[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question about the whole retro trend happening right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

I have a question about the whole retro trend happening right now in reference to indie games.

Does it deserve all the praise it gets these days? Why is it happening? As /vr/, for myself, I think it's a bit of a childish trend. I honestly had enough pixel art back in the day and it's not like any of these games are going to the snes level of quality, when games were looking gorgeous. I'm just not sure if it's really a thing, if it's just a cult thing drilled into their brain, or if it's just a desperate attempt to grasp at any game that is considered "good and old fashioned."

I find it a little contradictory that gamers would want games like the good ole days, but if they were really from those days, they'd be like me who is mostly done with that low quality style. I like clarity in my graphics.
>>
>>3733043
Neat, I have that exact same little game holder, though I wasn't aware it originally came with a lid too.
>>
I don't mind the pixel art. I just want them to step away from the "8-bit" meme. They're not even doing it right anyway.

I'd much rather they do something like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, or that Scott Pilgrim game.

Just... no more passing MS Paint stick men off as "Retro"
>>
>>3733064
Yeah, waiting for the 16 bit to pop up, which will be never.
>>
You would think with how much Mario shit they have in the OP image they would actually be playing Mario.
>>
>>3733269
Mario merc was the Mickey mouse of gaming. Even sega kids had them.
>>
Yeah some modern pixel games -do- look gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JSt_Y_0X4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po8k2n6MzxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wWuVc6sLU

It's just an artstyle. Complaining about it is like complaining about adding film grain to movies and shit. It's a stylistic choice and often works just fine.
>>
File: eva.gif (184KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
eva.gif
184KB, 500x341px
>>3733043
It's a reaction to 2 things:

1) South Park hit the nail on the head with Member Berries. The new devs are the old kids who grew up on NES and the like.

2) A lot of what makes retro charming is making something special out of limited hardware. The constraints old devs worked with helped shape the medium into what it became. In modern times, hardware has become completely homogeneous and over powered to the point of very little is imposed on the creator. This sounds fantastic at first because it gives a dev ultimate control, but you realize their is very little to help guide you because there is nothing to push back against.

In true weeb fashion, I think End of Eva had a really really good scene that explains this. During instrumentality, Shinji finds himself floating in a void, a world with no restrictions. He finds it difficult to know what to do. Suddenly a line appears to act as ground that he could stand on. He understands that this ground is a constraint on what he can and can't do, but at the same time, he feels less lost because know he can walk around. I think modern devs are somewhat similar, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>3733287
It makes sense. However, if I were to make an argument, I would say that the vast ocean of possibilities should separate the true creative from the ones who need a line. Aka, the person who can draw their own lines inevitably will be valued more. Though I guess it can also be sort of the analogy of looking for diamonds in the river.
>>
>>3733043
>retro trend
>indie games

Indie games have nothing to do with retro games. They don't comply with any kind of retro restrictions. If you mean sprite art, they just use that because they're lazy and untalented at art.
>>
>>3733278
Azure Striker Gunvolt is pretty good. I'd say it's like a new Mega Man X/Mega Man Zero.
Though the "s/he" character is a bit ridiculous, it was quite hilarious to see it die without even having to fight it
>>
>>3733081
>>
I like Faster Than Light, it has pretty simple 16-bit sprites but damn it if it isn't a good game.

Hotline Miami is heavily inspired by the first two GTA games and they don't try to hide it.

Enter the Gungeon also works just well with the pixelated sprites, yeah the characters are ugly as fuck but in exchange you get fluid gameplay.

Also I agree with this anon >>3733287 look at shit like The Hobbit, filmed at 1k frames per second and retarded definition that allows you to pause and zoom-in and check the background's details yet is a shit movie.

On the other hand you have lazy shit like undertale that has no bussines being so ugly, Touhou is a one-man project and it's nowhere near as ugly.
>>
>>3733081
Freedom Planet.
>>
They don't have any actual talent for creating art. It's as simple as that really. Otherwise we'd be getting Neo Geo level art at least. Instead it's really just cynical pandering to brainless Nintendo worshipers.
>>
>>3733442
Shovel Knight tells you to shove off with your memes.
>>
>>3733064
>HEY GUYS LOOK WE GOT AN AUTHENTIC 8 BIT GAME CALLED SHOVEL KNIGHT THIS IS AS CLOSE AS ITS GONNA GET BOYS
>universal praise by normies for being "just like muh nes"
>uses colors that werent on the original nes pallete
>has fucking parallax scrolling, something the nes didnt fucking have
>is this even actual 8 bits? no
>>
>>3733478
this desu. why dont we see any shit like the 32bit 2d games on the ps1? why dont we see any 16 bit graphics? and when we do see 16 bit "like" graphics, theyre made in such a way to show the least ammount of detail or color so it looks like less cause muh nostalgia fags. i remember seeing the detail on the character sprites in chrono trigger and being amazed when i was a kid. you could see their eyes, clear shapes for hands, you could even somewhat see the creases on their clothes like how they were supposed to fit loosely, holy fuck this was great.
now that we have the technology to make so much more, people still insist on making EVERY retro syled game 8bit or as close to 8 bit as they can.
>MUH NES
>>
>>3733043
>I like clarity in my graphics.

Which is something modern games lack because they are covered in pointless noise, clutter, and filters which make it hard to focus on the actual game. I don't understand your complaint at all. It's like saying if a movie isn't in 16:9 or is B&W then it's automatically shit.
>>
>>3733491
>has fucking parallax scrolling, something the nes didnt fucking have

Shatterhand?
Mega Man V (jetski part in Wave Man stage) ?
>>
These retro games are the closest thing we still have to old games we have.

You can't just throw them all away like this, because if you actually try to look into them, you'll find good games like Mega Man 9/10, Castlevania Rebirth; and then the sales of those opened the path for games of that play style with more modern graphic style if that's what you're into, good games like Wario Land Shake Dimension or Rayman Origins.

These games are literaly the only come back to the kind of games WE like.

Dismissing the entirety of it because there is also crap among them just proves you only play old games for nostalgia, and not because you actually like the gameplay and graphical styles. Spoiler: there is a lot of trash in old games too, the games we talk about on /vr/ are only the top of the sack.
>>
>>3733507

Even Hummer Team games had parallax scrolling ffs.
>>
>>3733043
In my opinion as a faggotdev:
1) Because it takes more effort/manpower to produce good 3D graphics than 2D
2) Because retro games actually offer interesting gameplay features.

I actually started playing old games to get the style and for ideas.
>>
>>3733465
Too bad that game is all art and little gameplay.
>>
>>3733462

Xe (or whatever) is the main antagonist of 2 but they drop the pronoun thing. Copen mode is also at least twice as fun as Gunvolt is to play, check it out if you liked the first one.
>>
>>3733478

There are counterexamples in this thread alreayd posted jackass

Why does everyone act like every pixel artist is Jason Rohrer?
>>
>>3734001
3D graphics really do take a shit load of time, even with great tools like Blender to facilitate the job. When it comes down to it, you need massive teams of people to model and skin shit, and you really don't realize how much programming is involved with producing good 3D, unlike 2D where you just draw some pixels.
>>
>>3733507
He's just regurgitating what Zero Punctuation said about the game, despite him apologizing for his mistake on his blog and admitting he's never played the NES in his life.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.