[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this game have to have such shit writing? The music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

Why did this game have to have such shit writing?

The music is phenomenal and the combat system is great.

The atmosphere was amazing at first but after the second day or so it starts to fail as both Survival Horror and JRPG.
>>
>>3740297
The game never really comes off as survival horror and i doubt it was even marketed as one.
As for writing, do you really expect square to ever have good writing? If so that is your fault.
>>
>>3740297
It's a science fiction action RPG

I'm pretty sure it was marketed as RPG instead of survival horror
>>
>>3741129
It's more contemporary fantasy than science fiction
>>
>>3741145
there's literally no difference at all.
>>
File: Asagami.Fujino.full.1557384.jpg (375KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Asagami.Fujino.full.1557384.jpg
375KB, 900x900px
>>3741172
>There is no difference between Ghost in the Shell and the Nasuverse
>>
>>3741129
I think it was marketed as "Cinematic RPG", or in other words, good old Square's "We want to make movies but we're a Japanese company that makes RPGs so we'll make RPGs that feel like they're movies".
Also, all in all, while we're on "games that really want to be movies" I find the writing better than MGS' "nanomachines" and "one twin got the better genes".
Actually, I wish they made a movie out of this while Square still had the rights and Danny Glover wasn't so old.
>>
>>3741185
>I don't understand that context changes what words mean
>>
>>3740297

Nips wrote it, and yes, I completely agree. I had the biggest nostalgia goggles for the original PE until I watched a clip of someone playing it a year ago; the dialog was beyond cringe.
>>
Will people EVER stop to play Parasite Eve survival horror ?!

Okay, let's list the things which are survival horror about PE1.
- inventory limit. Except the inventory is unlike Resident Evil and like Final Fantasy IV.
- find a key or press a switch to open a door. Which happens twice in the entire game and which again is more akin to what you could already find in jRPGs.
- 'horror theme', it's pretty light and past the burning people and the rat, there isn't really any. There isn't even enough to label the game 'horror theme' and again it's more like what you could find in jRPGs, with monsters and stuff, rather than what survival horror games are like.
- 3D models inside 2D backgrounds; which even if it was a technique invented by survival horror (AITD), influenced the entire industry, and it's something jRPGs adapated to them. In the case of PE1, the backgrounds and camera angles, the 3D models, are more like FFVII, and unlike RE.

The only reason why it was called 'survival horror' was because of clueless "professional" vg journalists who started labelling everything "survival horror" when the genre peaked.

Same people who'd also call House of the Dead survival horror for christs sake.

PE1 is an action j-RPG, period. Also its theme is more "noir" than "horror". 'Gamers' just seem to be too stupid to either make the difference or think by themselves about what they're playing, instead of parotting whatever stupid shit pro vg journalists could spit in the mid 90's.
>>
>>3741352

>not horror

The first time I played it, I watched the horrific cinematic of the opera house and people being horrifically burned. To my horror, I was then given control of the main character and confronted a horrible floating monstrosity on stage, who was capable of causing people to combust. I then had to chase that floating horror to the spooky area behind stage and was attacked by a horrific rat that turned into a nightmarish horror rat.

I had to pause the game and rushed to turn off the console. It took me more than a week of dread to try playing again and the horrors just increased as the game progressed.
>>
>>3740297
It's an action JRPG set in New York in the present day at the time. Non futuristic or medieval fantasy aesthetics. It's a pretty risky concept so it has my support no matter how shit is the writing.
>>
>>3741352
What about the escape from the Ultimate Being in the end? That shit is still the most intense vidya moment I have ever played, even 15 years later.
>>
>>3740297
wasn't it based on a book?
anyway it's a damn good action RPG closer to vagrant story than any survival horror game, but I barely even remember what the plot was
>>
>>3740297
square wrote it
>>
>>3744293
>wasn't it based on a book?
Yep, though only the first game I'm pretty sure.
>>
File: ouuuuh.jpg (24KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
ouuuuh.jpg
24KB, 540x540px
>>3740297
>hating mitochondria this much
bye felicia
>>
>>3741352
>Will people EVER stop to play Parasite Eve survival horror ?!
wat
>>
>>3741352

Also, you never have any reason to run from enemies, unlike in survival horror games where evasion is at least as valid as fighting, but more often what you ought to be doing as much as possible. In standard battles your weapons (assuming you don't fuck them up and put ROFx10 and Ice/Heat on them) will always wreck house.
>>
>>3744321
The concept comes from a book, but the book doesn't really come up much at all in the game. The game is sortof a sequel to the book. It's referenced a couple of times in dialogue and it's implied that Aya's mom received one of the Kyomi implants from the book, which is why Aya and Eve got the mitochondria upgrade.

Some of it suffers from the translation too.
>>
>why did this game have to have shit writing

It's a survival horror game. These games rarely have strong, credible stories; instead they focus on atmosphere and setting. And I'd say Parasite Eve has a better story than your typical Resident Evil. Silent Hill 2 is one of the few survival horrors that has a strong-ish story, and even I think that is debatable.
>>
I'm so confused how anyone could ever think this was a bad game. As a science fiction idea it was a great game, I mean a really damn good game that I still play on my psp to this day.
>>
I still have that cinematic of the baby flopping onto the ship burned into my mind
>>
>>3746723
>It's a survival horror game.

Parasite Eve has no real sense of survival to count as such.
>>
>>3746723
>It's a survival horror game.

I'm going crazy.
>>
>>3746723
>It's a survival horror game
PE it's a "cinematic RPG"
>>
>>3747636
You are just nuts.
>>
I like Parasite Eve
>>
>>3741352
You sound upset. I call it survival horror solely because it feels like Resident Evil with a Final Fantasy UI tacked on.
>>
>>3749881
In order for that to be "survival" horror, it would need for survival to take place.
>>
I own the soundtrack to this game but the dialog was cringey as fuck. Everything about it was cringe-inducing. Also, the Chrysler building Maya fight was way better than fighting Eve.
>>
>>3752127
Better than escaping from the Ultimate Being also.
>>
File: hot!.jpg (248KB, 600x2404px) Image search: [Google]
hot!.jpg
248KB, 600x2404px
>>3740297
>Why did this game have to have such shit writing?
>>
>>3741352
>adapated to them
>>
if anything the writing is decent and game is well thought-out, its the music that is shit. there are like 3 different tracks that play all the fucking time. add no sound fx and no voice acting, and you get a perfect game where you can play your own music over it without sacrificing any of the atmosphere.
>>
>>3747608
>>3747640
I was just using it as an umbrella term for an old horror game. Even if the gameplay mechanics are different I feel it has a similar vibe to Resident Evil.

>>3747636
This thing is the bane of /vr/'s existence
>>
>>3753237
hahaha

i checked the script: 15 results for hot. not whatever tier, but it's getting there.
>>
>>3753237
>>3753969
>I have no understanding of the localization conditions during the 90s or the discrepancies between English and Japanese writing styles and the consequences of transliteration and rush editing
>>
>>3753984
not only can you not appreciate a joke, but you don't realize that a translation is writing
>>
>>3753995
Better than that it's professional writing, the kind of thing that comes with a paycheck and a deadline. If you had to do the same job you'd cry lock yourself in the basement.
>>
File: 2.png (459KB, 807x861px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
459KB, 807x861px
>>3740297
>>
>>3753596
>Yoko Shimomura
>Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKBJ-WKQlEg
>>
>>3755335
Yoko Shimomura was at one point sort of ashamed of her work on Live-a-Live

This means she is a real artist, because real artists hate everything they produce.
>>
Yoko Shimomura is pretty much on the same level musicaly as Uematsu, she just happened to work on some crappier games.
>>
>>3755723
I don't really think Uematsu is that great. Sakimoto and Mitsuda and Ito are definitely superior.
>>
>>3755743
I get Mitsuda, but why Sakimoto is so revered is baffling to me. He's such a one trick pony.
Uematsu is very versatile and each song fit each context perfectly.
>>
Fuck you OP, I love the writing. It's mega cheesy and the scientific parts make no sense, but it's still enjoyable in a bad B-Movie plot kind of way.

I don't know what it is exactly you hate about it, but if it's something among the lines of "CELLS DON'T WORK THAT WAY!" you're a turbo nerd and need to chill a little.
>>
>>3755771
>Sakimoto is a one trick pony
is this nigga serious? Dragon Quarter is experimental af
>>
>>3755772
it reads like pulp detective comics or something, and I love that shit
>>
>>3755791
>Dragon Quarter is experimental af
experimental as in using the same sounds with less direction
>>
>>3741352
>for christs sake
>>
>>3740335
I've seen it on several survival horror lists back in the day, so it was likely at least marketed as one at some point, or considered as such.
>>
>>3755771
>why Sakimoto is so revered is baffling to me. He's such a one trick pony.

oh god someone finally said it, thank you
the man can only write good battle themes and even those start to sound alike after a while
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.