[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can /vr/ shed any light on if you can turn one of these into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: Nokia_N-Gage.png (429KB, 765x420px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia_N-Gage.png
429KB, 765x420px
can /vr/ shed any light on if you can turn one of these into a phone these days.

Hacking, Cracking, modding, anything Goes....
>>
It started out as a phone and can still be used as one assuming "2g" (HSCSD) is still active in your area. It was literally just shut down in my area like a week ago.

If you want to know what software you can run on it the OS it uses is Symbian S60. There are a LOT of increasingly obscure games for it as well as emulators for first through fourth gen consoles
>>
This ain't retro, friend
>>
>>3735793
If we count Symbian as a platform it would be. This is one of those derailing arguments though and as much as I'd like to help preserve and build interest in Symbian and Java games, it's probably best if we keep the discussion to N-Gage as an emulation platform.
>>
I still use it as a phone without problems.
I am in Europe.
>>
>>3735713
>how can you crack a phone to make it a phone
Literally retarded
>>
File: IMG_8251.jpg (34KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8251.jpg
34KB, 600x512px
>talking about vidya with a russian guy from same uni
>"do you know of..... N-gage?"
>"yeah, why?"
>"I'm a yuuge fan of the system"
>mfw

Fuck, I miss the early 2000's, here in Finland literally everyone used to have a Nokia phone back then.
>>
File: 633419zodiac_1[1].jpg (53KB, 534x334px) Image search: [Google]
633419zodiac_1[1].jpg
53KB, 534x334px
Gram a Gizmondo and a Tapwave Zodiac while you're at it
>>
>>3735914
>Finland
Most of the world dude. Except places where we had good phones.
>>
Well this thing could emulate NES and SNES games, so it could play retro games, it also had Doom. As well as official ports of Pandemonium and THPS.
>>
>>3735914
Nokia was a cool Finnish company until they sold out to Microsoft.
>>
File: NFS3HotPursuit.jpg (28KB, 420x540px) Image search: [Google]
NFS3HotPursuit.jpg
28KB, 420x540px
>>3735948
>Gizmondo
Ferrari Enzo is not retro! Even if completely torn apart.
>>
>wanting to talk on the taco phone
>>
>>3736183
Nokia was pretty good. They still are but since they literally just announced their first ever Android phone they got stomped on by everyone else.
>>
I wish there was an Ngage emulator. My ngage died.
>>
>>3736954
I'll agree with you on the was. Not on the still are. They sold their soul to MS and bought their name back when MS was outselling them anything:0
>>
>>3737024
Ah, right, forgout about that.

I'll correct myself: They were still good well into the Smartphone era*.

Did they bought themselves back? I heard the new Nokia phone is coming out first on China.
>>
>>3736819
It had Tomb Raider (2?) as well.
>>
>>3738202
Nah it was 1
>>
red faction was the shit but hard to play.
>>3735914
>>3735914
didnt know if sim size mattered. there are two different types I thought.
>>
>>3737103
I think they're die.
But they did make awesome phones back in the day. I had a couple of the 9ks and the mini gurl phone things. Sucks they didn't work in jap and burger lands. But we had way cooler phones in japland. Way suckier phones in burgerland.
>>
>>3735713
This shit had cool games, both .sys, .jar and N-gage games.

I still remember Ashen and Pathway to glory, which is one of the best TBS games EVER.

I still have an old N70 Nokia phones, solely to play Pathway to Glory from time to time.

I hope they make a re-release for android or steam because that game was good.
>>
>tfw no N-Gage emulator
>>
Fun fact: The N Gage sold more units faster than the Wii U
>>
They almost had a decent system with the N-Gage QD remake. IIRC you had to hold the original N-Gage when using it as a phone in such a way that the screen would be pointing in the same direction of your face, meaning you were showing everyone your screen while you were talking on it.

The QD fixed that by having the screen pointed toward your ear when using it as a phone, which was immensely less stupid.

>QD" is primarily a marketing designation, and does not officially stand for anything

I always assumed they just added the QD to imitate Nintendo's Game Boy Advance "SP" designation.
>>
File: Nokia-N-Gage-QD-978.jpg (156KB, 1212x734px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-N-Gage-QD-978.jpg
156KB, 1212x734px
>>3738770
Forgot to post pic related.
>>
>>3738772
>>3738770
My brother had (and still has, hell the thing probably still works) one of these. He loved the thing and I remember borrowing it to play Castlevania: Bloodlines emulated on it.

It was beat to hell and survived being drenched many times. The screen has a weird aspect ration and the D-pad sucks, but I still had loads of fun on it.

I wonder how good they actually are for emulation.
>>
Guys
This thing was the shit. The downside was that it didn't play the NGage "1.0" games, only "2.0"
And the shit battery life, I mean real shit.
But it took beautiful photos and was a joy to have, at least to me.
>>
>>3738727
>Units sold: 3 million (as of 30 July 2007)

wrong.
>>
>>3738770
>>3738772
QDs corrupt MMC cards though. Tacos don't.

>>3739371
Did it keep its rubber bumper? They always come off.

>>3739385
I actually won an auction for one of these cheap with free shipping from some british lady. She didn't realize the shipping to the US would be so expensive, tried to insist it wouldn't work here and ultimately pulled out of the contract. I really tore her up on feedback and she tried to leave me bad feedback but ebay removed it. Still never got my N95 though.
>>
>>3739540
the british are awful on ebay man, trying to track down megadrive games and having to buy from that country is the pits.
>>
>>3739673
Yeah there's some company that sells 100 yuro Amiga CD32s but they straight up do not ship to the US.
>>
>>3739385
Shit, nigga, this was the best phone ever! Incredible camera for the time (5mpx with Carl Zeiss lens and a cover that, when opened, automatically turned on the camera app), played the best mobile games, awesome screen and more buttons than you would ever need, stereo sound. God damn, this was a power house. Still have mine laying around and turn it on once a year just to fuck around with it
>>
>>3736948
I understood that.
>>
Is sidetalking.com still a thing?
>>
>>3739673
Nah. We cool, I own my own ebay shop in England never any issue. 100% feedback. If you order from abroad and she wanted more for postage thats something ive done often since people from random scotish islands like to pull shit on me all the time. EBay will remove negs if you handle your shit calmly.
>>
>>3740998
>nah we cool
>I often refuse to fulfill my contractual obligations
>but we cool
If you can't offer flat rate shipping, DON'T. British sellers confirmed awful.
>>
File: FOTOCOPIADORA_CANON_NP-6035.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
FOTOCOPIADORA_CANON_NP-6035.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>3740971

I remember this site. Along with all those 'hopkin green frog' variants, this was just an 'in-joke' back then and was never labelled a 'meme' IIRC.

Also this guy looks like my dad so I've never forgotten about sidetalking.
>>
>>3741358
I do. Its done by postcode which ebay is shit at handling. Not my bad. Ebay know this, I got this set up the best way it can be, glad I don't post to murica.
>>
>>3735807
Platform as a rule was in regards to hardware not software so you wouldn't have people freaking out when someone posts something like Perfect Dark.
>>
>>3741380
Sure are a lot of Retro AVS and PSP threads for the rule to be like that
>>
>>3741381
That's because mods forget this board exists and we're stuck with one janitor who blatantly disregards the rules if it's about a subject she likes.

I don't really care though I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing.
>>
File: tmp_20546-166-1382948297.gif (916KB, 245x285px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_20546-166-1382948297.gif
916KB, 245x285px
>>3741385
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.