[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't SEGA ever get credit for having created the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Daytona-USA-1.jpg (98KB, 700x433px) Image search: [Google]
Daytona-USA-1.jpg
98KB, 700x433px
Why doesn't SEGA ever get credit for having created the first modern 3D games? Virtua Racing comes out in August 1992, exactly one year later Daytona USA hits the market.

Stuff like ultima underworld doesn't count since its not fully 3D with its animated bitmap opponents.

So chaps, where is your SEGA?
>>
File: irobot.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
irobot.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>3753875
Are you retarded? Did you mean polygonal games? Then have you ever heard of I, Robot?
>>
File: racedrivg.png (19KB, 508x384px) Image search: [Google]
racedrivg.png
19KB, 508x384px
>>3753875
Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>3753998
That game fucked me up as a kid. We had one at our arcade that had a cabinet with a chair that you sat it and as a kid I thought that the physics in the game were how cars actually handled. I had nightmares about trying to drive and nothing responding and it made my scared of learning to drive.
>>
>>3754004
I played this cab yesterday and was surprised how realistic it was,can't believe it even has a clutch
>>
>>3753875
somebody needs to watch Tron
>>
>>3754004
That is a really common dream, but kind of unique to have had it before ever sitting behind the wheel of an actual car.

Now that I say that though, I do remember having a recurring dream as a little kid about sitting in the back seat of my parents' car while it was moving with no driver. Those dreams weren't like the "I'm driving the car but I can't stop/steer/control it" dreams though. Not scary, just weird.
>>
>>3753963
>>3753998
none of this crap has textures or looks very modern or advanced in any way. Go home!
>>
>>3754367
>none of this crap has textures or looks very modern or advanced in any way
The same applies to Virtua Racing, faggot. Stunts was released in 1990 and it has even a track editor.
>>
Sega didn't technically invent 3D in games, but their contributions were absolutely critical to the industry. Virtua Racing destroyed everything that was available at the time thanks to rich and smooth visuals, and great gameplay. They proved 3D wasn't just a gimmick. Daytona and Sega Rally took that even further later on, and Daytona still kinda prints money in the arcades even to this day - albeit a lot more slowly than when it blew everyone's mind in the 90s.

The work done on animations was impressive as well. Virtua Fighter changed the genre forever, and was the key starting point of a lot of 3D games using a skeleton-based model for character animations.

And, heck, if Sony succeeded with the Playstation brand as well, that's because they saw what Sega was doing and wanted to match the experiences on their home console. Would it be for just Nintendo's influence, the Play Station would only be a CD addon for the SNES bringing absolutely no additional hardware to the base console.
>>
>>3753875
>Why doesn't SEGA ever get credit for having created the first modern 3D games?

But they do? Sega is still remembered as an arcade ace, and the Virtua games (Racing, Fighter, Striker, etc) are still well remembered.
Daytona USA is still guaranteed to have people playing it if any arcade has the machines.
In my country there were still Daytona tournaments up until the mid 00s.
>>
File: winning+run+suzuka+grand+prix.jpg (342KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
winning+run+suzuka+grand+prix.jpg
342KB, 1000x656px
iirc Winning Run was released earlier than Virtua Racing
>>
>>3754382
Stunts was cool, mostly for the track editor and the, at the time, impressive polygonal graphics.
Virtua Racing on arcades was mind blowing, it actually felt like you were piloting a f1 machine. Stunts has ass gameplay and slideshow framerate. Even the port of Virtua Racing on Genesis blows Stunts away.
Yes, Stunts did it first and it entertained many people, but Virtua Racing was when 3D racing got real.
>>
>>3754395
>Virtua Fighter changed the genre forever

And yet SF5 today plays like SF2 twenty five years ago, minus the graphics and the extra attacks/supers.
>>
>>3754430
I didn't know this game, it looks amazing.
Pretty funny because this is like bizarro /vr/, usually we have these kind of "X didn't do it first" with Nintendo, not Sega.
Still you can't deny Sega pushed the bar too high with their early to mid 90s 3D arcade games.
>>
>>3754432
>it actually felt
Noone cares about your feelings. You was confronted with facts and thrown them away like nonexistent because they dont match your feels.
>>
File: justice-league-task-force-05.png (112KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
justice-league-task-force-05.png
112KB, 640x480px
>>3754436
yeah right like this compared to today right?
>>
>>3754440

nah, both WR and VR are amazing, really wish to see more low poly racing games around
>>
>>3754440
pushed the bar too high? They worked with SGI to do groundbreaking 3D gaming, and for that they deserve some incredible praise. Shame the home versions were less than stellar with some of those games.
>>
>>3753875
>Why doesn't SEGA ever get credit for having created the first modern 3D games?
Except they do get props, Virtua Racing was even featured in the Smithsonian museum (a museum dedicated solely to Americana, mind you)

That being said, >>3753998 is right Atari did it first anyways, Namco also had Winning Run before Virtua Racing. Sega was just the one who had the fastest 3D graphics
>>
>>3754569
>the Smithsonian museum
Which Smithsonian museum?

>a museum dedicated solely to Americana
Some of them are, some of them aren't
>>
Ok so.... namco has winning run in 89. But has anyone a fully textured commercial game out before august 93?
>>
>>3754310
I remember trying to play it whilst guilty of being 8. It said to press the clutch and turn the key to start which I'd do, then I'd release the clutch causing it to stall. I did this over and over again until the timer ran out. Later on someone explained how cars worked and I felt pretty stupid. Never played it again.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.