[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good starter retro console that does not for fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (8KB, 351x143px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 351x143px
What's a good starter retro console that does not for fun? Prefereably with an affordable flashcart that supports all games. I am thinking Gameboy or GBC (I really want both to play GB on a dot matrix)
Do they have a good flashcart? Are they generally affordable?

Pic unrelated, but CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER
>>
>>3745551
What does
>console that does not for fun?
mean?
>>
>>3745556
Shit I dunno. I lrobably wanted to shove in an extra idea or thought and lost it in the middle. Sorry, man, this semester is taking its toll.

I remember now. Does not cost an arm and a leg.
>>
>>3745551
Cheapest is Genesis or HSNES because they have the cheapest decent generic flashcarts. Generic Genesis flashcart has better compatibility plus the Genesis itself has backward compatibility with Master System and the flashcart loads all those games too.

Devices with integrated novel displays like GB/C are a special experience though and portability is nice. Its flashcart isn't outrageously expensive though so it's a fine choice too with a huge library. GBA flash cart is a bit cheaper and can run a GB/C emulator and NES emulator for a much bigger library at a lower cost but the emulation isn't perfect.
>>
>>3745569
Doesnt the Snes have the disadvantage of chipped games not being compatible with flashcarts?
>>
>>3745569
What GBA flash cart would you suggest?
>>
>>3745573
I think there are some flashcarts that can emulate the FX or similar chips. Plus some games that "need" extra chips didn't really need them back in the day, like the DSP and surround sound chips. Those games work.

But that is a more expensive flashcart. Thing is, only a handful of games even use the FX or similar, that the cheaper flashcarts DO NOT emulate. So with a cheap flashcart you can play 99% of the SNES library.
>>
>>3745573
Yes, that's why I said the Genesis has better compatibility. You can pay twice as much for your SNES flashcart to get it to play 99% of games vs just 96% of games with the cheap chinese one. Also, the cheap Genesis one is even cheaper.
>>
>>3745573
It's only uncompatible with SFX games, all of the SFX games suck except for Yoshi Island.
>>
What about the GBC? What's the display like? I am really horny for the GB dot matrix.
>>
>>3745585
GBCs still have very visible discrete LCD pixels. Even the original GBA and most SPs do.
>>
>>3745589
I think I'll look for a GBC on ebabe then. What's a good price range for an undamaged one? What's a good flashcart?
>>
>>3745583
Most people would argue Mario RPG and Star Fox are also worth owning that have SFX.
>>
>>3745604
Mario RPG was SA-1 which is supported by some flashcarts.
>>
GBA honestly. It's cheap and an entry level flash cart (EZ Flash IV) is dirt cheap as well. In b4 not retro. It's full of retro remakes and 16 bit styled games. A GBC everdrive, even a Chinese knockoff clone, will cost you twice as much. I prefer GBA games to GBC as well.

I'd recommend you try out a few games that seem interesting to you from either GBA or GBC on visualboy advance first to get a feel for it.
>>
>>3745606
Which? I've never heard of any.
>>
>>3745591
You should be able to score a decent GBC for around $20 they're not hugely in demand. As far as flashcarts go there's basically just two choices. The cheap one is the GB USB 64M at about $40. It only has 64 meg of memory divided between two banks so you can't just have all the games with you all the time and new games have to be loaded by special software. The Everdrive costs over twice as much but is much more convenient with its own menu and SD card loading of roms.
>>
>>3745609
A clone of the GBC everdrive can be had for around $50.

Also the GB Boy Colour is something I'd recommend to anybody interested in a GBC. As long as you're comfortable with having a slightly incorrect aspect ratio it's a near perfect clone of a GBC with a backlit screen that goes for $30.
>>
>>3745607
I gotta agree with this guy. For what OP is asking for, he should probable grab a (cheaper) AGS-001 GBA SP and an EZ Flash IV. He'll be out the door for like $35 total if he shops carefully and it'll give him the pocket-sized pixelly retro feels he's after - with a backlight and rechargeable battery too.
>>
>>3745614
He specifically wants the pixelly screen though.
>>
>>3745621
Well there's not much difference in how it looks other than the aspect ratio. Without the backlight you will understand my childhood struggle and come to appreciate how we suffered. The Nyko Worm Light helped but that glare was a real bitch.

Unless you want to play in direct sunlight at all times the GBA SP or GB Boy Colour is the way to go.
>>
>>3745607
>It's full of retro remakes and 16 bit styled games
So are smartphones. They also use the same 32 bit architecture as the GBA.
>>
>>3745627
Most of the ones on smartphones are shit though. There's a lot of shovelware on the GBA too but no shortage of gems. A smartphone won't give you quite the same experience either unless perhaps you have an xperia play or something.
>>
File: QD0SFL5[1].jpg (475KB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
QD0SFL5[1].jpg
475KB, 2816x2112px
>>3745625
>Well there's not much difference in how it looks
Gotta disagree with you there. The GB Boy Colour's screen looks like an AGS-101s screen. You might as well just play on an Android.
>>
>>3745604
>Most people would argue Mario RPG and Star Fox are also worth owning that have SFX.

Most people would also argue that they are not.
>>
>>3745634
Stop the autism. Those are highly rated games and you know it.
>>
>>3745631
There's nothing wrong with playing on an AGS-101 either. I believe in authenticity up to a point. I'm not going to play my Genesis with a shitty 3rd party RF adapter that puts black lines all over the screen just for 90s feels. I'm not going to insist on playing on an original GBC or GBA either so I'm forced to stay next to a window with sunlight coming in so I can see. We've come a long way and there's no reason to go backwards anymore.
>>
>>3745637
>Star Fox
Eh, it was alright for the time. Nowadays the framerate makes it unplayable.
>>
>>3745639
That's fine for you, but OP wants "dot matrix". Personally I think the Pocket has the most aesthetic screen while literally the only reason to get a GB Boy Colour over a similarly priced handheld emulator with built in SD reader and native support for GB/C/A, MD, SNES, NES is because you like the form factor of the GBC and those devices are all shaped like PSP. We could even get into arguing for PSP. I personally do use an XPlay for this purpose but I want for OP to have the experience HE'S looking for, not MY experience.
>>
>>3745650
Yeah no reason to play it when Starfox 64
Exists
>>
>>3745551
>What's a good starter retro console that does not for fun?
God, please let us adopt this as a new meme. We have so few of them.
>>
>>3745551
Saturn with Action Replay modded with Pseudo Saturn Kai.
>CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER
Always Fio. Or Marco if my friend I'm playing with was faster.
>>
>>3745676
That's assuming he knows Japanese.
>>
>>3745681
Yeah you need shitloads of japanese to play Metal Slug and Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Radiant Silvergun.
>>
>>3745637
Op here. The chip support turns me off. Some of my favorites are chip games.
I am now prowling for a GBC, though it's tough to find a seller who ships to Kykeland.
>>
>>3745786
I've been the biggest advocate for that, but that other Anon was right that a GBA for example an AGS-001 SP will have a fairly similar screen, much cheaper flash cart (with good support for NES and GB/C roms) and may also be easier for you to buy... But if you have a powerful lust for 1:1 pixel ratio, then stay your course.
>>
>>3745824
It's not so much the ratio as the black and green dots screen. I come from a poor camily so I have nostalgia only for tetris consoles/tank games
>>
>>3745874
Then get a Pocket not a GBC
>>
Genesis is by far the best budget retro.
>>
>>3745949
True facts. Even adding $0-$9 for a CRT
>>
>>3745551
>flashcart that supports all games.
You're asking a bit too much. In most cases there'll be some games that flashcarts can't do. Master System flashcarts might support all games, but you can play those same MS games on a Mega Drive with a MD flashcart (Ever Drive carts have good compatibility) , so you wouldn't bother unless you had a unit with FM sound.

A MD/Genesis definately does for fun, though. Can't recommend that not for fun.
>>
>>3747090
Thanks for the advice. I'll look those up too.
I think I accidentaly a pasta
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.