[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do you beat this thing? Every guide tells me I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

How the fuck do you beat this thing?

Every guide tells me I need to just put 16 plastic explosives on it, but I put all 20 on it, and nothing fucking happens.

Is this some kind of nasty anti piracy shit like in EarthBound?

To be clear, I'm using this romhack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2445/ But that wouldn't effect something like this would it?
>>
Well whatever, I guess there's a trick to skipping the super computer, so at least I still beat the game I guess.

I think Mr. Romhacker didn't fully test the game, just weather or not the changes worked.
>>
Play the original? Why do you come here with the expectation that a ROM hack should be fully functional?
>>
>>3738807
that's a big crt
>>
Have you seen this guide? maybe it won't help anyway - oh well
>>
>>3738880

I mean, I looked at dozens of guides and they all said the same thing. The explosives did nothing, I even paused until they went off before placing down another. Nothing happened.

It could be the romhack, but after reading the guide you posted, I realized I don't think I ever found the real Dr. Petrovich.

Was I supposed to call him on the tranceiver first or something?
>>
>>3738882
Wait, doesn't Pettrovich tell you WHERE to place the explosives?
I don't think you're just supposed to just pile explosives on and hope for the best.
>>
File: 2134683-mg16.jpg (93KB, 960x289px) Image search: [Google]
2134683-mg16.jpg
93KB, 960x289px
The Super Computer is indestructable to your plastic explosives until you rescue Ellen and then talk to Dr. Pettrovich, which sets the require flag. You need to to go to Building No. 5, which is in the forest maze in the area west between Buildings 2 and 3. The path to take is Left Left Up Left.

You can also just skip the Super Computer battle completely and go straight to the final boss by pressing right when you enter the room.

I do have one question though.
>Playing the NES version of Metal Gear in 20-fucking-17
Why? The MSX2 version is the superior version and it's easily emulatable in this day and age.
>>
>>3739223

That's so fucking stupid. you shouldn't even be able to get to the super computer if you haven't met the requirements to beat it yet,
>>
File: 2134682-mg15.jpg (92KB, 960x289px) Image search: [Google]
2134682-mg15.jpg
92KB, 960x289px
>>3739471
Indeed. The NES Metal Gear has many odd bugs and glitches that didn't exists in the original. It's a wonder why anyone would seriously want to play it in this day and age when the MSX2 version is readily accessible. It's a mere curiosity at best and not even an interesting one, since the NES game doesn't even differ that much from the MSX version outside the map (which admittedly has a more hub-like feel on the NES) and a couple of different bosses.
>>
>>3739508

I like the NES Soundtrack better

Anyways in b4 I trigger someone but the only reason I specifically wanted to play the NES version is because I softmodded my NES Classic Edition and threw Metal Gear onto it since I never played it before.

I never successfully got the MSX emulator working on my Wii. Otherwise I'd have played the original a long time ago.
>>
File: scr01.png (14KB, 544x424px) Image search: [Google]
scr01.png
14KB, 544x424px
>>3739525
>I like the NES Soundtrack better
Fair enough. I liked the outdoor theme in that version. BlueMSXWii was pretty serviceable, but you have to set up the ROMs in a weird kind of way. It's not as easy simply pasting the ROM images on a folder.

I ended up just playing the Japanese VC versions, since I was curious over what changes were made in those releases.
>>
>>3739525
You can play the MSX Metal Gears as an unlockable in Metal Gear Solid 3.
>>
File: MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg (1MB, 1496x1942px) Image search: [Google]
MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg
1MB, 1496x1942px
>>3739546
Emulated is much better though.
>Celebrity lookalikes > Shinkawa traceovers
Consistency be damned.
>>
>>3739546

How do you unlock it? And can you unlock it on all versions of the game?

Not that I have a working system that can play the dang thing, but maybe later I will.
>>
>>3738807
NES version, they don't tell you that there's a right side left side combo thing. So just look it up.

Unless you're playing the Famicom version, in which case go find Petrovich in the hidden building on the other end of the "lost forest". He's supposed to tell you the combo, but doesn't in the NES version. Maybe you need to talk to him before trying to computer? I don't now.

Just be warned, that hidden building has a lot of hidden punchable walls. So keep that in mind.
>>
>>3739615

Not that I have plans to go back and beat the game proper any time soon, but what does the game do to indicate that you have to find this "lost forest", and who tells you how to navigate it?

If any game is in need of fixing via romhackers, it's this fucking game.

The key card patch I played with was great, but there really should be better translations.

I think somebody's trying to Hack Metal Gear into the game, but it looks like they've gone quiet.
>>
>>3739631
No. Fucking. Clue.
As a kid, I was where you are 100%. Never for the life of me found that building. Didn't even know it existed. So we never beat that game.

A month ago, I was determined to finish it at least once. Used a walkthrough. Payed attention. There is no indication. Period.

If memory serves, the lost forest is left of that truck you travel to that is secluded on it's own with the tank to the north, and the back door to another building to the south.

Generally speaking you're to go left through the forest, but there's a few ups and downs too.
Shouldn't be too hard to trial and error, but I'd just look it up anyway.

ALSO! That building is a whore of a cunt with bear claws and teeth. Only way I got through was save scumming. Nothing but pit traps and bullshit the whole way through.
>>
File: 2134685-mg18.jpg (106KB, 960x289px) Image search: [Google]
2134685-mg18.jpg
106KB, 960x289px
>>3739598
On the PS2 they're only available on the Subsistence edition and they're on the second disc. On the PS3, 360 and Vita versions they're accessible from the main menu.

>>3739615
Pretty sure the FC and NES version of Metal Gear are the same. The only thing that triggers the destruction of the Super Computer are the rescue of Ellen and Dr. Pettrovich in that order.
>>
>>3739639
Translational differences and a few minor changes specifically those which I mentioned. ie. not needing the left and right combo in the NES version.

I figured there was a trigger for the destruction too. Thanks for that confirmation.
>>
>>3739639
Figures.
I bought subsistence used, but it only had one disc.

I was really late to the Metal Gear party.
>>
>>3739635

God damn, at least Zelda had the deceny to hide the lost woods solution with one of the old people.

And a "lost woods" type area had no business being in Metal Gear NES when there were dozens of other locations that just sent you through a loop for literally no reason.
>>
>>3739642
>not needing the left and right combo in the NES version.
And it's not necessary on the FC version either. I think you're just confusing it with the Metal Gear fight on the MSX2, which does require you to set the bombs on Metal Gear's feet in a certain order.

>>3739707
Yeah, The Essential Collection omitted the second disc of Subsistence because Konami U.S. were cheapskates like that.
>>
>>3739792
>Yeah, The Essential Collection omitted the second disc of Subsistence because Konami U.S. were cheapskates like that.

I bought a used copy of the original game.

To be fair, I didn't look very hard, I just managed to find all 4 games in 2010 for under 30 bucks and got excited.

I didn't even really know what other versions of the game existed.
>>
File: goddamnit.jpg (78KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
goddamnit.jpg
78KB, 500x672px
>>3739223

As with many games, if you dont let the npcs tell you how to progress, you cant progress even if you know how.

in roleplaying we call this metagaming, but in a computer game I dont see it as all that bad of a thing
>>
>>3739842
ok but what if the NPCs don't tell you how to find the NPCs that tell you how to progress?

Like, the NPCs you need to talk to are in a hidden prison that you are given no indication of it's existence or hints on how to cross the forest that leads to it, and it's not like the lost woods in Zelda where this one patch of forest loops you around because almost every outdoor area in the game will loop you if it's not the way you're meant to go.
>>
>>3738807
By turning it off.
>>
>>3739585
Damn straight. Sean Connery is best Big Boss.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.