colors and the voice samples don't sound as fucked up as in the MD version.
>>
Meter is cancer.

Vega is cancer.

All hail Hyper Fighting.
>>
File: IMAG0236.jpg (702KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0236.jpg
702KB, 2560x1440px
>>3761478
People jerk off to the super Nintendo that's why
Sega is better
>>
>>3761130
>>3761274
looked and sounded like shit
>>
>>3759330
champion edition, best version before they gimped everything
>>
>>3759450

>NekuyrooohS

I always heard 'Shoryuken'.
>>
>>3762062
Explain
>>
>>3761796
cause that's what matters in a competitive fighting game, right retard?
>>
>>3759424
I agree with you completely except Ken>Akuma>Ryu
>>
>>3763318
over your head or troll?
>>
Friendly reminder that if you don't think Hyper Fighting is the peak of the entire SF2 series, you should stop pretending to be playing fighting games
>>
>>3765000
Super meter ruined fighting games.
>>
>>3765000
>>3765116
my fucking niggas

CE is good too
>>
>>3765116
It can be a good mechanic.
But there has not been a Single SF game which used it well.
>>
File: 2012-11-28 09.49.30.jpg (297KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-28 09.49.30.jpg
297KB, 1600x1200px
Hey guys, can I play too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcBDgaSWFI
>>
>>3765698
Sure you can
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.