[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder that the FDS is the most under appreciated Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_2518.jpg (72KB, 367x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2518.jpg
72KB, 367x300px
This thing is great, kind of sad that normies don't know about it
>>
>kind of sad that normies don't know about it
Maybe because you don't speak Japanese and don't live in Japan?
>>
>>3750378
>disk swapping

>load times

It's garbage.
>>
>>3750378
>kind of sad that normies don't know about it

Why? You want the prices to go up?

Why would you want to draw those people deeper into the hobby?
They don't even play games, they just buy them to post photos on Faecesbook and do lifestyle signaling.

>Totally Retro!
>Like if you were a 90s kid.
>I'm such a Nerd lol!
>>
It's not a console, it's an add-on.
>>
File: Kagamine.Rin.full.894265.jpg (329KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
Kagamine.Rin.full.894265.jpg
329KB, 900x800px
>Nintendo makes a failed add-on
>Based Ninty! Always looking out for us gamers!
>SEGA makes an add-on
>LOL stupid Sega can never do anything right XD
>>
>>3750440
>FCD
>Failed add-on
It was pretty successful, senpai. Just because you're an EOP who never heard of it before doesn't mean it failed.
>>
>>3750478
Right, so successful it never even left Japan, just like the 64DD

At least SEGA CD actually had good games.
>>
File: inline-4-4180-11.jpg (99KB, 643x361px) Image search: [Google]
inline-4-4180-11.jpg
99KB, 643x361px
>>3750395
Nigger have you ever actually used one?

>>3750389
I know a bit of japanese, but Traditional Chinese is where it's at. (Also, if you're not a technically illiterate normie, you can rewrite disks with translated versions)

>>3750482
Is that why it took 20 years for Nintendo to finally decommission the disk writing service? The problem with the thing was that disk copying was TOO rampant
>>
File: fds_disks.jpg (214KB, 480x298px) Image search: [Google]
fds_disks.jpg
214KB, 480x298px
>>3750482
The FCD had good games, it's just that most of them were converted to cartridge format when they were localized for the NES. I'm sure you heard of such classics like Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Bubble Bobble and Castlevania.
>>
>>3750486
>Is that why it took 20 years for Nintendo to finally decommission the disk writing service?
Could you elaborate on that?
>>
>>3750378
can't you just play the games on a flashcart. seems like a bitch to get ahold of the discs. don't the drives also break easily?
>>
>>3750547
Nintendo was still allowing retailers to write Famicom Disk software until 2003. Because the disk card themselves were rewriteable, it was simply a matter of maintaining the disk writing kiosks active until they were no longer profitable.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/fc_disk/index.html
>>
>>3750547
Mario 2 was doki doki panic
>>
>>3750570
wait what
>>
>>3750574
>>3750547
google exists for a reason, but you don't care about the obscure, do you? Go back to your n64 and dreamcastnormie
>>
I like the intro screen tune.

So tell me

How many games are better on the FDS than they are on the NES

What are the best FDS exclusive games

How many games have fan translations

How many games don't need translations

How many games do you want to get a translation?

And last, how do I patch FDS games, does the Lunar IPS work?
>>
>>3750607
>How many games are better on the FDS than they are on the NES
Mostly all of them just because it has better sound.
>>
>>3750607
Here is a list of FDS games that were also released on cartridge for the NES:
https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2016/04/worth-loading-times-famicom-disk-system.html

Here is a list of the ALL the FDS games, many of which are exclusive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Computer_Disk_System_games

The Everdrive N8 supports all FDS games and even automatically does disk side swap of floppy images (but only if you buy the Aryan version, avoid chink clones).
Note that if you are not emulating and you don't have a Famicom Disk System then you will need to mod your NES or Famicom to get the extra FDS sound channel.

Fan translation patches and news can be found at romhacking.net/translations

The best thing is to just learn Japanese, then you will never have to wait years for translation patches or have to pick between different completed ones.

It is easy to find tutorial posts on emulation forums that show you how to do IPS patching.
>>
>>3750628
Mostly all of them just because it has better sound.
Not really. Metroid may get some slack because it has a save feature but I prefer most of the NES versions.
>>
>>3750761
You use green arrows to quote the message you reply to,
>you know it, right?
>>
>>3751402
/vr/, why are you turnig into /v/?
>>
Normie's have no interest playing any console unreleased in their region
If you are you're pretty much too deep into vidya that it isn't cool anymore
>>
>>3751467
>Normie's have no interest playing any console unreleased in their region
The FCD is an add-on though, not a console. But the FC is so substantially different from the NES, it might as well count as a different console.
>If you are you're pretty much too deep into vidya that it isn't cool anymore
That's alright with me. The FC/SFC versions of many NES/SNES games are still relatively cheap (aside from low print stuff like Ninjawarriors Again and Wild Guns, which are expensive in every region) and I much rather own those versions anyway.
>>
>>3751595
>FC might as well be another console
What? The NES and Famicom are the exact same, with different case designs. That's why I play all my NES games on my Twin FC.
>>
File: SAM_1991.jpg (113KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1991.jpg
113KB, 1600x1065px
>>3751750
The NES doesn't have an internal expansion slot that the FC has, which becomes an issue if you try to play certain FC cartridges on an NES like Akumajou Densetsu and most Disk System games, which results in some of the sounds being muted on a real console. Also, Famicom peripherals like the light gun and Family Trainer require an expansion port which the NES did not have (since it used controller port #2 for everything). Not even multitaps are compatible with each other.

It's not like the difference between a Super Famicom and Super NES, which both accept the same peripherals and the only thing keeping you from playing an SFC cartridge on an SNES console are a couple of measly tabs. The hardware differences between the original FC and NES are just too great for me to ignore, even if their guts are essentially the same.
>>
>>3750440
Who were you quoting, console warrior-kun?
>>
>>3750440

Sega CD is pretty well liked around here
>>
>>3751278
Enjoy your shitty rendition Bloody Tears and load times between getting hit by an enemy and being bumped back into town.
>>
>>3751795
This.
The Famicom despite being much older by design has much better utilities than the NES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc3rPptw2Mg

Also to keep on topic, the FDS is moreso a interesting experiment of doing budget media on a cartridge console. I did consider getting one, but in this day and age cartridges are a much better option, especially since 99% of FDS games got a cartridge version.
>>
>>3750440

What? I see positive Sega CD threads all the time. If you ignore the fmv games it fixed the biggest problems with the Genesis; sound quality, storage space and no scaling/rotation.
>>
>>3752052
>Also to keep on topic, the FDS is moreso a interesting experiment of doing budget media on a cartridge console. I did consider getting one, but in this day and age cartridges are a much better option, especially since 99% of FDS games got a cartridge version.
I'm guessing you're counting NES localizations, since a lot of FCD games (like Metroid and Zelda II) were never released in cartridge format in Japan. Even then, there's still a few worthwhile exclusives like Lost Levels, The Mysterious Castle of Murasame, Miracle of Almana and Temple Maze Dababa. The Disk Card version of Bio Miracle Upa probably cost a lot less than its cartridge counterpart.
>>
File: nhGS0s8.jpg (639KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
nhGS0s8.jpg
639KB, 1920x1440px
>>3751795
>>3752052
You don't know what you're talking about. There is no internal famicom expansion slot, pin 27 (the cartridge expansion pin) is wired directly to the sound processor.

And, as you can see in pic related, the NES DID have an internal expansion slot. Enabling expansion audio on an NES is just a matter of soldering in a single resistor.

Also, the external Famicom expansion slot is just for peripherals, and there ARE adapters which allow NES/Famicom accessories to be compatible with each other
>>
>>3752052
Lagrange point uses and expansion sound chip, the VRC7. Pretty much a genesis sound chip, and it is as easy to play on an NES as any other expansion game
>>
>>3750709
>just learn Japanese
Easier said than done, my man.
>>
>>3750709

Ok but which ones are actually worth playing?
>>
>>3752110
I knew exactly what I was talking about. My point is that the NES did not have any of the same functionalities as the Famicom or rather had them applied differently.

Modding your console to enable extra sound effects in a regional version of a game that the hardware manufacturer did not intend you to play in your console is not something everyone is capable of doing. Same thing with the peripherals.

I guess you could argue that all regional variants of a console are different in some or another, but most of them basically amounted to region coding the games. In the case of the original Famicom and NES, the differences went a bit beyond merely changing the cartridge pins as a form of region locking.
>>
>>3752317
yeah but what are you actually SAYING aside from "i want to be right"
>>
>>3752120
>Easier said than done, my man.
My advice:

For learning the speech the most important thing is to master pronunciation. Not to be more easily understood, but for you to readily comprehend Japanese speech.

For learning the written word the most important thing is to master the stroke order. Not to have your handwriting be more recognizable, but because it makes identifying and recalling Kanji much more intuitive.

>>3752313
>Ok but which ones are actually worth playing?
That's quite subjective, don't you think?
Download the ROMset and spend a couple hours trying out each game.
Maybe you can find a hidden gem.
>>
>>3751439
>turning into
>>
>>3750378
Best game Holy Diver?
>>
>>3752362
Nothing I said was technically wrong. I deliberately left out the fact that you can mod your NES to get extra sound channels and use FC peripherals because I doubt many people have the soldering skills to pull it off without damaging their console. I even acknowledged the guts between the two consoles are the same.
>>
>>3752769
It's a fucking resistor.
>>
>>3752783
>It's a fucking resistor.
That's for enabling special sound chips in certain Famicom cartridges.

What mod do you need to make to get the extra audio channel the FDS has without having to get an FDS?
>>
>>3750378
It's not a console. It's a disk drive to play games on disks because cartridges were too expensive.
>>
>>3750378

I'm glad normies don't know about the FDS, It allows the price of it to stay low...
>>
>>3752712
Bro, im literally listening to Japanese language cds while I work, could you suggest some other useful methods for speaking and understanding Japanese, please? I'm not so much interested in reading Japanese, only speaking and understanding. Thanks!
>>
>>3752120
The hard part doesn't seem to be the Kanji or the grammar but to stop thinking about it being hard and simply starting.
>>
File: DiskWriter.jpg (197KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DiskWriter.jpg
197KB, 960x1280px
>>3750378
It was kinda cool but you wouldn't get the best of it right now. The best moment to own one would have been back when it was released, being able to use disk writers in shops and getting pirare disks from shady vendors. As of right now, the games that are actual exclusives for it are good, but not really worth it. Also, using a flashcart or an emulator would be best, so you can get rid of the loading times. There's no real reason to own one.
>>
>>3753157
Someone should make an external disk writer for pc, so you can write and re-write your own fds disks.
>>
>>3752712
>My advice
Is shit. I'd like to think the reason is that English is your third language and you don't really understand the meaning of words your using. Maybe you took your own advice and haven't got to that less important part yet. kek.
>>
>>3753230
You can, look up the FDS stick, it's a flash card for the disk system as well as being able to connect to your PC and the disk system to rewrite disks
>>
>>3753230
Someone should have been born before 1990 when every chink had one.
>>
>>3750378
There are maybe 5 good exclusives for it. Its a really cool little add-on, but expanded cartridge sizes made it obsolete before the Super Famicom even came out.

I definitely recommend people give Ai Senshi Nicol, Armana no Kiseki, Nazo no Murasamejou, and Meikyuu Jiin Dababa a go though. Maybe Otocky if you want to try out some weird musical/shooter stuff, and Esper Dream if you don't mind how basic it is compared to its far superior sequel on the Famicom.
>>
>>3750396
I have never seen someone post pictures of old games on Facebook and I know plenty of people who like playing retro games. I think maybe our level of appreciation and knowledge about it is much deeper, but I don't really think its that hard to find people who like retro games.
>>
>>3751467
>isn't cool anymore

I disagree, most people I play games with get really excited if I show them some cool obscure stuff from other regions.

I was showing my housemate the original "King's Field" the other day and he was really interested in it despite never having played a game by From Software before and only owning newer consoles
>>
File: DSCN1093-1.gif (311KB, 800x290px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1093-1.gif
311KB, 800x290px
>>3752852
You dumbass, don't you realize that ALL famicom accessories and games that have expansion audio use the same pin?

One pin covers the FDS, VRC6, VRC7, sunsoft shit, etc. The FDS ram adapter has a special sound chip which uses expansion audio just like everything else
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.