[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know why, but sometimes I feel modern computing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

I don't know why, but sometimes I feel modern computing makes all dull and boring, but back then computers and consoles inside and outside tried to look either cool, either classy.
What's your opinion on that?
I'd say, Sega CD BIOS is an example of computers being cool. Well, I think it's the coolest BIOS around here.
>>
I miss the 90's.
>>
File: ibm-5510.jpg (193KB, 600x838px) Image search: [Google]
ibm-5510.jpg
193KB, 600x838px
>>3748734
I think there are 2 big reasons for this.

First, PCs and electronics used to be more prestigious than today, sometimes even being luxurious. The presentation mattered a lot for them. Sega CD in particular was priced at $300 at launch in US. In today's money that'd be around $520—and it was an add-on for crying out loud. Add to that the prices for CRTs, the more expensive carts and so on. It was a more luxurious segment, hence they poured more money into presentation.

Second, times simply changed. Computers were still something new, magical and unreachable for most. They could still wow people with power and new technology. But today, PCs don't impress most people anymore; everybody has one, and specs don't matter as much anymore.

If you look at flagship smartphones though, they still try to set themselves apart from competition with custom skins, apps and so on. Budget segment doesn't do this, but it's obvious.

Lastly, Apple has gained quite a success with its focus on accessibility and minimalism in its products, setting the trend for all the manufacturers. And this minimalism tends to feel pretty dull really.
>>
>>3748779
To give another example, think budget clothing vs luxury clothing, budget cars vs luxury cars. You'll see the big difference in presentation between them.

If you look at H&M or Kia, they tend to be pretty minimalist, generic, and somewhat bland—they don't spend much on design, obviously. Their ads will usually contain smiling, friendly people, emphasizing their accessibility.

Meanwhile, some boutique clothing brand or Mercedes will emphasize the value of the brand, its uniqueness, history, and will often include a pamphlet or booklet with a long story about how cool your product is, how it's made of the finest materials from all over the world, etc. You'd also notice their stores to be way better decorated, perhaps with better dressed staff too, not consisting of teens and obese women. Also, often they will have ads with beautiful people looking at you like at a piece of shit, kind of communicating: "you will never afford that, pleb".

In general, computers today are dirt cheap compared to previous years. They cut corners on everything. So the presentation obviously won't be any fancy. Consoles cost around the same—but usually they have alright menu design and such.
>>
>>3748734
My opinion is that you're nostalging over something you never experienced until you jumped on the retro bandwagon. You're "le i'm so retro" tone and inability to distinguish between a computer and a console are a a dead give away that you're underage.
How spot on is my opinion?
>>
>>3748848
>Look at me, I am way more retro than OP is!
>He's just a kid, unlike me, a sophisticated adult.
Can't you just be happy he's discovering something that makes him feel a certain way and he wants to talk about it?

you have no chill about anything man
>>
>>3748734
I rarely see it anymore because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjNSgQzZbI

I agree that the 'naughties were when console boot screens stopped trying to get you hyped and started being too cool for school. Even Dreamcast is trying to be fun. Fucking smug ass PS2.
>>
>>3748848

Your opinion is a piece of shit.
>>
>>3748848
I think you're a giant faggot and the bigger poser than you're accusing OP of being
>>
>>3748997
Man the music for the mega cd/JVC is just terrible. Loud and annoying vs cool like the Sega cd
>>
File: hardcore_kirby.jpg (227KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
hardcore_kirby.jpg
227KB, 960x1280px
>>3749412
I think that has something with US versions being to be cool and serious and something like that.
People usually complain here how US design is too brutal, intense and hardcore, but now we've got the same design worldwide and we have nothing to compare. That is actually boring.
>>
File: 1422372686602.gif (3MB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1422372686602.gif
3MB, 255x191px
>>3748734
Hell yeah, I love that screen

>boot up Sega CD before deciding what to play just to hear it jam while selecting a game.

feels good man.
>>
>>3748848
OP here. 100% spot on.
>>
>>3751195
your not op
>>
>>3749412
It's actually the japanese sega CD boot theme

>>3748997
>Put a disc on the turn table
>Turn table
>>
File: Romanian_pickup1.jpg (120KB, 800x769px) Image search: [Google]
Romanian_pickup1.jpg
120KB, 800x769px
>>3751298
>Turn table
Why not?
>>
>>3748734
lots of 90's and earlier shit was miscolored and toy looking.

The ps3 could sit on a stand and people could take it for a dvd player. The Snes looked like your kids left their purple toy next to your tv.

Now we even have people trying too fucking hard. With LEDs everywhere and sharp edges with huge PREDATOR logos all over.

We definitely didn't try harder back then. It is nostalgia.
>>
>>3748823
Nitpicking but for the future, H&M (and all the other fast fashion stores) rip off high fashion runway designs, so they're not analogous to Chanel as Kia is to Benz.
>>
File: snes2.jpg (430KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
snes2.jpg
430KB, 1280x960px
>>3751769
And people said EU/JP SNES with Skittles buttons looks like toy unlike US SNES.
>>
>>3751827
Yeah I know. But then again, budget cars rip off their bigger competitors. Of course Kia doesn't rip off Benz though.
>>
File: eur1.png (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
eur1.png
9KB, 320x240px
>>3748734
mega cd tho
>>
>>3752078
It's nice too.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.