[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my imagination and older games seems better than modern games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: nostalgia.jpg (13KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.jpg
13KB, 350x233px
Is my imagination and older games seems better than modern games except by graphics.

All modern games seems like too focused on selling me a shit hollywood movie or anime with garbage story and 500 hours of trash.

What happened to the glory days of arcade gaming?

Or am I simply a stupid 27 year old nostalgiafag looming for ancient games.

I dunno, for my part it seems games from the 70-80 have some kind of no BS, this is you, this is your enemy, don't BS story attached, no emotional BS I don't care, no politics about race or gay or female being represented, just gold gameplay.

Pacman has no BS, no casual shit, no micro transactions, you play, you get good or die, nothing complex, and has better design and better AI than modern games.

I can't simply care about games with BS stories about hollywood crap or anime or manchild fantasy or sci fi shit, I rather read literature if I need a story.
>>
Another anon posted this some time ago, and I thought it was an interesting view on the use of the word "nostalgia":

>you know, people tend to misunderstand how nostalgia works.

>Nostalgia is indeed similar to a drug, in the sense that, undoubtely, something you thought you had forgotten can trigger a chemical in your brain, which causes the nostalgia effect.
But nostalgia is not playing games you liked as a kid.
For example, if I play Contra every now and then, and remember it every now and then, it's not nostalgia, I'm just thinking and playing a game I genuinely like.

>Nostalgia is the feeling of suddenly seeing or remembering something you actually haven't seen or think about in years, or decades. That's what causes nostalgia.
Liking a game from your childhood is not, it means you genuinely like it and that's it.

>Nostalgia doesn't actually have to do with liking a thing or not, you might remember something you were kind of indifferent as a kid (like a shitty pop song from the radio you haven't heard in decades), but it still might trigger you nostalgia because you associate it with your childhood. But you might not necessarily like it, or listen to it again later, you just have a spontaneous nostalgia trip, and that's it.

tl;dr what happens to you isn't "nostalgia", you just like old style games better.
>>
>>3752145
I discovered emulation when I was 15 in 2005, so I couldn't play older games IRL.
>>
>>3752137
>nostalgiafag
No. Just another kid trying to be special with muh "im so retro new games make me physically ill OMG why don't modern developers understand me" shit. It was sad the first time it was posted and is now only sadder and older.
>>
>>3752324
Nostalgia or not you cannot deny that the gaming industry today is MUCH more bloated today than it was for gens 3,4,5, and part of 6. Can't comment on gaming pre-gen 3 since I didn't really play much of it aside from frogger and some tank game on the colecovision.
>>
>>3752137

If you like gaming in its purest form and you have good reflexes, a lot of patience and a lot of spare time, then yes, most old games are better. For you.

Modern games have a lot of capabilities that old games don't have, but if you're not interested in realistic simulations or plot, and if you don't mind losing all your progress and starting over every time you lose all your lives, they don't really have any advantages, for you.
>>
>>3752137
You need to stop playing shitty games, that's your problem
>>
>>3752353
And by bloated do you mean delivering what modern gamers want or that the ROMs are too big to download on your old school AOL dialup connection? lol. I always get a giggle out of underage try hard wannabe hard core retro gamers who've actually deluded themselves into believing that modern games can't be good. Because muh retro cred. If you weren't so insecure and determined to prove yourself to some basement trolls on a gook toon image board you'd probably enjoy gaming a lot more.
>>
>>3752137
People lowered their standards, and instead put unrealistic requirements on their games.

So they got surreal trash.

>better games
One thing that modern games allow for is More of what made (good) retro games good.

That being more content, more replayability.

But it rarely does that BECAUSE of the unrealistic requirements on games to fill up all that fucking content with 1000+ pix texture maps, laying 50 fucking shaders on something, and making levels outrageously complex.

So what happened was MMOs became the Kings of content by having shittier graphics generally speaking but having tons more maps for it.

But because of their emphasis they're still shitty games because now instead of providing good content, they provide droning and grinding for money or XP . . . its a Big pile of stuff but its just crap.
>>
>>3752561
Why are you on this board?
>>
>>3752561
Quit being a faggot and leave.

>>3752137
I play games because they are fun, it doesn't matter if they are new or old. That doesn't mean I eat up the shit that some developers make today, I play what looks fun and don't get outraged when I'm disappointed. Same goes for old games. I dont go out and buy a complete NES collection so I can beat every single game the system has, I play the games that look fun, and if they game isn't fun, oh well, I'll just turn of the console and find another.

I do semi agree about your statement about politics in games nowadays, that does get annoying when playing a game that is fun but the story or characters pander to a demographic for no real plot or gameplay gain, other than 'muh equality'
>>
>>3752137
>except by graphics.

Stopped reading there. This shows that you still fall for the "higher technical capabilities = more beautiful" meme that publishers and hardware makers want everyone to believe so they keep buying their new shits at the high price.
>>
>>3753143
Because I've been here long before the in/v/asion.
>>
File: 1417394227532.jpg (46KB, 624x464px) Image search: [Google]
1417394227532.jpg
46KB, 624x464px
>>3752137
>All modern games seems like too focused on selling me a shit hollywood movie or anime with garbage story and 500 hours of trash.
Stop playing shit games.
>What happened to the glory days of arcade gaming?
Quarter munching became DLC.
>no politics about race or gay or female being represented,
Oh, you.
>and has better design and better AI than modern games.
"No"

And judging by your post you're not even conveniently skipping over all those old games full of the same shit you hate in today's games, like, the entirety of point and clicks like Kyrandia or MI, I'm pretty sure you're not even aware of their existence.

You complain about DLC and microtransactions when arcades as a whole were/are arguably a worse practice, made it even worse by appealing to street cred and peer pressure as to justify bullshit game design in order to eat more quarters.

You complain about casual shit but of course you don't mention all the tons of absolute casual, garbage shovelware like basically the entire Ocean portfolio and a lot of japanese games too, but again, you probably don't know anything about this.

You say there's no politics or other stuff involved when even simple shit like Castle Wolfenstein is inherently based around politics to begin with, let alone tons of other games.
And let's not forget about "games" like Dragon's Lair.

So yeah, enjoy Alley Cat or Uridium all you want, just don't pull off le ebin hardcore retro gamer rant about an era you know shit about and you never even experienced or bothered to actually explore, you only look like a poser and a tool.
>>
>>3754136
...what's wrong with Dragon's Lair?
>>
>>3752137
Good modern games exist, not every single modern game is Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty or League of Legends. You're one of those people that thinks all modern gaming is nothing but AAA shooters and cinematic garbage, and that all modern gaming can be found on the first page of the Xbox Live store. You're no better than the people that hate modern music because they think literally all modern music is Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. Quit being fucking lazy and search for good games, you'll find them. By the way, have you not noticed that a LOT of developers make new games in older styles? Maybe they would float your boat.
>>
>>3753876
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>3754313
Yes. I was here the first week the board stared. You only in/v/aded last summer.
>>
File: Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png (188KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png
188KB, 300x298px
>>3754136
>And judging by your post you're not even conveniently skipping over all those old games full of the same shit you hate in today's games
Modern games are just corridors with repetitive gameplay and excessive recycling of assets while having a small "gimmick" every now and then, shitty boss fights, and no consequences for dying.
>>
>>3754146
It's a QTE movie.
>>
>>3754689
And they also have dumbed down interfaces that let you do things with a single click. Back in my day if you wanted to move a unit, you had to click "select unit", double click the guy, click confirm, click move, double-click somewhere on screen (no scrolling allowed you fucking noob casual pig-fucking child molester go back to /v/ narf narf narf) and then click the "execute action" button but nooooooo fucking casualized it so you just click on the guy and click where you want.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>3754698
Forgot pic but it was Heroes of Might and Magic 1

And what's this fucking nickel-and-diming shit with DLCs? Older games NEVER did that at ANY point. Sure that $8 might give you an extra few hours of gameplay but this was most certainly NOT a thing back in the day, there has never been a well-known game with large amounts of expansions.
>>
File: E1_Text_screen.png (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
E1_Text_screen.png
48KB, 640x480px
>>3754705
Don't forget this "Hurr u hav 2 pay more 4 da true end" that was NEVER done in old games either. NEVER! Now it's fucking expected of all games and that's exactly what happens. Name ONE old game where you get to the end and it outright tells you what you have to do to get the rest of the game! That's right, you can't. Back in my day you could play a game from start to finish without being interrupted. Games nowadays are glorified demos.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (311KB, 719x799px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
311KB, 719x799px
>>3754710
Modern games are not playtested, and are regularly riddled with bugs and glitches that can be found on a casual playthrough some of which can cripple entire playthroughs if you somehow wind up finding out that your certain skill actually doesn't do a single thing. Older games were made by people who gave a fuck about the quality of their end product and meticulously studied every possible combination of actions to ensure that obvious problems didn't slip through the cracks allowing people to rip the entire game to pieces.
>>
>>3754718
And how often do you look at a game in a series and see that it runs on the exact same engine? That NEVER happened in older games either. Engines were not a thing back then and mechanics were never recycled across games or companies. Everything was completely new and rebuilt from the ground up. I mean, look at how Alien Isolation completely and unashamedly reuses the crafting system from The Last of Us! Every game back then was a new experience whenever it was Awesome Game 1 or Awesome Game 2.

Okay I'm done
>>
>>3754705
>On Holiday
>Livin' it Up
Get the hell out
>>
>>3752382
There you go with this meme again, how about you post some good modern games that can actually stand up to good older games and I won't call you a fucking joke that needs to go back to /v/
>>
>>3754728
Mark of the Ninja would be a good start.
>>
>>3754718
This is absolutely not true. Testing by outsiders didn't become common place until 5th/6th gen. Most games were only play tested by the devs which caused a lot of issues for game design.

Games and concepts are now extensively playtested but the focus is not to find bugs but to assess consumer reaction.

The bugs are a result of games being far more complex now and the industry working with my h higher budgets that put huge pressure to get games out by their deadlines.
>>
>>3754739
Duh. That's the point I was making.
>>
File: fritz-the-cat-duke-o.jpg (10KB, 128x129px) Image search: [Google]
fritz-the-cat-duke-o.jpg
10KB, 128x129px
>>3754136
>Stop playing shit games.
See >>3754728

>Quarter munching became DLC
Not even remotely the same you fuck, quarter munching only happens when you're not good at the game, DLC has nothing to do with skill level and is solely a revenue enhancing tactic

>Oh, you.
He's not wrong about games being politicized

>"No"
"Yes"

>judging by your post you're not even conveniently skipping over all those old games full of the same shit you hate in today's games, like, the entirety of point and clicks like Kyrandia or MI
The difference being, you fucking faggot, that those games were considered shit by people in their time, unlike today's garbage that's considered good

>You complain about DLC and microtransactions when arcades as a whole were/are arguably a worse practice, made it even worse by appealing to street cred and peer pressure as to justify bullshit game design in order to eat more quarters
Once again, they're not even remotely the same shit for brains. And arcades with poor game design were out the fucking door quickly. Arcades are a cutthroat industry where the slightest failure means your game is gonna get passed over for a better designed one because guess what - when you only have a few tokens you're gonna spend it on an actually good game instead of a shit game.

>You complain about casual shit but of course you don't mention all the tons of absolute casual, garbage shovelware like basically the entire Ocean portfolio and a lot of japanese games too, but again, you probably don't know anything about this.
And again, nobody's calling these games good faggot. That's the difference between then and now

>You say there's no politics or other stuff involved when even simple shit like Castle Wolfenstein is inherently based around politics to begin with
There's nothing political in castle wolfenstein, it's a stealth action game. But feel free to list these "tons of other games" that doesn't exist because video games were focused on actually being video games.
>>
>>3754759
>>judging by your post you're not even conveniently skipping over all those old games full of the same shit you hate in today's games, like, the entirety of point and clicks like Kyrandia or MI
>The difference being, you fucking faggot, that those games were considered shit by people in their time, unlike today's garbage that's considered good
PointNClicks were one of my favorite genres you cretin.
>>
>>3754765
Europe pls
>>
>>3754759
>DLC has nothing to do with skill level and is solely a revenue enhancing tactic
That's microtransactions.
>>
File: 26425476584.gif (3MB, 420x311px) Image search: [Google]
26425476584.gif
3MB, 420x311px
>>3754684
Just double-checking.
>>
>>3754136
>quarter muncher
The rallying cry of shit players. Git fucking gud, faggot.
>>
File: 335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg (81KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg
81KB, 1000x680px
>>3754684
I've been here since the board didn't allow 5th Gen and I can tell you that the shitposting, backseat moderation, autism, and general faggotry became a problem mere MONTHS after the board opened!
>>
>>3754759
>MI
>Shit
I'm trying to think about an appropriate torture method for you. Guess putting a flame thrower up your ass would be in proportion to your faggotry
>>
>>3754728
Ori and the Blind Forest was really good and so was Alien Isolation (even though it's way too long)
>>
Seeing as how this is /vr/, I'm going to tow the fucking party line: games after Dreamcast do not exist. Never Happened.

The gospel truth of gaming is to be found in the pages of Gamefan, brought down by the prophet Dave Halverson and disciples like Nick Rox.

Arcade games were manna from heaven, with technologies like vector graphics which still cannot be replicated without an XY CRT. "My God it's full of Asteroids". Instant gratification in seconds when you want a game and not a fucking movie. From Space Invaders to Virtua Fighter, the arcade is legend.

The words "Max 330 Mega Pro-Gear Spec" are to be held sacred, brought down from on high by the mythical SNK.
>>
>>3752324
You have to admit they are retardedly easier compared to games get 5 and below. Personally it's one of the reasons I can't get in to many modern games - I simply get bored.
>>
>>3755037
>games after Dreamcast do not exist.

Fuck off, are you gonna tell me then that Pit Fighter and Guardians of the Hood are better than OutRun 2 and After Burner Climax?
>>
>>3755126
I didn't make the rules, I just carry out the will of /vr/ gods.
>>
>>3754776
Thanks for sharing your shit opinion bro.
I'm sorry to hear you got assmad when people told you to stop shitposting your GBA. Mere MONTHS after the board opened a good thread might last nearly a month. Anyone who was here at the time would know that.
>>
>>3752137
>All modern games seems like too focused on selling me a shit hollywood movie
Not really a bad thing, but when the game turns out to be 90% videos and 10% gameplay (QTE don't count) It barely feels like a game anymore. Wich leads me to:
>500 hours of trash.
I think that's exactly the big point here.
Old games were shorter so gameplay mechanics becoming repetitive didn't get too noticeable. You could have 2 or 3 different gameplay styles alternating for 6 or 8 levels and everything felt fresh at the end of the day. With modern games you have the same 2 or 3 mechanics repeating more than onces on each one of 20 levels and start feeling boring really fast.

In my opinion modern games need to be shorter and that will fix everything
Shorter game, less time to shove movie clips on your face, so they need to work the story in the gameplay itself.
Shorter game, less repetitive stuff.
Shorter game, more difficulty to balance how long it takes you to beat it.
>>
>>3755078
Play ones that are actually difficult then. AKA most of them.
>>
>>3755078
Nah. Only thing I have to admit is that its possible you haven't personally experienced a difficult modern game and are unaware they exist. The corollary would be that you haven't personally experienced an easy old game and are unaware those exist as well.
There are simply far more games today targeting a much wider demographic. If you don't want a 3+ year old game for your iBabysitter then don't play one of those. But don't get assmad because candy crush isn't a hard core retro shooter.
>>
>>3756351
I've played more PSX games than I have any right to admit and the only ones I found to be difficult were Tomb Raider 3 and Vandal Hearts.
>>
Its just the retarded triple A game industry. Same with movie industry pumping out shitty blockbusters left and right. The more money things cost the shittier they'll usually turn out unless they come from a vision like dark souls.
>>
>>3756334
Name some.

>>3756351
Many older games required lightning fast reflexes and timing. Name some games that even compare in difficulty to Mario 3. Older games also didn't hold your hand the whole time. It seems now from start to finish you have tutorials and help from the game if you get stuck.

>>3756365
PSX games were easier on average than nes of course but I would argue, on average, they are more difficult than gen 7 or 8. In fact I can think of numerous games that got soft in one way or another from 5th to 7th gen. Twisted Metal and Resident Evil to name two. No longer in TM did you have to perform combos to do ancillary attacks. RE series is pretty obvious, but even REmake toned it down by telling you what rooms had items.
>>
>>3753184
But they spend millions on advertising alone. It must be good!
>>
>>3752137
Retro is better
>>
>>3757860
0/10
>>
>>3756365
Again this all comes down to your personal experience. Or lack there of.

>>3756451
So dark souls holds you hand and sm64 is grueling? kek

As I've said all along, there are both easy and hard games throughout vidya history. The ratio depends almost entirely on which will produce the most profit. But it never has been >9000:0 either way.
>>
>>3752137
Sometimes I find even graphically I prefer older games.

It's a strange kind of situation because my rational mind knows the graphics are inferior, but there's a sort of threshold where imagination fills in the gaps making things far more realistic-seeming than advanced 3D models and shaders going for verisimilitude. I notice it especially with certain areas in Flight Simulator 98. The terrain just feels more alive (even when it's much lower detail) than in FSX, where it's more likely to have blurring, or repeated textures seem more offensive.

I think FS2000 was vaguely similar to 98 in that regard, but from 2002 onward it's been the case that huge resources often need to be thrown at it to get a desirable result graphically (sometimes via audio or AI, it still has atmosphere regardless. FS98 was quite lonely in that regard.)
>>
>>3758657
It's something similar the the uncanny valley. Being close but no cigar is worse than not even trying to be close. That's why toonish 3d games tend to "age better" than games that tried to be realistic.
>>
>>3758567
>le dark souls is hard meme
>>>/v/
>>
>>3759843
Of course it's a /v/ game le edgy edgelord mememeister
>>
>>3754759
im all for hating modern games but you are really delusional when it comes to arcades. Yeah, the games themselves were great, but the businesses were out to steal all your money, bro. You can try to justify quarter munching stuff with "git gud" but there are plenty of games made unreasonably hard to the point where you were either dedicating your life to being able to beat it or you just spent a shit ton of money and there was nothing you could do.
>>
File: Jp-trespasser-cover.png (199KB, 256x307px) Image search: [Google]
Jp-trespasser-cover.png
199KB, 256x307px
>>3752137
Old games just play better really. Not nearly as much holding and they reward you for putting time into them.

They generally are overall better quality. "Polish" actually meant something. You could tell a lot of effort went into the games that we consider good.

Games that failed like pic related are remembered because of how different they were. Nice graphics, actual good voice acting, a decent story, dinosaurs, and funny health bar location. Just not really any modern games were this happens anymore.
>>
>>3752137
>What happened to the glory days of arcade gaming?

Nips still make 2D shootemups and fightans.
>>
>>3754718
Your pic related just proved that devs are better at hunting down bugs now. At least for based nippon. You retarded? Ye, you are.
>>
>>3759886
>dedicating your life

Why do you faggots always say this shit when told to git gud? If you were to choose one difficult arcade game, and play it for 15-30 minutes a day, and you were actually trying, you would find yourself making progress very quickly.

You "quarter-muncher" shitters would likely be pretty damn good at games if you spent even a fraction of the energy you do whining on practicing instead. No wonder you think it takes a lifetime to get anywhere with difficult games.
>>
>>3759843
It is hard until you memorize enemy patterns and properly plan your assault. You know, like every fucking game ever?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.