[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In an alternate universe where Nintendo released more than 10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: overpriced meme emulator.png (58KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
overpriced meme emulator.png
58KB, 640x443px
In an alternate universe where Nintendo released more than 10 units per of these per continent, how do you think these would have affected prices in the retro game market?

I think it might have lowered prices a bit especially seeing how 90% of bandwagon retro collectors just want a cool looking box to show off to their friends to play old games on
>>
File: 1478884081598.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1478884081598.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3753158
All I wanted was the pad to play MM9 and MM10 on Wii with.

Guess i'll settle for a converter.
>>
>>3753190
>never properly played a Megaman before
>NES Classic comes in
>inject Megaman 1-6
>play and finish them all

Need to play 9 and 10 now. Are 7 and 8 worth playing ?
>>
>>3753198
>inject Megaman 1-6
So hacking the nes mini has become a thing?
>>
>>3753229
yes, and it's easy as fuck
https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/FAQ
>>
>>3753234
Holy shit, this is amazing. Thanks anon!
>>
>>3753198
>Need to play 9 and 10 now

Yes you do.

>Are 7 and 8 worth playing ?

Not really but you can play Rockman 7 and 8 FC, fan made "demakes" in NES style. I enjoyed those more than the originals.
>>
>>3753264
neato, thanks
>>
>>3753158
They definitely should have made about 10 million of these things. There have been $20-30 SEGA and Atari versions of these things for years now, and the hipster Internet demand isn't exactly on fire for those.
>>
File: title.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
title.png
4KB, 256x240px
>>3753264
Anyone know if the "Rockman & Forte FC" demake is still being worked on?

https://www23.atwiki.jp/rockmanforte/pages/21.html
>>
>>3753505
>FireCores and Famiclone Ataris are the same as the HD emubox that is the NES mini
>Those Genesis and Atari clones are the reason their market is smaller than for the NES
>Producing more NES emuboxes would affect the NES collector market (also the thread topic)
That's a lot of ignorance to cram into one post

No. If anything the NES mini will only inflame the collector market. The artificial scarcity is a freaking Nintendo trademark. They're going to use it and the mobile game buzz to attempt to roll onto the Switch. Expect to see the Switch marketed directly to the people who wanted an NES mini but couldn't get one. Of Nintendo is smart they'll produce one of those slide in half controllers that's almost identical to an NES controller ala the 8bitdo ones, and I wouldn't be surprise of they offered early Switch adopters a virtual console NES pack that closely approximates the ROMs on the NES Mini.
>>
>>3753158
As it has been shown time and time again, re-releases never affect the value of originals. Remember when everybody thought Earthbound being on the Virtual Console would destroy the second hand market? LOL

I don't think many people who were looking at picking up an old NES thought the NES Classic would be a suitable replacement. They're different markets.
>>
I managed to order one the other day when they were in stock, but I plan on ebaying it and using the ~$100 difference to fill out my NES collection

Is this the right thing to do? Should I hold onto it for longer?
>>
>>3753743
Chances are they'll be widely available within the next 3 months so yeah I would sell it asap

i made $500 over the holiday break lol
>>
>>3753158
Meh, I'm not feeling driven to envision much of anything happening from just that, you know?

Maybe if they included the classic Contra, one more Megaman, Dragon Warrior 3 or 4, Heavy Barrel and Little Samson.

Or if they intentionally avoided localizing it at least partly, and included translations of Final Fantasy 3, maybe the Lost Levels, Lagrange point and a few others.

And maybe if they preserved the cartridge insertion experience, and had the game selection split up across 3 or 4 tiny cartridges each with a smaller menu. Of course, this would allow people to look forward to a 5th cartridge available eventually, and maybe even a 6th one.
>>
>>3753747
I hope you're right. I want one of those damn controllers for my wii already.
>>
>>3753747
What makes you say they will be available over the next 3 months?
>>
>>3753234
It's easy, sure, but you also need to remember that the number of games you have and keep your system working is limited to a bunch of other little factors, like number of save slots, weather or not you removed the original 30 games, weather or not you deleted the thumbnails, ect. ect.
>>
>>3754951
Not him, but history shows that eventually Nintendo sufficiently resupplying their products combined with the fad dying down in general. The most recent example are amiibos - at one point many were getting resold for as high as $60, now almost all of them are available at retailers for normal cost.

That said, I think 3 months is still overly optimistic and it'll be more like next Summer before the NES classic becomes commonplace in stores.
>>
>>3753505

Tell me more about the Atari and Sega ones. Are the game selections good? If not, can they be modded to include more?
>>
>>3754969
Fuck i remember when game stores were importing japanese amiibos just to meet supply demands

Now these days there are shelves filled to the brim with those fuckers. Is anyone really still collecting them?

It's not like they're marketed towards dumb retard children like skylanders and lego dimensions are. 90% of the people i've seen buy them are 20 or older
>>
>>3754972
The atari and sega ones are usually filled to the brim with every good and shitty game that came out on their respective consoles, but they've been pumping those shits out since the early 2000s and practically everyone knows that they're a grab with shitty emulation and shitty hardware which is why they're only like $30

I'll give the NES mini credit where it's due and and admit that at least the NES mini does have some level of quality control compared to every ATGAMES box ever made
>>
>>3755159

I only buy them as collectables, and only the characters I like. There's still some that I want, but I stopped caring some time ago, I have the most important ones anyway, and the fact that no game uses them meaningfully doesn't make me feel like I should scoop up the remaining ones I want in any hurry.
>>
>>3755163
Yeah Nintendo definitely made a mistake with the whole amiibo concept

They saw that dumb kids were eating up disney infinite and Skylanders and thought "hey, we can milk that cash cow too!" not realising most kids these days don't care about nintendo and so the majority of people who bought them were just adults who wanted to collect them.

The demand for them on launch plus the laughably small initial supply made it look like there was a larger market for them then there really was and now they just collect dust in most places i see them

I don't hate amiibos but i definitely think that Nintendo should have just gone all out and released a line of officially licensed figures instead of trying to incorporate it into their games
>>
>>3755159
I've only just recently started collecting them specifically because the fad has finally died down. Much like >>3755163 I only go after the characters I want. If you're patient and diligent, you can find some damn fine deals on them. Like a couple weeks back Walmart's site had Gannondorf for just $4.
>>
>>3753158

It should have had a RF video transfer cable inside that connects to a RF-HDMI converter as its video output

> by default makes the video signal crap before its even sent to the monitor so that you get a true retro feel
>>
>>3753158
If anything it would have driven prices up. It would have exposed more people the NES games and generated demand for the >9000 games not included in the console.
inb4 muh grandma is gonna haxor it

>>3753681
>everybody
No. But I remember when some retarded kids though that. In reality it had the opposite effect.

>>3755159
>20 year olds can't be dumb retard children
kek
>>
>>3753190
>2 days ago
I don't care. I'm still mad that not even the controllers have been restocked anywhere.
>>
>>3753198

>Properly played
>With an emulator

If playing them with an emulator is considered proper then what is improperly playing them?
>>
>>3756530
>the controllers have been restocked anywhere
Wait, they have? Because a controller is all I want
>>
>>3756547
>not even the controllers
>>
>>3756553
My bad. Guess I read what I wanted to see.
>>
>>3756541
Play with inferior cartridges.
>>
>>3753158
fuck the nes mini. Buy real carts like a man
>>
>>3753158
>how do you think these would have affected prices in the retro game market?

Not at all. The people who buy those generally aren't collectors.
>>
>>3753190
>All I wanted was the pad
I will never understand this sentiment. The love for that pad is nothing but nostalgia. It was revolutionary at the time, but not only is it outdated now, it has an official, improved counterpart from almost 25 years ago. Pic related.

But they didn't use that design because it's less iconic, even though it is infinitely more ergonomic. One of the Wii classic controllers would be much more comfortable.
>>
>>3753158
No, because it still only comes with 30 games and can't be expanded without hacking, which no matter how easy it is, normies and casuals will never do.

Besides, the retro game market is mostly driven by hipsters and collectors who don't actually want to play the games, they just want to put them on a shelf for retro nerd cred.
>>
File: gravis pc game pad.jpg (14KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
gravis pc game pad.jpg
14KB, 300x280px
>>3757783
I have to take issue with that, that gamepad shape is, *on the whole*, pretty iconic.
-snes controller
-that 2nd nes pad
-gravis gamepad (and CDi controller, though maybe we'd prefer to forget), which did cleverly exploit the crudeness of the design for ambidexterity
It would be an extremely appropriate kind of pad for a raspberry pi.
>>
>>3757783
There is literally nothing wrong with the stock NES pad. If you think there is, you're holding it the wrong way.
>>
>>3757783

The positioning of a and b is all fucked on the dog bone controller.
>>
>>3757783
>infinitely more ergonomic
What kind of weird joints does your thumb have?
>>
File: powergrips.jpg (553KB, 1111x1484px) Image search: [Google]
powergrips.jpg
553KB, 1111x1484px
>>3757783
dogbone sucks, og controller with grips is better
>>
>>3758938
I like that graph which is unlabeled and has no actual data backing it up.
>>
>>3755161
Atari Flashback 2 wasn't an emulation box though. As far as I know it's the only one to actually use the original 2600 architecture.
>>
>>3758947
Technically, it says it has double the grip, since the arrow is twice the size.
>>
Could you theoretically remove the cable from the new controller, and connect it to a dogbone controller?
>>
File: docsfixapad1.jpg (63KB, 751x850px) Image search: [Google]
docsfixapad1.jpg
63KB, 751x850px
>>3758947
It's like holding a genesis controller, but your thumb can hit B+A very naturally. Also gives you some space between you and the dpad, making it easier to use too. And if that weren't enough, it's perfect for controllers that have had the screw mounts obliterated from turning the controller into a flying object, as they slide over and encase the controller. As a kid I beat the fuck out of my NES controllers and this, along with this were the best investments anyone could buy.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.