[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make the rerelease of Final Fantasy IX look... not terrible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

How do I make the rerelease of Final Fantasy IX look... not terrible? I was gifted it by a friend, so I feel obligated to try this version rather than emulating the PS1 version.

The models and cutscenes look great, but the backgrounds seem to be the original PS1 versions with a godawful bilinear filter over them. Does anyone know how to make this look a bit more consistent? Even changing the filtering on the backgrounds would help.
>>
>>3742769
I brought this up before and said it looked bad, and a person kept calling me an idiot whilst saying it looks good. So I doubt you're gonna get help, I sure didn't.
>>
I've what I've read before on /vr/ is right, they lost the original high-definition backround renders of FFIX, so whatever they used for the PS1 version is literally all they have to put into any future versions.
>>
>>3742769
Play on a small screen. Literally all I can say.
>>
>>3742807

FF7 you could kind of understand but that they weren't backing their shit up by FFIX is fucking crazy. How hard was it to get a hold of a goddamn hard drive? All the PS1 FF's are best played on a CRT for this reason, there's just no point upscaling anything else when the backgrounds will never change.
>>
Here's what you do: buy a CRT and a copy of the game and play on a PS1
>>
play the game on a crt maybe, its still poor quality but the crt hides it a bit
>>
>>3742845
Japanese developers have a weird culture of destroying the original source codes and art assets for their games after a certain period of time.

I think it's out of some fear that their competitors might steal them.
>>
>>3742807
Partially true.
A lot of the old assets were lost by Squaresoft.
BUT all of the BG and cutscenes for IX were farmed out to other companies.
So there is a chance they still exist on other people's hard drives.
>>
>>3742769
Leave it open in Steam so it looks like you're playing it, then minimize it and run an emulator/play it on a ps1.
>>
OP here, are there any settings in the game itself I can change to make things look any better?
>>
>>3743062
Lowest setting for graphics seems to be 640x480 -- I'm assuming this will make things at least marginally better since at least there won't be as much of a discrepancy between the characters and the backgrounds, just makes everything pixelated.
>>
>>3742769
what the fuck
weren't they remaking the backgrounds as well?
>>
Modders are upscaling the backgrounds right now:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/142261352660457538/
They use the waifu filter that makes it look like the remake of FF4 though. Hopefully there will be different choices of filters.
>>
>>3745475
Wow. This looks horrible.
>>
>>3743470
No, they never promised that. This was supposed to be played on a cellphone, the fact it's available on Steam is a nice bonus.
>>
I bet you fags will also complain the FMV videos run at 15fps.
>>
>>3745484
Personally I have nothing against the bgs as they are.

But I have to say the difference is that we do know there exist(ed) highres versions of the backgrounds. Raw material when they were made.

If Squaresoft had done its job correctly, and had included raw assets with the source code in the closing package of the game, then we would have had a better port.

For the FMV, we don't know if there existed versions with a higher image per second count; this being said, there has been ports in the past which included higher res, smoother versions of FMV videos. Like the Biohazard 2 and 3 PC ports by Sourcenext.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.