[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you played Panzer Dragoon Saga? I've completed it recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: PDS.jpg (121KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PDS.jpg
121KB, 1440x1080px
Have you played Panzer Dragoon Saga? I've completed it recently and it's still on my mind. Very short game, and some of the dungeons felt like they dragged on a little bit, but there's really something special here. The combat is absolutely tremendous too, I love how if you strategize correctly, you can absolutely destroy bosses with incredibly risky strategies. Makes it very satisfying to find those little parts to exploit and just chain ridiculous sums of damage on a boss, extremely satisfying too.

What did you think of it? Any favorite parts? How about the soundtrack, which song sticks to you most?
>>
>>3755342
I have it on my back log for a longer time, feel like I need to finish Panzer Dragoon 2 before playing it.
I ordered PD2 recently and played Saga until I finished disc 1, loving it so far.
>>
>>3755342
As a guy that's not big into rpgs I loved it. The battle system was very engaging and never became boring. The art direction of all the Panzer games(especially saga) are my favorite if all time. Music was great, story was decent, and graphical for a Saturn game it looked fantastic.

I only have 3 gripes and they are small. The game is short. Perfect length for plowing thru on a weekend but I always wanted more. It's easy especially after the first play thru. Wish they could of added a hard mode. Most magic other than looking pretty is useless.

It's still one of my all time favorite games and I just wish more people could try it out. Its a shame they lost the source code and that the current price for a complete copy of Saga is stupidly high.

My rating:
11/10
>>
>>3755356
I really liked the length, it didn't feel stupidly long at any point. It didn't feel like "well, we need to save the world but this local farm where they raise oversized chickens sure is something!" There's a real sense of urgency in its delivery. It's short but wraps itself up extremely neatly. I have to disagree about magic, however, the high level berserks are extremely useful. It was really nice having every boss pretty much be something you need to learn rather than dump your most powerful attacks into, they were very strategic. I can't really think of a single fight in this game that's just spam ultra attack until it dies.
>>
>>3755359
>short length
I didn't "mind" that it was short. It was a decent length but after playing what I think is 11/10 game I just wanted more.

>magic
Berserk was fine. What I'm getting at is that 80% of the spells you learn are a waste of time and do less damage compared to just sticking with your gun + homing laser. The only spells I remember using often were berserk(when it built up), shield, and heal.
>>
>>3755368
they do about the same damage, actually, higher tier ones do more damage but require more resources. I don't think you're giving enough credit to the balance of the game, berserk's also allow you to exploit enemy weaknesses, more of which are vulnerable, and as far as I know, none of which are invulnerable to it.
>>
>>3755342
One of my favorite rpg's. Always got a kick out of some of the 2D graphics being exposed during camera pans. Replayed it a few years back & noticed a few minor differences as the game plot progressed. Looking up online to discover there were several side quests I'd never completed in either playthrough. Atolm's battle music always stood out for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qia3_eyLNpk
>>
Between the short length and the breakable combat you can definitely feel how it was an end-of-life game for Saturn but the brilliance is also unmistakable.

It's one of the top games that I think would benefit tremendously from some reverse-cheat-codes i.e. action replay codes that nerf some of your attacks or just make enemies have double HPs or something. There's a lot of exploration that's easily skipped and it would feel more necessary if you were more forced to grind plus you would actually be forced to fully realize the combat abilities to make it to the end,which is where most of the magic is at.

The game actually has cheat device detection but iirc there's a code that will disable it.

reverse cheat codes are a thing I've long wanted to work on developing but I just haven't had the time, it's a shame. There are lots of games out there that would be better if they were just a little bit harder but it seems like modern gamers feel the opposite and would probably get more enjoyment out of code that just made the games play themselves.
>>
I'm on disk 3 so far, seems OK but not amazing. Combat is quite different but doesn't take much thought to figure out (unless there's still more game mechanics that haven't been introduced yet). Story is okay but the writing isn't great. Random battles are boring, once you figure out the solution (first battle) they're just a chore.
>>
>>3755342
Played through the first disc on emulator but it didn't want to load the 2nd disc. Accidentally wiped my save when I tried to fix the problem.

From what I played, it was fun. Battle system was interesting and I enjoyed the battle music. A bit on the easy side, but it's not really an issue. It's relaxing but not to the point where it gets boring.
>>
>The combat is absolutely tremendous
can't agree. it gets boring very fast and it's far too easy. 'dungeons' are a chore, especially the underground of uru. that part where you have to follow the same path many times to get all the items is a joke.
i was kinda disappointed by the plot and characters too. and graphics are quite ugly even compared to the previous panzer dragoons.
you're right about the fact that this game is special though. it has its own identity, especially visually.
>>
>>3756034
2nd disk on emuparadise is corrupted, you have to correct the errors in some little program of which i forgot the name. you should finish it, it's worth it
>>
>>3755342
I played it through a few times, had an original copy too but sold it.

It's a shame that it is so short, for a 4cd game that does not even use prerecorded audio, you would really expect a lot more. There's also very little post-game content, nor any rewards for doing something like getting GREAT! ranks on all enemies, or getting 100% map coverage. PD Zwei gave you fully unlocked Pandora's Box if you got 100% shoot down ratio. Saga gives you... nothing.

On the up side, the worlds are EXTREMELY detailed. You can practically check every bottle on the shelf of a store one by one. It also has very good graphics, detailed texturing, lightning effects, detailed world with a lot of flashbacks to PD Zwei's story, and the unique art direction that works so great with the low poly graphics.

The dragon morphing must've been a bitch to code.
>>
>>3756053
Every line of dialog in the game is voiced, what do you mean no pre-recorded audio, the music?
>>
I've completed it and it did live up to the hype,love the dystopian atmosphere
>>
>>3755342
Played it through about 2 years ago. The length is perfect, this is how JRPG's should be if you cut out all the padding and grinding. Actually it could have been slightly shorter coz one of the dungeons really drags on, i think it was on disc 3.
>>
>>3755342
I played thefirst game. I thought it was poor
>>
>>3755356
>games(especially saga)
>>
>>3756025
I really liked some of the story moments throughout the game, but I've found everything comes full circle and is recontextualized in a really interesting way.

>>3757868
try zwei. PD is a kick ass rail shooter, but I think you really have to like the genre for it to click completely. Zwei has a great story, very different feel to its shooting and movement, and introduces some really well done character growth. Saga is an RPG, so in that regard its totally different from everything else.

>>3757017
I think the length really took me by surprise when I was 2 hours and change into the first disc and was prompted to put in disc 2. Very good game ultimately.
>>
>tfw PD is a dead franchise

If you want proof that the industry has lost anything remotely approaching soul, look no further. PDO was a great end to the franchise, but it's always left me feeling sad and a bit bitter that such a rich franchise was left in the dust. And for what, shit like Sonic Boom? No thanks Sega.
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon-Orta.jpg (195KB, 1199x720px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon-Orta.jpg
195KB, 1199x720px
>>3759902
My only wish is that PDO and PDS would get ported to the PC tbqh. Give these games the longevity that such a masterpiece deserves. Everything about those games was magical. I honestly wish they were still being made, but at the same time I'm glad they were spared a harsh death like the Sonic games, where each game is monumentally shittier than the previous one . At least the Panzer Dragoon series died peacefully in its sleep.
>>
>>3755356
>they could of
>>
>>3756064
>Every line of dialog in the game is voiced, what do you mean no pre-recorded audio, the music?

Only the story-driving cutscenes are voiced. Most of the time you talk to people in town is not.

And yeah, the music. It's all chip tunes, none of it was pre-recorded, other than the vocal ending (which is very beautiful btw).
>>
It has my favorite soundtrack of all time. My friend had the game when it came out it was then that I first heard the Atolm Dragon fight theme, fell in love with the music at that very moment.
>>
>>3762249
At least do bump with an image.
>>
Total shot in the dark here, but would anyone happen to have any SSF save files for Saga? I'm working on something and need to grab some screenshots from places after disc 1 but I dont quite feel like spending a bunch of time playing on emulator just to get them.
>>
>>3763096
Okay
>>
Can someone illuminate for me the significance of the ending of Panzer Dragoon Zwei? When your dragonrider enters the downed imperial warship and finds what seems to be a dragon mural. I haven't played Panzer Dragoon Orta, so I may be missing out on some lore.
>>
>>3755342
Maybe if mednafen-saturn turns out well I'll take the whole saga off my backlog... Been there for the longest time as the game looks and sounds interesting.
>>
>>3763729
Played through on version .10 prototype. Saves are from near end game disc 4. https://my.mixtape.moe/wrhssr.zip
>>
> you have to correct the errors in some little program of which i forgot the name
I'm just curious if anyone knows the name of the program or what I should search on google in order to get a hit on the program, because I'm having the same problem with my second disc from emuparadise
>>
>>3762335
All the Panzer Dragoon games have amazing music, even the non-retro Orta
>>
how do you get the SSF Saturn emulator to work? I can't get it to read the mounted disc.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.