[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you say are the top 3 hardest retro games in existence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Battletoads.png (174KB, 220x303px) Image search: [Google]
Battletoads.png
174KB, 220x303px
What would you say are the top 3 hardest retro games in existence?

Things to keep in mind when making your decision,

>Does it have infinite credits or does game over mean it's back to the start?
>Is it a long or a short game?
>Does it have many random elements?
>>
>>3755652
can't think of anything really... I remember having a hard time playing a late 90s game called Rage of Mages 2, I kept dying so many times on that game that I used to make jokes with my firends about it... fuck. It was sorta of action RPG, not such a complex system but something in between playing, let's say Diablo and Baldur's Gate, with some Warcraft like graphics.
>>
There are too many hard games out there, Battletoads isn't even top 10.

I'd nominate Tower of Druaga for arcades
>>
>>3755652
Probably Nethack. There are harder rougelikes, but not a lot of harder genuinely retro ones.
>>
I don't think Ikari Warriors is feasible to beat without cheating.
>>
>>3755652
Battletoads is over rated as being hard
>>
>>3757770
Okay hipster.
>>
>>3757780

that anon was correct though. either way, how would that make him a hipster?
>>
>>3757791
Battletoads' difficulty is appropriately rated. Calling it easy is pure /vr/ hipster talk that kids spew because they think it makes them sound cool.
>>
Battletoads is hard, but there are many harder games. I would agree it is somewhat over rated as being hard
>>
Ninja Gaiden?
>>
>>3755652
Battletoads is hard while being somewhat fair. Once you memorize a few parts and get used to the controls it gets better.

I don't think dated, poorly implemented, impossible-to-predict, confusing games should really be counted as the "hardest" because they're hard more out of bad production and sadistic design than anything.

Battletoads is really hard and sometimes unpredictable but never unfair to the extent of being impossible. It's hard instead of unfair.
>>
>>3758291
NG isn't too bad until you get to the final stage. Then it becomes sadism.
>>
>>3757796
I disagree. Most people freak out about the turbo tunnels when that is one of the easier stages in the game
>>
File: superstarwars_games.jpg (58KB, 440x316px) Image search: [Google]
superstarwars_games.jpg
58KB, 440x316px
These games are killing me. I am also very bad at Gradius type games or Kontra.
But i can easily beat Super Ghouls n Ghosts.
I even like the controls of the Star Wars games but hell something about them is really hard.
Especially no save option.
>>
>>3758665
I tried to like those games but something about them is off.
>>
>>3758665
>>3758713
It's because your character's sprite is fucking huge in relation to the size of the screen. You don't have a lot of space to maneuver your huge ass sprite from the tiny projectiles everywhere.
>>
>>3756116
I fucking loved that game
It taught me that, if I'm about to die, to throw my grenades
"Don't die with your grenades" has become a guiding principle of my life
>>
>>3758648
Let me see if I understand the argument you're making. You think the game's difficulty is over-rated because it gets much harder after the stage that makes most people rage-quit?
>>
>>3758497
I'm not the best retro gamer and I can be ng in 15 mins
>>
>>3760035
Hopefully you're exaggerating. That game takes about 40 minutes to complete unless you're a speed runner and exploiting things in the game.
>>
>>3761480

nah, that anon is right... I can beat it in less than 20 minutes fairly easily and I'm no speed runner.

btw speed runners beat NG1 in less than 12mins, the current WR is 11:40 and was set earlier this month -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1JdU486Rc
>>
>>3761557
Well I must suck then because it takes me over 30 minutes.=(
>>
tiny toons on nes is pretty brutal, also ninja gaiden of course
>>
all those jump n' run games (including stuff like kaizo mario) are not even worth mentioning when bullet hell or rhythm games exist...it's just madness !
>>
File: giphy (23).gif (85KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (23).gif
85KB, 500x488px
>>3759973
Good advice
Take this...
>>
>>3758713
Empire Strikes back is awesome because there are so many different game modes crammed in there, platforming, jetpacks, flying, shooting, racing, even if one particular mode doesn't stand out on it's own, the fact that there is such a large variety of game play in one game is just amazing
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.