[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the VR recommended method for restoring yellow plastic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: SNES-AB.jpg (23KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-AB.jpg
23KB, 500x332px
Whats the VR recommended method for restoring yellow plastics to their former glory?

I have a Apple II GS (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc are all yellowed), SNES, NES (us front loading type) and probably some other stuff I forgot about.

I hear lots of contradictory information, some methods seem to damage the plastic, others don't work, etc. Trying to get a trust worthy opinion on this stuff.

The peroxide method seems to be what I see a lot of - get some stuff from hair salons (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RYQITU) slap it on top, put it in a bag and leave in the sun.

Is this really the best way? The bleaching thing sounds pretty easy to do and totally ruin it. Not to mention leaving shit in the sun is just beh. UV lamp would be a little better I'm guessing.

Still that method seems uh not great.
>>
>>3732856
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HUmgzF16ew
>>
Retrobrite is the best anyone has figured out so far, but even it needs to be reapplied after several years or the yellowing will return
>>
It might be worth it if you are selling it and want to get top dollar, but otherwise I wouldn't try and restore it.

It's not worth the risk of making the plastic brittle. The plastic becoming brittle is problematic because it can be more susceptible to cracks when unscrewing etc.
>>
>>3732891

video >>3732880
posted says having it yellow actually degrades the plastic over time.
>>
The discoloration is caused by UV light breaking down the polymer chains of the plastic along the surface of the material. Whatever you do that works will essentially be removing the discolored plastic layer. Chemicals are the way to go, but be sure of what ever you do ("apply to a small unseen area of the carpet first") because you could make it worse.
>>
>>3732856
Peroxide UV bleaching works fine. The sun is actually a good UV source in this case as uniformity is more important than intensity.

>>3732891
>le ebik brittle maymay
>>
>>3732898
It's oxidization causing it do your research.
>>
>>3732856
You don't. The vintage look makes it more valuable.
>>
>>3733382
We are both right.
>>
>>3732856
the skin method
>>
>>3733680
easy to apply

https://youtu.be/JCnCh8eDJ08

you can even do retro brite and put de skin after to protect it from the light and dont worry about yelowing never again
>>
>>3732856
>Whats the VR recommended method for restoring yellow plastics to their former glory?
Don't
>>
>>3732856
Paint it.
youtube.com/watch?v=p8of2snQLp4
>>
>>3734121
Having your console match your yellow teeth is only a PAL thing m8.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.