[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Link a Christian elf? >The Book of Magic resembles a stereotypical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Christianity.png (151KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
Christianity.png
151KB, 550x720px
Was Link a Christian elf?
>The Book of Magic resembles a stereotypical depiction of the holy book of Christianity, the Bible, as it has a cross on its cover. This is because the Japanese version of the game actually called the item the Bible. This was likely changed due to Nintendo of America's guidelines. In spite of this, the later Famicom cartridge edition retains both names, with Bible in Japanese and Book of Magic in English text beside it. In addition, the shields used by Link and Darknuts also have a cross painted on it.
Switching the Holy Bible into a magic grimoire is an odd case of censorship if you ask me.

>Although [A Link to the Past] rang in the religion of the Golden Goddesses and the Triforce, official artwork was released regardless that depicted Link kneeling before a crucifix.
>Right before the entrance to the Desert Palace, Link finds a tablet which, if read by using the Book of Mudora, tells him to pray to open the door. He then draws a cross on his chest while the first nine notes of the Sanctuary theme play. Incidentally, there is a pentagram inside of the Desert Palace in the Japanese version, though this was replaced with a nonsensical symbol in International versions. The Loyal Sage character was also a priest in the Japanese version, and his Sanctuary was intended to be a church.
Now I didn't know about the Pentagram...is there a Japanese version Romhack with English script? I want to revisit the old Zelda games with their original features intact, including OoT with the Islamic prayer in the fire cave.
>>
Christianity is a novelty to them it's sort of like Westerners making some buff bald guy and slapping some big spherical prayer beads on him without really bothering to know much about it.
>>
>>3732458
It's true but that's not to say they wouldn't do their research. I rather like the implications of Link being a Christian elf and the Gerudo being a tribe of Islamic people (and by extension Ganondorf)
>>
Hindu swastika (Zelda 1)

Arabic references, Moon crescent, sheikh, etc, (OoT)
>>
>>3732470
Thats what I've always taken from it. Just a vibe I get.
>>
File: nagako.jpg (10KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
nagako.jpg
10KB, 250x150px
Well, Nagako Ikuta from Nintendo, to whom Aonuma himself refers to as "a Zelda walking encyclopedia", is a christian herself.
>>
>>3732470
The only problem being they let the women run shit
>>
>>3732458
This. Christian and crusader imagery is "exotic" to the Japanese, in the same way Buddhism and martial arts are exotic to the west.
>>
If he was, this is thrown out entirely by the time OoT rolled around.
>>
>>3732487
Yeah, whatever religious symbolism or real world parallels there might have been in the past is all eschewed for pure fantasy by now
>>
>>3732438
Source on that concept art? That doesn't look official.
>>
It was retconned.

/thread
>>
>>3732581
It's almost certainly a strategy guide, I want to say one of the german ones.
>>
Zelda pulls a lot of cultural and religious aspects from the real world.
>>
>>3732470
It's sort of fitting how the Gerudo are apparently a monotheistic culture (worshiping a singular sand goddess), while the Hylians are trinitarian (worshiping the three goddesses). It really fits with the Christianity/Islam parallels.
>>
>>3732719
If only middle eastern people were literally like Gerudo. I'd let them cultural enrich me.
>>
religious references aside, Link is mainly based on epic heroes - gilgamesh, theseus, beowulf, galahad, and the rest. he fights alone (as opposed to being part of a team eg final fantasy), he relies on courage, skill, and wits to overcome more powerful foes, he battles ferocious monsters, he travels far and wide, he saves a princess, he is assisted by wise sages, he proves himself worthy of attaining holy relics.

if you consider all the recurring themes in Legend of Zelda, the most apparent source material is epic storytelling.
>>
File: Navi_Artwork.png (44KB, 347x330px) Image search: [Google]
Navi_Artwork.png
44KB, 347x330px
>>3732787
>he fights alone
???
>>
>>3732801
sure he's got a fairy helper, but the point still stands.
>>
>>3732438
>hyrule
>hylia
>triangles

No, he's a Platonist.
>>
Link pretty much goes on a one man crusade and massacres hundreds of demihumans and foreigners in every installment

to reclaim the symbol of divinity from the desert king to put it to rest in it's rightful place under the control of a princess in a european inspired country

sort of like how tolkein is also inspired by the crusades
>>
File: tmp_20155-original461494634.jpg (194KB, 950x763px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_20155-original461494634.jpg
194KB, 950x763px
I think Zelda 1 and 2 were intended to be set in a Christian world. They then retconned the religion for ALttP.

And they retconned elves, dwarves, etc. in Zelda 64.

Why?

I think Japan had become less Westernboo by that time.
>>
>>3733008

I wish this art style would make a comeback, it alnost looks like something Jean Giraud would
draw
>>
>>3733460
That isn't official art though, it was used in an unofficial guide
>>
>>3732801
There were games before OoT, child.
>>
>>3732801
That's like Pallas Athene helping Telemachos in the Odyssey
>>
File: link-animated.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
link-animated.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>3733560
Well excuuuuse me, Anonymous!
>>
>>3733486
>That isn't official art
Yes it is. Terada's art was featured in multiple Nintendo Power (an official publication) articles, and also in several official Nintendo guides.
>>
>>3732787
>gilgamesh
>fights alone

bitch did you just forget about motherfucking enkidu
>>
>>3733460

I would legit kill someone for a Dark Souls style Zelda game with this art style.
>>
>>3736017
Sure, don't hold your breath in hopes that it will ever appear in some kind of official Zelda art book or anything.
>>
>>3733560
Technically there were fairies in the first game, and he was getting help from old folk.
>>
>>3732470
i used to kid that the Gerudo were jews, i wouldn't read that much into it
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.