[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have made a thread similar to this in the past, so I apolo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 61oT40Rnx9L._SL1500_.jpg (105KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61oT40Rnx9L._SL1500_.jpg
105KB, 1500x1500px
I have made a thread similar to this in the past, so I apologize for redundancy. I finally have the money to pursue this so I am revisiting this topic. But maybe we can make this thread more open for various topics.

So I am searching for an arcade stick which will work especially well for the Tetris the Grandmaster series. From what I have read, in order to play TGM games properly with a fighting stick, the stick must be four-way instead of the typical eight-way.

I have done some researching and it seems that Madcatz is renowned for their fighting sticks (which I find ironic because their normal controllers are usually garbage). I stumbled across this particular stick, which may work for TGM.

This stick features a D-Pad mode where you can set the stick to emulate the D-Pad. If I simply switched the mode to this, would this eliminate my need for having a "true" four way stick? Or are there better sticks out there suited for TGM?

The stick in question: https://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-Arcade-FightStick-PlayStation4-PlayStation3/dp/B018HXA6H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485033200&sr=8-1&keywords=fightstick+alpha

Also, arcade general
>>
>>3752061
I recommend this stick:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-F300-Arcade-Fight-Joystick/dp/B019MFPLC0/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1485034056&sr=1-6&keywords=mayflash

I got one a while back. The stock parts are ok but what makes this affordable stick great is that it is compatible with Sanwa parts. The buttons are very easy to swap out but you may need to solder if you want to replace the switches on the stick (which is really not necessary imo). The stock assembly is also compatible with sanwa gates if you want to replace those and comes stock with a square gate. It is cross platform compatible but I have only used it on pc, ps3, and ps4. Its a great stick for the price and putting Sanwa stuff in it makes it on par with $150+ sticks.
>>
>>3752083
So if I get that then install this, it should be pretty much perfect, right? (sans the buttons, but those can always be swapped out later)

https://www.amazon.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Adjustable-Tournament-Compatible/dp/B0027Z7L5I/ref=pd_sim_147_4/163-3509410-3651658?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0027Z7L5I&pd_rd_r=SFTRFNQ1P0ATMQA8Y88S&pd_rd_w=hE8W0&pd_rd_wg=5rhjq&psc=1&refRID=SFTRFNQ1P0ATMQA8Y88S
>>
>>3752097
>https://www.amazon.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Adjustable-Tournament-Compatible/dp/B0027Z7L5I/ref=pd_sim_147_4/163-3509410-3651658?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0027Z7L5I&pd_rd_r=SFTRFNQ1P0ATMQA8Y88S&pd_rd_w=hE8W0&pd_rd_wg=5rhjq&psc=1&refRID=SFTRFNQ1P0ATMQA8Y88S

Sort of. The Sanwa switches are soldered to a board with a connector. In the Mayflash instead of that the switches are loose and simply soldered to 2 wires on each which go back to the pcb. So to use Sanwa switches you will need to either buy them loose or desolder them from the Sanwa switch board. Then cut off the wires to the stock switches and solder them to the Sanwa switches.

So you can either keep the stock switches and use that assembly which will work. However, since there isn't a board holding the switches in place I found they were a bit wobbly with the Sanwa assembly. The Mayflash assembly has four screws which clamp the gate down and this holds the switches in place much better than simply using the clips on the Sanwa assembly.

So what I did was take apart both assemblies and used the part with the screw holes from the may flash which seem to hold the switches more firmly and the rest is the Sanwa assembly. I hope that makes sense.

You can go either route but the stock assembly is very well constructed, all you really need to replace are the buttons which feel rather cheap imo.
>>
You need a diamond gate, assuming you can't get a cross gate.
>>
>>3752114
I would like to add that the stock switches are pretty much identical to Sanwa. I am actually using both types in my stick. I can't tell the difference and as you can see I get really spergy about this kind of shit.
>>
Most 8-way sticks with square gates can be set 4-way by simply rotating the gate 45 degrees
>>
>>3752114
Interesting, I will keep all of this in mind. May be worth it in order to get that authentic Japanese experience.

>>3752116
Dont you just turn the square gate sideways in order to get the diamond gate?
>>
File: Mad_Katz_vs_Hori.jpg (523KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mad_Katz_vs_Hori.jpg
523KB, 1920x1080px
Hori > Madcatz litter
>>
>>3752061
>i blogged about this before and im gonna blog about it again damn it
Cool blog faggot.
Madcatz is renowned for making cheap poor quality shit fight sticks and this is no exception. It will be particularly shitty for Tetris of any type. I haven't used the d-pad emulation mode but can guarantee it won't be anything close to having a proper stick. The stick will also probably blow away if you sneeze or fart vigorously in it's general direction.
>>
>>3752256
>>3752394

I figured so. I guess I was just reading articles by some paid madcatz shill
>>
>>3752114
>You can go either route but the stock assembly is very well constructed, all you really need to replace are the buttons which feel rather cheap imo.

Ok, so are you saying that the stick itself in this board feels decent? So all I would have to do is rotate the square gate to a diamond, replace the buttons with better ones and I will be good?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just now getting a moment to look into this stuff.
>>
File: square vs octagonal gates.jpg (64KB, 600x333px) Image search: [Google]
square vs octagonal gates.jpg
64KB, 600x333px
4-way refers to the gate at the very bottom of the stick. Every single stick only has 4 switches. The diagonals are just 2 switches at once.

4-way refers to the fact that the plate at the bottom is designed to stop any corner presses so only 1 switch can be triggered at a time.
>>
Here is a stick with a 3 in 1 restrictor plate

Basically you would just want to google or ask if the stick can be modded for 4 way if you want to make it better for games like tetris or pacman.
>>
>>3752525
Yeah, the stick is pretty good stock. I customize mine with a bat top, larger actuator, slightly tighter spring, and octo-gate. But it felt pretty standard out of the box.
The way Sanwa gates are constructed I don't think you can just turn a square gate 45 degrees and use it that way because the way the clips are oriented but maybe with some modding. I haven't seen any cross or diamond gates for Sanwa but there may be something out there if you look enough. I use mine mostly for fighting games so I don't know much about that. Gates are relatively cheap, you could just order several different ones (even non Sanwa) and just see if you can make it work somehow.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.