[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reminder that SMB2 in America is a Mario bros. game >Doki

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

>reminder that SMB2 in America is a Mario bros. game
>Doki Doki Panic was a licensed game made as a promotion for Fuji TV's fall line-up of new TV shows
>Nintendo rereleased it as a Mario game in Japan, made it officially canon, and only resells Super Mario USA when they do new rereleases on GBA, Wii/U Virtual Console etc.
>>
Did you know, in Korea it was called Donkey Kong's Picnic?!
>>
>>3751476
DID
>>
>>3751542
YOU
>>
>>3751551
KNOW
>>
Did you know that in America Super Mario Bros 2 is called the Rost Revers?
>>
File: ezfzQ.jpg (568KB, 2937x2203px) Image search: [Google]
ezfzQ.jpg
568KB, 2937x2203px
>Reminder that most early US NTSC SNES cartridges actually contained a Scorpio hard drive.
>>
>>3751476
Did you know that the American version of Super Mario Bros 2 is still just a re-skin of Doki Doki Panic at the end of the day, regardless of Nintendo's intentions?
>>
all memes aside, is doki doki panic any different gameplay wise from usa mario 2? Only thing I really noticed is you need to complete the game with all 4 characters to get the true ending
>>
>>3753096
No B dash.
>>
>>3751476
That's not how you spell Donkey Donkey Picnic.
>>
Post your reaction when you found out your childhood favorite was just a re-skin
>>
File: no strong feelings.gif (70KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
no strong feelings.gif
70KB, 250x188px
>>3753134

I just thought it was interesting trivia, I didn't feel like it took away from the game in any way. I kind of feel the same way now, the difference is I think we dodged a bullet with the Lost Levels.
>>
>>3753138
Ha!
>>
>>3753096
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_ddp.shtml
>>
>>3752973

How else would they have contained ALL THAT GAME?
>>
>>3751476
Hmmm you're saying that Nintendo doesn't resell games based off of expired licenses? Who would have thought. What other gems do you have for us OP?
>>
File: 76979_1.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
76979_1.png
2KB, 256x240px
In chinaland it was Super Bros. 5
>>
>>3754592
What was 2-4?
And was SMB3 in Chinese SMB3 proper or was SMB3 in Chinese SMB6?
>>
File: mario10.jpg (72KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
mario10.jpg
72KB, 720x960px
>>3754693
The numeration on Mario hacks is all over the place.
First there's Super Mario Bros, then there's Super Mario 2 (or simply "2") which is the japanese version of SMB2, the one that plays like SMB1 but is harder.
Then there is SMB3 which is the regular Mario 3.
Mario 4 is Armadillo, Mario 5 is SMB2USA, Mario 6 is tiny toon adventures, Mario 8 is Don Doko Don, Mario 10 is Jackie Chan, Mario 14 is Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3.
I'm missing a bunch but those are the ones I played.
>>
>>3753134
It was common knowledge in gaming circles in the early 90s.
>>
>yfw it was actually "Super Mare-io Brothers 2"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXg6jDkqvw
>>
Reminder that SMB2 USA has been game of the year for the last 6 years.
>>
>>3751476
no shit dumbass.
>>
>>3751476
>"Super Mare-io Brothers 2"

>>>/mlp/
>>
>>3754750
Not really. There was only a blurb about it on a Nintendo Power or two and if you were a military brat stationed in Japan you might have known about it. Once the internet came to be it became common knowledge.
>>
>>3755005
uh, ive been on the internet since 1990. you do realize the internet existed before you got on it, right?
>>
>>3751476
STILL the king baybeeeeeee AFTER ALL THESE YEARS
>>
>>3751476

ITT OP pulls some bullshit right out of his ass.
>>
>>3751476
no shit dumbass.
>>
>>3755016
>you do realize the internet existed before you got on it, right?

No, sorry the pops was dialed onto another computer downloading shareware at that time and I was a kid too at that time. He also worked for Nintendo and maybe he worked with your uncle.
>>
>>3751476
Doki Doki Panic was originally a Super Mario Brother 2 prototype that was re-skinned to promote a local Japanese carnival.
>>
>>3755065
UH-OH! SUUUPER MARIO BROTHERS TWOOOO!
THE KING IS BACK!
>>
>>3755065
King of Casuals.
>>
>>3755005
It was mentioned in the Mario Mania guidebook too, but became more common knowledge when Super Mario All-Stars was released and included both versions of Mario 2
>>
I was just watching the GCCX episode of this game, and honestly it was pretty smart of Nintendo to do this, as the game was really similar to a Mario game already, and clearly a pretty well-made game too. To waste it on a one-off licensed game that they could never resell without permission from Fuji TV would have been a real mistake.
>>
>>3751476
I seem to recall reading that Minamoto worked on Doki Doki Panic instead of SMB2, thus making it a more "true heir" to the original
>>
>>3751476
The japanese one is best
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.